Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Renegret posted:

We had kiddo's tonsil's out at 3 years old and I do have to say, it's not so bad. The anticipation was far worse than actually going through with it. You're usually focused in the moment and constantly pushing forward so there's little time to be worried. Then suddenly he's fine and back to normal. The recovery is only bad for the first 24 hours. The Motrin + Tylenol combo is incredible.

There can be a lot of variation in this though. Tonsillectomy recovery for our three year old was huge pain in the neck for us for 3-4 days even with the opiate pain killer that was prescribed. He would wake up screaming for three nights and was a horrible combination of extremely energetic and extremely cranky during the day.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I need a convincing way to throw a game of Candy Land. I thought mathematically I would lose a game of chance like fifty percent of the time but, no.

I guess I need to keep a Sweet Treat card in my sleeve to send me way back if I start winning.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Brawnfire posted:

I need a convincing way to throw a game of Candy Land. I thought mathematically I would lose a game of chance like fifty percent of the time but, no.

I guess I need to keep a Sweet Treat card in my sleeve to send me way back if I start winning.

I can't win Candy Land to save my life. The kids almost always get a loving ice cream cone card early game - on our board, that's the furthest special space you can go. I know there are a lot of variations. I usually stack the deck when I'm shuffling to make it reasonably "fair," but games of chance rarely are.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Candy land is a game of skill and I know this because I always lose 100% of the time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
But yeah stacking the deck is one way. I also only selectively force the negative rules. So even if we're not doing the move backwards rule for sweet treats, I'll conveniently forget to draw a new card and skip my turn but let the kids draw a new one.

Or just be cursed with horrendous luck

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ah, Monday night. I’m alone with the kids tonight and am just currently exhausted from work/life.

5 year old decides dinner is the perfect time to float the ‘why do people die?’ question.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Much like Yoda, from your incessant questions.

Good night, love."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My kids/toddlers are learning about death from ladybugs. Earlier in the year there were living ladybugs in our house. Now there are dead ladybugs in our house. It feels good to get the basics of this conversation done early.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

“Do we just spin on the planet, and then we go to sleep, and then we wake up, and we go to sleep, and then we wake up, and then we die?”

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

gbut posted:

“Do we just spin on the planet, and then we go to sleep, and then we wake up, and we go to sleep, and then we wake up, and then we die?”

Yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh good, you got it, we can go to sleep and never discuss it again until, as you noted, we die

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I'm just impressed with anyone who can do sleep training. I've tried doing it when my wife's been away, but the baby just starts wailing hysterically the second I put her down no matter how sleepy she is (unless she's already asleep) and I can't take it for more than a couple of minutes, even if I'm in the other room with all the doors shut. Neither can my wife, so we have a one-year-old who sleeps the first stint (2-3 hrs) in the cot and then moves to the bed for a couple more 3-4 hr stretches

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Burning Rain posted:

I'm just impressed with anyone who can do sleep training. I've tried doing it when my wife's been away, but the baby just starts wailing hysterically the second I put her down no matter how sleepy she is (unless she's already asleep) and I can't take it for more than a couple of minutes, even if I'm in the other room with all the doors shut. Neither can my wife, so we have a one-year-old who sleeps the first stint (2-3 hrs) in the cot and then moves to the bed for a couple more 3-4 hr stretches

Bust out your noise canceling headphones, mute the monitor, occasionally glance over to make sure baby is alive, suffer for a while to reap rewards for both you and baby

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Noise canceling headphones and you feel like a monster up until you get a full night of sleep. then it's all "gently caress them kids"

But seriously convincing yourself that your child is fine and not going to die/be traumatized is the hardest part.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Benagain posted:

But seriously convincing yourself that your child is fine and not going to die/be traumatized is the hardest part.

It's hard to remember while you're listening to them wail, but they are just fine! They are full, they have a clean diaper, and they are warm and safe in their bed. They don't need you to come to get them, they are just used to doing it one way and the change makes them furious.

That said, it does feel like it goes against your every instinct to hear them cry. But instincts can be dumb as gently caress.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Olanphonia posted:

It's hard to remember while you're listening to them wail, but they are just fine! They are full, they have a clean diaper, and they are warm and safe in their bed. They don't need you to come to get them, they are just used to doing it one way and the change makes them furious.

