Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

Here's the video which seems to be the source of the 1000 missiles a day. Some pretty sweet factory shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIGrlpWPtfo

huh, the narrator says the factory produces 1000 a day. wonder if that's meant to be a single factory or all of China's factories combined. I would imagine it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

quote:

What confuses me is that the Americans broke up each one of the ferocious German armoured counter attacks thrown at them: El Guettar, Gela, Salerno, Anzio and Arracourt.

So, even if the scale of the armoured attacks in Russia was larger, the Americans therefore defeated the 10th Panzer Division, 21st Panzer Division, 1st Fallschirm-Panzer Division Hermann Göring, and 11th Panzer Division, which were each as good or better than most of the units the US would subsequently idolize for fighting in Russia. In the Battle of the Bulge, the Americans defeated practically all of the famous Waffen SS formations: LSSAH, 12th SS, Das Reich, 9th SS Panzer plus Panzer Lehr.

Who are the mythical German formations worth idolizing the Americans didn't defeat by war's end? Großdeutschland?

116th Panzer Division (Windhund-Division) participating in the Battle of Hürtgen Forest.

Always has been for idolizing the "Prussian/German" way of war for America

Grad could go into detail into this but there has been a general fetish and popularization of Prussian/Weimar/German thought, philosophy, and equipment from the American elites, notables, and educators post-WWII that boils down to:

1. Everything German is great, even if the bad guys won, because German classical tradition and German historicism allows the individual to feel good no matter what happens.
2. We can redeem it, improve upon it and once we give it to everyone, everyone will do just fine.
3. gently caress the Communists
4. The conflict between industrial capitalists and financial capitalists with the financial capitalsits overcoming and promoting a culture of grifting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M56_Scorpion

There is a lot more of it than that involved of course.

AmyL has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Apr 2, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

Here's the video which seems to be the source of the 1000 missiles a day. Some pretty sweet factory shots.

Oh hell yeah these are the Chinese ammo factory shots I've been waiting for. Just compare and contrast that poo poo with the UK's tiny hand-painted Warhammer setup and the US' listed building Lostech.

This is what a modern factory with some real loving throughput looks like.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lmao "we copied the great German stuff, but our version was down for maintenance all the time for some reason, must be our fault"

You copied a shoddy, maintenance hogging design you loving moron. The thing was always garbage. You improved on it by at least making it less expensive garbage, because the original German was both garbage and expensive. But guess what, your modern day stuff is still the same garbage but now also expensive.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"no question but the Germans were brilliant in all things military (even if they didn't win many wars)" might be one of the most nearly getting the point things I've read in a while

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

zetamind2000 posted:

"no question but the Germans were brilliant in all things military (even if they didn't win many wars)" might be one of the most nearly getting the point things I've read in a while

I'll let Grad field that one but in the writer's defense:

1. Written before the End of History
2. The author didn't think anyone would be that stupid to go against Russia or China

AmyL has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Apr 2, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AmyL posted:

I'll let Grad field that one but in the writer's defense:

1. Written before the End of History
2. The author didn't think anyone would be that stupid to go against Russia or China

you don't need to defend them, it's simple posiwid

cybernetics strikes again

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

you don't need to defend them, it's simple posiwid

cybernetics strikes again

The Empire Never Ended.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US MiC moved to a "more expensive , more complicated weapon = win wars" mindset since the Gulf war, so that explains the obsession with German engineering.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

Someone should smash this clip and that Russian Lancet production (modern facility but still some hand assembling) and the Scranton 155mm plant and make sick Tiktok videos and get millions of hits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

The US MiC moved to a "more expensive , more complicated weapon = win wars" mindset since the Gulf war, so that explains the obsession with German engineering.

They did this long before the gulf war because of an acute awareness that they'd be smashed by the Soviets

Gulf war was basically a chance to prove the concept of qualitative advantage wasn't bullshit

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Weka posted:

China is the only country that can use cruise missiles in an artillery way. Just lob them over the horizon in a blanket area

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

China is the only country that can use cruise missiles in an artillery way. Just lob them over the horizon in a blanket area

Chairman Xi, fire when ready.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://x.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1775097494776721565?s=20

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

yes, but on the other hand, by offering unwavering support, the US has gained… uh… *touches earpiece*… please stand by

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

poisonpill posted:

yes, but on the other hand, by offering unwavering support, the US has gained… uh… *touches earpiece*… please stand by

others can't call us antisemitic now! :fsmug:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

poisonpill posted:

well, a lot of us politicians can continue to collect israeli/weapons manufacturer bribes and not have their sexual blackmail exposed
just the other day a plan to ship over billions of dollars of f15s was floated. that's two kinds of bribes at once!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

chairman xi, aim your cruise missile artillery at the upper east side. their sacrifices are necessary

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

chairman xi, aim your cruise missile artillery at the upper east side. their sacrifices are necessary

could also hit 5th avenue roughly between 125th and 53rd imo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
chairman xi tie me to a dongfeng and fire me at washington, im ready

