Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Following up on that guy who shot at a car that pulled into the wrong driveway last year...

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/kevin-monahan-faces-judge-friday-driveway-murder-18695585.php

quote:

A Washington County judge sentenced Kevin Monahan to the maximum 26⅓ years to life in state prison Friday for the murder of 20-year-old Kaylin Gillis outside his home, calling the shotgun-wielding homeowner an unremorseful and dishonest killer capable of repeating his ghastly crime.

Rot buddy, rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Took it in Los Angeles public, qualified for everything but nuke.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had to take it in Rhode Island. I aced everything but mechanical engineering which was pretty funny.

Dodging recruiter calls for the next like year was not.

Actually, I guess I don't know if it was mandatory, but nobody certainly said it was optional.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Was the ASVAB mandatory for some of you? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of the thing.

No. Texas public school at turn of century. Totally optional.

Assuming not a fake image, it takes a special kind of dumb to keep yourself out of the military.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I took it because I wanted to enlist instead of being an officer (I was in college) :downs:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also talking with a friend who's an optometrist and he's taking this week off because he's going to be completely slammed next week because of the eclipse.

So you know, don't stare at the sun folks.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hiked Powell Butte today with some friends & my housemate's dog since they're in Wyoming. Does that count?

My phone is also full of photos of me trying to get my dog to look at the stupid device I’m always staring at instead of feeding him treats

I also didn’t have to take the ASVAB in NC. From what I can see there is no legal requirement for taking it, but I am sure a bunch of schools just force everyone to do so because it’s easier than managing who has opted in or out.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Today I replaced the kitchen faucet. Not an extraordinary home repair, not even really plumbing, but god drat that old faucet nut was a 3-hour chore. 4 rounds of WD-40 and the purchase of a BASIN WRENCH, and its off.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
the only thing I know about the military in the UK from when we had the contract to fix their printers is that they all hosed off for the week on Friday lunchtime, a fact we absolutely didn't share with our schedulers. So if we were given a call to go to a barracks at 2pm on a Friday it was a cue to go home because we weren't getting in to fix anything

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I once had to ask a plumber that was at my place for something else to remove a hose from the front faucet. It was emasculating but I could NOT get that fucker off.

When the plumber with his big ol bunch of tools practically gave up himself before finally breaking it free I felt vindicated a bit. It was clear I wasn't ever getting it done. I think it might have been on there for several decades before I moved in

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Also talking with a friend who's an optometrist and he's taking this week off because he's going to be completely slammed next week because of the eclipse.

So you know, don't stare at the sun folks.

:freep: If we don’t stare at the sun, the communists terrorists Democrats woke media wins :freep:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Same when I was disassembling the fittings to the leaky T/P valve, I got the thing off easy enough then had 2 2” extension pipes off the old valve that had all welded themselves together. Finally got that zerker rage going enough they finally cracked apart. Hands didn’t work right for days

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

kiimo posted:

I once had to ask a plumber that was at my place for something else to remove a hose from the front faucet. It was emasculating but I could NOT get that fucker off.

When the plumber with his big ol bunch of tools practically gave up himself before finally breaking it free I felt vindicated a bit. It was clear I wasn't ever getting it done. I think it might have been on there for several decades before I moved in

I briefly thought about putting red loctite on the new faucet nut just to pay it forward to the next homeowner hehe

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ASVAP was mandatory here in AZ, or at least in my school, around 2000. I had thought about going into the Navy and trying to become a nuclear engineer long-term, so I gamed the test accordingly. Then decided to go to a state school since it’d be no cost to me without needing to commit to the military.

Re: plumbing, if you live in a high TDS area, yeah, calcium carbonate ends up being a bitch.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

Today I replaced the kitchen faucet. Not an extraordinary home repair, not even really plumbing, but god drat that old faucet nut was a 3-hour chore. 4 rounds of WD-40 and the purchase of a BASIN WRENCH, and its off.

Yeah I have a bin of weird-rear end tools I will probably never need to use again because of one off plumbing repairs. Had to buy some special wrench to disassemble our shower hardware to fix a leaking faucet. Different special wrench to fix leaking kitchen faucet. Etc etc. Normally I will take any excuse to buy fun tools but unless you are literally a plumber I dunno when you would use stuff like this more than a couple times in your life. Maybe I can give them to my kids in like 20 years when they have their own lovely homes to maintain :v:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

If you’ve got the water turned off though, remember to try and replace as many old multi-turn valves as you can with quarter-turns. You’ll thank yourself later.

Nov 6, 2002

fartknocker posted:

:freep: If we don’t stare at the sun, the communists terrorists Democrats woke media wins :freep:

Ok, no joke, but back in the 90's my mom listened to Limbaugh and I can distinctly remember him talking about an upcoming eclipse and that it was no big deal for everyone to stare at the sun for a little bit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Never forget:

2017 was an era ago.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I got talked into taking the ASVAB by a recruiter and a couple of my friends, there were definitely questions I 100% guessed on because they were about car engines or other poo poo that was specific trade type knowledge and I still got a 97 on it. I can't imagine what it takes to get below a 30. But I also suspect the Rittenhouse thing is fake

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

I got talked into taking the ASVAB by a recruiter and a couple of my friends, there were definitely questions I 100% guessed on because they were about car engines or other poo poo that was specific trade type knowledge and I still got a 97 on it. I can't imagine what it takes to get below a 30. But I also suspect the Rittenhouse thing is fake

It wouldn't surprise me if it's fake. It's a nice juicy bit of gossip that confirms very nicely with what your expectations would be from looking at him.

On the other hand, here's some more of the supposed paper trail:

https://twitter.com/chasinwhitecaps/status/1775215543345152056

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's fake. It's a nice juicy bit of gossip that confirms very nicely with what your expectations would be from looking at him.

On the other hand, here's some more of the supposed paper trail:

https://twitter.com/chasinwhitecaps/status/1775215543345152056

I mean, I can't decide if it's more or less likely that an individual's ASVAB would be subject to a FOIA request, because it's sorta personal information, but also, why the gently caress wouldn't it be?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Air Skwirl posted:

Some of you here are younger and maybe it's not mandatory anymore, or it's on a state to state basis how mandatory it is? I went to high school in Washington state. I probably took it in 2000 or early 2001, I find it a little hard to believe post war on terror the government doesn't want as many people as possible taking it though.

Also when I say I was good at the math section, don't mistake that for me actually being good at math it was a bunch of very simple math questions and multiple choice answers so it's like 12x7 and even if you don't know that, if you have a vague understanding of "well 10x7 is 70, only one of these choices is even close to that."

I graduated in 2001 and lived in Pierce County and I never had to take the asvab???

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I don’t think it’s specifically the ASVAP; I think it’s just they were looking for any history of military service, whether a military branch, a guard unit, etc. Maybe he himself had indicated he had been, or someone was just doing investigation.

Either way, I’d assume that the person who responded with more information and mentioned the ASVAP results, probably did it in order to really stress how unacceptable he was and/or there’s no way he’d ever have qualified for service.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ASVAB is not and never has been mandatory anywhere.

However, "Many students take the test while still in high school, as recruiters often encourage them to explore all career options, including those in the military. Schools that administer the test may do so without parental knowledge and, while it may seem mandatory, students may opt to decline the test. "
https://uniontestprep.com/asvab/resources/is-the-asvab-required

christ what a country we live in

e. https://www.npr.org/2010/07/30/128777298/looping-parents-in-on-armed-services-test

quote:

"They're able to give a test to 650,000 kids every year, and they do so largely without parental consent. I mean, 92 percent of the kids who took the test didn't have parental consent," Elder says.

And even though the ASVAB is a voluntary test, Elder says more than 1,000 schools require it. The Pentagon could not verify this or confirm whether the 92 percent figure is accurate.
This article is mostly about Maryland barring schools from automatically sending the test results to military recruiters. But the article also asserts that the whole "voluntary" nature of the test is pretty shaky given how many schools simply require students to take it anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 2, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Canned Sunshine posted:

I don’t think it’s specifically the ASVAP; I think it’s just they were looking for any history of military service, whether a military branch, a guard unit, etc. Maybe he himself had indicated he had been, or someone was just doing investigation.