That said, it does feel like it goes against your every instinct to hear them cry. But instincts can be dumb as gently caress.

I bolded the important part. We very quickly figured out our kid's hungry cry, but it wasn't until one of us accidentally pinched a little bit of her arm between a chair and a table while holding her (she was fine, just a pinch) that we understood what her scared/hurt cry was and how different it was from what she was doing when she wanted to be picked up. Once we realized that she was just cranky that she wasn't being held it became a lot easier to let her chill until she figured out self soothing.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Our two year old has taken to his toddler bed very well these past few days. He’d been sleeping in our bed between us since he was born, and while this was a great setup for night feedings, it had gotten pretty old of late now that he’s powerful enough to kick us in the face all night.

Anyway, it feels like a big victory as we’ve had several false starts with independent sleeping in the past. I’m really proud of this little milestone, and we’re all sleeping much better now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I need to start up the sleep training again tbh, we’ve been putting him in the bed with us to sleep which is nice sometimes but I think it would be nice to get him back to sleeping in the crib.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We've probably been fortunate in that most of the time KG3 (11 weeks) will go down on his own in his crib in his bedroom with minimal fuss at night. His main disruptor is that he will migrate to one side (not an ambi-turner), tangle his arms in the bars, and then start complaining. Once we pick him up and move him all the way back, he's fine and will self soothe. Any advice on this one to keep him from getting stuck? I don't really mind getting up and moving him once a night (other than his ~2 AM snack) but he'd probably sleep through from ~2 AM to morning if he didn't do this.

Kid fuckin sucks at sleeping on his own during the day, though. He will rarely go to sleep without contact and will rarely stay asleep for more than 45 mins. I will gladly take this trade.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

You are not the only lost soul in this world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any advice on this one to keep him from getting stuck?

Setting baby to sleep in the pack 'n play was the only surefire way we stopped her crib entanglements. This could be a temporary workaround, if you have one. And pack 'n plays are safe for sleep!

And goondolences, baby moon is also a terrible daytime napper. It's either contact naps or howling into the void :mildpanic:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Can you use those mesh crib bumpers or are those verboten now?

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

cailleask posted:

Can you use those mesh crib bumpers or are those verboten now?

I used them until baby started pulling them down :gonk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Had a playdate, and then a piano lesson

Thankfully we had an hour between to wind her down, because holy gently caress

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
2.4 year old is skipping most of her naps at daycare and sometimes at home. Problem is, she only has about 12 hours “wake budget” per day, so she becomes an absolute nightmare every minute past that budget.

She usually wakes/is woken up at 7:30 AM and we have her upstairs and getting ready for bed at 7:45 PM. dunno if I should wake her up a little bit earlier to build sleep pressure?

the other issue could be these rainy days where they don’t go outside, so she doesn’t get her energy out.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve found that sleeping is illogical. I can’t make seemingly logical statements like, “if I wake them up earlier in the morning then they’ll go to sleep earlier at night.” Hell, I can’t even say, “if my kid is tired then they’ll sleep.” I don’t know that kids connect the problem of being tired with the solution of sleep. Sometimes the solution is to scream about it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm tired of people say "oh he's gonna sleep good tonight" when something crazy is going on.

No, he's gonna sleep equally as bad as normal. Instead I'm gonna be extra tired and extra cranky and unable to deal with the normal poo poo.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Nybble posted:

2.4 year old is skipping most of her naps at daycare and sometimes at home. Problem is, she only has about 12 hours “wake budget” per day, so she becomes an absolute nightmare every minute past that budget.

She usually wakes/is woken up at 7:30 AM and we have her upstairs and getting ready for bed at 7:45 PM. dunno if I should wake her up a little bit earlier to build sleep pressure?

the other issue could be these rainy days where they don’t go outside, so she doesn’t get her energy out.

I think it’s also a practice thing. My kiddo has been skipping naps on the weekends for a few months and has gone from ‘stark raving lunatic’ to something a lot more manageable. Parts of hearing her stream of consciousness rambling followed by instant sleep was cute, but it’s getting much better.

I def recommended trying at least a few nights of sleep training. As I mentioned not long ago, we put up with bad sleep for about a year because we needed to get her weight up, but we tried a single night of crying it out and it sure as poo poo appears like the baby understood what was going on and figured out how to go back to sleep in her own. She’s slept through the night ever since.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

lifg posted:

I don’t know that kids connect the problem of being tired with the solution of sleep.