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al! posted:

could also hit 5th avenue roughly between 125th and 53rd imo

i was getting 5th and Park mixed up but better safe than sorry

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just hit all the super tall buildings, the narrower the building, the guiltier the tenants are.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

*hutu-ish-ly* cut down the pencil skyscrapers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know if you guys saw Leave the World behind but it has a feel-good ending along these lines

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

let's not neglect the upper west side. that's where columbia is. and grant's tomb! gently caress that guy!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just hit all the super tall buildings, the narrower the building, the guiltier the tenants are.
that's more spectacular, but the people living in the 70s between park and fifth are the most evil

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

president xi, i will give you exact addresses, down to the apartment number. just ask. i am ready.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

that obsession (and the paired obsession with equally failed german strategy) predates the gulf war by a whole bunch of decades

Morbus
May 18, 2004

zetamind2000 posted:

the Germans were brilliant in all things military (even if they didn't win many wars)"
thread title pls

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i think you could define both the mid/late ww2-era soviet and US ways of war as, basically, the ends (winning) justifies the means (deep battle, industrial warfare, Bombercrimes, etc.) The aesthetics of the way of war are perhaps not irrelevant insofar as they are needed to give individual people in the military and society something to attach to, but they're ultimately in the back seat compared to the necessities of showing up with more poo poo and crushing the enemy with the weight of men, material, and firepower. The Soviet artillery operations tables are kind of the apex of this sort of thinking: we will win not through elan, not through derring-do or national superiority, but because we have calculated in advance the number of shells that the factory must supply in order to kill everything in the map grid through which we must advance to take our next objective, the factory has produced the necessary shells, and we will now proceed to do the needful with them. There's no mythos to it at all.

The german way of war (and, frankly, a lot of continental european ways of war predating that by years and even centuries) was based on a belief in aesthetic superiority equating with military superiority, which ultimately was couched in the ideology of national and racial superiority. It looks good, it glorifies Us and Our poo poo, therefore it is good and will win. Winning strategy/tactics/weapons and aesthetic superiority aren't just linked together in this view, they're synonymous. The production of material and the adoption of mechanized tactics are done as a glorification of the aesthetic. Thus, bespoke handcrafted tanks topped by Aryan supermen charging through the ranks of the inferior enemy (glorifying) followed by infantry divisions whose prime motive vehicle is a horse (trucks aren't glorifying). The mythos isn't about winning, the mythos is winning. If the aesthetic cannot prevail, it must be because it was betrayed or undermined somehow - it cannot fail on its own merits since it embodies victory under this way of war and the two concepts (victory and aesthetic superiority) can't be disentangled.

The former way of thinking certainly has its gremlins (like wildly overoptimistic assessments of strategic bombing accuracy), but the latter is a house made out of gremlins entirely. You can see which of those ways of war was adopted by the US and NATO post-war and the ultimate results of that.

e: actually if i was going to summarize the current US way of war, its a cargo cult worshipping the old materialist US way of war as a religious aesthetic without understanding how or why it worked

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Apr 2, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

US is a cargo cult worshipping the old US without understanding how or why it worked

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

why is vietnam pro-us

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

to some extent the chinese invasion in the late 70s and more recently the chinese expansion in the south china sea
e: plus historical chinese conquest of vietnam going back to like 100 bc

Hatebag has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Apr 2, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

The german way of war

my impression is that it was because of Clausewitz - a German - that war started to be considered in relation to political economy, which did made Prussia play ball differently and win the relevant wars, but the historiographic process lost itself over on nationalism and they got high on their own supply over the years, leading to attribute those victories as consequence of national character.

IIRC, Phillip Sheridan went as an observer to Europe during the Franco-Prussian war and was not impressed in terms of military innovation or skill, but credited the victory to the Prussian ability on logistics, mobilization and general discipline, which were much better than the French, whom were very attached to the principles of élan and national character and Napoleon etc etc etc.

Maybe it is something of the German soldiers training the American independence forces making into a cultural memory, an attachment of heroic construction (since the rebellion is the legendary birth of the country its soldiers must be legendary too, the greatest to be). German drill sergeants trained them, the USA is the greatest country ever, so German military must be great otherwise...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

You can see that the biggest flips in that table are coming from the Muslim majority countries. The northern ASEAN states with a border with China are far more ambivalent.

I'm surprised Malaysia of all places would throw in so strongly with China though given the fairly deep Chinese/Malay racial divide.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

its what they call a power move

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Morbus posted:

thread title pls

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

common interest against increased china influence within vietnam id guess

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

Unlike us, they have legitimate historical beefs with the Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

why is vietnam pro-us

they had a war with china like 3 years after they finished fighting the us, which china started to punish vietnam for getting rid of the khmer rouge, which they did because the khmer rouge also invaded vietnam

it didn't last as long as the one with the americans but i can understand how that might have left a negative impression of china on them

cock hero flux has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Apr 2, 2024