Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What about posting the bond for him and just... not collecting from him when the appeal fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

This is a compelling etymology but it's probably also not true, as pre-Christ Talmudic scholars also did the "as impossible as [big animal] passing through the eye of the needle", often an elephant or camel.

Do we know that those translations aren't tainted by the same Greek problem? Or is there Hebrew text that translates this way?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the ones referencing elephants surely aren't.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Well the ones referencing elephants surely aren't.

Fascinating!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

DarkHorse posted:

What about posting the bond for him and just... not collecting from him when the appeal fails?

Hey, it works for Thomas.

Also gives Trump a break - that's 175 million less he has to pay as the penalty if the appeal fails.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So now we've been denied a Thursday laugh riot, having been denied last Monday's laugh riot.

But, my face says it can handle a few more direct hits of the rake: do we have any indication of the timeline of the appeal? Weeks? Months? One week after election day?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

well, presumably Trump will then owe federal income tax in the ballpark of $65 million, as forgiveness of debt is considered taxable income. which will be the least of his problems if he loses the election, and which won't matter at all if he wins the election because then the IRS will never bother him again for the rest of his life.

and I'm no expert on campaign finance laws, but even if it were a violation, it seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't result in any legal action until long after the fact, so... it would be the least of his problems if he loses the election, and it won't matter at all if he wins

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Is trump's new gag order the kind that is supposed to prohibit him from attacking the judge in the case or

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Staluigi posted:

Is trump's new gag order the kind that is supposed to prohibit him from attacking the judge in the case or

No, the judge is a public figure. It protects the judge’s family, though.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

this morning's trump post whining about the revised gag order, which prevents him from talking about the judge's daughter

not mentioned in the post: the judge's daughter

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

DarkHorse posted:

Gyrotica posted:

Also gives Trump a break - that's 175 million less he has to pay as the penalty if the appeal fails.

Even if Knight writes off the loss, New York gets some damages paid and another $175M that surely would have found its way to Trump’s campaign gets diverted to his legal problems.

I’m having trouble getting worked up about the injustice of this one.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, so jury tampering is a crime but you can judge tamper all you want? That seems....wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Some background on that

Could posting bond for Trump when nobody else would count as campaign contribution? Having his poo poo seized would certainly mess with the campaign and image as s big successful business guy.

Nope. Trump's legal defenses are personal expenses, not campaign expenses. And since he'd have these expenses regardless of whether or not he was running in 2024, that means it's not considered a campaign contribution to pay for them.

DarkHorse posted:

Don't really see the point of going through the trouble of making it a loan in that case. I imagine that he does plan to collect, but on a generous timeline that'll make plenty of allowances for Trump's clear lack of liquid funding.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Blotto_Otter posted:

this morning's trump post whining about the revised gag order, which prevents him from talking about the judge's daughter

Who managed to convince this guy to shut the gently caress up for once

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Islamic Shock posted:

Who managed to convince this guy to shut the gently caress up for once

Getting deplatformed from Twitter worked for a while

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Subjunctive posted:

Ok, the dance continues i guess

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Platonicsolid posted:

Wait, so jury tampering is a crime but you can judge tamper all you want? That seems....wrong.

It's the public figure thing. Judges are professionals who by choice have taken on a public-facing role with broad influence over society and naturally face public reaction. Including from people who they directly interact with. They also have broad ability to affect people in their courtroom, and no matter how much you expect impartiality getting on a judge's bad side is always a risky move regardless of your role in trial.

Jury members are random laypersons ordered by law to participate in courtroom proceedings and do not have any of the benefits, experience, or importantly willingness to be made a target of public scrutiny that every judge must. They require different legal protections.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Wow you can see the jagged edge around where they added "virtually" in there!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CPColin posted:

Wow you can see the jagged edge around where they added "virtually" in there!

you mean the extra space before it?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Vahakyla posted:

It might be dry, but I love Voices of Morebath. F rom 1520 to 1574, through nearly all the drama of the English Reformation, Morebath’s only priest, Sir Christopher Trychay, kept the parish records and book. He wrote down everything as his small town experienced the reformation and as catholicism became english protestantism.

He logged tiniest details, heart warming stories, sadness of civil war, mundane gossip, and what not.

The book frankly just carries me away. In the end when the parish books note that Sir Truchay has died, I was pretty emotional. There’s not a a hint of religion in me as a devout atheist, but this is an excellent book if anyone wants to see one village’s story and how these church books worked in practice.

You, too, will become emotionally invested in how the villagers for years saved tiny bits of money to buy beautiful vestments for the church, only to finally get them and have the Church of England ban them.

You’ll also find out where Sir Truchay kept them afterwards, as he didn’t get rid of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Voices-Morebath-Reformation-Rebellion-English/dp/0300098251

This looks fascinating, and I want to thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

How come I can’t talk about them as I talk endlessly about them?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Too depressingly accurate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blotto_Otter posted:

He also posted a six minute fox and friends clip where Kilmead and Turley spend about a minute attacking the judge's daughter.

