Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

I feel like The Deer Hunter should be somewhere on there simply out of principle.

Deer Hunter should be saved for the 21st birthday, paired with a 12 pack of ice cold refreshing Rolling Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

therattle posted:

Hello stranger!

Someone mentioned Saint Omer. Incredible film. Not in the same league, and I know people here poo poo on Sorkin, but I enjoyed The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Paddington 2 has a courtroom scene but I think it’s a stretch to call it a courtroom drama.

My Cousin Vinny!

Not court per se, but court-adjacent: Intolerable Cruelty

I decided to go with another Sorkin, pretty much THE courtroom drama, A Few Good Men.

Hot Take: This is a good movie. One of those like Shawshank that was on TV so often and referenced so much that you feel like you've seen the whole thing when you for-sure haven't.

Saint Omer looks incredible though. Glad to get the rec.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also are we overdue for a Demi Moore comeback?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargo posted:

Also are we overdue for a Demi Moore comeback?

Absolutely.

Oh, for court room films I feel bad I didn't mention Legally Blonde.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel bad no one mentioned My Cousin Vinny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was going too. But then I forgot.

Also I liked the vin diseal one, find me guilty

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit! I am so tired of seeing a movie has Devon Sawa in it and being like, “oh cool I like Devon Sawa” only to realize too late I was thinking of Devon Aoki.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Technically Miracle on 34th St is a courtroom movie.

Noticed in the credits for A Few Good Men that Frank Capra III was Assistant Director which is wild considering how much of a Capra/Jimmy Stewart schmaltzy-vibe Sorkin and Reiner are going for, especially towards the end with lines like "You don't need a patch on your arm to have honor."

Sorkin's script is probably the weakest part of this movie but wow does the star power sell it. Feels like Cruise and Kevin Bacon should have made a dozen movies together, they're so gfood at smugly playing off one another.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Carpet posted:

Sticking with the French courts, Saint Omer?

Sticking with (sort of) the French courts, Paths of Glory is technically, partially a courtroom film.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Serial Mom's third act is a courtroom drama farce and it is spectacular

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Sticking with (sort of) the French courts, Paths of Glory is technically, partially a courtroom film.

Great movie too. Of course the best court room drama is Devil's Advocate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit! I am so tired of seeing a movie has Devon Sawa in it and being like, “oh cool I like Devon Sawa” only to realize too late I was thinking of Devon Aoki.

How Tf you mix these people up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also she’s only notable in sin city. Has she done anything of note since then? Why would you be excited for her over the powerhouse and iconic Devon Sawa.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Devon Aoki's dad founded Benihana.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
goon name blindness

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is she related to Steve Aoki of DJ fame?

Edit: whoa he is, half sister

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

The skateboard move?!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I did!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Absolutely nobody mention My Cousin Vinny, shame on you all!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Absolutely nobody mention My Cousin Vinny, shame on you all!

I’ll get you for this. I don’t know when, and I don’t know how, but when you least suspect it I’ll be there, waiting for my moment. You’ll rue the day!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuwQLeiwMM

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Non-sequitur but is Porky's cancelled? Like I presume they didn't show the uncut version on television from 2000 onward if they ever did. But do they show it at all? Ddo streaming services still carry it? And if so is it the uncut version?

I feel like it could actually be useful viewing for kids these days to see what was considered appropriate/all in good fun both on the level of actions of the characters and on the level of writing & directing a movie like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched a two-part TV movie biopic on Henry Ford from the 80s on Tubi. They cribbed heavily from Citizen Kane, except he dies at the end instead of the beginning.

Michael Ironside was in it and he is always the best thing in anything. Though I laughed pretty hard when he shows up as a young sailor but it's obviously a 40 year old Michael Ironside.

A few days ago I watched Tenebre with some friends and it took me most of the film to place where I know John Saxon primarily from. They were like "you know him from Nightmare on Elm Street" but I figured out I know him mostly from The Rockford Files.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

therattle posted:

My Cousin Vinny!

:cmon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

A few days ago I watched Tenebre with some friends and it took me most of the film to place where I know John Saxon primarily from. They were like "you know him from Nightmare on Elm Street" but I figured out I know him mostly from The Rockford Files.

He's also in Black Christmas

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Detective No. 27 posted:

Enter the Dragon!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Enter the Dragon!

He's awesome in Enter the Dragon, I think he was an influence on Johnny Cage, too.

Also he's a villain in one of the Beverly Hills Cop movies, II I think

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:tipshat:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Only Cage I like is Luke. And only because of the first part of the second season, with Bushmaster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bright Bart posted:

Only Cage I like is Luke. And only because of the first part of the second season, with Bushmaster.

This is galling Nicolas erasure.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Isn't he named after Luke?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bright Bart posted:

Isn't he named after Luke?

Yeah, that's what he took his stage name from.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What would your stage name be?
Dibs on Jay Coppola

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can i just say, the man on the citizen kane poster looks nothing like orson welles

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jay Rust posted:

Dibs on Jay Coppola

OR$ON WELLE$

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jay Rust posted:

Dibs on Jay Coppola

Maurice Mickelwhite

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Obviously, it's Chile Ghreene.

A) Doesn't roll off the tongue. At all.
B) You have to use the full name or people may confuse you referring to the country or the colour.
C) Nobody knows how to spell the surname. I might forget myself.
D) Google and YT may still bring up Chilean tourism websites and news on energy grids. People trying to find my videos and interviews may be out of luck. Including casting directors.

This way, if I do become successful, I can be sure it's due to by merits as a performer. It really is the easiest way to avoid staying awake wondering if my catchy and easily looked up name did the work for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jay Rust posted:

Can i just say, the man on the citizen kane poster looks nothing like orson welles

Yes he does lol

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
orson welles wearing james quall makeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's Terrific!