Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rags to Liches posted:

posting is extremely serious business to many goons

the ppj undercover nazi discord thing was great for this. there was a post like "they may have turned your agent, implement your contingency protocols"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

combining my three loves: hanging out with neonazis playing rust online, posting very seriously on this website, and pretending im a secret agent.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

NoiseAnnoys posted:

combining my three loves: hanging out with neonazis playing rust online, posting very seriously on this website, and pretending im a secret agent.

ppj simply too embarrassed to admit he was hanging with them because the nazis have all the cool poo poo in rust

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rags to Liches posted:

decades long forum grudges are the funniest thing like imagine someone coming off a long day of work as the assistant manager for the local best buy and logging on the forums to seethe about some guy lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
i was called a bully and harasser for saying linkara had a silly voice in the greatest thread on the forums

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Going from memory, having several times in the past checked posts and tried to be accurate

2015/6: Koala's March gets made mod, The Great Race Space sub forum is created, she runs it like a personal fiefdom. This was the result of some image posted of some shirtless white guys in a cotten field being whipped by a black guy as MLK Jr. looks on smiling

For the next few years she basically takes literally every single chance to scream about doxxing and harassment. Some likely valid as it was coming from an offsite, but a lot of targeted attacks at FYAD when she got mocked for things like starting a mutual aid fund then using it to buy herself a laptop (that she may/may not have needed for work in a non-profit)

Obviously Trump getting elected in 2016 changed a lot of things, many posters left the website for various reasons, but the site started shifting more towards a liberal posting base and a generally queer/trans friendly environment.

2019: The guy who is famous for writing the gritty post-apoc Charlie Brown story Weapon Brown gets threadbanned in CD/TBB someplace people are discussing comics. One of his fans makes a QCS thread about it that boils over to Weapon Brown guy getting banned and Koala's March basically making a ton of demands or that her and a ton of mods/admins would leave the site. FYAD is temporarily closed by Lowtax.

By this point the oft repeated line is that FYAD are violent doxxing harassers, who are all active kiwifarm posters, and it takes root in a lot of minds as true despite literally no proof ever being offered anywhere. Several FYAD posters are permabanned, some later revoked, its kind of messy.

I will note that according to multiple mods and admins at the time, getting Lowtax involved in anything was a terrible idea and they tried to never contact him outside of some unresolvable tech issue or something. The reason Lowtax got involved is because Koala's March was literally blowing up his phone demanding he step in and right the ship.

FYAD is opened, Vichy FYAD, then permanently closed again. Lowtax tries to delete the entire thing but Jeffery had recently removed that ability after finding it because the idea of mass data erasing was abhorrent to him. Lowtax gives an interview to Vice calling FYAD a nazi space, saying the ironic nazis all turned into real ones. Koala's March tweeted at Vice saying she also deserved credit for it.

2020 starts with a victory lap by Koala's March and several others in her camp, "taking time for some self care" before wanting to take down TFR for being a racist gun forum and GiP for being pro war psychos. 6 months later Lowtax beats his current girlfriend and it becomes the Yikeseroo thread. People are expecting the site to die and then Jeffrey steps in to say he has made a offer to buy the site and Lowtax has agreed. This was a big move to Bread and Roses for some people, Smarxist made his "hasta siempre" post.

Once Jeffery owns the site he clears the air about FYAD, says it was a lot of hot air and nothing. Koala's March treats it like a betrayal and claims she was getting sent rape threats and asks for a perma. She then accidently posts on her alt, Honey Trap Queen, by mistake right after thinking the thread was screwed up. It's revealed that the entire posting history of HTQ was to praise Koala's March and tell people they need to listen and respect her, and she's teaching so many valuable lessons about racism.

Weirdly looking back it was barely 6 months of KM and her inmmates trying to run the asylum. There was tons of poo poo later leaked via mod forums that paints it as some of the pettiest of petty poo poo and mostly just screaming at everyone who didn't immediately agree with anything she said.

