Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

nine-gear crow posted:

Meanwhile Yabu's in the background trying to keep up with the most gormless look on his face going "what the gently caress is a cube?"

Nagakado: Father, what about the giant tortoise?

Toranaga: Shush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

"You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand?"

Omi: NO. She ain't bluffin.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Origami Dali posted:

I would've sworn that lead guy is Tom Hardy. It's eerie.

Anyway, really good show.

I thought so as well. I kept looking at the guy and thinking no it's that dude. That dude I know from the thing. That guy I've seen in a ton of things, just listen to his loving voice. It's THAT GUY. Then I went to IMDB and I don't think I've seen him in anything before, at least not so that I'd remember. But I guess I had him mixed up with Tom Hardy.

Anyway, watched the first episode, loved it. I like how the show is leaning into the "the samurai were cruel assholes, actually" school of thought instead of pretending they were all noble and gentle warrior poets, and Blackthorne's reactions to some guy getting his head chopped off for the crime of not walking away when a samurai told him to was done perfectly.

Looks gorgeous, and I am fully invested. Want to binge as much as possible, but also want to take it slow and one episode at a time because this seems incredibly good. Also thank god this is on Disney+ instead of HBO Max so the 4K actually looks decent.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Episode 7 is live!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Oof, the weakest ep of the series so far IMO. Lots of wheel spinning and rehashing of already fully developed beats. A few good scenes but overall quite underwhelming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lol Nagakado, you useless dumb sack of poo poo.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's definitely a lot to talk about for this one, they diverged quite a lot from the book for one thing. I have to stew on it a bit but I share the feeling it might have been mostly kinda bad

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I had to rewind one time before I could believe they actually wrote blackthorne saying "so this appears to be occurring." Even writing this I went back and checked again, hoping I was wrong.

:sigh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's definitely a lot to talk about for this one, they diverged quite a lot from the book for one thing. I have to stew on it a bit but I share the feeling it might have been mostly kinda bad

Show's definitely starting to strain under the weight of being 10 hours long instead of like 8 or so. Still better than pretty much anything else on TV right now.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Almost in the final stretch of the book, and the show feels behind but also ahead?

The timeline and some characters are way off, but it is still enjoyable.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I had to rewind one time before I could believe they actually wrote blackthorne saying "so this appears to be occurring." Even writing this I went back and checked again, hoping I was wrong.

:sigh:

What is the modern equivalent of this line? It’s on the tip of my tongue that it’s a riff on some niche aspect of nerd/doofus (?) culture that is just beyond my ability to fully grasp, like maybe someone’s catchphrase on Big Bang Theory or something?

Reading the comments in this thread, as someone who hasn’t read the book, I’m still fully engaged to in the story. That being said, yes, some of the oft-recurring story beats feel like they’ve run thin, but at this point I’m crossing my fingers that Blackthorne walked out of frame in the last scene he was in and went straight into his “we’re reforming the band” schtick he’s been harping on at least once per episode, that nobody even bothered to stop him or ask him where he was going, got his crew together, and slipped his ship out of port mysteriously. I won’t be surprised at all if the next time we see him, he’s blasting holes in the side of Osaka castle to bring the series to a close.

Would anybody who has read the book care to indulge me in a game of hot/cold with that supposition? No spoilers just hot/cold plz/thx :thumbsup:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

XYZAB posted:

What is the modern equivalent of this line? It’s on the tip of my tongue that it’s a riff on some niche aspect of nerd/doofus (?) culture that is just beyond my ability to fully grasp, like maybe someone’s catchphrase on Big Bang Theory or something?

The modern version is the Joss Whedon-esque "Well... that happened."/"Well, this is happening now." I actually did a spit take when Blackthrone said it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty disappointing episode overall. Back to the overdramatized drivel between shenanigans with Buntaro and Mariko, the stupid katana sparring, and training the camera on ~A Stick of Time~ so much. At least we got some focus on some ancillary characters, like a bit of time with Fuji getting ready to fight, but mostly Nagakado trying to get ready to fight, only to go out like a punk.