Either way, I’d assume that the person who responded with more information and mentioned the ASVAP results, probably did it in order to really stress how unacceptable he was and/or there’s no way he’d ever have qualified for service.

You do need to score a minimum to join, I found that out trying to figure out where and when it was mandatory for school students to take. Looks like the major branches require a 31 but Coast Guard wants a 40 and Air National Guard wants a 50, which seems weird to me. As people who've taken said, it's really loving easy. I sorta wonder if it was just a basic reading skills issue, because it's timed and It's been suggested that everyone looking at their phone all the time has stunted literacy in the current generation. When I took it I probably had a flip-phone with no internet, half my friends did not and not out of being able to afford it, just not caring for one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Actually, thinking back I think it was less mandatory and more “if you’re at school you’re taking it.”

I phoned it in and was like top 1% because it was a loving joke.

Air Skwirl posted:

Air National Guard wants a 50, which seems weird to me.

You can’t be filling the ANG with poors and dummies—it’s a place for prep school fuckwads like W to dodge to draft or “serve in the armed forces” for their political campaign.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Android Apocalypse posted:

Never forget:

2017 was an era ago.

"🎼I'll stare directly at the sun, but never in the mirror:boom:"

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've never even heard of the ASVAB before

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Got Einstein home ok. You would never know he had surgery from the way he is acting, which is great because hooray dog is feeling great! But also bad because he is supposed to be on limited activity while he heals and he wants to run and play and jump. Anyway, as promised pics!

First, here is his imaging of his giant rear end tumor:

Here he is just chilling with cone of shame:

And here he is all sad that he doesn't get to go run around the yard with his sister:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"🎼I'll stare directly at the sun, but never in the mirror:boom:"

unless the photos are fake Trump seems to have dropped like 40 lbs recently

look how they massacred my boy

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Its Rinaldo posted:

I graduated in 2001 and lived in Pierce County and I never had to take the asvab???

Class of 2006 in king county and I did take the asvab and joined the Navy. In my high-school it was voluntary but facilitaed at the school. They announced when it was and if you wanted to take it you could. Nothing mandatory about it

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I took it in high school. I had friends take it twice to get a high enough score to get their MOS of preference.

I was with some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive in the Army. I have no idea how anyone could fail that test in a way that would bar them from service barring having an actual mental disability.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cut a path from my driveway to the top of the lower deck

now I just need to find a poo poo load o gravel and i'll be good to go.

going with landscaping timber to match paths that are already here. Gonna do some pebbles with big stepping stones.

broke two pickaxes clearing out roots! spaces in the right side are roots i'd need to whip out a chainsaw for and honestly they're probably just a strong.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 3, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

swickles posted:

Got Einstein home ok. You would never know he had surgery from the way he is acting, which is great because hooray dog is feeling great! But also bad because he is supposed to be on limited activity while he heals and he wants to run and play and jump. Anyway, as promised pics!

First, here is his imaging of his giant rear end tumor:

Here he is just chilling with cone of shame:

And here he is all sad that he doesn't get to go run around the yard with his sister:

I'm glad he's doing okay. :)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I spend too much time reading BWM thread and sometimes it pays off

https://twitter.com/101yds/status/1774846551317258379?s=20

This thread is pretty bleak

https://twitter.com/tiebartester/status/1774673889693475137

e:

also god drat do I want one of these now

https://twitter.com/tiebartester/status/1774869974621794721

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 3, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he should get that thing rebadged and turn it back into the Isuzu Faster it was born as

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's probably healthier for me in the long run, but man is it annoying that I can't read threads on Twitter without an account now. Threads on IG behaves the same way, also to my likely benefit. Nice truck though.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

It's probably healthier for me in the long run, but man is it annoying that I can't read threads on Twitter without an account now. Threads on IG behaves the same way, also to my likely benefit. Nice truck though.

Yeah, it’s annoying but in addition to being an unquestionable net positive for my mental health and wellbeing, I find petty spite is a perfectly valid reason to avoid getting an account, and if Elon’s gonna make it more difficult to read it’s just one more reason to avoid the cesspit entirely

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm in....the Florida alliance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m assuming the war is lost.

There's plenty of good bbq brisket in Texas. What Cornyn posted is not the good stuff.