Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dirby posted:

There are small pockets that fit that description, but mostly it's not like that at all. It's a fine city and I prefer to spend extended time in Baltimore over nearby DC.
There's a Baltimore / Maryland thread in LAN: Your City Sucks - Regional Discussion if you have more specific questions.

We spent a weekend there a couple of weekends ago. Definitely some cool places to go. Ministry of Brewing is a brewery in a very large ex-church. Hampden neighborhood has a ton of interesting shops and restaurants. There were definitely seedy parts but you wouldn’t end up there as a tourist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I have something that's always in one of two states, and I need to measure the time it's in each state. Is there any kind of binary stopwatch mobile app that can instantly switch between one stopwatch being active and another?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s basically the same concept as a chess clock.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I was thinking that, but I'm not immediately seeing one that counts up.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was thinking that, but I'm not immediately seeing one that counts up.

I could use a chess clock with a very long custom game duration and subtract the end times from the starting times to find how much has elapsed, but that's not ideal.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is there a forum or subforum dedicated to discussing youtubers and/or streamers? or is there one where such threads tend to congregate? not really interested if there's like one thread for the entirety of youtube/streaming

mystes
May 31, 2006

kalel posted:

Is there a forum or subforum dedicated to discussing youtubers and/or streamers? or is there one where such threads tend to congregate? not really interested if there's like one thread for the entirety of youtube/streaming
The only thing like that that I'm aware of is just one thread in rapidly going deaf for the entirety of youtube/streaming so I don't know if there's anything that's like what you want

A subforum where people could create threads about specific youtubers would be pretty nice

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 1, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mystes posted:

The only thing like that that I'm aware of is just one thread in rapidly going deaf for the entirety of youtube/streaming so I don't know if there's anything that's like what you want

A subforum where people could create threads about specific youtubers would be pretty nice

Call it the parasocial panopticon.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

NotNut posted:

I could use a chess clock with a very long custom game duration and subtract the end times from the starting times to find how much has elapsed, but that's not ideal.

Looking at my Samsung alarm/stopwatch app, there's a lap function. State A for odd laps, state b for even laps?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mystes posted:

There’s also the Linus Theft Tips thread in sh/sc for hardware and tech YouTubers

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Stupid question: Do we have a subgroup for remote workers to chat? Or maybe just a recommendation for a remote worker community outside the forums(?)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Stupid question: Do we have a subgroup for remote workers to chat? Or maybe just a recommendation for a remote worker community outside the forums(?)

If you work in tech you can find local communities by searching "<location> tech slack/discord"

Or search here

https://github.com/thisdot/tech-community-slacks

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a virology thread? How scary is the HPAI news (dairy cows/workers testing positive)? Do we monitor sewage for H5N1 the same way we do other viruses?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is there a term for when people apply inconsistent membership criteria to privilege purity of one category of people over another?

For two common examples:
skin color wise, white people not counting as white if they're even a little black by ancestry, while black people are black no matter how much white you mix in
sexuality wise, straight people not counting as straight if they've ever sucked a dick or slept with a dude even once, while gay people can have a history of being married with kids without any questions about if they're "really" gay

This sort of "priviliged categorization" is something I see a lot of, and it frustrates me to no end, and I wish I had a word for this specifically

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Seems related to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

"Dave is gay right?

No, he's married to a woman and has children and identifies as straight.

"But didn't he hook up with a guy at a college party 20 years ago?"

I think so but he said he was exploring his sexuality and was also drunk at the time. It was a one time thing and he identifies as heterosexual

"Ahhhh, no true straight guy would ever do that. He's a gay!"

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

GlyphGryph posted:

skin color wise, white people not counting as white if they're even a little black by ancestry, while black people are black no matter how much white you mix in

Gonna to ignore the question for a moment, but that’s very consistent logic, its the one-drop rule

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dupersaurus posted:

Gonna to ignore the question for a moment, but that’s very consistent logic, its the one-drop rule

The inconsistency is between categorical definitions (often accompanies with a denial that there is any inconsistency and that the category rules are the same across the board despite the existence of rules like what you are describing), not in application of the bias. The application is usually very consistent but that's not really what I'm asking about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GlyphGryph posted:

The inconsistency is between categorical definitions (often accompanies with a denial that there is any inconsistency and that the category rules are the same across the board despite the existence of rules like what you are describing), not in application of the bias. The application is usually very consistent but that's not really what I'm asking about.