Feel like last episode is going to be the only good one front to back at this pace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Felt like this episode would have fit better if the previous two hadn't been slower/more concerned with the machinations needed to get everything in place for the finale, but as it stands that's 3 episodes in row out of a total of 10. Show is still beautiful and incredibly acted, but it does feel a little like it is spinning its wheels a bit.

nine-gear crow posted:

lol Nagakado, you useless dumb sack of poo poo.

We're reaching levels of Failson that shouldn't even be possible!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Felt like this episode would have fit better if the previous two hadn't been slower/more concerned with the machinations needed to get everything in place for the finale, but as it stands that's 3 episodes in row out of a total of 10. Show is still beautiful and incredibly acted, but it does feel a little like it is spinning its wheels a bit.

We're reaching levels of Failson that shouldn't even be possible!

We are deffo getting into some "Judge Judy tapping the watch and slamming the desk" territory. Ochiba being a magnificent alpha bitch last week was fun enough to stave off the sense of boredom, but I'm also starting to go "oh gently caress there's THREE episodes left? It feels like there should be only two, how the hell was the cannon massacre three episodes ago already?"

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The costumes in this show are so good.

Toranaga's brother walking out of the mist wearing some Dark Souls armor.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think this last couple of episodes really suffered from cutting Blackthorne bits without replacing them with anything much better, it feels like in some cases an AI tool filling in for the blank.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

XYZAB posted:

Reading the comments in this thread, as someone who hasn’t read the book, I’m still fully engaged to in the story. That being said, yes, some of the oft-recurring story beats feel like they’ve run thin, but at this point I’m crossing my fingers that Blackthorne walked out of frame in the last scene he was in and went straight into his “we’re reforming the band” schtick he’s been harping on at least once per episode, that nobody even bothered to stop him or ask him where he was going, got his crew together, and slipped his ship out of port mysteriously. I won’t be surprised at all if the next time we see him, he’s blasting holes in the side of Osaka castle to bring the series to a close.

Would anybody who has read the book care to indulge me in a game of hot/cold with that supposition? No spoilers just hot/cold plz/thx :thumbsup:

Ice cold lol

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Eh, I liked it. I'm here for the character beats, and this episode was tense.

I bet good money that Blackthorne's rage quit is a total rug pull.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 2, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the comparison of Toranaga and his son was the main focus. The father thrown to the wolves as a child, and the son has been coddled. Advice is only good if you can experience why. Nagakato never had a chance. Toranaga wants an end for the necessity, but it will come too late for the boy.

Watching the opening scene, I thought: no way can boy personally deliver a clean blow. A petty revenge by the general, but a lesson Toranaga would never forget.

The costumes continue to be spectacular.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LOL @ the end of ep 7, a fitting demise

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Screw it, I'm going to speculate on some stuff in this episode that I see as chess pieces being set up rather than wheel-spinning. Episode 8 may prove me wrong, but I hope not. The show is taking some swings that are far different from the book, and we're at the point in the story I remember least anyway, so who knows? Not sure if I really need spoiler tags, but why not?

Gin's meeting with Toranaga: Even Toranaga is confused at her confidence. Is she hedging her bets? Maybe. But also they've shown the Willow World being privy to secrets, and Lando Calrissian Toranaga's brother just spent time there, perhaps blathering.

Yabushige, meanwhile, just got a head in a drat box. He's still doing his piss-poor scheming. He has no faith in any plan or Toranaga's use of buying time -- a stick of it, perhaps. And vents his frustration on Blackthorne with that sword scene. Something's gotta give in him, now that Toranaga has agreed to the regents' demand.

Nagakado's impulsively reaching out to receive his death sentence telegraphed his actual death later. The boy's lack of patience and easy manipulation self-owned him one too many times.

