Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dead in Thay has the logical end of that phylactery trading. Szass Tam keeps all of his subordinate Liches Phylacteries in a big vault. Them respawning in an area under his power gives him a lot of control over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Yusin posted:

Dead in Thay has the logical end of that phylactery trading. Szass Tam keeps all of his subordinate Liches Phylacteries in a big vault. Them respawning in an area under his power gives him a lot of control over them.

Something about eggs and baskets

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Outrail posted:

Something about eggs and baskets

Aren't his eggs.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Outrail posted:

You could use it to fire three darts to kill another prisoner or explode a vase or something to intimidate them.

You can't do the latter, actually. Magic missile specifies that the darts track creatures. This is actually another example of the exact same thing Valentin said. I've had a GM agree that it was lame and encourage me to spend slots to guarantee crack trick shots with magic missile in limited circumstances, but the spell as written is specifically and explicitly for dealing damage to enemies.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Finding mimics by trying to cast magic missle at random objects until the cast actually goes off >>>

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Caphi posted:

You can't do the latter, actually. Magic missile specifies that the darts track creatures. This is actually another example of the exact same thing Valentin said. I've had a GM agree that it was lame and encourage me to spend slots to guarantee crack trick shots with magic missile in limited circumstances, but the spell as written is specifically and explicitly for dealing damage to enemies.

I once had a DM let us use magic missile to blast rot grubs using this logic.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do we have any idea how long the Vecna campaign will be or should I just wait for reviews first? I want to run an interstitial game between campaigns but Tomb has taken us like 2 years so far and I don't know if my players will want to commit for another year-plus game before the next campaign we already talked about

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Supposed to for levels 10 to 20. Some of the chapters can apparently be run independently on their own.

More info will be useful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dexo posted:

Finding mimics by trying to cast magic missle at random objects until the cast actually goes off >>>

RAW the spell would just fizzle I think?

In any case this reminds me of recent Twitter Discourse about the design language being focused on combat. I think it'd be nice if there was more obvious leeway for combat spells and abilities to be useful outside of combat, somehow, for social encounters or puzzles, and vice versa.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I have a theme for a character and I want to confirm a few things.

Oath breaker paladin leaning heavy on the shadows theme. Level 5 lets me cast darkness on an object I hold, probably a helmet with an opening and closing eye just for the theme. Then blind fighting for combat style. If I understand correctly I get advantage on melee attacks and most enemies get disadvantage on me?

Also thinking about three levels in fighter for echo knight since the echo being my shadow feels cool and I like the flexibility the subclass gives to melee. Maybe four for another feat with one more level?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Are you starting your character at a set level, or building as you go?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Ahoy. Is there a guide for making your own playable species? (Beyond the variant X rules in one of the books.) I want to make frog guys who aren’t the “simple savages living in the rainforest who like getting ripped off by traders for useless baubles” or the “evil savages who like to try to summon satan” which are all I can really find. The forgotten realms wiki is a hell hole. Grippli and bullywug do NOT interact.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a shame because Graeme Barber tried to rewrite the Grippli as a more nuanced race for Candlekeep Mysteries, but apparently the extra stuff he wrote was cut. Around the time he said on twitter he was planning to put his version on DMGuild or possibly DrivethruRPG, but I can't find anything - his online handles are PanzerLion and POCGamer if that helps.

I found mentions of him talking about having done a revamp for Pathfinder which you might be able to tweak.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Are you starting your character at a set level, or building as you go?

Don't even have a game for the character, I'm currently DMing the campaign for friends and family. Just laying out the framework of the character and want to see if it works the way I think it does.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It would certainly be a pain to have as another player in a game unless everyone built for a darkness orb.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm playing the only character without darkvision and it kinda sucks. Until I can find something to give me see in the dark vision I'm basically blind 50% of the time

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Outrail posted:

I'm playing the only character without darkvision and it kinda sucks. Until I can find something to give me see in the dark vision I'm basically blind 50% of the time

Many adventuring kits have torches, or you could buy a lantern (maybe a hooded one if you need to put the light out for stealth), or see if anyone in the party has the Light cantrip and cast that on an object like a rock, bracelet, or necklace/amulet.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Outrail posted:

After a couple of adventures Velma-ing around, my GM took pity on me and left Goggles of Night in a dungeon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Many adventuring kits have torches, or you could buy a lantern (maybe a hooded one if you need to put the light out for stealth), or see if anyone in the party has the Light cantrip and cast that on an object like a rock, bracelet, or necklace/amulet.

The problem is everyone else has darkvision, my character can cast light at will that's not the issue. They always want to be in the dark. Probably because the DM doesn't enforce 'darkvision is low light, so you have disadvantage on your check' rules.

Mirage posted:

After a couple of adventures Velma-ing around, my GM took pity on me and left Goggles of Night in a dungeon.

Ya, I'm gonna try and find a pair when/if we ever get to a city.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 2, 2024

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Ahoy. Is there a guide for making your own playable species?

Short answer is no AFAIK. Slightly longer answer is that playable species really only matter for mechanical reasons (dark vision, resistances, ability to breathe underwater, etc) and there is nothing stopping you from taking an existing species and changing their goals/society/etc. You could totally play a frogperson using a Tiefling statblock if you wanted.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Harengon has good rules for hopping and Grung have tree frog rules, so you could possibly combine rules from the two and write your own fluff. Grung are also sick as hell at lower levels and if you buy them on D&D Beyond it goes to charity, so that also rules.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Outrail posted:

The problem is everyone else has darkvision, my character can cast light at will that's not the issue. They always want to be in the dark. Probably because the DM doesn't enforce 'darkvision is low light, so you have disadvantage on your check' rules.

That seems more like a conversation to have with the players. "Hey, my character can't see and is tired of being in the dark. I need to see and you aren't letting me, and I find that frustrating."

If I was in that game, I would be casting light if I wanted to not be stumbling in the dark. See if your DM will let you get away with casting Light on an small object like a stick or piece of straw, then sticking it into an opaque container to make a flashlight which has a limited cone of vision, so it's less visible.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you cast the Astral Projection spell, do you just appear in the Astral Sea randomly? There's nothing in the spell description about determining a location so like, do you just pop in and float around until you might find something cool?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If you're the only player without darkvision and it's (in your opinion) loving things up, you could try and ask your DM if your player can find out in-game about the goggles of night. They don't need attunement and are uncommon rarity, so it's fairly reasonable that either your PC or someone who has a 13/14 passive arcana would know about them if the subject comes up.

They could make it a fun little sidequest to acquire them, notice another NPC wearing them, or make it an-in game joke that the other PCs knew about them but didn't want to say anything in case it was ableist or something.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

change my name posted:

If you cast the Astral Projection spell, do you just appear in the Astral Sea randomly? There's nothing in the spell description about determining a location so like, do you just pop in and float around until you might find something cool?

Just treat it like Plane Shift. If you know a location in the Astral Sea you go to that location. Otherwise its up to the DM to resolve it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It doesn't really matter because, getting anywhere in the astral plane is just a function of thinking about it a lot. Time and space dont really have a clear relationship there except at very small scales

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

homeless snail posted:

It doesn't really matter because, getting anywhere in the astral plane is just a function of thinking about it a lot. Time and space dont really have a clear relationship there except at very small scales

New adventure hook: an archmage puts you in an astral dream circle to explore the plane and your projections immediately get splattered aboard a passing spelljammer and you're captured, Animorphs-style

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you're the only player without darkvision and it's (in your opinion) loving things up, you could try and ask your DM if your player can find out in-game about the goggles of night. They don't need attunement and are uncommon rarity, so it's fairly reasonable that either your PC or someone who has a 13/14 passive arcana would know about them if the subject comes up.

They could make it a fun little sidequest to acquire them, notice another NPC wearing them, or make it an-in game joke that the other PCs knew about them but didn't want to say anything in case it was ableist or something.

I've got an easier option for the DM: The character is going on a celebratory blackout bender (with or without the rest of the party) and wakes up with all of his gold gone, the goggles and and whatever Hangover inspired plothook you need to push the story forward at a later date.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Outrail posted:

celebratory blackout bender

That's exactly what we're trying to avoid!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's weird there's a light cantrip but no dark vision cantrip.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Just roleplay your character tripping around and banging around poo poo all the time walking around with your arms out like Frankenstein trying to feel your surroundings. A session or two of that and I bet a solution from the DM falls right into your lap.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

It's weird there's a light cantrip but no dark vision cantrip.

That’s cause Darkvision is a second level spell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yusin posted:

That’s cause Darkvision is a second level spell.

That's so bizarre. It really shouldn't be.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Definitely looking to spend my 2nd level spell slot on Darkvision. There really isn’t that much competition.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

That's so bizarre. It really shouldn't be.

I mean it's objectively pretty great. Advantage is hugely powerful and enemies don't gwt to save against it like with faerie fire because it is a buff on you not a debuff on them.

Really it should be much rarer but nobody wants to pay boring hairless round eared apes any more

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Really it should be much rarer but nobody wants to pay boring hairless round eared apes any more

It's true. My group waited too long to get around to Curse of Strahd, now we're fully reached the experimentation phase and there's a fairy, a harengon, and a satyr walking around Barovia.
Humans and gnomes and stuff are cool too! Sometimes!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Variant Human is still laughing in a corner by themselves… peasants.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I was gonna say variant human is pretty sick

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TheBizzness posted:

I was gonna say variant human is pretty sick

It’s basically the custom lineage, which unfortunately I’ve taken to playing for pretty much every character since it can be whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The dark vision cantrip is called Dancing Lights youre welcome