Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I didn't want to call anyone out, but that was exactly the one I was thinking of.

Well then. :v:
It's probably the one I remember actually bouncing off the most when reading. Otherwise I quite enjoy reading them. But that one in particular has stood out to be.

Then again I don't think I ever really read the classic Fallout fanfic LPs either. But that was mostly because those are games I've played so much myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember reading the Arcanum LP in the archives ages ago and bounced off because it went a bit too much into the fanfiction writing for the main character.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that too and thinking it was really odd at the time. I pushed through it though because I never managed to finish Arcanum as a kid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I appreciate that Sanguinia's FFXIV LP does have original fiction as an optional link in their posts for the sufficiently engaged members of the audience who might be interested.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can't tell me that Didja Redo's Gazillionaire Deluxe LP isn't art. :colbert:

Avalon Code was also fantastic by Didja Redo, definitely a case of fanfiction re-writing a game that is conceptually amazing but is actually incredibly mediocre. GuavaMoment's X-Com and Speedball's XCOM LPs are the same but more akin to that Gazillionaire LP where the in-game narrative is mostly light/non-existent.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I fan-fic wrote my Exile LPs because character and plot are very thin on the ground, and having characters the players can relate to helped people understand what was going on, and why I did the things I did in the order that I did them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Avalon Code was also fantastic by Didja Redo, definitely a case of fanfiction re-writing a game that is conceptually amazing but is actually incredibly mediocre. GuavaMoment's X-Com and Speedball's XCOM LPs are the same but more akin to that Gazillionaire LP where the in-game narrative is mostly light/non-existent.
Seconding the Avalon Code LP, I enjoyed Didja Redo's additions to that game.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Fanfic clearly has no place in LPs, please do not examine at any of my work or look at what day of the year it is. :v:

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

GuavaMoment's X-Com and Speedball's XCOM LPs are the same but more akin to that Gazillionaire LP where the in-game narrative is mostly light/non-existent.

Another good example of the approach is Kinu's Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko expanding on 7th Dragon: 2020, along with Rea's Etrian Odyssey LPs that inspired it. I feel like plot-light games like dungeon crawlers are a solid fit for this sort of thing in general, especially when they're not as fraught action-to-action as, say, Nethack or Angband.

EDIT: The right game, dammit!

fatsleepycat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 3, 2024

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The amount of plot a game has on its own is definitely an important factor. And of course you get your Etrian Odysseys and Wizardrys and such where your parties are all generics, which allow for tons of LPer-created dialogue.

When I did the story mode LPs for the Etrian Odyssey Untold games I didn't bother with a narrative cause hey, the game already did that for me there since everyone's a preset character with 1 silent protagonist per party, and way less work for me!

And also why in the world would I want to distract people from the train wreck that was Untold 1's story mode? :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

Fanfic clearly has no place in LPs, please do not examine at any of my work or look at what day of the year it is. :v:

Take fanfiction to Creative Convention!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At one point, I was gonna do an LP of 7th Stand User in the style of a novelization of the game, but my cursed enemy Transcribing Dialogue made it way more work than I wanted to deal with

E: I've still got the prologue recording and the first chapter written up...

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 2, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah, as someone who did a quasi-DarkId fanfic-style sslp, there's nowt wrong with that type of LP, so long as it is good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who does light in-character commentary and often struggles greatly getting anything half-worthwhile together even then, I can only respect people who do entire LPs that way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

At one point, I was gonna do an LP of 7th Stand User in the style of a novelization of the game, but my cursed enemy Transcribing Dialogue made it way more work than I wanted to deal with

E: I've still got the prologue recording and the first chapter written up...

Oh no I ended up redownloading the game

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no I ended up redownloading the game

I was actually considering doing 7SU before I settled on doing VFD, but then I realized just how much loving game is in there and decided not to.

Like seriously you have to clear the game five times just to unlock chaos mode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no no no this would be a single playthrough, doing a 100% LP of 7SU is a fool's errand

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Matul Remrit is still my favorite Dwarf Fortress LPs/fanfic and possibly one of my favorite LPs ever: The art and music were great, and it was fun seeing more of the setting's social intrigue play out as the dwarves became their own worst enemies. I still have the little clay statue of Dowl from the thread contest :3:

On the other hand I tried to give a reread to an LPfic of a shallow RPG, but I forgot that it inexplicably turned the princess into a cannibal and the queen into a pedophile. Some of the worldbuilding was neat but those were just weird choices to make out of the blue. That was before 2010 so I guess it was just in the era where a lot of people thought a good adventure story needed to be violent.