the categorical definitions are: “black: people with any black heritage”, and “white: people without any black heritage”. what’s inconsistent, exactly?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
inconsistency is perhaps not the right term but yeah it's clear that there's an asymmetry here where one thing is defined by the absence of others or by ""purity"".

it makes sense for e.g. vegan food (vegan cookies are the ones with 0% butter, the ones that use 50% butter and 50% substitute are not half-vegan) but not for race.
basically it puts "white" on a special pedestal defined in opposition to the rest instead of treating different races equivalently

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Are you looking for the name of the logical fallacy or like a sociopolitical term? Those are just fundamental aspects of the way that race and sexuality are used and weaponized depending on where and when you're talking about in the world. I'd usually just call it stupid homophobia or racism, I dunno if there's a useful term for that specific type.

There's a lot of reading you can do in regard to whiteness being a category defined by it's separation from blackness or ethnicity or "race" overall as a function of white supremacy in general, sexuality is a little different but in the broad sense it's kinda the same idea.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 2, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I guess it’s “asymmetry”, but in the context of race specifically the definitions have always been a social tool first and logical tool never

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Race isn't really something that exists physically, it's a social categorization developed as a tool of oppression like four hundred years ago to justify and entrench slavery and white supremacist extraction and exploitation. Arabs were considered white until it was convenient that they weren't, and irish people weren't considered white until it became convenient for them to be white. It's just a social ideological tool of power to be wielded by whoever can get themselves in a position to do so.

Sexuality is obviously pretty different because it's entirely a matter of self-identification, it's not an identification placed on you by others who take note of physical or ethnic characteristics. The social character of someone calling you gay slurs even though you're married to a woman is a lot different and less socially powerful than racial categorization for obvious reasons, along with it being openly juvenile enough that it's a lot less likely to be taken seriously.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 2, 2024

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Just want to point out this is only true from a white perspective. My nephew is mixed race and he was known as the white boy among one group of his friends.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Where is that gif of the pixelated merchant(?) in a sombrero(?) talking and pointing from? I feel like it must be a SA-centric thing but I cannot find it, and I must use it externally for a reference no one will care about or get.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

the categorical definitions are: “black: people with any black heritage”, and “white: people without any black heritage”. what’s inconsistent, exactly?

Specifically its situations where on the surface it is presented as "different but equal groups", simply presenting it as categorization with no inherent biases or value judgements assigned, and then having a special rule that privileges membership in one group on the basis of purity while deciding membership in every other group from some other standard. For race stuff the inconsistency becomes obvious when you consider other races - someone who believes that wouldn't consider asian people to be white, so they obviously aren't using your definition. Instead you get "asian people have asian heritage, black people have black heritage, hispanic people have hispanic heritage, white people have white heritage, and if you mix those you get someone who is mixed race except that white doesn't count towards mixed-race" and the inconsistency (and maybe inconsistency isn't the right word, but I can't think of a better one) of the categorical definition becomes more obvious.

Flournival Dixon posted:

Are you looking for the name of the logical fallacy or like a sociopolitical term?

Either would be fine, but I was thinking it would be more of a rhetorical or taxonomical term since it's not really a "logic" thing. For racial categories and the example I gave in specific the term is hypodescent, but hyperdescent is also a thing and feels like there should be a more general word for that sort of grouping?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

inconsistency is perhaps not the right term but yeah it's clear that there's an asymmetry here where one thing is defined by the absence of others or by ""purity"".

it makes sense for e.g. vegan food (vegan cookies are the ones with 0% butter, the ones that use 50% butter and 50% substitute are not half-vegan) but not for race.
basically it puts "white" on a special pedestal defined in opposition to the rest instead of treating different races equivalently

I think there is a difference between your vegan food style example, even if put in racial terms ("white" and "non-white", for example, because you could also do "black and non-black" or "asian and non-asian" or "english and non-english" and it wouldn't require any special cases for those other categories), and the example where the categories are presented as equal but different but then sneakily one has an extra "purity" element added, often left unstated and outright denied when its pointed out.

It appears in plenty of other situations as well, it was pretty rampant in species taxonomy before it became more formalized, you see it regularly in religious groups. Where there is some general rule for how to define categories but, hey, guess what, the categories the speaker is a membership of always have some additional purity component (often conveniently placing anyone who fails into another group that is seen as lesser somehow)

"No True Scotsman" might be the closest to a general term, although it really feels like I'm torturing it to get it to fit.

greazeball posted:

Just want to point out this is only true from a white perspective. My nephew is mixed race and he was known as the white boy among one group of his friends.

