Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Goatson posted:

Obligatory "I hate Godwyn/Hoarah Loux" post because drat no matter how many times I beat this game, somehow facing that boss is like pounding sand and losing. I have had easier time against Malenia. If the word hate was engraved on each blood puddle of death I've experienced playing all souls-titles, it would not equal one billionth of hate I feel for Godfrey! Hate, hate!!

Actually Godfrey is the best boss fight in the whole game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1775138687531036676

holy sh*t

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Taernisht, bear whitniss

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

That reads like the base game's description.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

THE LOATHSOME SH*T EATER

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Real k***ht sh*t

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jesse Ventura posted:

Man Margit to Godfrey is such a loving great back to back boss run. Two amazing boss fights, 2 phases, great arena to fight and really cool movesets especially Godfrey. The hitbox and animation on their attacks are so clean, you could put them in Sekiro.

I am really shocked how Fromsoft keep creating such unique and amazing boss fights in such quantity. Like Dark Souls 3 is not my favorite game in the series but that game just has nonstop amazing boss fights especially if you include the DLC which is some of Fromsoft's best work. Even somehow in AC6 they had amazing boss fights which wasn't really a big part of the series previously.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 2, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I guess it'd make sense if the Dung Eater was a... potty-mouth! :haw:

But really only Patches and Boggart say it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Godfrey is the coolest boss but for best boss just on pure gameplay I'd probably actually go with Morgott. He's the closest the game gets to a pure DS3 throwback. Honorable mention to Radagon (ruins it by being phase 1 of Elden Beast), Mohg (part gimmick), and Maliketh (too aggressive and too fragile, beating him is never easy, but still somehow feels anti-climactic once you do).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would love Morgott with 50% more health, as you say it's a really good DS3 style fight but he just goes down too quickly for you to have really internalise the fight. When I get round to Elden Ring Reforged one day I'm really hoping the mod author gives him some juice

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Jesse Ventura posted:

Sure. You could sell me this argument any day, no problem. I still hate him with deep passion. Some grudges are personal

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I would love Morgott with 50% more health, as you say it's a really good DS3 style fight but he just goes down too quickly for you to have really internalise the fight. When I get round to Elden Ring Reforged one day I'm really hoping the mod author gives him some juice

try him on ng+7

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

I literally thought they were talking about a DS1 style ring item until I started typing this comment lol.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
There's a thread title somewhere in that ESRB notice, but I'm having trouble fully extracting it. I love the warning about the word sh*t, though. "The first major dungeon in the game is all themed around a guy chopping people up to make human kit-bashes, but also, someone says poo poo."

edit: I guess "Marika's tits" isn't rude enough to get a callout, huh?

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 2, 2024

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

About to do a 2nd playthrough and wondering what sort of build i should do to mix things up. Last time I played about 50 hours. Felt like I played so much of the game but whenever I talk to people about the game i quickly realize there's so much I haven't seen.

I was doing dex and int last time, and got very into using magical swords to do projectile attacks. So the only idea that turns me off is having heavy/slow attacks just because I am an action game player with a tendency to mash buttons, I get impatient enough waiting for openings so missing them would probably be pretty frustrating to me.

Also, if there's an interesting way around the map to mix things up I would be down to give it a try. Last time I thoroughly explored Limgrave before finally tackling Stormveil Castle. I did the same kind of thing to Liurnia region (but leaving more of it unexplored due to difficulty) and then started going underground.

I might just end up doing what doing what I did last time again but any ideas to mix it up and see a new side of game would be cool.

I was once like you, and thought I wouldn't like doing big bonks. Then, one desperate night, I succumbed and tried it out. Now the thought of going back to some plinky dex build fills me with dread. Big bonks saved me. For me, the gateway drug was the Greataxe you get almost 15 mins into the game from the coffin caravan in Limgrave. Slap Stormcaller AoW on it and now you've got a weapon that can quickly deal with light swarms, but also take down most big boys with a charged heavy. Then you'll get bored of that and move on to Brick Hammer with Lion's Claw. If you're not neglecting endurance so you can wear high pose armor, you'll be able to tank through most enemy hits and break their poise in 1-2 heavy attacks. Or, if you get bored of that, go Roar Medallion and slap War Cry or Barbaric Roar or Braggart's Roar on your heavies. The special R2s you get are almost uninterruptible. If you're moderately levelling Faith, you'll have access to buffs that will make you even tankier.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

gently caress yeah BOOBS CONFIRMED

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Morality_Police posted:

There's a thread title somewhere in that ESRB notice, but I'm having trouble fully extracting it. I love the warning about the word sh*t, though. "The first major dungeon in the game is all themed around a guy chopping people up to make human kit-bashes, but also, someone says poo poo."

edit: I guess "Marika's tits" isn't rude enough to get a callout, huh?

That's the rating for the dlc, not the base game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Marika’s sh*t, you must be h****y!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's the rating for the dlc, not the base game.

Maybe it was supposed to be but that's clear references to Godrick and Malenia, unless we're going to see another boss get naked with their boobs and crotch covered in scar tissue

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goatson posted:

You ought to drink it before the chanting starts, not during. Could be a difference between "why did I take damage and now the boss is at 3/4 health??" vs. "why tf am I dead???"

