Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
OSPREAY VS SHIBATA 18 26.09%
BUCKS VS PP 2 2.90%
WOMENS FOUR WAY 5 7.25%
BEST FRIENDS VS KINGDOM 2 2.90%
SWERVE VS TAKESHITA 42 60.87%
Total: 69 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

why in the world would you do releases on april fools day, that's just weird.

Considering how these are the first cuts ever (as far as Im aware), whoever made the call must have had to start off with and reiterate "this is not an April fools day prank." Multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I would assume that these were planned beforehand knowing that it was the start of the new fiscal and I doubt anyone was just chucked out on their ear, but it is unfortunate that the weird timing and news of the day combined with the release of a regularly-featured ring announcer and very active-on-social-media manager made the look seem so much worse. It's not even that releases are uncommon in wrestling or other sports, even if they always kinda suck, it's just that as always a combination of circumstances out of AEW's control and a few that could have been handled better have bubbled up.

With all that said, I'm still in awe at Punk hitting himself in his own dick and balls in the interview. Out here like I Think You Should Leave. "You should be able to choke someone a LITTLE BIT at work"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Wild that Punk gave TK the easiest win ever by criticising him being too nice of a boss and then this happened.

Sadly Khan stopped listening at the "AEW is not a real business" stuff. Real businesses fire people so TK decided he'd prove he's a real business boy.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
So apparently Phil Brooks said that he feels he is ahead of schedule with this current triceps injury because, and I'm quoting Alvarez recapping, "After the first brawl out nobody in AEW talked to me. But this time I didn't have to find my doctor and rehab place,WWE took care of that."

:lol: Sure Phil.

Also stealing from Cactus Jack Perry who has recently said that Tony didn't speak to him for months.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

None of those cuts are actually bad

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I would assume that these were planned beforehand knowing that it was the start of the new fiscal and I doubt anyone was just chucked out on their ear ...

If it's done like some businesses(mine included), it was mainly known by those who do financials and maybe a handful of upper level people. Outside of them, it's a surprise to everyone else.

No clue if that's how they operate but the list makes it sound similarly done. I just don't think anyone would say "Fire Jora Johl" on impulse.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cutting Anthony Henry while he’s injured is pretty bad

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes they are

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i’m reserving judgement until i hear tony’s side of the story

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Cutting Anthony Henry while he’s injured is pretty bad

He had a broken jaw that needed no surgery, just to be reset and healed, and he's something like 6 weeks into the 8 weeks he said he needs to heal it. Were they supposed to wait 2 weeks and then cut him?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
dumbass

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

If it's done like some businesses(mine included), it was mainly known by those who do financials and maybe a handful of upper level people. Outside of them, it's a surprise to everyone else.

No clue if that's how they operate but the list makes it sound similarly done. I just don't think anyone would say "Fire Jora Johl" on impulse.

it's actually my mantra

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I would like the rest of the Dark Order to be released

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dasha's going to be the one I miss most; I thought she was great and she seemed to be pretty solidly in position as the #2 ring announcer in AEW.

Also I'm going through layoffs at my job right now and most businesses handle these way worse than AEW has. We had a bunch of people laid off 2 weeks ago but you'd never know unless you just happened to email someone and got the "this person no longer works for the company" email.

It still sucks a lot, obviously.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Sticky Nate posted:

I would like the rest of the Dark Order to be released

into a volcano

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I got laid off during COVID, where was Anthony Henry for me? Where was dasha? As for the boys they simply give me adolf hitler vibes. I take one look at them and I think “hitler”

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

That DICK! posted:

I got laid off during COVID, where was Anthony Henry for me? Where was dasha? As for the boys they simply give me adolf hitler vibes. I take one look at them and I think “hitler”

have you talked to your therapist about seeing hitlers everywhere?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah it sucks for Anthony Henry since he’s on the shelf so can’t work but otherwise I couldn’t argue to keep anyone else on that list :shrug:

In an ideal world everyone gets to cash a billionaire’s cheques for doing nothing forever though, so it goes both ways.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

im sick of these kind of characters. i think one of us should kill hitler

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

have you talked to your therapist about seeing hitlers everywhere?

whoa, I'm seeing double! four hitlers!

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I could have sworn Tony once said his approach was to not renew contracts as opposed to releasing people.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Insanely pissed off that these jobbers were released because now I can’t post about how they need to get off my tv on the rare occasions they appeared on it

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Seams posted:

Insanely pissed off that these jobbers were released because now I can’t post about how they need to get off my tv on the rare occasions they appeared on it

jobbers is a little high on the card for these dudes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Crapple! posted:

I could have sworn Tony once said his approach was to not renew contracts as opposed to releasing people.

