Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Air Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'm bad at knowing weird borders, where does Canada have a border with Denmark, and is Spanish Morocco still a thing, they didn't give it back?
Spanish Sahara is no data longer a thing, but the enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla on the northern shores still exist.

Canada/Denmark is the Arctic island they recently split down the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Basically the scramble for africa era spanish morroco was given back, but the medieval spanish morroco wasn't.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

That's going to far in other direction: Mongols shattered the lands of Rus, and when Moscow rose to the top of the remnants they claimed right to rule all of the successors (I think it's reasonable to associate that with Ivan III). That's what the true meaning of "Russia": it's an imperialist land grab (and one very relevant to the day).

lmao, this is what happens when you learn history from reddit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1774195693323792556 https://twitter.com/sillythemby/status/1770991936540655658

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:discourse: that a map with the JFK assassination on it is such a perfect illustration of the Texas sharpshooter fallacy.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guavanaut posted:

:discourse: that a map with the JFK assassination on it is such a perfect illustration of the Texas sharpshooter fallacy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Globalists faked the moon, it's all a plot by nasa, know why they faked the moon landing? cos there wasn't a moon to land on.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

You can drive from Texline in the upper corner of the Texas panhandle to Port Isabel at the mouth of the Rio Grande in 14 hours, and you can do it without bouncing back and forth across your state like a dumbass Yankee ping pong ball.

I genuinely do not understand what this person thought they were achieving with this tweet.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You can drive from Texline in the upper corner of the Texas panhandle to Port Isabel at the mouth of the Rio Grande in 14 hours, and you can do it without bouncing back and forth across your state like a dumbass Yankee ping pong ball.

I genuinely do not understand what this person thought they were achieving with this tweet.

I think they were probably riffing off a similar comment about Texas by making a deliberately absurd and comedic version for a small US state

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It’s a joke, OP.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Globalists faked the moon, it's all a plot by nasa, know why they faked the moon landing? cos there wasn't a moon to land on.

It's a space station

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They built a life-sized fake moon in earth's orbit so that they could land on it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

People still think about Whitewater?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

jeebus bob posted:

People still think about Whitewater?

The kind of people who think that map is meaningful do.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I love that "Finger Lakes" is the last entry. Clearly, lakes formed by processes from millions to thousands of years ago are a Clinton conspiracy!

(The real conclusion is that we have too many drat school shootings).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im pretty sure if you rotated a band of that size in any arbitrary direction across the US you could get a half dozen school shootings

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

The kind of people who think that map is meaningful do.

For anyone else who had never heard of it, I guess it is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_controversy

But it doesn't the pattern of the rest of the things at all. It's not an assassination nor a mass shooting / mass casualty event. It's like... maybe a dubious home loan of relatively small value that went to someone who was friends with the Clintons when he was governor, but doesn't directly involve the Clintons and was a $300k home loan and happened more than 30 years ago.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

But it doesn't the pattern of the rest of the things at all. It's not an assassination nor a mass shooting / mass casualty event. It's like... maybe a dubious home loan of relatively small value that went to someone who was friends with the Clintons when he was governor, but doesn't directly involve the Clintons and was a $300k home loan and happened more than 30 years ago.

our standard for controversies was weirdly high in the late 80s though the 90s and 00s

also I think its also linked to them having vince carter killed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love that the place some politician was born matters at all in this anal-astrology

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im pretty sure if you rotated a band of that size in any arbitrary direction across the US you could get a half dozen school shootings

New game show where teams race across the US but they have to stick to a randomly chosen line of latitude

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Saladman posted:

This sort of person thinks the Clinton Body Count is a thing, and some of that must have been to cover up Whitewater, so...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I love that the place some politician was born matters at all in this anal-astrology

Not enough happened in Indianna and Arkansas so they needed something to bulk out the map.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New game show where teams race across the US but they have to stick to a randomly chosen line of latitude

the most poignant part of 17776: What football will look like in the future

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'm bad at knowing weird borders, where does Canada have a border with Denmark, and is Spanish Morocco still a thing, they didn't give it back?

Hans island.

Site of the infamous whisky war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_War

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saladman posted:

The Monica Lewinsky scandal only happened because Republicans couldn't find anything in the Whitewater thing to actually pin on Clinton.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Air Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'm bad at knowing weird borders, where does Canada have a border with Denmark,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

Hans Island whose border was formalized by treaty 2 years ago.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:actually:

https://twitter.com/GayLaVie/status/1516076987034570757

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Geowizard hits the big time

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lots of fun maps on their website: http://www.radicalcartography.net/

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 2, 2024

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kind of comforting knowing that I live in the 7% hemisphere even though it makes zero difference

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Took me loving ages to realise what I'm looking at in the second map.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Took me loving ages to realise what I'm looking at in the second map.

Yeah, it's pretty rare to see New Zealand in this thread.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's a nice day of showing how isolated NZ is

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Geowizard hits the big time
Pretty sure he said at some point that he'd be scared to try because he'd likely be shot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Going by how much redder the Low Countries and British isles are: French Fry/Chip shops?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Land areas below sea level?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

jeebus bob posted:

Land areas below sea level?

Switzerland, one of the low countries.

Too many roads are highlighted to look like a shops-related thing to me.

Maybe Google Street View images updated since 2022 or something? 5G coverage maps? Montenegro is oddly conspicuous.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Saladman posted:

Switzerland, one of the low countries.

Too many roads are highlighted to look like a shops-related thing to me.

Maybe Google Street View images updated since 2022 or something? 5G coverage maps? Montenegro is oddly conspicuous.

Lol
Maybe it is, just everything is shifted down about 4 kilometers once you cross the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pigs?