Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
China can find more shells in the couch cushions than NATO could produce in 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

China can find more shells in the couch cushions than NATO could produce in 5 years

The couches are also made in China

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1774903814883057717

starting to feel that in a war scenario, china can send grandparent battalions and still clown all over nato troops

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I think about that video of a family using a homemade howitzer to accurately blow up wasp nests like 150+ yards away almost every day

That's gonna happen to us

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I will welcome my new Chinese grandparents with open arms

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I think about that video of a family using a homemade howitzer to accurately blow up wasp nests like 150+ yards away almost every day

That's gonna happen to us

Fun fact, China didn't really have gun control until 1993 when 5000 people from two villages in Hunan fought a 2-day battle over a blood feud with WW II surplus guns + homemade artillery and shut down the Beijing-Guangzhou railway (which passes between the two villages).

https://www.quora.com/I-heard-that-...or-is-it-a-myth

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I will welcome my new Chinese grandparents with open arms

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CollinSLKoh/status/1775005512314335700?t=YGzr1A6_Q6XKP05iG7gVNw&s=19

Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand would put it at a majority of the region's population being in favor of China, I think

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
ASEAN population per google is 666 million!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I feel like the big shifts in the Muslim countries in ASEAN are more against-America than towards-China. Doesn't account for Thailand though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Boat Stuck posted:

Fun fact, China didn't really have gun control until 1993 when 5000 people from two villages in Hunan fought a 2-day battle over a blood feud with WW II surplus guns + homemade artillery and shut down the Beijing-Guangzhou railway (which passes between the two villages).

i misread that as “fire control” and was bemused how it took a clan war between two villages to first develop the technology

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Vietnam seems very against it from the looks of things. Is there still a lot of tension between Vietnam and China?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

Vietnam seems very against it from the looks of things. Is there still a lot of tension between Vietnam and China?

that stood out to me too. I always wonder how well these polls are run.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
apparently there are also/still tensions between Vietnam and the PRC regarding competing claims in the South China Sea, although I don't know how much of a driver that is of sentiment between the two nations. It only gets brought up here in the context of "we should be more like Vietnam in resisting Chinese claims in the SCS but without relying on America"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

apparently there are also/still tensions between Vietnam and the PRC regarding competing claims in the South China Sea, although I don't know how much of a driver that is of sentiment between the two nations. It only gets brought up here in the context of "we should be more like Vietnam in resisting Chinese claims in the SCS but without relying on America"

vietnam/china announced joint patrols recently. it could just be that public opinion hasn't shifted yet. i'm really surprised though, i would think the vietnam war would still hang over opinions on the US

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

vietnam/china announced joint patrols recently. it could just be that public opinion hasn't shifted yet. i'm really surprised though, i would think the vietnam war would still hang over opinions on the US

There was the conflict between VN and China more recent than that during the war against the Khmer Rouge.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

There was the conflict between VN and China more recent than that during the war against the Khmer Rouge.

wasn't that like a 3 week border skirmish tho? hardly on the same level as agent oranging 3 million people

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

wasn't that like a 3 week border skirmish tho? hardly on the same level as agent oranging 3 million people

True, but at the same time any invasion is likely to be perceived quite badly. Especially when they are backing the folks you are in direct conflict with.

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Apr 2, 2024

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

historically yes. a lot of Vietnam's cultural narrative is rooted in resistance to China. literally 2000 years of conflict, with most of the periods of alliance ending badly.

in terms of actual foreign relations, trade, and business ties, Vietnam-China relations are actually pretty strong

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think you should vehemently agree with the Philippines being more like Vietnam.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The missing piece of the puzzle is Russia and most Vietnamese people probably see Russia as a bigger ally than both countries for historical reasons and most Vietnamese arms are still Russian/Soviet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
US knows Vietnam has hands and would never try invading again. China is a lot closer.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kazzah posted:

I feel like the big shifts in the Muslim countries in ASEAN are more against-America than towards-China. Doesn't account for Thailand though

The reply below that tween said last year's survey was mostly government/academia/think tank, this year added in business. So you can treat these numbers as elite attitude vs elite+middle class.

These numbers are pretty much aligned with my perception of each ASEAN country. The only surprises are 1, Cambodia is only 50% pro China when I thought it was like 75% pro China, 2 Vietnam only 20% pro China, but IMO the leadership has secretly taken the China side in a few big topics already. I guess emotionally, the Vietnamese don't want to side with China.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Apr 2, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

No it became a decade long border shelling war afterward. After PLA went back to Chinese border, Deng rotated in different armies to shell the Vietnamese side. It only stopped after the fall of eastern bloc and Soviet stopped sending war resource and oil to Vietnam.

One main reason was Deng wanted to tie Vietnam down so VN couldn't send troop in Laos/Cambodia/Thailand and become a regional hegemon.

Ardennes posted:

The missing piece of the puzzle is Russia and most Vietnamese people probably see Russia as a bigger ally than both countries for historical reasons and most Vietnamese arms are still Russian/Soviet.

IMO this particular question is a surrogate question of which side to take in a potential Taiwan conflict, that's why it only let them choose from 2 countries.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean surely having a Communist regional hegemon would be all to the good?

I know realpolitik, but it is still sad to see.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

The reply below that tween said last year's survey was mostly government/academia/think tank, this year added in business. So you can treat these numbers as elite attitude vs elite+middle class.

