Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Has anyone tested my poor baby the slugger against devastators yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Artillery rounds have changed colours/shapes again, hooray.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
in a game with a lvl 66, he says "they bumped the level cap" seems suss

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Section Z posted:

Somebody on the dev team must be seriously in love with Bile Titans holy poo poo. Railgun praise was for how it can handle titans as much as chargers,

A feat basically only worth it with PS5 hosts because otherwise it still took 10 or so railgun shots to ice one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh poo poo the huge bot quads are in the game now

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1btuqm5/the_bots_have_atats_now/

It's like both tanks stuck together

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Still feels like there's no consistently good way of dealing with Berserkers, like even Impact Grenades are at best a 50/50 shot at taking them out in a single hit

Mind you I don't think Berserkers are actually all that much of a threat in and of themselves, indeed if they didn't have such massive health pools they'd honestly be probably the easiest Bot enemy in the game to deal with since they're the only one without a ranged attack, it's mostly a matter of how tedious it is dealing with more than one or two of them at a time

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if the AMR buff come along with "And now you have even less incentive to bring the AMR instead of an autocanon"

I really, really hope they keep the trend of "Nah unlike bugs, an AMR can actually double tap giant monsters okay." :pray:

drrockso20 posted:

Still feels like there's no consistently good way of dealing with Berserkers, like even Impact Grenades are at best a 50/50 shot at taking them out in a single hit

Mind you I don't think Berserkers are actually all that much of a threat in and of themselves, indeed if they didn't have such massive health pools they'd honestly be probably the easiest Bot enemy in the game to deal with since they're the only one without a ranged attack, it's mostly a matter of how tedious it is dealing with more than one or two of them at a time

Even the autocannon needs to spam hits against them, it is really bonkers how healthy they are for something a defender SMG can take out two of per mag with good grouping on their guts or face.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

bot defend/rescue civilians missions now have a larger arena and get dropped in from the outside so now you have a few more minutes before things snowball. might be able to deal with dropships better before things get unmanageable. be aware patrols will 'spawn' in from the big area just like in normal missions . hilariously.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sindai posted:

Whoa

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Spookydonut posted:

in a game with a lvl 66, he says "they bumped the level cap" seems suss

i just had a game with a level 115.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Grenade launcher massacres berserker packs fyi. Of course whenever I bring one I'm stuck trying to snipe a million rocket devastators at long range or running from hulks. Tradeoffs!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Sindai posted:

that dying growl is wicked.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the bot gunships are like the shriekers where they come from a gunship factory

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Patch notes don't mention the most crucial Dominator buff: they got rid of the stupid white smoke cloud when you fire

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Hwurmp posted:

Patch notes don't mention the most crucial Dominator buff: they got rid of the stupid white smoke cloud when you fire
:eyepop:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Holy poo poo there are 100K players on and total progress is like 17-20% an hour. Are defense missions not affected by efficiency or something? 1/3rd of players are on track to handily beat malevelon in 6-8 hours, and will still have time to easily crush Ubanea.

e: gently caress one of the new titles is Admirable Admiral, but I'm not levelled enough :negative:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nerfing the slugger is dumb; it was a good defense weapon when you're focusing on fighting bots and doing objectives, being able to at the very least slow down all but the biggest threats, but it never allowed you to rack up kills like the sickle and you could still very much get swarmed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda hate when patch notes are mostly nerfs with some attempts at buffing some underpowered things but a vast majority of weapons still remain almost useless while adding in even more ways to get hosed up by the bots.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Diligence counter sniper is still a piece of poo poo and I still have no idea why you'd bring it over a dominator / slugger / scorcher

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Oh drat it, I just got the Slugger and was really feeling I'd found my primary of choice. Oneshot small stuff, stunlock midsize enemies, shoots off Spewer heads in a couple shots, reasonable midrange accuracy, reloads by round so I could keep it topped off. The price was quite low DPS but it felt safe and easy to use for someone with poor aim like me. I'm terrible with anything rapid-fire/high recoil, the visual noise of the bullets prevents me from being able to tell when the thing I'm aiming at has actually died and I can move onto the next thing that needs to die. It looks like they nerfed the things I used it for and lowered its DPS even further...

Primary suggestions? Haven't spent my accumulated SCs on either premium warbond yet since I'm still filling out the free one.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Some quick observations from a single round against the bots:

The Slugger can't stagger devastators anymore, but the damage nerf seems largely inconsequential, it can still one shot devastators to the head and take out smaller bots with ease. Didn't face a single Berserker though, so unsure how it fares against them.
The AMR can take out Striders with two shots to the upper plate, and tanks explode in six shots to the radiator.
Rocket Devastators deal way less damage now. I usually run with light explosive resist armor and vitality booster just to make explosives more manageable, but I feel like that might be overkill now.
They fixed the area around the Detector Tower that disallowed calling in stratagems. I was able to call down a Hellbomb close to its base without issue.
:siren: The T-posing animation bug that happened when for example picking up samples while carrying the SSSD has been fixed! Hopefully the other carrying animation bugs are gone too. :siren:

