Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jack Trades posted:

There should be a Thumbs Down rating for pawns.
There is, it's called "throwing them in the ocean."

And Warfarer's best trait isn't carrying around a bunch of different weapons, it's being able to wear whatever you want :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TeaJay posted:

Is this how you reach the path that has a locked door and eventually goes to the tower? I racked my brain a lot trying to figure out how to reach that place. If it is, I'm gonna need some better coordinates

if you follow the east path into the battleground, there should be an NPC wandering around. he's gonna ask you to take him up to the building so he can ring a bell, he'll lead you exactly where you need to go.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Is this how you reach the path that has a locked door and eventually goes to the tower? I racked my brain a lot trying to figure out how to reach that place. If it is, I'm gonna need some better coordinates

i think you get to there from the back entrance, as far as i recall only one treb unlocks content not reachable otherwise and it's the one that knocks open the small room in ancient battleground with a chest. (i think its a wakestone?). they're kinda just 'shortcut' generators similar to kickdown ladders

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TeaJay posted:

To open that door I had to go the back way through the caves behind the keep above the ancient battleground. You could also get there by gong through the marsh. One of the working trebuchets is on a rise just above that door, though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
A lot of y'all never talked to Oskar and it shows

also in my game after doing his quest he ended up dead? I'm pretty convinced he was a ghost the whole time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Magil Zeal posted:

I like the Trickster, except for the part where if I even get slightly tapped my illusion goes away, and then all the enemy aggro refocuses on me. Skill issue maybe, but it can be frustrating. Plus while it's a fun gimmick some of the other classes can just do such insane stuff it seems overshadowed.

the trick is to put the floor under the ghost

most enemies when they touch the floor fall over

or use a wall and make things path funny

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I found the two working trebuchets at the ancient battleground. One opened up a small room with minimal treasure, and the other opened up a mountain path (which you can reach anyway with some careful climbing). I've heard there's a third one out there somewhere though.

Kind of a shame that they're pre aimed, I wonder how much damage a drake would take if you were to hit one.
The 3 trebs

1 is on the wall in the ancient battle ground and it shoots west past the dragon to knock open a small room

1 is in the eastern part of the ancient battle ground that you will have to go inside the fort and then run east past a cyclops. It fires south east at a mountain pass.

1 is south of that mountain pass at a ruined tower. It fires across the way to open a space that shows a chest.

Also the ruined tower has a special mob at night

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 2, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Muffinlord posted:

also in my game after doing his quest he ended up dead? I'm pretty convinced he was a ghost the whole time

Hes been chilling at the checkpoint rest town in my game so your guy might have just had a bad run in with the local drake

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

CharlestonJew posted:

Hes been chilling at the checkpoint rest town in my game so your guy might have just had a bad run in with the local drake

That's definitely what happened. Didn't stand a chance. though it's weird that the bell also disappears once his quest is done. you'd think it would just be part of the world geometry

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

Oskar doesn't do poo poo with that door, though thorough explorers will find the path after following him into the keep. It's kind of a trek from where he leaves you.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Wait, is there another door back there? One's just a standard "you did the dungeon" loop and one has some chests. Where the hell's this mysterious third door?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

There is, it's called "throwing them in the ocean."

The problem is that their owner doesn't get the message in that case.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

like the weirdest thing about those trebs is you just plant a rock and it auto fires

and as far as I can tell it is only this location

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

Wait, is there another door back there? One's just a standard "you did the dungeon" loop and one has some chests. Where the hell's this mysterious third door?

There's a barred door on the road to the battleground, near where you find Oskar. He leads you into the keep and gives you a key to a door inside the keep but doesn't help you with that door where he started out at. For that one you have to go the long way through the keep, or the marshes, and come at it from the north.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Huh. I'll have to check that out. The Sphinx is up there, but I'm guessing that's not the path you're talking about.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So when you follow oskar, you can turn to go to the cave which has a cyclops in the way or stay on the wall which has a cyclops in the way

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

Huh. I'll have to check that out. The Sphinx is up there, but I'm guessing that's not the path you're talking about.

Actually that's about halfway! You can scramble across the mountain crags just east of there and go south to get into the road that leads to the door.

And yeah I think you could just stay on the wall and go east, bypassing the cave. But don't skip the cave, it's kind of a big deal.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
This game consistently crashing if I breathe on the Vocation guild menu too hard is interesting to say the least.

Any tips for a newcomer to the series?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I tripped a cyclops that wasn’t wearing a helmet. It was close to full health at the time, it hit its head on a rock when it fell and instantly died.

Make sure you wear your helmets kids

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm constantly surprised at the amount of lines pawns have.
My pawn just commented on how she used to be a Fighter but now she's a Warrior and much stronger.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

parara posted:

This game consistently crashing if I breathe on the Vocation guild menu too hard is interesting to say the least.

Fighter is good, fighter is rad, don't play fighter your first go-round. Salubrious draughts don't go bad and you make them by mixing greenwarish+fruit.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

parara posted:

Don't be afraid to switch vocations every now and then. It doesn't cost much in points, which you'll be swimming in eventually. Getting some of the augments from other vocations can be helpful, and it's fun to try new things!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Sloober posted:

i dunno, 3 is one of the most ignorable systems in the game, there's very little involvement you really have to do on it. either they need to expand it or do what i would prefer is just scrap it b/c its so meaningless. dragon can kidnap whoever he wants and i dont even think the dragon has to kidnap anyone tbh. i'm generally pretty 'why bother' with those systems since i dont really get *that* into game worlds though.