That just seems like another example of it, though? I wasn't trying to imply the white supremacist viewpoint was the only possible racial instance of it.

Anyway, I'm getting the sense that there is no general term for it, which is a shame considering how often I run into it and how hard it is to make people even aware they are doing it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 2, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Where is that gif of the pixelated merchant(?) in a sombrero(?) talking and pointing from? I feel like it must be a SA-centric thing but I cannot find it, and I must use it externally for a reference no one will care about or get.

I believe you're describing Stan from the Monkey Island games

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a virology thread? How scary is the HPAI news (dairy cows/workers testing positive)? Do we monitor sewage for H5N1 the same way we do other viruses?

I wouldn't worry about it. Our public health systems have been so thoroughly diminished and dismantled that even if it was serious we wouldn't be able to do much about it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Could you actually have a Scrooge McDuck style diving into a pool of money? It seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work with with metal coins, but could you do it with banknotes? Or would pieces of cotton/plastic/paperwhatever still be too hard and unyielding?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If you're worried about the next pandemic I'd suggest looking at what the covid-cautious people are doing and probably just start doing that now. It seems pretty unlikely that anything meaningful would be done to mitigate the next pandemic unless it's something as flashy and scary as ebola or whatever, and waiting for the health officials to admit there's a pandemic is going to be a lot slower of a process than it was last time either way.

Hyperlynx posted:

Could you actually have a Scrooge McDuck style diving into a pool of money? It seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work with with metal coins, but could you do it with banknotes? Or would pieces of cotton/plastic/paperwhatever still be too hard and unyielding?

You would die for sure unless the paper was crumpled up to create enough air pocket cushioning to stop your fall, at which point you would probably sink to the bottom without being able to swim your way up on account of you are not bouyant enough in air and the paper wouldn't be strong enough for you to climb up. Paper just sitting in a pile is not that much softer or more yielding than raw wood.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 3, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Maybe if you had giant fans pushing air into the pile of bills, it might work.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hyperlynx posted:

It would go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLJrzfWTu9E

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you were a sufficiently rich rear end in a top hat you could commission once of those 0-G flights and swim though a cloud of bills midair

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you were a sufficiently rich rear end in a top hat you could commission once of those 0-G flights and swim though a cloud of bills midair

If you're a sufficiently rich rear end in a top hat you could get one of those indoor skydiving things and float while a bunch of people feed money into the airstream too. You have options.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

it would just be like diving onto a giant pile of printer paper, basically.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, what would diving into a pile of printer paper be like if you'd poured it into an empty swimming pool enough to fill it, though?

Is it all going to end up lying flat so that it's all compacted so there's no give when you slam into it? Or is pouring it in in the first place going to create enough variation in how the paper lands that some of it folds over so that it's uneven, has pockets of air, and so on?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Almost all of it will be lying flat, there wouldn't be enough air to make any kind of cushion and it'd still pretty much just be slamming your body into a solid surface. Paper is just too solid, it's only flexible because it's thin.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hyperlynx posted:

If you tried to do it on banknotes you really would have a bad time diving into it from a height I mean they're just paper and fibers imagine if you tried to dive into a huge pool of printer paper you'd immediately break your neck

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, what would diving into a pile of printer paper be like if you'd poured it into an empty swimming pool enough to fill it, though?

Is it all going to end up lying flat so that it's all compacted so there's no give when you slam into it? Or is pouring it in in the first place going to create enough variation in how the paper lands that some of it folds over so that it's uneven, has pockets of air, and so on?

No it's not gonna magically be less hard or dense unless you shredded the stuff

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you tried to do it on banknotes you really would have a bad time diving into it from a height I mean they're just paper and fibers imagine if you tried to dive into a huge pool of printer paper you'd immediately break your neck

Depends on the banknote. Australian ones are made of plastic and they're somewhat slick so it's possible that if you had a big pile of crumpled ones you might be able to dive into it and not smash yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe if you had giant fans pushing air into the pile of bills, it might work.

I'm reasonably sure this would have an even worse effect, and you would literally just smash into the bottom of whatever "pool" you are diving into.

If you bubble air through sand, it will turn into extremely quick sand.

https://youtu.be/My4RA5I0FKs?si=KBaxBWcn6whcNZO-

first 10s of this video demonstrate it enough, 7:20 shows that you should definitely let children play in it and nothing ever could go wrong.