They absolutely don't make that connection, and that's a major part of what makes parents give up on sleep training and go back to messing with their kid every single time they cry until everyone in the house is dying from exhaustion.

Imagine being exhausted but not understanding that sleep is what you need to do, and someone keeps coming into your room and picking you up and messing with your pants and trying to get you to eat and then carrying you around for awhile and then eventually putting you back in bed, and then after an hour coming in again to start the whole thing over.

Kids cry when they're tired because being tired is a kind of pain, but like you said they don't understand that the cure is to go to sleep. Our first pediatrician hammered this into my brain and basically told me to leave my baby the gently caress alone so she could get to sleep, because previously I was really struggling to feel okay doing that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

As hectic as it can be, swim lessons have been awesome for both our kids, our 10mo is starting to get floating and crab walking along the pool down and she genuinely loves the water. Excited for another class tonight

3yo keeps doing what all the others do and that's take off the goggles and whine about them, only for the instructor to gently and kindly put them back on, the guy has the patience of a sainy

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kazz posted:

Now we are struggling with both me and baby learning how to breastfeed, but he is so cute and I love him and I’m happy he’s finally on the outside. :)

Congratulations! Breastfeeding can be a struggle, don't be afraid to ask for help from whoever you have to. Stock up on nipple cream

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We've probably been fortunate in that most of the time KG3 (11 weeks) will go down on his own in his crib in his bedroom with minimal fuss at night. His main disruptor is that he will migrate to one side (not an ambi-turner), tangle his arms in the bars, and then start complaining. Once we pick him up and move him all the way back, he's fine and will self soothe. Any advice on this one to keep him from getting stuck? I don't really mind getting up and moving him once a night (other than his ~2 AM snack) but he'd probably sleep through from ~2 AM to morning if he didn't do this.

Kid fuckin sucks at sleeping on his own during the day, though. He will rarely go to sleep without contact and will rarely stay asleep for more than 45 mins. I will gladly take this trade.

Swaddle those arms up

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Kids can’t drink alcohol to wind down after a hard day so they scream instead. Can’t blame them really, they don’t have many options!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I simply smoke weed with my child every night, puts her right down! ( I do not actually do this please do not report me)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

Kids can’t drink alcohol to wind down after a hard day so they scream instead. Can’t blame them really, they don’t have many options!

To be fair, I scream and cry myself to sleep every night too

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

Parenting Megathread: I scream and cry myself to sleep every night

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

I'm tired of people say "oh he's gonna sleep good tonight" when something crazy is going on.

No, he's gonna sleep equally as bad as normal. Instead I'm gonna be extra tired and extra cranky and unable to deal with the normal poo poo.

On the flip though, when my kid takes a massive poo poo he does sleep better (I'm coping)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Renegret posted:

Ban all talk of sleep. Someone asks you "How are they sleeping?" Awful. The child never sleeps. I don't want to talk about it. They don't. It's the Development That Must Not Be Named. Just like shoplifting food: Did you just see that child sleep? No, you didn't.

Only when the conversation around the topic ceases is there any glimmer of hope that the bastard child will find peace.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It took about 2 weeks of sleep training for our oldest to catch on. They were a miserable, tough 2 weeks, but it had been a miserable tough 6 months leading up to that decision.

I would do it over again in a heartbeat and we plan on sleep training our youngest now right at 6 months. The quality of life improvement is indescribable.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Our first kid (almost 6 years old) sleeps pretty well and has since sleep training as a baby. Our second kid (3 years old) has never slept well, my wife didn't want to sleep train him, and now at least since he turned ~2.5 he's slept through the night instead of waking up several times every night, but somehow ends up in our bed between midnight at 3 am every night. Let me be your cautionary tale and please do sleep train your baby.

Relatedly, any tips on how to get a 3 year old to stay in his own drat bed all night are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Parental fear I never thought I'd experience: tsunami warning where we live. I'm at work and Mrs C and the boy are at home. By all accounts we are both perfectly safe - our home is far inland and the neighbors have said not to worry, and school is 90m above sea level - but it's still pretty terrifying!