While the sale of SA was wrapping up Lowtax mentioned to Jeffery that he was still in contact with KM and they would commiserate about being run off SA for not being leftist enough.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the ppj undercover nazi discord thing was great for this. there was a post like "they may have turned your agent, implement your contingency protocols"

Happy Thread posted:

Folks like that don't need to spend ten bucks if someone with access gives them the hookup. Compromised SA credentials are also supposedly available in bulk on the dark web. Nazis are continuously here because someone wants them to be here.

Also found the bon bon post:

Happy Thread posted:

Now I'm bugging out because today I crossed one of my own safety lines by accident. It won't sound like it to anyone else. I got a box of frozen bonbons at the grocery, opened it and ate one.

All these visuals immediately filled my head of those frozen seafood shipments that allowed COVID to start little outbreaks in countries that otherwise didn't have it. I felt a twinge of hesitation as I went for a bite but ignored it since I already eat frozen ice cream. No need to overthink it, right, I already did that work for ice cream previously. But when I took a look at the bitten cross section, I realized that this is a dessert that had to be assembled in the open air while frozen. It's not like the more sealed manufacturing process for an ice cream tub, when I guess it goes striaght in.

So next I'm on Youtube looking up How It's Made videos of frozen desserts. The factory lines are zipping by, hundreds of the things being assembled by machine, and sure enough every video has workers with hairnets but no face masks sitting on the line, hovering over it, breathing on it and filling the room with their air. One actually showed a maskless guy opening the vat of ice cream and sticking his face up to the opening to take a big whiff, all his personal air freezing onto the product. A lot of camera shots featured masks. But over 50% dicknosers. So many dicknosers.

I handled someone's frozen exhalations today. I tasted it so it definitely made it to my olfactory bulb. The risk is small, but unknown. Food factories are famous for outbreaks. The manufacture date on the box did not bring relief: Feburary 2021, hello newer strains. For a year I have washed every surface of every grocery and other object entering my front door to keep COVID out of our house for our cats. If all that was futile because of a bonbon I'm gonna be mad.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Al! posted:

theres a guy who literally just posted about how dnd thread moderation is life & death in sad like 20 minutes ago

truly the highest of stakes

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

that’s incredible, now I want to know what contingency protocols a bunch of goons pretending to be spies came up with at the time lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

it a fact that people simply would not know that racism is bad if it wasn't for a thread on this website.

Nuns with Guns posted:

wow, this is both hilarious and depressing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al! posted:

ppj simply too embarrassed to admit he was hanging with them because the nazis have all the cool poo poo in rust

A friend of mine raided a shitload of bases in rust because he tried 1488 as the gate password in one base and surprisingly it worked all over the game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

A friend of mine raided a shitload of bases in rust because he tried 1488 as the gate password in one base and surprisingly it worked all over the game

lol

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

pog boyfriend posted:

decades long forum grudges are the funniest thing like imagine someone coming off a long day of work as the assistant manager for the local best buy and logging on the forums to seethe about some guy lol

also true, it seems like it’s way too much effort to hold forums grudges!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Compromised SA credentials are also supposedly available in bulk on the dark web.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jeff is a gentle soul.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rags to Liches posted:

They're right.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol
killer bonbon
killer bonbon
killer bon bonnn

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Coolguye posted:

a lot of it happened when the abuser stuff came out. LP makes content so a lot of people were like "well we make content and that drives signups".

imho at least how dumb that is depends directly on how much drama you made on the way out. 99% of LP makers, including myself, are complete nobodies so pretending like anyone should care when you take your ball and go home was ridiculous. but a lot of us just were like "well gently caress it then", left a forwarding address, and stopped posting until jeff took over.

This was a good argument back in like 2009 and 2010 when Let’s Plays were a new hot thing and Something Awful was one of the bigger centers of it on the internet

Now… compare any LP video on YouTube with the view count of the ones posted in the LP sub forum

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the list of fyad posters which contained no fyad posters

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

make it "sting"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

so many dicknosers

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alaois posted:

Compromised SA credentials are also supposedly available in bulk on the dark web.

