Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Squidster posted:

I just got the colours in for this story, and I'm super excited about how it's coming together! I hope to be able to share it later in the month.

"How to Find the Apple Jelly Empress" from Natasha Ramoutar and Helena Ramos Giménez

I think Helena's gonna be a big name someday.

This is looking rad, good work on the coloring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Man Axel's a real rear end in a top hat here. Visiting untold horrors upon hundreds or thousands of people just to get his loving rocks off.

The guy that wanted him dead was probably right.

In fairness, he didn't exactly intend for that to happen.

In unfairness, he doesn't exactly seem broken up about it. Him and his bloody obsession.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

Probably the first vagabond of limbo fanart in forty years and possibly the first VoL/Dr.W mashup ever

you son of a bitch your art just keeps getting better every time you post

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

They make enough from their comics and prints to make a living, and from their commentaries it seems like they are either working on their art or going on hikes at basically every waking moment. The power of two folks just feeding each other's creativity at all times

Wow. That's the dream. I feel better knowing there is this weird pair of hike-artist-buddies out there somewhere, doing their thing.

fritz posted:

Beanstalk

Thankyou for the increasingly vast ladies comic.

Emzedoh posted:

Slowly bursted?

Aaaaaaa I didn't like reading this post.

Squidster posted:

I just got the colours in for this story, and I'm super excited about how it's coming together! I hope to be able to share it later in the month.

"How to Find the Apple Jelly Empress" from Natasha Ramoutar and Helena Ramos Giménez

I think Helena's gonna be a big name someday.

Looks rad! Strong Stand Still Stay Silent vibes. Only with less body horror (for now!!(??))

Mx. posted:

you son of a bitch your art just keeps getting better every time you post

Hey thanks. Eventually there will be a Posting Singularity where the thread has an image of Heathcliffe the cat in the style of kate beaton's Heathcliffe the brooding loner and vice versa that causes men to weep in despair.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the delays, imgur has been absolutely making GBS threads the bed the last couple times I went to upload.

Lavender Jack

Having obviously died in the fall Jack is reunited in the afterlife with Gio and Agatha (who apparently died offscreen between seasons), but first he must be confronted by his greatest sin.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: Last Stop
Beank and Rosa is a weird little comic I'm fond of. Sometime it's silly, sometime it's maudlin, but it is never direct. Truth is to observed fleetingly in your peripheral vision, or maybe only in the rear view mirror.

Beank and Rosa are children. They live in an abandoned RV in a junkyard.

Dieting Hippo posted:

This is looking rad, good work on the coloring!

Tree Bucket posted:

Looks rad! Strong Stand Still Stay Silent vibes. Only with less body horror (for now!!(??))
Thanks y'all! I had to step out of comics after the pandemic, and I've only just built up the funding to start again. I put a lot of money into a book that was intended to launch at TCAF 2019, and when every con and retailer closed the fallout cost +- $15k CAD. Bad years!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Learning about Death

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Squidster posted:

Thanks y'all! I had to step out of comics after the pandemic, and I've only just built up the funding to start again. I put a lot of money into a book that was intended to launch at TCAF 2019, and when every con and retailer closed the fallout cost +- $15k CAD. Bad years!

drat, that sucks. Glad you're getting back into it!

Different Country Diary

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Apr 2, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ah, the judging eyes of children.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 68: Edo Frontier

Sasuke is an extremely talented liar.

Something I noticed: the eastern samurai are wearing different styles of armour than the central guys under Hideyoshi. Beardy here isn't sporting the same kind of sleeveless coat Sasuke and most of the others wear, for example. I suspect they're wearing an older style of armour.

Ugh, I forgot to update the chapter title again. Fixed now.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 35: The Forest, the Hunt and the Experience Points

Conservation, Medieval-style.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Apr 2, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Velvet Gewgaw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Ah, the judging eyes of children.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 68: Edo Frontier

Sasuke is an extremely talented liar.

Well yeah he's an art dealer

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Ask, and ye shall receive! Unfortunately after being exposed to unsafe levels of Angel Catbird I had to retire to a month's bedrest but now I'm back and ready to post!!

Now if you'll recall, Val was in the middle of rescuing Aleta from the clutches of Donardo, which she had... already snuck out of... but just went back to for some reason? Yeah I don't know either.

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Dec 9, 1945)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

They're so polite! That's wicked chivalrous, bro.

SimonChris posted:

Velvet Gewgaw

I liked this one best.

Bro Dad posted:

Well yeah he's an art dealer

Sasuke's character suddenly comes into focus.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Beanstalk

(spoiled for giant lady titties, insert your own 'galaxy' pun here)

Next time: something that a post on the last page reminded me of!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there's a thing I want to write about the philosophy of rainbow in the dark that bugs me that I see in a few pieces of media here and there, but it's the sort of thing I'm not going to be able to get out in under five paragraphs and I've got poo poo I've gotta do today

so in penance I'll post a couple comics. here's some from illustrator ezra butt, whose occasional comic strip crawdads welcome (https://crawdadswelcome.tumblr.com/) is mostly an excuse to do extremely-detailed drawings of flora and fauna and to do hand-lettering where he details events from his youth or the strange lives of creatures in forests or just some random poo poo

but it's one of my favorites:

eugene, lenny, and the other jungle animals become probably the most common characters to reappear, along with the owls (who haven't shown up by this point)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the owls are great

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Owl at Home posted:

It's an April Miracle!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger - New characters, new shipping options!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Tree Bucket posted:

Wow. That's the dream. I feel better knowing there is this weird pair of hike-artist-buddies out there somewhere, doing their thing.

