Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dandywalken posted:

Orbital cooldown upgrades should be more substantial imo.

Would love to see the barrage upgrade be more generalized. Rail cannon getting a second aimed shot and laser getting +1 charge or something would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
People are sleeping on the orbital airburst. If you put it on a bug breach you can get 50 kills with it in one go and it has a pretty fast cooldown.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly with both Laser and Mech they should just drop the limited uses aspect entirely, especially considering the incredibly long timers they have attached to them anyways, like I'd love to be able to take the Mech on missions but it's so limited in nature that it just feels like a waste of a slot(maybe if there was a way to refill the ammo on it or something)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sindai posted:

Dominator review: not a bad weapon, but weirdly feels weaker than the Scorcher even against devastators, where you wouldn't expect being explosive to make much difference. The most sensible buff would be to get rid of the high recoil (because the rounds are jet-propelled after they leave the barrel) so it would be easier to take advantage of the high rate of fire.

I find the dominator to be a much better Bug weapon than Bot weapon. It doesn't have the precision you want for bots (trying to hit the a dominator/berserker in the face with the recoil, flinch, and poor handling is an exercise in frustration) but for bugs it can easily handle everything smaller than a charger since you can just punch right through the armor and blow limbs off.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Orbitals are pretty good but the difficulty causing them to take ten seconds to fall instead of five makes them unreliable

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So, the Arc Blitzer. If I have 5 enemies in front of me, it might kill 4 and it might kill 1. What am I doing wrong?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly with both Laser and Mech they should just drop the limited uses aspect entirely, especially considering the incredibly long timers they have attached to them anyways, like I'd love to be able to take the Mech on missions but it's so limited in nature that it just feels like a waste of a slot(maybe if there was a way to refill the ammo on it or something)

Letting the Mech pick up ammo but having only one charge seems like a fair trade off

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

So, the Arc Blitzer. If I have 5 enemies in front of me, it might kill 4 and it might kill 1. What am I doing wrong?

Using it for starters :v:

In all seriousness, it is probably the same issue that the arc thrower has. Imagine that there's a cone eminating from the barrel. You've got to try to have as much as of that cone to NOT intersect with the ground, as the more of the cone is intersecting with the ground, the less likely you're going to max out on damage.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im still proud of the Comptroller of Conviviality
Princess of Family Values reporting in!

(A friend suggested that Democracy Manifest needs to be added as a ship name so Australians can tell each other apart)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Arc Blitzer mostly just needs some damage

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
they're both your trump cards for dangerous situations where you need to hold ground and already absurdly powerful. The laser doesn't require you to aim, sweeps up light to medium bugs and pretty much everything about bots up and doesn't suffer from basically any modifiers besides the cooldown one.

The mech can clean up like 5-6 heavies in a couple seconds with the rockets and pretty much murderize anything lighter already with the minigun.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah the laser is already one of the best stratagems in the game, incredibly powerful and versatile, will reliably wipe out a bot outpost on its own and a great panic button for pretty much any situation. The mech is much more situational but is extremely powerful against bugs, especially on blitz or eradicate missions. There are many many worse stratagems in the game that need help.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Assuming that it exists as people claim it does(and the videos linked earlier are fairly convincing), fixing the issues with DoT damage(fire, gas) vs enemies not working if you're not host is the #1 thing I want fixed.
#2 thing I want fixed is reticle issues on AMR/HMG.
#3 is general buffs for a number of weaker primaries/secondaries.

Buffing lesser offensive stratagems I guess would come after that, but it barely registers in my mind compared to those 3.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

People are sleeping on the orbital airburst. If you put it on a bug breach you can get 50 kills with it in one go and it has a pretty fast cooldown.

It's super good against bugs for exactly this reason.

You can toss it a ways behind you to clean up a chasing patrol of either bots or bugs, you can throw it in a bug nest or a bot base to absolutely clean house before going in to close holes or destroy factories, you can toss it at a bot patrol that you just happen across while running away from two other bot patrols and it works pretty well. But it really really shines against bug breaches. You see a bug breach alert plaster itself across your screen, look around for the orange plume, and the toss your beacon in the middle of it as soon as you see bugs start to emerge from the ground. It'll cut a breach in half, everything smaller than a charger will just get shredded for the next ten seconds or so, 40-60 kills easy.

It's blast radius is another one that's kind of deceptively large, I've definitely killed plenty of fellow helldivers and myself with orbital airburst multiple multiple times. This makes it extra hilarious with the increased orbital scatter condition.

And like all orbitals it comes from your ship so while it's usually a very predictable circle aoe it can get kind of smeared out at an angle when you're near the edge of the map. So overall it can have some odd and extremely friendly fire heavy consequences but holy crap does it obliterate bug breaches.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Are those sidegrade weapons all still considered trash, cause I tried the med penetrating AR and it was pretty good against bots.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love orbital airburst but it's up there with cluster bombs and 380s for teamkilling constantly since the AOE changes depending on where on the map you are.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I have never had luck with orbital airburst, it just seems to tickle everyone.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

haddedam posted:

Are those sidegrade weapons all still considered trash, cause I tried the med penetrating AR and it was pretty good against bots.
Against bots there's 6 different groups a weapon has to be judged against:
Raiders
Berserkers
Devastators
Striders
Hulks
Tanks

If your primary weapon isn't good against the first two it should be really good against devastators and striders, and the Liberator Pen doesn't really specialize against any of them. It's not unusable it's just kinda worse against everything than other options.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The stratagem balance is honestly quite good. Most of the stuff that you never see isn't bad, it's just niche.