Edit: Slugger doesn't stagger Berserkers either, but still one taps them to the head. It also can't break open the Point of Interest container doors anymore.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 2, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Slugger might still be all right, I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Does it still one-shot devastator heads? Does it still stagger them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grayshift posted:

Oh drat it, I just got the Slugger and was really feeling I'd found my primary of choice. Oneshot small stuff, stunlock midsize enemies, shoots off Spewer heads in a couple shots, reasonable midrange accuracy, reloads by round so I could keep it topped off. The price was quite low DPS but it felt safe and easy to use for someone with poor aim like me. I'm terrible with anything rapid-fire/high recoil, the visual noise of the bullets prevents me from being able to tell when the thing I'm aiming at has actually died and I can move onto the next thing that needs to die. It looks like they nerfed the things I used it for and lowered its DPS even further...

Primary suggestions? Haven't spent my accumulated SCs on either premium warbond yet since I'm still filling out the free one.

Punisher against bugs, with grenade launcher or impact grenades to deal with spewers, commanders, and hive guards
Diligence or Dominator against bots (Dominator's on the last page of Steeled Veterans though)

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 2, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Seems like the idea was to rebalance slugger and dominator against eachother. Dominator gets the stagger and punch the slugger used to have but it has comparatively poor handling so it can feel more like a support weapon to wield. I think that's OK, tbh, the heavier-feeling weapon hitting harder makes sense although I wouldn't take the slugger over the dominator now, I don't think. First impression is they hit the slugger a bit too hard, but it's still just a better version of the snipers. Scorcher remains my choice for bots overall I think. Being able to quickly clear crowds, shredder tanks and walkers is nice, and it's perfectly decent against mid-sized enemies.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Was the Quasar nerfed? I mean, I get it, but I distinctly remember one-shotting bile titans and popping their heads like balloons when I first got it, now I have to get I think 4-5 headshots before I can do anything, which is... not great.

I can still one-shot chargers reliably but it seems like they're not too difficult to manage when poo poo hits the fan with the mobs so it doesn't seem as much of a boon

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, the upside of the Slugger was the stagger - it was slow to fire and didn't have great range, but it'd keep you safe from a Heavy Devastator through stunlock. Losing that makes it feel like it doesn't have a niche.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sockerbagarn posted:

Edit: Slugger...also can't break open the Point of Interest container doors anymore.

loving unplayable

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

Did they fix the AMR sights?
No, still hits above the center, roughly at where the top of the center square is. Don't know why people keep expecting this to be changed in secret.
https://i.imgur.com/Aj9kOUN.mp4

TescoBag posted:

Has anyone tested my poor baby the slugger against devastators yet?
Still oneshots their face(unsurprising when the revolver also can), doesn't stagger them well anymore, just makes them flinch a bit.
https://i.imgur.com/Ih2ba6J.mp4

Hwurmp posted:

The white smoke didn't change at all. getting me all excited for nothing >:/
https://i.imgur.com/TjVg8pm.mp4

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Armor stat buff does not seem to be helping much with getting shot. But now Medium FORTIFIED exterminator armor from the cash shop can survive an oopsie dive onto robo landmines. Confirmed with testing.

Grenades are stronger than bot landmines. Also confirmed with testing :supaburn:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

With the level cap increased, has the game been tracking XP beyond the level 50 cap? I'm hearing people are diving with people who are already several levels above 50. Even heard of someone apparently seeing a level 104, which seems functionally impossible.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Turn off your flashlight, and the smoke is much less noticable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Durzel posted:

With the level cap increased, has the game been tracking XP beyond the level 50 cap? I'm hearing people are diving with people who are already several levels above 50. Even heard of someone apparently seeing a level 104, which seems functionally impossible.
Yes, I logged in and was already level 72.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grayshift posted:

Defender SMG hits like a runaway train and is 1handed so you can shoot on the run when the game decides to send 6 Berserkers at you to help with cardio.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Horace Kinch posted:

Defender SMG hits like a runaway train and is 1handed so you can shoot on the run when the game decides to send 6 Berserkers at you to help with cardio.
"Hits like a runaway train" is one way to put "has just barely higher dps(606.6) than the starting primary weapon(586.6)".

If you seriously want to mulch a crowd of berserkers, you want the breaker with its 1,650 raw dps up close. That means you need to cover for shooting raiders farther away with other weapons, but you can do that in a few different ways.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'm a level 74 Admirable Admiral :toot:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
SMG handles berserkers better in my experience but that may be because it doesnt limit movement much

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm a level 74 Admirable Admiral :toot:

Level 11 space cadet reporting in!

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Admirable Admiral aside why anyone uses anything other than Space Cadet is beyond me

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Ballbot5000 posted:

Admirable Admiral aside why anyone uses anything other than Space Cadet is beyond me

Some people are just too young for pinball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Death captain both sounds cool and accurately describes what happens to me most frequently