They're married, so that probably also helps.

hexwren posted:

there's a thing I want to write about the philosophy of rainbow in the dark that bugs me that I see in a few pieces of media here and there, but it's the sort of thing I'm not going to be able to get out in under five paragraphs and I've got poo poo I've gotta do today

I hope that you have time to write it at some point because I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Rainbow In The Dark

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Squidster posted:

Can you tell us more about this book (or are you keeping forums you and real life you separate)

hexwren posted:

Oohh, discussion! Looking forward to it. But yeah that weird animal comic is beautiful to look at. Come to think of it, it's surprising how few comics treat fonts in anything but the most barebones fashion

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Tree Bucket posted:

Can you tell us more about this book (or are you keeping forums you and real life you separate)
This was the Wayward Kindred anthology, which I'm v. proud of honestly!

This is The God of Roadside Memorials, from that book, by Tate Brombal and V. Gagnon.

I'm slowly rebuilding our site with an built-in comics reader, so someday folks will be able to read the stories for free.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Love the colours in that!

Crawdads Welcome is real good and the only reason I haven't read all of it is that tumblr is real crap at comic archives.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've just been kinda skipping over Rainbow in the dark because the few times ive looked its gratuitous ogling or gore, and the overall superhero comic aesthetic isnt for me.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Squidster posted:

This is The God of Roadside Memorials, from that book, by Tate Brombal and V. Gagnon.

this was very cool but terrifying and sad

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 40: A Song of Celebration

Read more manga.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

Read more manga.
Well if you insist

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

"What are you going to do with that painting, possess me?" - quote from man possessed by painting

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh wow, guy really went off like a firecracker clusterbomb huh.

Kit Walker posted:

Well if you insist

Yes excellent.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Emzedoh posted:

Read more manga.

Ok I get the JoJos biza sorry I mean Joeys special experience, and Shigurui reference but what is the first one they do there?

Edit: dammit, is it Freeza?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

poo poo you're right, it's Frieza in his hoverchair and his goons with the Namekian plus-size dragon balls!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Couldn't find the exact jojo poses sadly

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao at miyamoto on the speaker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Emzedoh posted:

Read more manga.

I'm glad they all live in a horrible underground prison

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

Couldn't find the exact jojo poses sadly

The thread thanks you for your service.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces

#475: Value Of Life - Fighting Of The Street

#477: Value Of Life - I Am Error

#478: Value Of Life - Mega Man VS Landscape

This, of course, references the fact that Dr. Light teaches you the hadouken and shoryuken in a couple megaman x easter eggs

MS Paint Masterpieces

#479: Value Of Life - Back To The Past

#480: Value Of Life - Misunderestimation

#482: Value Of Life - Hello

watch out! He's invincible

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Emzedoh posted:

Read more manga.

NEVER

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'm glad they all live in a horrible underground prison

Yeah, it's probably best to mistly seclude th from society. They seem to enjoy it anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've just been kinda skipping over Rainbow in the dark because the few times ive looked its gratuitous ogling or gore, and the overall superhero comic aesthetic isnt for me.

I've been reading it, but it definitely does have a weird vibe to it. I haven't really been able to keep track of any characters besides the protagonist and her girlfriend because everyone else seems set up entirely to be killed off for cheap pathos in the next action scene or two.
More than that though is the theme of what the comic is about. I was reading it at first as a metaphor for queerness, and it kinda worked for the most part - living your truth despite polite society responding to you with ignorance or violence, losing companions along the way but being worth it to be able to save all the people out there who don't even know it's an option. That sort of thing. Admittedly propped up by the only characters I was paying attention to being gay.
With this second chapter expanding more on what they're fighting for, though, it's getting a lot harder to read that way. The hippie commune is just a metaphor for living in a hippie commune. What people are being saved from is literally the drudgery of a 9-to-5 job and the blandness of white picket fences. There's no actual political theory here about exploitation or oppression, just a middle-class fantasy about getting to dedicate your life toward being really good at guitar while you still get all your creature comforts provided by literal magic if you just stop believing in income taxes and homeowner assocations.

Maybe I'm being too ungenerous, there's clearly some genuine feelings about freedom and creativity in here. It just feels a bit banal, like that one Zen Pencils comic way back about the true creatives combining their powers to save the world from the haters.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Definitely agreed on the killing people off for cheap pathos bit.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Owl at Home posted:

Ask, and ye shall receive! Unfortunately after being exposed to unsafe levels of Angel Catbird I had to retire to a month's bedrest but now I'm back and ready to post!!

Now if you'll recall, Val was in the middle of rescuing Aleta from the clutches of Donardo, which she had... already snuck out of... but just went back to for some reason? Yeah I don't know either.

Woohoo! Been looking forward to Val’s return :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

hexwren posted:

Tenebrais posted:

Maybe I'm being too ungenerous, there's clearly some genuine feelings about freedom and creativity in here. It just feels a bit banal, like that one Zen Pencils comic way back about the true creatives combining their powers to save the world from the haters.

I third this opinion, and I'm looking forward to hear what Hexwren has to say about it. Definitely feels a little hollow that in the world of RitD, acts of self-expression are purely conveyed through magical consumerism. How will we know you're a COOL REBEL and not a LAME-O CONFORMIST if you don't have PRODUCT like PUNK CLOTHES, MUSCLE CAR, and MAINSTREAM MUSIC REFERENCE?? Maybe I'm just a born hater but it sticks in my craw.