This is the part that annoys me. What's the point of a contact if you can just be let out of it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shard posted:

This is the part that annoys me. What's the point of a contact if you can just be let out of it

There's likely some kind of severance/early termination fee that's being paid as part of the contract. Still cheaper than setting it out in full.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Seams posted:

I remember Parker Boudreaux as part of the Trustbusters like some kind of a fever dream so this post checks out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I hate all the releases, but Anthony Henry is the cruelest. He's injured and he was underutilized.

Oasx posted:

How can anyone not like RJ City?

Ask the extremely loud (extremely Cornpilled) guy who was sitting behind me at Revolution. He repeatedly described RJ City as "Worthless" during the preshow, a term he later applied to: Orange Cassidy, Eddie Kingston, Mox

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
that was me

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
A lot of these people may have been on per appearance contracts, which going from 0 to none isn't much of a change.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can certainly appreciate that this is better than most companies doing layoffs - my old workplace went semi-viral for doing a massive layoff a few weeks after I left, and the Teams call where it was announced was recorded, posted, and farmed for engagement views (and yet, none of the reporters who posted the video seemed to want to follow up about the many other things I could have blown the whistle about, strange!) - but in general, drat, I just don't like seeing anyone laid off at all. I think there was a hope that this company would be different and only grant releases if requested, but it has been five years so we'll probably have to get used to these happening here and there.

The timing of Parker's tweet was darkly funny though. I hope he manages to unlock what he needs in Mexico.

Seams posted:

lol

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Oil! posted:

A lot of these people may have been on per appearance contracts, which going from 0 to none isn't much of a change.

If that was the case there was no reason to release them!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Jackie D posted:

If that was the case there was no reason to release them!

Being required to be "on call" every Wednesday, Saturday, and occasional Friday reduces the independent dates you can take.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
just got word from the WrestleHut Whatsapp that Stu Grayson, Dasha Kuret,The Boys,Anthony Henry,Slim J,Gravity,Jose The Assistant,Parker Boudreaux,Jora Johl are going to the fed :(

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Dasha is the one that hurts a lot because she's been around since All Out(2019) and around the company in some form or another, Spanish commentary or announcing

I'm just assuming that at some point she got a full contract or I don't know, it just sucks about Dasha

:smith:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Aside from SRS calling them 'releases', do we actually know all of them were releases? Obviously with Dasha it feels like a releases because she was still used regularly for announcing, and the Boys were in a current storyline. But at the same time, Parker Boudreaux hasn't wrestled AT ALL in over a year, Jora Johl had like 2 Dark and 1 ROH match in the past year, Slim J was an ROH jobber, and Gravity was more or less the same. Would seem like just not renewing contracts for most of these.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Germansimp posted:

Aside from SRS calling them 'releases', do we actually know all of them were releases? Obviously with Dasha it feels like a releases because she was still used regularly for announcing, and the Boys were in a current storyline. But at the same time, Parker Boudreaux hasn't wrestled AT ALL in over a year, Jora Johl had like 2 Dark and 1 ROH match in the past year, Slim J was an ROH jobber, and Gravity was more or less the same. Would seem like just not renewing contracts for most of these.

I feel like if this were the case, AEW would have clarified it immediately seeing that it's giving them bad PR.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I know it wasn't because your posts aren't all-caps and 50% the word "fuckin'"

Nor have you ever (earnestly, repeatedly) posted anything on the level of "Dey shoulda put Sting's retirement match as the first match on the card, only da World Title match should ever be da main event..."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I know it wasn't because your posts aren't all-caps and 50% the word "fuckin'"

Nor have you ever (earnestly, repeatedly) posted anything on the level of "Dey shoulda put Sting's retirement match as the first match on the card, only da World Title match should ever be da main event..."

that is a real dumb take. the most important match should always go on last.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Dasha's release is probably the strangest one. Like I get releasing wrestlers in a company that has 145 wrestlers on the roster but you only had 2 ring announcers. And one of them was sending inappropriate texts to a teenage girl a decade ago, and it wasn't Dasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Dasha's release is probably the strangest one. Like I get releasing wrestlers in a company that has 145 wrestlers on the roster but you only had 2 ring announcers. And one of them was sending inappropriate texts to a teenage girl a decade ago, and it wasn't Dasha.

They have Bobby Cruise as well but it's really weird because Dasha had been used more than ever lately!