Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

same theme song :eyepop:

https://youtu.be/4gvwhypYMX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's good op

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I didn't watch the first one so I probably won't watch a new one.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Poor morph. Still included in the intro though :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I will wait for the inevitable "Previously, on X-Men..." YouTube video that's just random out of context things from each episode that make the show seem like it's batshit insane.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

jean grey should ditch cyclops for wolverine imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the odds of them doing the Dark Phoenix arc?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The old one was good dumb fun, it's been a while since I was this vaguely interested in an upcoming Marvel property :f5h::effort:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

What's the odds of them doing the Dark Phoenix arc?

Exactly 0 because they already did it in the 90s show that this one is a sequel to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Exactly 0 because they already did it in the 90s show that this one is a sequel to.

Oh cool it's a sequel, I thought they were just remaking it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

Oh cool it's a sequel, I thought they were just remaking it.

Yeah, that's the reason why it's called X-Men '97, because it picks up right where the old cartoon ended in 1997.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Captain Hygiene posted:

The old one was good dumb fun, it's been a while since I was this vaguely interested in an upcoming Marvel property :f5h::effort:

The new one is trying to be a bit more serious. Still on the fence about it.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i can't wait 4 seasons for mutant 9/11

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that's the reason why it's called X-Men '97, because it picks up right where the old cartoon ended in 1997.

I only read the comics in the 80s, I never saw the show. I was too cool in the 90's, man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

I only read the comics in the 80s, I never saw the show. I was too cool in the 90's, man.

I watched the 90s show on and off when it was airing, mainly because it came on at like 9AM on a Saturday and I have always even as a kid been a lazy poo poo who likes to sleep in, but it was one of those shows that didn't feel like it ever talked down to kids and confronted some real heavy poo poo in like nearly exact words. Hell, Professor X bends Magneto into submission once by forcing him to psychically relive the Holocaust. And while they don't show any overt Holocaust imagery, there's enough context clues there that even children are like "OH gently caress THAT'S THE HOLOCAUST, WHAT ARE YOU DOING CHARLES?!"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched the 90s show on and off when it was airing, mainly because it came on at like 9AM on a Saturday and I have always even as a kid been a lazy poo poo who likes to sleep in, but it was one of those shows that didn't feel like it ever talked down to kids and confronted some real heavy poo poo in like nearly exact words. Hell, Professor X bends Magneto into submission once by forcing him to psychically relive the Holocaust. And while they don't show any overt Holocaust imagery, there's enough context clues there that even children are like "OH gently caress THAT'S THE HOLOCAUST, WHAT ARE YOU DOING CHARLES?!"

ya but then there was also a dinosaur episode

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
don't let disney things in my house op so no

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The show's good imo.

Grey Cat posted:

I didn't watch the first one so I probably won't watch a new one.
They introduce the characters really well and the story and premise are not complicated. You'd understand everything just fine watching it even if you'd never seen a single x-men thing before. Whether or not you'd like it is a matter of taste though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ok, is it just me or does cyclops seem like he's on something in this opening scene

Like hes all grinning and going buckwild with the lasers

I don't remember him being like this

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

wolverine should be short and wide like in the cartoon, screw that 6'2 wolverine in the movies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I was Cyclops I too would go buckwild with the lasers.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

deoju posted:

The show's good imo.

They introduce the characters really well and the story and premise are not complicated. You'd understand everything just fine watching it even if you'd never seen a single x-men thing before. Whether or not you'd like it is a matter of taste though.

I've seen a few clips of the old show and a few of the live action movies from the 2000s. I also played a bunch of the marvel vs capcom arcade cabinet at my old job.

I honestly only remember a few of the characters but maybe I'll check it out if it's not particularly lore knowledge necessary.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why’d they make magneto so smoochable?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wolverine's "Who, Apocalypse?" line was the highlight for me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
gently caress. I checked and it turns out I'm not 12 anymore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

gently caress. I checked and it turns out I'm not 12 anymore.

well get off Something awful than! This is a KIDZ SPACE only, no dumb boring adults allowed!!!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh poo poo :ohdear:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm sorry OP, but it's woke. If it comes on at 3am because I rolled over on my TV remote, it would woke me. I can't watch anything that would make me woke when I don't want to be. I need my sleep.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MY X-MEN! TO ME!!!!!

