Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Zoya posted:

back the gently caress off on the zanders i'll fight you !!!

Clo's CAW would be terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

CubicalSucrose posted:

majestic

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zoya posted:

back the gently caress off on the zanders i'll fight you !!!

They're mine! MINE!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CubicalSucrose posted:

Caw?

:birdthunk:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

For starters, you only need to give out rows or columns because you could put the whole table together with just those if everyone shared their info. Suppose you had only 4 fish and 4 locations; the only purpose giving 4 players individual fish rows and 4 players individual location columns for the available fish is redundancy, otherwise the players can go with revealing the info about either all 4 fish or all 4 locations and create the big table by sticking them all together for the complete picture of fish probabilities.

Secondly, your idea sounds like it has a 3 player deficit minimum; there are only 13 players here, not 14, I don't have any table info like that, and it sounds like Cube doesn't either. So what's the story with the 3 table bits that aren't available? What's more, given the setup I think it'd be silly to have incomplete overlap as opposed to having an efficient cross-section of the table that could amount to the same end while allowing for more ideas on other types of affinities.

Yeah, "If everyone truthfully shared their info then everyone would get the full picture" was what was going on in my head when I looked at the power and went "oh cool, we each get a piece of puzzle to play witb".

As to how it works if some people don't have pieces - it doesn't, that's the whole point! But I know that now. I didn't when I was arguing with you earlier on.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Also, from the seal pic thread, please help me convince Illu that this game is meant to go like this:

https://i.imgur.com/C7CGSb6.mp4

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Create-A-Wrestler. It's the Something Awful Wrestling in-ring fake fake wrestling avatar that actually does the moves and such.

The people who make them make them based on the poster's avatar. So yours would likely be a demonic seal of some sort.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

Also, from the seal pic thread, please help me convince Illu that this game is meant to go like this:

Powerful seal to bust through the ice like that.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

Yeah, "If everyone truthfully shared their info then everyone would get the full picture" was what was going on in my head when I looked at the power and went "oh cool, we each get a piece of puzzle to play witb".

As to how it works if some people don't have pieces - it doesn't, that's the whole point! But I know that now. I didn't when I was arguing with you earlier on.

Yeah, you were doing the Crab thing for a bit there where you assumed you had the entire game figured out based on very limited info

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, you were doing the Crab thing for a bit there where you assumed you had the entire game figured out based on very limited info

... thanks, I needed a reason to cut back on drunkish Mafia playing.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CubicalSucrose posted:

Powerful seal to bust through the ice like that.

I will be that powerful once I manage to eat the King of the Lake. Then I shall become the new Queen of the Lake.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

I will be that powerful once I manage to eat the King of the Lake. Then I shall become the new Queen of the Lake.

If only this policy applied more broadly.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Cloacamazing! posted:

Arturian myths getting saucy, huh.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Anybody care to tell me what I'm likely to catch in lake D?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Hyperion book 2 complete, starting book 3.

This game is odd. It's unclear how to play D1. Feels like the gimmick should matter somehow, but I'm not quite seeing it.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Oh you didn't tell me you read Hyperion. Good poo poo

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

I was under the impression that your affinity for (fish X) only applied to you (and would likely be slightly higher than most everyone else, for that fish). Are you saying you have base catch probabilities in general?

I guess "affinity" is a little ambiguous.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

Hyperion book 2 complete, starting book 3.

This game is odd. It's unclear how to play D1. Feels like the gimmick should matter somehow, but I'm not quite seeing it.

I think the intended thing to do is to just fish and see what that nets you. I think I argued this yesterday, but even if we had the full table of odds, there is zero guarantee of you getting what you particularly want anyway - you need the 50%/80% odds of fishing to trigger, then you get a fish on a chance out of a table with many others, and then if that fish is the biggest one, you get a role. Tbf I don't think this setup is intended to have a logical solve, it looks really chance based to me, which is IMO part of the fun.

If we wanna play night action bingo, we're gonna need to wait until anyone actually has night actions. Otherwise, it's gonna be social mafia, which is good.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

I was under the impression that your affinity for (fish X) only applied to you (and would likely be slightly higher than most everyone else, for that fish). Are you saying you have base catch probabilities in general?

I guess "affinity" is a little ambiguous.

Affinity for striped shirts is the flavor name of the power I got, it isn't an affinity for a specific fish.

As far as I can tell from wording, odds at the start are the same for all players, I just get told what those odds are for a specific fish. I don't think I get a higher chance of getting a particular fish, I just get told which spot has an higher chance of that fish - which works out the same, but on info basis, not on power basis.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

So what are my odds for that fish at lake D??

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So basically if you want the clownfish, you know which place has the best odds of giving out clownfish, or if you don't want the clownfish, you know which place has the lowest odds of giving out clownfish, and thus higher odds of giving you something you want like the Zander. Sounds neat.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Johnny Keats posted:

So what are my odds for that fish at lake D??

Go find out!

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Tired Moritz replaces Saladscooper

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

##vote tmor replacements are always scum

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh, hope you're okay salad! Welcome to our fishing competition, TMor!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My eyes glazed over the last page of posts

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
That's a mistake, you should watch the video I posted

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

My eyes glazed over the last page of posts

I'd say penny for your thoughts, but I kinda think you already gave some. Sorry for the mathing spec, but at least that gets some folks talkin' game, and what's not that seens to still be stuck in jokephase so

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I feel like I'm getting light Zoya pings. Her chaos energy this game feels slightly forced, less natural than I remember her town play being.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

I'd say penny for your thoughts, but I kinda think you already gave some. Sorry for the mathing spec, but at least that gets some folks talkin' game, and what's not that seens to still be stuck in jokephase so

It’s all good it gives me hard townie vibes from you but also please clue me in when necessary

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

shwinnebego posted:

has your Shell-dar ever correctly identified Shell as scum?

The only game I can think of where we were on opposite teams was OA's Rimworld, and I didn't quite catch on but the double stabbing/vig kinda gave it away...lol

Also she doesn't play often so small sample size

But FWIW my ability to detect anyone is scum is broken as gently caress, I'm wrong 75% of the time I think

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

The only game I can think of where we were on opposite teams was OA's Rimworld, and I didn't quite catch on but the double stabbing/vig kinda gave it away...lol

Also she doesn't play often so small sample size

But FWIW my ability to detect anyone is scum is broken as gently caress, I'm wrong 75% of the time I think

I feel like the game where I dayvigged the claimed cop and doc and triggered the hammer on a townie who was at -1 shouldn't count :V

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I just laid flat on my stomach with my head inside a floor level cabinet to change the tip seals and o-rings off a vaccuum pump and I kinda feel they should reevaluate what "lab tech" means in this place tbh

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Illu has changed my confessional name and says I can be a seal if I want, but he won't let me steal your fishies.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shellception posted:

I feel like the game where I dayvigged the claimed cop and doc and triggered the hammer on a townie who was at -1 shouldn't count :V

A bit too on the nose yeah

I think more often than not I've been scum when you were town vs the other way around

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

A bit too on the nose yeah

I think more often than not I've been scum when you were town vs the other way around

Apart from Rimworld you've played with scum me in Beezels (Sombergame, Yami got you to be the D1 vote, so I'm sure I didn't make much of an impression) and in Arknights (where you were iffy at me the whole game but it was also my first). We played a Christmas Maf of bad memories as scum pair, and the last time I scummed you weren't playing IIRC. So it's no wonder you don't remember me much.

I've played town with scum you, off the top of my head, in USSR Mafia (where y'all steamrolled us), Stellaris Mafia 1 (Grandi pocketed me, you suicided at the end), the first Isekai Mafia (lol Bif SK win) and that Toal game that was about changelings or something (where I copped you and you stabbed me N1 :( ). The only time I recall where I wad town and you were a 3p trying to get on my good side was that XFiles game Opop ran... and I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but I might.

We're 4 for 3, you just tend to be a longer lived scum than I am.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can someone simplify the gimmick of the game

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm not really sure about the whole "This is when I was being scummy" exchange between Shell and Maer there.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sorry to the thread for the trip down memory lane, but it's better than fish math by far

I'm also waiting for fish results, so get to fishin people

Does anyone fish irl? Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley don't count. I think I went a couple times as a kid but I didn't (don't) like to touch worms or fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone simplify the gimmick of the game

There are six fishing spots (A-F). You can fish six times. You can choose your starting spot, but moving to another spot takes up a time slot. So you could either fish 6 times at A or fish 2 times at B, move to A and fish 3 times at A. You submit your fish and move plans as a private action in your confessional.

When you fish, Illu rolls some table or something to decide if you catch a fish, what kind if fish you catch and how big the fish you catch is. Once all the fish have been fished, the player with the biggest fish X gets a oneshot item.

There's some more details in the OP, but I think that's the basics.