Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

kntfkr posted:

i had the lame apocalypse figure that could extend his limbs by 1.25"

worthless garbage compared to Forge's one clear leg or Iceman and his ice cube tray or that one dude whose lower torso is a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Call me when they make a captain planet continuation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tarkus posted:

Call me when they make a captain planet continuation.

He's fuckin dead

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

cartoons are for children

*spends 8 hours playing farming simulator*

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

i had the lame apocalypse figure that could extend his limbs by 1.25"

which I could get an extra inch and a quarter on demand

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I hope the animation is better, that chintzy 90's US animation always bothered me. That XMEN show was like the polar opposite of the 90's batman cartoon, where western animation motifs were handled with thought and attention to detail

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe this will change, but it's really weird that this is serialized.

In the span of a few days, they got a new x-man, magneto is boss, storm lost her powers, a Jean gray clone showed up, they had a kid, fought mastermold and mr. sinister.

It feels like this weird speed run of X-men stuff from the comics.

This is true to the original series. The first season of the original show had sentinels, master mold, apocalypse, juggernaut, genosha, a version of days of future past, and a fake mutant cure.

It got crazier from there with season 2 having shadow king, mister sinister, omega red, alpha flight, savage land, cable, rogues origin story, and mojo world.

The show didn’t start long arcs until season 3 when they started doing the phoenix sagas.

There’s years of stories crammed into a single season.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I Am Gambit's Kinetically Charged Abs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pontificating rear end posted:

I hope the animation is better

Yes and no. It looks like high framerate animation pretending to be low framerate animation. Looks weird at first but I got used to it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Saltpowered posted:

mister sinister
oh, god

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

he scared me too but he's not real

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
They gave him some hosed up teeth in the cartoon though, that was scary

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
if that post I wrote explaining morph a week and a half ago were about mister sinister instead, I'd still be typing it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

which I could get an extra inch and a quarter on demand

u and me both kid

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Saltpowered posted:

This is true to the original series. The first season of the original show had sentinels, master mold, apocalypse, juggernaut, genosha, a version of days of future past, and a fake mutant cure.

It got crazier from there with season 2 having shadow king, mister sinister, omega red, alpha flight, savage land, cable, rogues origin story, and mojo world.

The show didn’t start long arcs until season 3 when they started doing the phoenix sagas.

Right. What I mean is all the stuff I mentioned transpired over a couple of days, which is a weird choice.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Saltpowered posted:

Id like to see them tackle some lesser known sagas like Trenchfoot, The Continuum, Dragon Age, or even the 2000 days.

With all the Marvel material out there youd think theyd include an arc with Misty or Dr. WORLD. People would appreciate it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm Dr. WORLD, somebody kill me
Kill me pills
No one cares, my friends
My friend

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Never heard of any of that poo poo. They should stick with stories from before 2006 since that’s when I stopped reading the comics.

e: if any of those were from before 2006 then they probably weren’t very good because I don’t remember them :colbert:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pretty sure Ascendency of D'Artagnan was 2004 so :shrug:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

d'Artagnan was a mutant? :aaa:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pontificating rear end posted:

I hope the animation is better, that chintzy 90's US animation always bothered me. That XMEN show was like the polar opposite of the 90's batman cartoon, where western animation motifs were handled with thought and attention to detail

I thought it, and Spider-Man, were pretty ugly shows at the time, but '97 looks quite nice.

I like X-Men, but the show put me off reading American comics because the serialised nature of everything gave me anxiety. I'm supposed to be here EVERY Saturday morning to get what's happening? That's hosed up - what if there's an emergency?

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 2, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I thought it, and Spider-Man, were pretty ugly shows at the time, but '97 looks quite nice.

I like X-Men, but the show put me off reading American comics because the serialised nature of everything gave me anxiety. I'm supposed to be here EVERY Saturday morning to get what's happening? That's hosed up - what if there's an emergency?

lol I'm not ready for that kind of heavy commitment!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

redshirt posted:

lol I'm not ready for that kind of heavy commitment!

Exactly! Who is this new guy? Why is he punching Gambit what the gently caress?!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All I remember is when I was a kid I just wanted to see Wolverine slash stuff and chirp Cyclops. Not get all bent out of shape over a story arc not progressing properly or some poo poo.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Chirp cyclops?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

chirp that hoser something dirty

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

It also didn't help that the 90's X-Men cartoon was produced by Haim Saban who was a cheap rear end in a top hat who paid the lowest amount he could to contractors and VA's to get the show made so he could pocket the remainder.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Couldn’t afford artists who understood perspective

VVV e: I mean the original cartoon. I’m trying to rewatch it before I check out the new one and the animation is so bad.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 3, 2024

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Couldn’t afford artists who understood perspective

I watched the trailer and, dare I say, the animation looks pretty good. There's a lot more hand-drawn transitions, and more adventurous framing and sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3Ss8o9gGQ

edit: OK this is actually way better than the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GUCmf11mI

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 3, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love Beast and his entire gimmick of just being classy as poo poo at all times

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Last episode was something alright :okpos:
A radical 90's pastiche.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
On the topic of the golden age of the X-Men, there's a channel at does straight forward issue-by-issue summaries of big comic events.

Here's 2 hours of Age of Apocalypse if that's your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2yrJ7I8IuA

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

All the 90s cartoons were my introduction to comics properties and like the only way I was aware of them cause the price of comics vs the speed at which I would read an issue and be done with it made buying them a non-starter with my parents.

The X-Men series really made me overestimate the importance of like, Jubilee and Gambit to the Marvel universe.

Also finding out how much of a complete fuckup monster comics Beast has become made me sad because I always really liked him in the cartoon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Disco Pope posted:

Exactly! Who is this new guy? Why is he punching Gambit what the gently caress?!

Uh, what part of "Previously, on X-Men" don't you understand?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Mode 7 posted:

Also finding out how much of a complete fuckup monster comics Beast has become made me sad because I always really liked him in the cartoon.

You'll be glad to hear that recently the comics revealed that someone made a clone of Beast who has some of the original's memories, but conveniently they only go up until right before he turned evil.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Action Jacktion posted:

You'll be glad to hear that recently the comics revealed that someone made a clone of Beast who has some of the original's memories, but conveniently they only go up until right before he turned evil.

Is he still classy as gently caress and quoting Shakespeare all the time and poo poo?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Uh, what part of "Previously, on X-Men" don't you understand?

Usually, none of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

quote:

are you ready for the new x-men cartoon

Not today's episode, no.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Gavok posted:

Not today's episode, no.

Summing up the most recent episode: :piss:

Edit: I assume we'll be seeing some time travel in future episodes trying to undo, or at least mitigate, that absolute clusterfuck. It's probably based on an established comic run, but I don't read them.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Real talk in the X-Men cartoon thread:

When I was 12 or 13 I developed migraines which were 100% debilitating. Complete dizziness and nausea. Can't even stand up.

As a young kid these hit hard, at school, during marching band, etc. I became "the sick kid" and I didn't like it, but what could I do? Randomly this migraine would descend and I was debilitated.

I could read, as long as I stayed perfectly still. And so I read. I read and I read and I read.....

A lot of X-Men. Dark Phoenix real time story line, I was freaking enthralled.

I assumed these migraines were my mutant power manifesting, and I just had to power through the change till I was an awesome badass like Colossus.

It helped.