Blackthorne's uselessness this episode is, I have my fears, taking the downgrade of him being the main character a bit too far? His relationship with Mariko and the Buntaro wildcard does feel like it's treading familiar ground. That being said, there's no way the show would allow so many scenes of him over many episodes talking about what his ship and cannon can do without Toranaga planning something. Toranaga just can't go talking about that in front of the likes of his son and Yabushige. That being said, I can't see how Blackthorne gets his hands on the Erasmus with that big gently caress-off Ishido ship right there, and the cannons ostensibly not on board.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I hope they don't try the "Toranaga was actually puppet mastering everyone the whole time and everything went exactly according to plan" schtick in the next few episodes because I don't see a reason why he'd want to appear so defeated in front of his own generals. Them being despondent and prone to lashing out or actually betraying his ostensibly lost cause aren't beneficial to him.

I don't recall how things went in the novel but I hope something "external" to Toranaga happens to change his trajectory, otherwise the revelation that he misled even his own trusted inner circle likely won't land well. It does fit with the theme of never showing your true heart to anyone, but it also makes no sense to share your plan with absolutely no one, especially if you will depend on the loyalty of those same people.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I almost thought the ambush at the willows was the plan, until the failson died abruptly and accomplished nothing.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I kept waiting for the courtesans to seduce and then stab every one of Saeki's generals and higher ups.

Also disagree that the episode wasn't good. I'm getting worried that the show is running out of episodes, but not because I'm bored, it's because it's so enjoyable to watch that I don't want the season to end.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I've lost count of how many times John has asked for his ship back.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good lord, the scene in episode 2 where Blackthorne explains the European political situation to Toranaga.

It's not news to me that Europeans (and other white people) have always been like this, but the loving arrogance of some dipshits halfway across the world to just divide between themselves a bunch of sovereign nations! And the looks on the samurais' faces when Blackthorne explains to them that a bunch of people from some country they know practically nothing about (and who know practically nothing about THEIR country and its long history, and certainly don't give a gently caress about either) just decided that they own Japan now. It's theirs. Oh but they didn't decide it all by themselves. No no, that would be stupid. No, they decided with the other big European power that they wouldn't fight over it and Portugal could just have it. So it's OK you see.

Jesus loving christ.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Such attitudes are hardly a European mindset.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I like how saeki has a floppy dong hat for formal occasions and a stiff one for doing war stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

Such attitudes are hardly a European mindset.

Japan would never do something like that!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ice cold lol

:hai:

I humbly ask the thread’s permission to end my life honourably for this substantial and inexcusable miscalculation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Poor little guy

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is Toranaga gonna do an asspull towards the end of the series?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

XYZAB posted:

:hai:

I humbly ask the thread’s permission to end my life honourably for this substantial and inexcusable miscalculation.

you must live and post. Ask again next episode

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Saeki may be a scumbag but he is in possession of drip supreme.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well now that we're off in imaginationland when it comes to plot I'm going to stop expecting things and be surprised I guess.

But man that was hard to swallow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*In the writer's room, trying to come up with new scenes that aren't from the book* What if we have him say "so that just happened", but like in a ye olde way

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thankfully I can't remember how much of this was in the book so I'm just going to ride the (sand) snake

I groaned so much when GoT book readers went nuts on deviations from the sand snakes so I'm going to try and not do that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The thing with deviations in this show is that, like, it's based on real history. They still have to get to the same spot for the narrative to make sense. So big deviations are kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I don't want to be a book grump about it, at least while the final outcome is unknown. I'll try to mostly keep my negative poo poo to myself this week.

Here's my called shot though, may be flagrantly wrong but for posterity: the basic M.O. of these changes, besides making More Exciting Things Happen For The Screen, might be to have toranaga present at osaka castle when things pop off, unlike the book. This feels like it's missing the point of the character pretty badly (patience, hawking metaphor, etc.) but perhaps hiroyuki sanada, executive producer, and/or the writers couldn't accept not having toranaga present at the pivotal moment