Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is exactly one fourth of one short story of black library lore on the leagues of votann. there is basically no substantive lore yet. give it 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I liked that the Tau seemed like possible (relative) good guys in an otherwise bleak setting.

Orks are also good guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tau used to be the good guys until they decided they couldn't have that and crushed the optimistic design they had for them

It also always amused me that they super backed down on their "no giant robots for the tau" stance

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Farsight is a good Tau. He wields a chaos blade and really loves killing orcs. The chaos blade makes him age slowly, but he doesn't really know that. He takes no poo poo and I think probably killed some ethereals who were jerks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Tau were funniest when they were a parody of NATO and now they're an outlet for people who wanna get hoof jobs.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Barudak posted:

The Tau were funniest when they were a parody of NATO and now they're an outlet for people who wanna get hoof jobs.

not without protection, friendo. nato and the eu take foot-and-mouth disease very seriously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly if the Tau started getting units with a PDO Name and then a generalized name if you used a different sprue attachment and tournament Judges will hold you and your opponent responsible for using the names correctly I'll forgive GW for loving up this faction.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Barudak posted:

Apparently the latest thing is the League of Votann (new space dwarves) provided them their tech
Like, all tech? I haven't seen anything about that, do you mean the old bit they may have remembered where the Demiurg (now Votann) sold them ion cannon technology, which was a sneaky Homeworld reference?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elukka posted:

Like, all tech? I haven't seen anything about that, do you mean the old bit they may have remembered where the Demiurg (now Votann) sold them ion cannon technology, which was a sneaky Homeworld reference?

I thought it was something more recent, but I dont get my lore fresh from the source so it could be wrong.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I want Tau to be cool because I love mechs. Is that not their thing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every faction has mechs, dreadnought-scale, knight-scale and titan-scale, except genestealers and votann (probably because of newness)

tau mechs are just shootier

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 2, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

Tau used to be the good guys until they decided they couldn't have that and crushed the optimistic design they had for them

It also always amused me that they super backed down on their "no giant robots for the tau" stance

my view is tau are basicaly realitically lovely instead of comically super awful. its like a high tech neoliberal space empire with light caste systems but mostly good living standards and everyone is fine as long as they follow the rules. which sucks and would be a bad guy in like star trek but in 40k, its mostly "fine".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Do Tau fall to Chaos. I forget.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Eclipse12 posted:

I want Tau to be cool because I love mechs. Is that not their thing?

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Vorgh_(Xenos_Species)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

currently no, but give it a few years

https://www.goonhammer.com/arks-of-omen-farsight-the-goonhammer-review/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hollismason posted:

not yet. their souls are too small. but apperently a military force of them got spooked when a giant collective monster of made of up the non tau speices concept of the greater good personified or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my view is tau are basicaly realitically lovely instead of comically super awful. its like a high tech neoliberal space empire with light caste systems but mostly good living standards and everyone is fine as long as they follow the rules. which sucks and would be a bad guy in like star trek but in 40k, its mostly "fine".

Yeah, the joke with the Tau is that from day one they'd be the bad guys in Star Trek and most other kinds of shows, since they're still an imperialist caste system where one caste is clearly more equal than the others, but in 40k they look like the Federation in comparison to everyone else.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not yet. their souls are too small. but apperently a military force of them got spooked when a giant collective monster of made of up the non tau speices concept of the greater good personified or something.

IIRC there's a bit of Tau in there, since they do have a Warp presence, it's just the bare minimum. I think it's mentioned somewhere that Tzeentch daemons have taken an interested in possessing Tau; it might be difficult and for seemingly little immediate reward, but their society has no idea how to handle it at all and gives them lots of opportunity to gently caress things up.

Kinda funny that humans basically have the highest variance of psychic ability of all the species; Eldar are well above average by default, and Orks are also pretty much all fairly psychic, but humans are on literally every level of the scale from Alpha Psykers to Omega Pariahs, the anti-psykers. (Jurgen is strongly implied to be a blank, iirc)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the joke with the Tau is that from day one they'd be the bad guys in Star Trek and most other kinds of shows, since they're still an imperialist caste system where one caste is clearly more equal than the others, but in 40k they look like the Federation in comparison to everyone else.

IIRC there's a bit of Tau in there, since they do have a Warp presence, it's just the bare minimum. I think it's mentioned somewhere that Tzeentch daemons have taken an interested in possessing Tau; it might be difficult and for seemingly little immediate reward, but their society has no idea how to handle it at all and gives them lots of opportunity to gently caress things up.