The only stratagems that I think are actively bad/outclassed are the Stalwart, the Ballistic Shield, and the Machine Gun Sentry

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

haddedam posted:

I have never had luck with orbital airburst, it just seems to tickle everyone.

I just started using it and I'm having the opposite experience. It's fast cool down means I'm in the habit of using it as often as possible against groups of troops, strikers and devastates. Rips em up, especially on chokepoints.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, the airburst and the Eagle cannon strike are my go-to chaff clearers, the latter for how safe it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://i.imgur.com/NKq2la7.mp4

this annoyed me

https://i.imgur.com/TEqp96C.mp4

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The stratagem balance is honestly quite good. Most of the stuff that you never see isn't bad, it's just niche.

The only stratagems that I think are actively bad/outclassed are the Stalwart, the Ballistic Shield, and the Machine Gun Sentry
I have to disagree on the Stalwart, as an anti-bug weapon it's pretty fantastic for mopping up hordes of hunters and warriors. It's slow at killing brood commanders but you can still saw their legs off. Use it as your primary with Slugger as backup for picking off medium armoured stragglers.

My pick would be the 120mm barrage, it's just extremely underwhelming. The 380mm barrage kills things, the 120mm is just some pathetic tiny explosions that are too slow and spread out to be useful with a gigantic cooldown.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

haddedam posted:

Some of the sidegrades are still trash (countersniper diligence, concussive liberator) but a bunch are a lot better than they initially were like the breaker sidegrades

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Fattest PI posted:

Stuff like the Orbital Walking Barrage really piques my interest but I have no idea if that kind of thing is any good.

walking barrage is actually p good, it's concentrated enough to kill most or all of a large bot base and it's over relatively quickly unlike the 120/380

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sindai posted:

I love orbital airburst but it's up there with cluster bombs and 380s for teamkilling constantly since the AOE changes depending on where on the map you are.

Check your map before firing, soldier!

Brasch tactics - use em or die trying

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tank towers are my bane on bot missions, what do people do against them? It seems like sometimes I can just turn a corner and get sniped.

If I can get close to drop an airstrike I'm good, but I can't reliably get the two EAT shots to the back to kill before it starts turning. I see clips of people taking it out with the laser cannon or auto cannon but I don't seem fast enough.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WarpedLichen posted:

Tank towers are my bane on bot missions, what do people do against them? It seems like sometimes I can just turn a corner and get sniped.

If I can get close to drop an airstrike I'm good, but I can't reliably get the two EAT shots to the back to kill before it starts turning. I see clips of people taking it out with the laser cannon or auto cannon but I don't seem fast enough.

Sneak up behind it and blow its vents up

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I don't see the Punisher get a lot of love here but it's my go to weapon for bugs if I'm running something that clears large groups (Arc Thrower, GL, etc). It fires pellets which makes it a fantastic "Oh poo poo" button because you can just point and blast, the damage is high, whatever it doesn't kill it pushes back, the spread can kill clumped little bugs, and it's rounds reload so you can always be topped off. The stagger and pushback are the real benefits to me, it is incredibly useful to make anything smaller than a charger get the hell out of your face if it doesn't die outright.

But most importantly it's basically a hard counter to Stalkers. It stops them in their tracks, pushes them back, and will outright kill them with 2-3 shots at most without requiring the precise aim of the Slugger. I used to dread them... and well I still do. But once I know the direction they're coming from I can easily handle 2 or 3 on my own while I push into their nest and get rid of those fuckers for good.

Slugger for bots and Punisher for bugs is becoming my go-to primary choice for each faction.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Auto Cannon takes 3 shots to the vents and the cannon starts turning towards you at the first hit so you’ve got to be quick.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Defense missions against bugs are a lot easier if you stack up on the edge of the map instead of in the middle I guess.

Just finished one and at the start pubbies called down two mechs and some turrets. The first mech landed, the second mech was dropped on top of the first mech. Kind of floated in the air for 10 seconds, then glided off and blew up, taking out the 3 turrets :v:
Even so it was nice just having the bugs come from 2 different directions in like a 60 degree cone, instead of all directions with no safe place to drop hell. With the eagles I pretty much just lob em at the first viable targets I see as quick as I can so I can get the rearm cooldown going, and do it again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scorcher takes a clip to destroy it. Along with impact grenades.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

The vent weakspot is ideal, of course, but if you have EAT/RR/Quasar, two hits to the moving part will kill it from any direction, no need to fuss unless it's looking right at you, then it'll probably shoot you. It's just the barbette that's immune to everything.