The effect doesn't have any duration (-1 seconds in the game files), so you can chug it at any point in the fight and be protected.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

No Dignity posted:

Maybe it was supposed to be but that's clear references to Godrick and Malenia, unless we're going to see another boss get naked with their boobs and crotch covered in scar tissue

You can never have too many naked bosses covered in scar tissue.

- Hidetaka Miyazaki, probably

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pretty sure that's just ChatGPT nonsense

Here's what it wrote for me:

Elden Ring is an action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world filled with intense violence, blood, and disturbing imagery. Players engage in combat with various fantastical creatures and enemies using a variety of weapons and magical abilities. The game features realistic depictions of violence, including dismemberment and decapitation, as well as scenes of gore and blood splatter. Additionally, themes of death, decay, and despair are prevalent throughout the game, contributing to its mature rating. Players should be aware of the game's challenging and sometimes unforgiving difficulty, which may not be suitable for younger or sensitive players. Overall, Elden Ring earns its M (Mature) rating for its graphic violence, dark themes, and intense gameplay experience.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Pretty sure that's just ChatGPT nonsense

Yeah or, get this, ChatGPT is trained on publicly available information and thus when you ask it for a description of a video game it makes it in the same style as other ESRB descriptions.

Just read pre-ChatGPT ESRB descriptions and you can see they tend to have a certain style.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/31419/dark-souls/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33288/dark-souls-ii/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33866/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/34364/dark-souls-iii/

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

goblin week posted:

gently caress yeah BOOBS CONFIRMED

Precious chest ahead...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Yeah or, get this, ChatGPT is trained on publicly available information and thus when you ask it for a description of a video game it makes it in the same style as other ESRB descriptions.

Just read pre-ChatGPT ESRB descriptions and you can see they tend to have a certain style.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/31419/dark-souls/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33288/dark-souls-ii/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33866/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/34364/dark-souls-iii/

I specifically asked it for an ESRB-style description in that example. What I mean here is that "players assume the role of a character trying to retrieve a magical ring" doesn't sound like it was written by someone who actually played the game, but it's what I would expect an LLM to say about the game if it was aping ESRB style.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I specifically asked it for an ESRB-style description in that example. What I mean here is that "players assume the role of a character trying to retrieve a magical ring" doesn't sound like it was written by someone who actually played the game, but it's what I would expect an LLM to say about the game if it was aping ESRB style.

ERSB doesn't actually play the games lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sonic the tarnished.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

getting really good at parrying malenia, which makes me feel like i'm really good at the game. then she waterfowl dances me from up close, which instantly reminds me i'm actually not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Throwing a freeze pot at her when she winds up will interrupt her waterfowl

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it will miss if you're too close.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

I was once like you, and thought I wouldn't like doing big bonks. Then, one desperate night, I succumbed and tried it out. Now the thought of going back to some plinky dex build fills me with dread. Big bonks saved me. For me, the gateway drug was the Greataxe you get almost 15 mins into the game from the coffin caravan in Limgrave. Slap Stormcaller AoW on it and now you've got a weapon that can quickly deal with light swarms, but also take down most big boys with a charged heavy. Then you'll get bored of that and move on to Brick Hammer with Lion's Claw. If you're not neglecting endurance so you can wear high pose armor, you'll be able to tank through most enemy hits and break their poise in 1-2 heavy attacks. Or, if you get bored of that, go Roar Medallion and slap War Cry or Barbaric Roar or Braggart's Roar on your heavies. The special R2s you get are almost uninterruptible. If you're moderately levelling Faith, you'll have access to buffs that will make you even tankier.

I'll follow your advice. I'm ready to become a big boy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do you guys remember what time of day elden ring unlocked.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

IIRC at midnight on console, 9PM the previous day on PC?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this is the wrong kind of ring . . . it's covered in sh*t

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

IIRC at midnight on console, 9PM the previous day on PC?

That would be good. I took off that Friday and it would be dope to play all day.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

SHISHKABOB posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not many people know this but The Loathsome Dungeaters butthole crimes were inspired by Kirk "Goatse" Johnson's anal escapades and the hypothetical situation in which he plied his trade on anuses other than his own.

The concept of the Elden Ring was an afterthought and only added late in development after George Martin had already written three hundred pages about The Dungeaters sphincter-curse when Miyazaki asked "Hey wait G if this is like like Goatseesque then like where is the ring, man?" And then they came up with the title Elden Ring as a nod to the inspiration.

The rest of the lore was all made up by intern Ken Hayakawa during an all-nighter the day before the deadline.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not many people know this but The Loathsome Dungeaters butthole crimes were inspired by Kirk "Goatse" Johnson's anal escapades and the hypothetical situation in which he plied his trade on anuses other than his own.

The concept of the Elden Ring was an afterthought and only added late in development after George Martin had already written three hundred pages about The Dungeaters sphincter-curse when Miyazaki asked "Hey wait G if this is like like Goatseesque then like where is the ring, man?" And then they came up with the title Elden Ring as a nod to the inspiration.

The rest of the lore was all made up by intern Ken Hayakawa during an all-nighter the day before the deadline.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

is the Elden Ring not a magical ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also the description is almost identical to what they gave for the base game
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/38263/elden-ring/
https://www.esrb.org/ratings/39821/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree/