Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Crafting jobs are literally identical, however. I think there is a way to copy your layout from job to job so you only need to set up that once and just copy it to all your other ones.

From the second post:

AngusPodgorny posted:

Help, I upgraded to a job at level 30 and my hotbars are messed up
It's because classes and jobs have independent hotbars, but you can use text commands to copy the obsolete class ones over. For example,
/hotbar copy gla 1 pld 1
will copy the first gladiator hotbar to the first paladin hotbar. This is also handy for crafting jobs to keep everything consistent.

Since there's no reason to play a class after unlocking a job, there are fancy things you can do with having 100+ unused hotbars, like faking custom pull-down menus, but that's beyond the scope of this thread (and also my knowledge).

onesixtwo posted:

Slight addition to the /hotbar copy section: /chotbar copy is the command for Crossbar / controller players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Now that I'm approaching 70 on dragoon, it's getting tricky finding a mnemonic controller layout that doesn't involve too much flipping back and forth. I have the Heavens' Thrust combo moving up through AXY on RT, the Chaotic Spring combo on LT+XY, then Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust on RT+B and LT+B, respectively. This works well enough, but then trying to find an easy way to double weave all the oGCD buffs and jump attacks without quick swaps to the other layout is a bit of a challenge. I think I'm just going to have to get used to playing controller piano in order to effectively play dragoon :negative:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

404notfound posted:

Now that I'm approaching 70 on dragoon, it's getting tricky finding a mnemonic controller layout that doesn't involve too much flipping back and forth. I have the Heavens' Thrust combo moving up through AXY on RT, the Chaotic Spring combo on LT+XY, then Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust on RT+B and LT+B, respectively. This works well enough, but then trying to find an easy way to double weave all the oGCD buffs and jump attacks without quick swaps to the other layout is a bit of a challenge. I think I'm just going to have to get used to playing controller piano in order to effectively play dragoon :negative:

I'm only like level 43 or something but this is what I was worried about. I like my little rotation on the right side of the controller.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can always just not use the new skills if the combat loop is getting too complicated.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think you should encourage that.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

orcane posted:

Yes that's why I say the game shouldn't just drop them on your bars like that :)

You have to delete + reassign/move them all anyway, might as well ask people to open their spells panel, read the descriptions and place them in a way that makes sense for them (because the default order makes no sense at all, ever).

Oh, I completely misunderstood what you mean, my bad :v: You meant the actual hotbars and not the idea of dropping 70 levels of skills right on your lap and telling you to figure it out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can always just not use the new skills if the combat loop is getting too complicated.

For now that’s what I’m doing since tbh I’m still on ARR and just kinda want to do this at the most casual pace possible.

At the same time though I’ll get around to figuring out how to maneuver this stuff on the controller later. I would like to at some point, just not rn.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think you should encourage that.

I mean, the most important thing is to have a good time and not ruin your other party member's fun. As long as you're clearing any group content fine, whatever makes it fun eh?

I don't personally intend to drop skills myself.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Having just done Dragoon to 90 myself I cannot even begin to imagine trying to wrap the 7 GCDs that form your infinite combo around a controller and have it feel good (not to mention all the OGCDs you WANT to be weaving pretty much constantly).

I wish y'all the best of luck on that

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmfao is there a good job for the controller I can shoot for another time? Dragoon is just cool tbh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skeezy posted:

Lmfao is there a good job for the controller I can shoot for another time? Dragoon is just cool tbh.

How do you feel about staring at Titan's butt for 1/6th of the fight?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I think most Dragoons have the rear combo on one bar and the flank combo on another. Don't be afraid to put something on multiple buttons when playing on controller if doing so makes sense. On Dragoon it's commonly done with True Thrust, Wheeling Thrust, and Fang and Claw in some combination since they're in both combos.

General rules for binds:
- You should expect to end up with 30ish abilities that you need to bind on any given job. Some have slightly more (PLD, NIN), some slightly fewer (WHM, BLM) but it's not going to vary all that much.
- You will not be able to make that work without using modifier keys on KB and the extended or double cross hotbar (WXHB, for Japanese reasons) on controller, so you might as well bite the bullet early and get used to them.
- The game is very intentionally designed such that you can bind all those abilities in a way that's comfortable and makes sense. Half the devs play with gamepads plus there's a big console focus, they're not going to make it impossible.

There's a lot of different guides on how to set up bars, as well as a dedicated bar layout sharing website with example set ups as well as macros that'll import a layout. As not-primarily-a-dragoon and not-primarily-a-gamepadder I thought this one was pretty reasonable, although I'd certainly change some things; move Sprint and Arm's Length off the main bars, remove Mount entirely, take Battle Litany off the double-tap, etc.

If the strict combo sequences on melee jobs are getting you down, try Bard or Summoner or something. You're unlikely to immediately land on your favorite job, so gently caress around. It's easy to think "well I like Spear Guy in [other game] so surely I'll like Spear Guy" but things don't necessarily translate. I play mainly casters in FF14 and don't like the melees all that much; in WoW I felt the exact opposite and generally always played melee.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Dragoon can be a bit of a struggle on controller until you get a grasp of using expanded controls + WXHBs.

If you haven't enabled expanded hotbars + WXHB yet, it makes a huge difference. Akhmorning has a good guide on setup:

https://www.akhmorning.com/resources/controller-guide/the-cross-hotbar/#expanded--wxhb

Once you set up, you can access more buttons by holding LT->RT or RT->LT (expanded controls), or yet another set by double tapping LT or RT (WXHB). A common use of WXHB is putting duplicates of abilities that are also on the expanded bars so I can also keep track of their cooldowns regardless of which bar is currently visible.

So as an example I'll have one part of my dragoon combo from just holding left trigger, then with it still held down holding right trigger will show more of the same combo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I recommend sticking with a rotation for awhile even if you think it'll feel bad. Although the game has been homogenized more as time goes on you still end up with distinct class feel that changes at late stages, especially Dragoon 70 which is the first time the class felt complete and good to me.

They're MMOs, you're expected to practice and get used to the rotation over dozens of fights. Also based on the number of relevant DPS rotation buttons I'd say if you can play something like a recent Monster Hunter on controller then you don't need to fear button creep.

There's also intentional dev design to make sure buttons cap at a certain controller friendly number. From 70-90 several classes will get buttons that change into new abilities for a press and so on at the end of a combo or buff/set-up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, the most important thing is to have a good time and not ruin your other party member's fun. As long as you're clearing any group content fine, whatever makes it fun eh?

I don't personally intend to drop skills myself.

Any single party member is uneccessary in 4 person groups. Like pick a person and they can afk-follow someone. That doesn't make it ok.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, this is a multiplayer game. You don't have to be good, but you do owe it to your fellow players to try.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And if you don't want to try in dungeons, use Duty Support.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I macro many of the fire and forget ogcds but you can only do that on PC with plugins.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

And if you don't want to try in dungeons, use Duty Support.

Yeah lol that’s one of my favorite things.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So my new Least Favorite Thing this time around is: when I am forced during a Solo Duty to play as one of the other characters.

NONE of those have been the least bit fun, or interesting. Best-case scenario they are boring. They have to dumb-down the NPCs toolkit to 4-5 buttons so you're not thrown into a new Job with 20 buttons to sort out, but that makes it boring to play, and then sometimes you get a "press then button when I say so" action - for "excitement".

Awful.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HaB posted:

So my new Least Favorite Thing this time around is: when I am forced during a Solo Duty to play as one of the other characters.

NONE of those have been the least bit fun, or interesting. Best-case scenario they are boring. They have to dumb-down the NPCs toolkit to 4-5 buttons so you're not thrown into a new Job with 20 buttons to sort out, but that makes it boring to play, and then sometimes you get a "press then button when I say so" action - for "excitement".

Awful.

Fully agreed. I've never liked the solo duties to begin with and generally fail them asap so I can do them on easy baby mode but playing as a different character with one or two buttons is so dull.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HaB posted:

Awful.
My ideal is that you'd be given eight buttons for an NPC solo duty. That way you'd at least have a full-ish hotbar without it being overwhelming, and that's enough buttons to fill out the four face buttons and the d-pad on a controller.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's just silly because their new moveset boils down to a 1-2-3 combo that's consolidated to 1 button, an oGCD that you weave every 10 seconds or so, and a self heal. I get that they don't want to overwhelm you by throwing you into the deep end of a level 70 class you've never seen, but if you want me to feel powerful playing as this character you need to give me a few more options than that

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I just looked at it the other way: I'm like "drat, no wonder I'm the Warrior of Light! These people have no buttons lmao"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Those duties go a long way in making me disagree with people who say that rotations should get condensed the way they are in pvp

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I actually don't mind then but if they're gonna have you go through “Triumph or Die” mechanics then (as per my understanding up to 5.4) some checkpoints would be nice.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was chugging along and finally hit 70 on my dragoon, only to find that I'm no longer able to register for the alliance roulette. It says I need an item score of 305 now, but seeing as how I'm still wrapping up Heavensward, the level 60 poetics gear in Idyllshire is the best stuff I can get and is only item score 270.

I guess I can get higher level stuff from the market board? It's just annoying that I feel like I'm being punished for overleveling, particularly since the alliance roulette is the only one that seems to come up with DPS as the adventurer in need bonus with any regularity

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

404notfound posted:

I was chugging along and finally hit 70 on my dragoon, only to find that I'm no longer able to register for the alliance roulette. It says I need an item score of 305 now, but seeing as how I'm still wrapping up Heavensward, the level 60 poetics gear in Idyllshire is the best stuff I can get and is only item score 270.

I guess I can get higher level stuff from the market board? It's just annoying that I feel like I'm being punished for overleveling, particularly since the alliance roulette is the only one that seems to come up with DPS as the adventurer in need bonus with any regularity

Yeah, unfortunately this is a fix they introduced to stop people cheating the ilvl gates and only queuing for Crystal Tower, but it does then affect people like yourself. You should I thought be able to queue as a different class, one that is below level 70? You could use this as an excuse to start leveling a new job! Practically speaking you will always be overleveled if you're focusing on just one job because the MSQ gives you enough XP just on its own.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It feels weird that they still have level-based ilevel gates on that roulette even for people who haven't unlocked the higher-level raids in the first place. I guess there's probably not a good workaround for that, though?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It's a once a day roulette, there shouldn't be a laundry list of different qualifiers attached to it, just to maybe cover a few more edge cases of people vastly overleveling or similar.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don’t think there is an easy way to distinguish between someone that has overleveled but doesn’t have the gear because they are new over someone that is overleveled but decides not to put level appropriate gear in order to get LotA. Even putting checks on if a duty is unlocked or not by a player is open to abuse. The issue is that the roulette is meant to help new players actually be able to queue for alliance raids they haven’t done yet and give them reasonable queue times.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Infected posted:

It's a once a day roulette, there shouldn't be a laundry list of different qualifiers attached to it, just to maybe cover a few more edge cases of people vastly overleveling or similar.
yss, but the same logic also applies to the level based item level requirements in the first place - yet despite the screeching for harsh measures by redditors, OF posters and goons insulted by having to run LotA yet again, that's still 90% of the roulette and loving over genuine newbies was the predictable side effect of a feature like this

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I don't see why they couldn't link it to MSQ completion. If you've not completed Stormblood, don't put the ilvl restrictions on.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I agree the strict ilvl requirement is not great in this situation, but if you're on a job 10+ levels above your current MSQ then you don't really have much need to run alliance roulette on that particular job. The XP isn't doing anything for you. Can always pick up Dancer or Samurai if you want to run it for fun or poetics.

The game being strict about it still helps shorten queues for actual newbies direct queueing for newly unlocked 24-mans, even if most roulettes for max level folks are still going to be crystal tower due to the statistics of it all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

orcane posted:

yss, but the same logic also applies to the level based item level requirements in the first place - yet despite the screeching for harsh measures by redditors, OF posters and goons insulted by having to run LotA yet again, that's still 90% of the roulette and loving over genuine newbies was the predictable side effect of a feature like this

personally, I think it's worse for newbies to have a 90-minute queue time for Ridorana where a third of the alliance leaves upon zoning in (I have seen this before) because people refuse to do anything requiring thought

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Tekopo posted:

I don’t think there is an easy way to distinguish between someone that has overleveled but doesn’t have the gear because they are new over someone that is overleveled but decides not to put level appropriate gear in order to get LotA. Even putting checks on if a duty is unlocked or not by a player is open to abuse. The issue is that the roulette is meant to help new players actually be able to queue for alliance raids they haven’t done yet and give them reasonable queue times.
I'd just have it check whether you've beaten the final boss of a given expansion.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Always remember to do your part and bail on a crystal tower raid if there's no first timer bonus.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

404notfound posted:

If you’re that overleveled you don’t need to be running roulettes, just go play the game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just run my roulettes for alt jobs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I simply run the raid the roulette gives me

(I do "cheese" the roulette within its current restrictions by unequipping one piece of jewelry, because otherwise it's Thaleia 90% of the time and god gently caress is that raid boring)