Also, if it was "woke" shouldn't it be
X-Folks or something?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

MY X-MEN! TO ME!!!!!

Also, if it was "woke" shouldn't it be
X-Folks or something?

X-Fellows.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The name is already woke, X-Men, but it was an earlier time so they were being woke but simultaneously ignorant.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Just watched the first episode and it's really good

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
what the flip is a morph?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

They're these weird spadix skinned creatures:

You can get a suit to look just like them:
https://www.morphsuits.com.au/morphsuits

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

:engleft: back in the 60's, there was an x-men character called changeling (during the run of the comics that turned out to be so unpopular that the series was cancelled and they just started reprinting old stories with new numbers on the cover instead)
he was a minor villain who appeared in 3 issues, and he and Blob and two guys that nobody remembers turned on their leader, Mutant Mastermind, when he turned out to actually be a space octopus that was trying to start world war 3 (watchmen stole this). changeling used his powers exactly once and everybody acted shocked that a character named "changeling" had the ability to change into other people, and then he disappeared and was not mentioned again because he wasn't important and nobody cared about him.
later professor x died for the first time, and they went like two years with him dead before the writers decided they wanted to bring him back, and the way they did that was, he shows up, and everybody's like wtf, and he reveals that the him that died was actually changeling (remember? he got tricked by a space octopus back in 1967), who'd been dying of cancer and had come to professor x to ask for the chance to redeem himself at the end of his life (even though he didn't really do anything wrong except be tricked by an octopus?) by joining the x-men, and professor x was like "no, I'm a jerk. instead, secretly take my place and die nameless because I don't want to be bothered while I go prepare for an unrelated alien invasion."

so when they started developing the x-men cartoon, the people making it wanted to establish the background of tragedy and lost comrades that sort of define part of the relationship the x-men have with each other and the world at large, so they decided to take a member of the x-men that had died shortly after his first appearance and move that story up in the timeline so they could include it in the cartoon series. and the character they picked was, of course, changeling john proudstar aka thunderbird. introduced alongside colossus and nightcrawler in the all-new all-different x-men, thunderbird had been deemed to be too similar in personality to wolverine and killed off, then was hardly mentioned ever again. if you know of Thunderbird at all, it's orobably because his little brother Warpath shows up sometimes to be pissed off about professor x getting him killed, but by and large he's probably best known for being one of the only superheroes who it didn't even seem to occur to anybody to bring back.
but, as production approached, the showrunners became uncomfortable with the idea of having exactly one native american character specifically just to kill him off, and they sure as hell weren't gonna have two, so they dug through the archives looking for another x-man who'd died and nobody cared about, and that was changeling... even though he was never actually on the team. so effectively what they came up with for the cartoon was an entirely new character who just shared powers and name with changeling. but then, whoops, in the intervening period between the character being killed off and the comic becoming relevant enough to get a cartoon, the Distinguished Competition had snatched up the trademark to the name "changeling" for their own shapeshifting comic book character, changeling beast boy. so the cartoonists, presumably feeling pretty tired, just renamed him "morph", which kind of ship-of-theseus'd him into just being an entirely new character, and millions of children all had to watch this rando who we could just tell didn't really belong there hanging around and pretending to be part of the family (not unlike the namesakes of a certain character from the comics, eh? I am of course talking about changeling the stepford cuckoos, who are named after both the stepford wives and the midwich cuckoos (basis of the village of the damned))

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I read all that op
Morph was my favorite xman character when I was 10 because I didn't know he wasn't a real xman who died in the first eppie

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

I am too old for kids’ cartoons now op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

deoju posted:

Wolverine's "Who, Apocalypse?" line was the highlight for me.

That made me lol irl