Unfortunately, while turrets turn slowly, the Quasar's rate of fire is even slower, so you can't just sit there and wait with that. I usually bring a smoke stratagem. Enemy AI will definitely know what you're doing if you're hiding behind a single tiny rock, but smoke can help you relocate enough to get your second shot off before the turret does. And hey, eagle smoke projectiles still hit hard enough to destroy bot fabricators on direct hits without having to hope one goes down the mail slot, like with cluster bombs.

Also, while I always use the spot function in the hope that a red HUD marker floating well above the enemy base will spark recognition, other players will reliably cross open ground and may cause the turret to look away from you.

As you say, the right stratagems kill them if you're in throwing distance (even the eagle 110mm rocket pod attack knows to aim at the top part if the beacon lands close enough), but I've also had success just throwing smoke at their base to keep them from seeing anything. Probably depends on relative elevation compared to their targets, though.

Especially in quick play, a turret or two in a base is definitely something you want to manage if you don't want to be down half a dozen tickets or more for the rest of the mission :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 2, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hakarne posted:

I don't see the Punisher get a lot of love here but it's my go to weapon for bugs if I'm running something that clears large groups (Arc Thrower, GL, etc). It fires pellets which makes it a fantastic "Oh poo poo" button because you can just point and blast, the damage is high, whatever it doesn't kill it pushes back, the spread can kill clumped little bugs, and it's rounds reload so you can always be topped off. The stagger and pushback are the real benefits to me, it is incredibly useful to make anything smaller than a charger get the hell out of your face if it doesn't die outright.

But most importantly it's basically a hard counter to Stalkers. It stops them in their tracks, pushes them back, and will outright kill them with 2-3 shots at most without requiring the precise aim of the Slugger. I used to dread them... and well I still do. But once I know the direction they're coming from I can easily handle 2 or 3 on my own while I push into their nest and get rid of those fuckers for good.
I've been a fan of it for a long while now. Punisher is as you say very good for stalkers with higher raw damage than the slugger, and also it's way better against hunters than the slugger. Situationally it can be better against hunters than the breaker, too-both can oneshot hunters with bodyshots but punisher does it more consistently due to its higher damage, and if they're not clumped up tightly the lower RoF is fine because it's often about the time it takes to switch your aim to the next one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Fattest PI posted:

Defense missions against bugs are a lot easier if you stack up on the edge of the map instead of in the middle I guess.
On the open flat map it certainly does. I was in a goon game where the host dropped us on the edge because he was fairly new and had no idea what he was doing and it was so much easier.

I guess it's not something you hear a lot because it's pretty tough to fail bug eradication missions in the first place.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I really wasn't having trouble hitting bugs with the slugger at all and so I never went back to the punisher, especially because the slugger is real good against all the small armor targets.

And then the fliers got introduced and they flop around too much to try and hit them with slugs so spread shot it is.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

re: Orbitals, in my experience most of them have their uses. Gatling, Airburst, and Precision strikes are workhorses, Laser and Railcannon are sometimes foods that ignore Complex Stratagem Plotting, and Smoke strike kicks rear end for bots.

Gas strike used to be one of my favorites but is less useful right now. EMS strike is probably the only strike I feel is outright inferior to similar options and hard to justify a whole slot for, but I also haven't really used it much to begin with so maybe there's more use cases for it than I think.

Barrages are pretty gimmicky though yeah. Even still, while individually unreliable, they transform into a reenactment of the ending of Fight Club if multiple people huck 380s in the same area.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 2, 2024

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Darox posted:

I have to disagree on the Stalwart, as an anti-bug weapon it's pretty fantastic for mopping up hordes of hunters and warriors. It's slow at killing brood commanders but you can still saw their legs off. Use it as your primary with Slugger as backup for picking off medium armoured stragglers.

My pick would be the 120mm barrage, it's just extremely underwhelming. The 380mm barrage kills things, the 120mm is just some pathetic tiny explosions that are too slow and spread out to be useful with a gigantic cooldown.

Yeah, the stalwart is amazing in it's niche, and I think compares favorably to the machine gun between it's ammo allotment, ability to shoot 1200 rpm and the fact it can reload while moving.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Eagle 110s, Autocannon them from across the map, the recoil reduction armor helps with getting 3 shots off fast enough.

Stalwart owns as long as you take a medium armor penetrating or plasma punisher or scorcher as a primary to swap to when brood commander's show up.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I did some missions with both the 500 bomb and precision at the same time, to try and get used to aiming precisions again and get some comparisons. But holy poo poo it was more miserable than I remembered.

500 bomb damage might be a lot smaller than the explosion. But it safe to say it is much wider than precision after way too many cases of trying to Precision a factory, and it not counting (yes I have the upgrades), or being more hurt by hard deflecting off the side of the factories than 500 bombs ever are.

So yeah. As fond of it as I was early on? In hindsight it really does feel like it is held back on purpose as a "Low chance of killing yourself with a slow calldown, micro blast radius orbit" style option. I doubt my chances killing a tank with precision. I like my odds at least hurting them with the big boy bomb.