Kinda funny that humans basically have the highest variance of psychic ability of all the species; Eldar are well above average by default, and Orks are also pretty much all fairly psychic, but humans are on literally every level of the scale from Alpha Psykers to Omega Pariahs, the anti-psykers. (Jurgen is strongly implied to be a blank, iirc)

jurgen is stated to be a blank, flat out, in the text, starting in the first book

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
looking for images of these I discovered this, which reminds me of old school GW where they would describe some insanely cool thing and then never actually manifest imagery of it. Like the ork-ridden brachiosaurs that could destroy titans

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
writers are one department, illustrators another, sculptors yet another

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Captain Invictus posted:

looking for images of these I discovered this, which reminds me of old school GW where they would describe some insanely cool thing and then never actually manifest imagery of it. Like the ork-ridden brachiosaurs that could destroy titans

lmao

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I question how anyone thought Tau were supposed to be good unless you really weren’t paying attention. It’s always been ‘congratulations you have been selected to join the empire!’ and if you refuse out come the rail guns and battle suits. If you do join the co prosperity sphere you get to find that some (the tau) are more equal than others. They are a classic expansionist empire and you can physically feel the pith helmets coming through the page when they describe other species they’ve subsumed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also funny thing is that, doctrine, equipment and tactics wise, the Tau actually map closest to modern day warfare and tactics; using combined arms mobile warfare with emphasis on coordination, communication and technology, use of HUDs and drones (GW was ahead of the curve on that one) and at least in theory a focus on the overall goal rather than ideas of honourable last stands or whatever.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Mr Teatime posted:

I question how anyone thought Tau were supposed to be good unless you really weren’t paying attention. It’s always been ‘congratulations you have been selected to join the empire!’ and if you refuse out come the rail guns and battle suits. If you do join the co prosperity sphere you get to find that some (the tau) are more equal than others. They are a classic expansionist empire and you can physically feel the pith helmets coming through the page when they describe other species they’ve subsumed.

well they're not overtly genociding other species :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

well they're not overtly genociding other species :colbert:

Ah, so like South Africa.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're doing 1800s brits style genocide, not the mega-techno-hyper-genocide of the other factions

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they're doing 1800s brits style genocide, not the mega-techno-hyper-genocide of the other factions

Isn't all of 40k just 1800's brits on a galactic scale?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the ig is, with recondite regency details like bought commissions and regiments being armies within an army, the orks are more 1960s hooligans. the spess mehrines have much more forthright military sci fi antecedents. except the dark angels, who are based on gay poetry, black templars who are based on the templar, grey knights, ultramarines, white scars, space wolves, so basically like 3/4 of them

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the ig is, the orks are more 1960s hooligans

I like the Orks. At least they have fun

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
currently reading book 2 in War of The Beast book series and unfortunately they portray Orks as angry green guys, none of the wacky football hooligan stuff

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that whole series sucks, pick better books. sturgeons law applies hard to warhammer its just that they put out 600 books so you can throw away 540 and still have like 60 books that are not unreadable drek

mike brooks ork books slap

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
any you can recommend?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i just said mike brooks

robert rath. nate crowley has an account here iirc and his stuff slaps. dan abnett pre about 2010 was pretty grody w women in the standard sci fi way but otherwise slaps. peter fehervari. aaron demski bowden.

sandy mitchell's ciaphas cain books are a very easy read but thats cuz theyre basically the same book over and over again with the antagonists switched out. demons this time! now orks! now necrons!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Deff skwadron.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 3, 2024

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

any you can recommend?

Brutal kunnin', warboss, and da big dakka. In that order.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also funny thing is that, doctrine, equipment and tactics wise, the Tau actually map closest to modern day warfare and tactics; using combined arms mobile warfare with emphasis on coordination, communication and technology, use of HUDs and drones (GW was ahead of the curve on that one) and at least in theory a focus on the overall goal rather than ideas of honourable last stands or whatever.

The notion that I remember from the first codex is that they value life, so they don’t want to throw away Tau lives needlessly through dumb close combat. In addition to yeah they are smart and understand tactics.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

Deff skwadron.

Enlist the Astarties.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ciaphas Cain had ambulls as a core antagonist at one point and for that they will always hold a special place to me

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I thought Tau were pretty darn good in the original lore and just got more empire-y and inequitable through some later iterations of lore. But then that got toned down too.

My head canon is the canon that matters and Farsight taught me are all glorious comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Ciaphas Cain had ambulls as a core antagonist at one point and for that they will always hold a special place to me

Thank you for telling me that. The Astarties are inbound!