These numbers are pretty much aligned with my perception of each ASEAN country. The only surprises are 1, Cambodia is only 50% pro China when I thought it was like 75% pro China, 2 Vietnam only 20% pro China, but IMO the leadership has secretly taken the China side in a few big topics already. I guess emotionally, the Vietnamese don't want to side with China.

Elite attitude makes sense. The only Vietnamese guy I knew was pretty down on the whole communism thing, but was also the kind of guy who got to study in Europe. So, he would be.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's important to remember that it has been almost 50 years since the end of the Vietnam War. The men who fought it are now in their late 60s or older. This is a little small percentage of Vietnam's current population. It's a very young country demographically, so the personal animosity has largely faded. The war is now history for the majority.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The general assembly elections are days away now in South Korea. Excited to see just how strange things will get if Yoon gets put in extreme lame duck mode. He can still manage to veto everything and stop things from passing that way but if the libs get a big enough majority they'll start to pass things even through a veto. I expect there would be some serious poo poo with the prosecutors bringing charges against anyone and everyone.

https://www.blueroofpolitics.com/post/tbr-weekly-update-week-4-march-2024/

quote:

The government continued its standoff with doctors on strike. On March 29, the Korea Medical Association 대한의사협회 elected Lim Hyeon-taek 임현택 as its new president. Lim, who was gagged and dragged out by presidential security at a Yoon Suk-yeol 윤석열 town hall, vowed that the doctors would not negotiate unless Health Minister Jo Gyu-hong 조규홍 보건복지부 장관 and numerous other government officials were fired and the president issued an apology.

In an April 1 special address, President Yoon Suk-yeol defended the need for an increase in the number of medical professionals, and vowed that his administration will stay the course with its plan to raise the number of medical students by 2k beginning next year. Patients, meanwhile, continued to die without medical care. Among the most affecting stories is that of a 33-month old child in Chungcheongbuk-do Province 충청북도 who died after falling into a ditch when hospital after hospital refused to open their emergency rooms to the ambulance.

Acknowledging that the presidential address had failed to sway public opinion, Han Dong-hun 한동훈, leader of the ruling People Power Party 국민의힘, called for the government to “end this situation soon.” An unnamed PPP legislator told Kyunghyang Shinmun 경향신문 that the president “sounded like a petulant child. … I feel like a dinosaur looking up at the oncoming comet and sensing our extinction.”

Tensions rose between the Office of the President 대통령실 and the People Power Party 국민의힘 as the ruling party floundered in the closing stretch before the General Election 총선. Amid criticisms of the president’s response to the ongoing doctors’ strike, Ham Un-gyeong 함운경, the PPP candidate for Seoul Mapo B 서울 마포 을, demanded that President Yoon Suk-yeol 윤석열 대통령 quit the party. Three-term PPP legislator Jo Hae-jin 조해진, who is running in Gyeongsangnam-do Gimhae B 경상남도 김해 을, said Yoon “must kneel before the people, and have his entire cabinet resign.”

Meanwhile, the PPP’s plummeting support is inspiring the party’s leader Han Dong-hun 한동훈 to unaccustomed lows of rhetoric. Arguing that the General Election must be “judgment day” for liberal leaders Lee Jae-myung 이재명 and Cho Kuk 조국, Han repeatedly called the Democratic Party 민주당 “communists” and “trash.” The PPP leadership had also sought to ally with the New Reform Party 개혁신당, a splinter conservative party led by former PPP chairman Lee Jun-seok 이준석, but the NRP spurned the offer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boat Stuck posted:

lol 9/11
It began on 'September 11, 8:30 Beijing time, and lasted for 34 hours.

Thousands of peasants fought with dynamite, homemade guns, cannons and other weapons. Artillery fire covered an area of 2 square kilometers.

these guys were hardcore lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

lol 9/11
It began on 'September 11, 8:30 Beijing time, and lasted for 34 hours.

Thousands of peasants fought with dynamite, homemade guns, cannons and other weapons. Artillery fire covered an area of 2 square kilometers.

these guys were hardcore lmao

wow can't believe China banned dudes rocking

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea, i feel like if your village manages to create its own artillery arm then you should be allowed to settle disputes by way of honorable battle

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
We really are the same

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
look at china's veiled threat of sending more advanced dirigibles into the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGtcyShShQ

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gildiss posted:

The general assembly elections are days away now in South Korea. Excited to see just how strange things will get if Yoon gets put in extreme lame duck mode. He can still manage to veto everything and stop things from passing that way but if the libs get a big enough majority they'll start to pass things even through a veto. I expect there would be some serious poo poo with the prosecutors bringing charges against anyone and everyone.

https://www.blueroofpolitics.com/post/tbr-weekly-update-week-4-march-2024/

he has had a pretty good presidency. lots of lols

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

crepeface posted:

look at china's veiled threat of sending more advanced dirigibles into the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGtcyShShQ

WE CANNOT ALLOW A HOT-AIR GAP!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what do you mean a babby died after falling into a ditch? What the hell is going on in south korea?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's wild that doctors are letting people die in order to prevent people getting job training.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
no, babby falling into a ditch is just some bullshit absurdity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe it. Dumb babies can't even feed themselves or clock in on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What south korea baby are you guys talking about? I searched SK baby and all I got are SK birth rate record low news items.

VVV oh now I see it. RIP babby. This doctors vs president feud still sounds like a pro wrestling drama. It's like the landlord and the renter arguing over 1% difference in rent increase but they have to throw the furnitures out on the street and put up a show about it.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Apr 2, 2024