I'm not talking about who the dragon kidnaps.

I'm talking about Ulrika.

At the end of the quest "Home Is Where the Hearth Is" Ulrika kisses you and it's implied that you sleep together.

Now some of you might wonder why that's a big deal.

But we all know that no game developer would ever, ever do that with a male NPC without giving the player the choice to back out.

So why not include that option with Ulrika?

I think the same thing happens with Aelinore in the first game.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Shyrka posted:

If you don't remember you pretty much have to just look up a map of where they all are and check the likely ones in the starting area.

Well that's rough because I know the first seeker token I got was way past the starting area.

Guess I'll start over when the time comes!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The beautiful thing about the seeker token riddle is you'll probably find it in like 5 minutes if you go back to Melve, and if you don't it doesn't matter at all - you can just ignore it and fail!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's a very funny quest that's a deliberate gotcha on your first run but, at least the finders token is forgeable, and presumably you could get someone to gift it to you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magick Archer is very annoying to play. Why the gently caress is there a 2 second pause between aiming and being able to use a spell? I don't remember it working like that in the first game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dreffen posted:

I ended up killing the sphinx for my first playthrough but for the riddle of rumination: how are you supposed to keep track of where you got your first seeker token to complete all the riddles for the trophy? Would I just need to start over completely and make a note of where I picked up the first token?

Shyrka posted:

If you don't remember you pretty much have to just look up a map of where they all are and check the likely ones in the starting area.

PC only, but there’s already a mod that marks your first one.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ither posted:

At the end of the quest "Home Is Where the Hearth Is" Ulrika kisses you and it's implied that you sleep together.

But we all know that no game developer would ever, ever do that with a male NPC without giving the player the choice to back out.

I agree, but somehow I don't think Capcom is quite caught up on that aspect of RPGs yet. I did find it pretty amusing how thirsty Ulrika was for my Arisen, a muscular lady about two and a half heads taller than the dainty little archer. Someone wants to put that Avidity augment to good use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/sunhilegend/status/1775211459582017991?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone actually seen a monster kill another monster?

Because I'm watching this pack of goblins just hang around next to a drake, just waiting to gently caress me.

EDIT: Of course, they waited until the last possible moment to gently caress me.
Still killed the drake though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 2, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, having been all over the map in the unmoored world I can safely say that there is absolutely nothing new of note unless you enjoy hunting chests with slightly better gear for its own sake.

Edit: The fog seems to be gone in the Misty Marshes though, so that's neat

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Because I'm watching this pack of goblins just hang around next to a drake, just waiting to gently caress me.

EDIT: Of course, they waited until the last possible moment to gently caress me.

yes

in the ancient battle ground a dragon kills a cyclops

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

This is so funny in hindsight but I stayed at the gate inn a bunch of times before I realized this. It's probably an Eastern dev mindset but it does feel like Eastern developers hate the player sometimes because very little thought is given to QoL. Like the ferrystone system feels just spiteful both by the cost of buying them, the extreme rarity of them dropping and the way quests in the world are structured. There's a quest that takes you from the Arbor to Bakbattahl, back to the Arbor, back to Bakbattahl and then back to the Arbor for your (poor) reward and it's such a loving chore to do it.

You end with a pretty high number of Ferrystones, though (and IIRC the elf quests give a portcrystal they probably intend for you to use at the Arbor).

Off the top of my head, the list of "out of the way key quest-related locations that can't be easily accessed by oxcart/portcrystal" is just Battahl, the Arbor, and maybe the Sphinx shrine, and maybe the volcanic island town. I say "maybe" for the last two since the former isn't too bad of a walk from the checkpoint town and the latter from Battahl, plus there isn't much stuff at either).

Jack Trades posted:

I saw a Gryphon kill an Ogre once.

I think that might have been the only time. Gryphon is probably a rare exception since it's a large enemy type that actually flies around.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And slimes will kill the poo poo out of anything around them if you stay out of aggro range.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

You end with a pretty high number of Ferrystones, though

Not if I use them! I'm constantly out of ferry stones because I want to go places. The postgame drops them from most enemies but I'm still in my normal NG+.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, having been all over the map in the unmoored world I can safely say that there is absolutely nothing new of note unless you enjoy hunting chests with slightly better gear for its own sake.

Edit: The fog seems to be gone in the Misty Marshes though, so that's neat

You only stay there to farm the end game gear

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Third World Reagan posted:

yes

in the ancient battle ground a dragon kills a cyclops

That one might be scripted.

But next time I get two big monsters on me at once I'm gonna trickster up one of them and watch them duke it out. I wonder how much damage a golem could do to a griffon with that overhead smash.

I wonder if bandits are smart enough to shoot at golem medals...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Third World Reagan posted:

You only stay there to farm the end game gear

Sure, but why?

Also, a lot of these hats look like rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ither posted:

Yeah, I'm a straight woman who was just following a bunch of sidequests and Ulrika kissed me and jumped my bones without so much as a consent check. I don't actually care, but I think it's silly that 1) there's no male romance option (but multiple female ones) and 2) you just know that no dev has the balls to have a forced guy-kissing scene because the internet would blow up. And if it's not ok to do that with guy romances then maybe don't do that with woman romances either.