I really want to know what this dude thought 'compromised' meant here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the list of fyad posters which contained no fyad posters

And a weirdly high amount of trans anime posters lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anime.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Funny to think Let's Plays as a format lived and died in like idk 18 years?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

goons convinced neopets discussion was a racist dogwhistle by fyad and also that the fast food forum was a fyad transphobe dogwhistle

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was also some CSPAM-D&D drama (because of course there was) happening at the same time that was largely incidental to the larger FYAD closure nonsense but it got rolled into the whole thing because rays or something, and I was briefly described by Jeffrey as the official spokesman for CSPAM (which came as a surprise to the majority of CSPAM who'd never heard of me, and also to me) on the strength of some stupid insomnia-fueled effortpost I made in the middle of it all whose details now escape me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

Someone opened a bakery called Bread and Roses near me a little while before the pandemic, and he used to complain all the time that people would come in looking to get a baked good and some flowers and then leave when that wasn’t an option.

As you’d expect from someone that ran a business named for a pro-labour slogan, he also apparently loved to delay paycheques, and dock people’s pay for insane reasons.

It seemed like he discovered an untapped market and then refused to take advantage of it because it undermined the reference if he was complaining constantly

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

make it "sting"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Adele: helloooo from the other strains… my cats will die a thousand timessss

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Funny to think Let's Plays as a format lived and died in like idk 18 years?

it's still alive; it's just nowhere near a sellable a product as just livestreaming is currently

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mad Hamish posted:

I really want to know what this dude thought 'compromised' meant here.

Where do you think all those people wanting Сasual Dates were coming from?

That's right: ze fätherlünd.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pentyne posted:

the troubles

good summary

at some point KM said she should be in charge of any threads about Judaism, LDS, and some third religion bc she was the only one with enough expertise and sensitivity

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

I know I had no idea any of the KM coup poo poo was going on but it must have been happening in parts of the forums I don't usually go to and now I'm wondering how many other posters were ignorant of it and found out by reading about the drama elsewhere. Like, if you just paid attention to bookmarked threads or spent most of your time in one or two subforums it would probably come as a surprise that there was drama big enough to almost tear the forums apart.

The yikesaroo seemed to be way 'louder', if you will, but I feel like that spilled out everywhere in a way that the KM stuff didn't.

I just stumbled into qcs one day and went "what in the gently caress is this website, actually?"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KM scamming goons to buy herself a gaming laptop was pretty based ngl

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

remember when she was like and also those fyad fucks are making fun of me for my piano. what the hell was that about lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

rofl

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Spanish Manlove posted:

jfc

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This was a good argument back in like 2009 and 2010 when Let’s Plays were a new hot thing and Something Awful was one of the bigger centers of it on the internet

Now… compare any LP video on YouTube with the view count of the ones posted in the LP sub forum

even back in then i think it was overstated. precisely because SA tends to make way too serious business about everything, slowbeef took the now-famous "psuedo-hobby" stance, so even that crop of LPers were allergic to doing any of the higher effort gags, bits, and gimmicks that were ultimately successful and morphed into stuff like the super snappy video reviews that people like civvie and mandalore do. there were definitely threads that caused a lot of registrations, but it's like a dozen over the thousands in the subforum over the years. yeah SA was one of the bigger centers of it, but the entire scene was basically internet deep lore. SA had lost control of it long before it went ""mainstream"" because most people were stuck between the contradictory guidance of "what are you bringing to the table" and "psuedo-hobby".

like the recent TDI drama is kind of the perfect illustration. one of the most "successful" LPers the subforum ever created almost immediately adopted a gimmick of making chrono cross characters say gently caress and then took on an irl bit of claiming he was a shellshocked war dog with terminal cancer in order to create a cult of personality so hardened that it resisted other people calling it out for like 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

NWAH HOLY poo poo ITS STING