The clip for anyone interested. picks up with the relevant information at ~4:30.

Doubt it will lead to anything since I don't think it violates the letter, even if it spits in the face of the spirit.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 2, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Nope. Trump's legal defenses are personal expenses, not campaign expenses. And since he'd have these expenses regardless of whether or not he was running in 2024, that means it's not considered a campaign contribution to pay for them.
Isn't this how the whole Stormy Daniels hush money thing went down though? IIRC the tabloid didn't want to pay her to keep the story secret over these concerns (going buy memory here) and then there were concerns Cohen's payment was a campaign contribution

quote:

Mr Cohen's $130,000 payment to Ms Daniels just before the 2016 election could count as an illegal contribution to President Trump's campaign.

Trevor Potter, president of the Campaign Legal Center, said if Mr Cohen did this on Mr Trump's behalf, "that is a co-ordinated, illegal, in-kind contribution by Cohen for the purpose of influencing the election".
although it seems the republicans ended up killing that investigation:

quote:

The regulatory agency tasked with enforcing campaign finance law announced the case closure Thursday.

It came after the Federal Election Commission (FEC), which is split evenly between Democrats and Republicans, became deadlocked on taking action at a closed-door meeting in February.

The vote came months after an internal report recommended that there was "reason to believe" Mr Trump's campaign had knowingly violated campaign finance law.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57029342

You're probably right that he would've had this expense regardless of the campaign, but isn't that the case with Stormy as well? Pretty sure he wouldn't want his mushroom dick story coming out either way.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I believe that there's a surprisingly strong argument to make that it can be considered a campaign contribution because it effects the presidential race in a substantial way.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Wouldn't it count as taxable income for him though, because instead of him paying for the lawyer he's getting someone else to pay. In essence he's getting additional income.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It would be subject to gift tax if the loan is obviously noneconomical but like, I don't think this dude is just giving Trump 175 mil. It probably IS a loan, probably just on favorable terms in terms of interest and timeframe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gift tax is paid by the giver anyway, not Trump’s problem

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Subjunctive posted:

you mean the extra space before it?

Yes, as if somebody went "whoa whoa whoa" and made him add it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Web browsers do not normally display several spaces in a row, if anything it looks photoshopped

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

fool of sound posted:

It would be subject to gift tax if the loan is obviously noneconomical but like, I don't think this dude is just giving Trump 175 mil. It probably IS a loan, probably just on favorable terms in terms of interest and timeframe.

On the other hand, if a debt is forgiven it is counted as taxable income.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

haveblue posted:

Web browsers do not normally display several spaces in a row, if anything it looks photoshopped

I know Twitter, at least, preserves whitespace, so people can do silly text art. Truth Social might do the same thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't being clear. Wouldn't Trump taking campaign contributions or having the RNC pay for his lawyers in the matter of his personal criminal and civil cases be considered income?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

haveblue posted:

Twitter has preserved whitespace forever, no?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Including thread, sometimes. :bang:
fold it into a loop. it keeps a frayed end from stopping it and is easier to aim

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vahakyla posted:

It might be dry, but I love Voices of Morebath. F rom 1520 to 1574, through nearly all the drama of the English Reformation, Morebath’s only priest, Sir Christopher Trychay, kept the parish records and book. He wrote down everything as his small town experienced the reformation and as catholicism became english protestantism.

He logged tiniest details, heart warming stories, sadness of civil war, mundane gossip, and what not.

The book frankly just carries me away. In the end when the parish books note that Sir Truchay has died, I was pretty emotional. There’s not a a hint of religion in me as a devout atheist, but this is an excellent book if anyone wants to see one village’s story and how these church books worked in practice.

You, too, will become emotionally invested in how the villagers for years saved tiny bits of money to buy beautiful vestments for the church, only to finally get them and have the Church of England ban them.

You’ll also find out where Sir Truchay kept them afterwards, as he didn’t get rid of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Voices-Morebath-Reformation-Rebellion-English/dp/0300098251

Well that's a slam buy. Thank you.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Twitter has preserved whitespace forever, no?

Twitter is very concerned about preserving white spaces

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wakka wakka posted:

Twitter is very concerned about preserving white spaces

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Staluigi posted:

that's wild, sorry about the unexpected deep dive

least i can say on the situation is that if a person's dad is described as anything like "leader in the KJV only movement" (or any of those things where people get so explicitly anal about religion that they will devote their life and identity to dredging up new hills to die on) then they were probably carrying monumental quantities of grade-a childhood trauma inflicted by a bitterly hyperobsessive parent

all usually untreated of course because gently caress if these people believe in therapy

No worries, it was just an odd way to find out about something hosed up like that.

Also, 100% agreed. The fundie movement in general is rife with child abuse, and the leadership especially so. The dad was from Pensacola FL and the local paper there reported the whole thing with a thinly veiled tone of "son of local rear end in a top hat was also an rear end in a top hat in both life and death" so it seems like there was...a lot of problems he caused. I can only imagine the kinds of dictatorial insanity he subjected his kid to.