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder if Pokemon Reborn ever ended up getting finished

I remember one of the biggest criticisms of Reborn was that the characters were taken from the tragedies of real forums users, but apparently the author walked that back and said it was all fiction? Honestly that's a huge relief, though I really wish they'd done that sooner instead of doubling down and saying a grieving daughter was totally okay with her dad's suicide being put into the game. Anyway yeah I don't think there's anything more that could be gotten out of another Reborn LP attempt.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 2, 2024

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm generally up for giving LP fanfiction a shot, even if other people think it's going overboard. The only time I can think of where it fell flat for me was the Total War "Scotsmen in Egypt" LP. I gave up on that one because having the Scots perform curbstomp after curbstomp did not mix with the LP being so narrative-heavy. I would not have had this problem with it if it was more of a mechanically oriented explainer of how Total War worked.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fajita Queen posted:

I've always been on the side of fanfic in lps that already have stories being really cringe, but I simply just don't read them if I don't like the writing, instead of being even weirder about it than the lp writer is.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think there's a bit of a limit, personally, though it's always a taste thing. I don't mind when someone adds dialogue to a mute protagonist, snarky asides to the pre-existing companions or whatever, but there have been a couple of times where someone wrote their own, entire secondary storyline to go alongside the existing storyline and it went completely overboard as a creative writing exercise.

I remember when I first got the idea/urge to add some Fanfic to the FF14 LP to flesh out who I was starting to understand my Warrior of Light to be, I was pretty nervous about it, not just because I was putting my writing out there to be skewered, but because the story is the absolute center of that game and I didn't want to tread on it. Still, I felt passionate enough about it to go through with it (and continue to add more here and there when the occasion strikes me) and settled on the compromise of making my writing an external link so nobody had to read it if they weren't interested. I think it's worked out well. The people who like the fanfic bits are vocally supportive of them, and the people who don't can ignore them freely without it impacting their LP reading experience.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think FF14 is a pretty good vehicle for it because the protagonist has no real personality in the game, and there are a ton of scenes where you can imagine them full of emotion and wanting to brain someone, or otherwise caring about what's going on. Lots of unexplained protagonist passivity you could write about.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

fatsleepycat posted:

Another good example of the approach is Kinu's Sympathy for Chisa Inomiko fixing the absolute absurdity that was 7th Dragon VFD

that's not even the game(s) i lped. BisbyWorl did that one. also i think my lp is exactly what most posters in this thread would call 'too much' lmao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PurpleXVI posted:

I think FF14 is a pretty good vehicle for it because the protagonist has no real personality in the game, and there are a ton of scenes where you can imagine them full of emotion and wanting to brain someone, or otherwise caring about what's going on. Lots of unexplained protagonist passivity you could write about.

Especially after HW starts, the WoL is more like Commander Shepard than a usual blank protagonist.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Kinu Nishimura posted:

that's not even the game(s) i lped. BisbyWorl did that one. also i think my lp is exactly what most posters in this thread would call 'too much' lmao

:doh: Fixed, because of course I was going to realize this catching up on the thread right before I saw your post. Regardless, I enjoyed it. Fic is good, LPs are good, LP-fic can be good. 'S'all good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kinu Nishimura posted:

yeah but you did it good so you get a pass

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The avatar’s name is Steve and she went to Mars once

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Exactly

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

That's the thing, as long as the LPer enjoys doing it and it isn't completely creepy then who cares? Even the weird poo poo that Mageknight did at least has some entertainment value (albeit for different reasons than he probably intended), and he did seem overall chill to the reactions to the Fire Emblem and Pokemon Retsu's.

Mageknight seemed completely chill with people finding their stuff funny. Their LPs were goofy but they seemed a class act.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked the Tales of Symphonia LP where it's Martel commentating on the plot from outside of it.

And while the LP of the GBA Chain of Memories was mostly standard, I did like how, during the plot-free revisits on Riku's side of the Disney worlds, they made some diary entries detailing Riku's thoughts. Some was gameplay coverage, but it was interesting to see him reflect like that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
While I waffle back and forth on how I feel about LPs with fanfic elements, I can at least appreciate the effort that it takes to put those in. It's much harder than just going

[love_interest.png] "gently caress those loving fuckers, lol" (in canon they are shy and abhor conflict)

An author that can capture the characters personalities and voice and bring those out in their own additions, without Flanderizing them, is rare. It requires pretty thorough knowledge of how those characters act and sound throughout the entire game. More power if you can pull it off, though!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What if the characters in Chrono Cross said "gently caress"?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Honestly, amazed that Kid never has.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

TeeQueue posted:

Honestly, amazed that Kid never has.

As an Australian she would never use such a mild swear.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well, uh, ninegearcrow just got banned and seems to have privated their entire youtube channel in response.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 3, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Well, uh, ninegearcrow just got banned and seems to have privated their entire youtube channel in response.

I wish that people would at least get banned in funny ways, that was just a sad and somewhat gross way.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Don’t go to cspam, it rots your brain out in an unfun way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So is this too late for Meltdown March or too early for Meltdown May? I can never keep these straight...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Augh, April

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's not even like it was a perma or a 100k, dude torched his online presence over a two-week timeout. 2016 really did break him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Just when I feel like Something Awful doesn't deserve its moniker anymore someone sees fit to remind me why I stay primarily in LP and Games :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Your Uncle Dracula posted: