Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I finally cleaned up my workspace a bit cause it was looking like my hobbying took place in a dump, and tbh it was so off-putting that I haven't been modeling because of it. Now that it's clean I'm hoping this week I'll finish up a huge batch of projects, like my skirted centurion Iron Warrior who may or may not act as a Techpriest/Warpsmith, an Onager Dunecrawler base, 10x Night Lords, and maybe I'll have enough time to finish 10x Alpha Legion marines (although I still need to find an easy way to sculpt scales on their armor).

Because I keep failing to finish projects, I decided to place one final order before calling it quits on buying stuff. This pile of shame is killing me so I absolutely will not order anything else until my current armies are fully built and painted.

The final new stuff is basically all for my Iron Warriors/Dark Mechanicum force.
First we got some big bipedal dudes to round out my big model obsession:
  • Mechanicum Domitar Battle-automata
  • Iron Circle’ Domitar-Ferrum Battle-automata
  • Ballistus Dreadnought

Then I got the following weapons to throw on my Capitol Imperialis vehicle so I can finish up that project:
  • Whirlwind Hyperios upgrade
  • Legion Sicaran Arcus Strike Tank Upgrade
  • Deimos Pattern Damocles Command Rhino Upgrade

I got a single Imperial Fists Decurion Sagittarius dude which I'll convert to an Iron Warrior and then slap on a tank I got from an Archon Studios terrain kickstarter I backed in 2019 (I also still have to paint all that terrain :argh:)

Lastly I bought a single Apothecary Biologis because I figure I need a generic apothecary to pair with all these various marine factions I have. I'll need to figure out how to give him a bit of character without associating anything too much with one Legion over another so it should be interesting. I planned on using him for both Chaos and Imperial forces so it'll be an interesting needle to thread.

I sure hope my airbrush will work after soaking the metal bits in isopropyl for the last two months! Cause I'm going to need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

E2M2 posted:

of snagging one if we go at open?

Depends on how busy your store is - but really good IMO.

My local one does solid business, and I'm still often able to get the free figure the following Monday or Tuesday.

If you're there when they open, you're pretty much guaranteed one - with the caveat that is GW and nothing is guaranteed.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I just found out my best friend had a bunch of stuff he was trying to sell at a local store in Riverside stolen. And that's on top of the store absolutely lowballing his giant trade in.

Pretty upsetting tbh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

Has anyone 3rd Party made replacement guns for Desoltaors? I watched a few YT games where they performed well, but I would never want to paint those models

I bought a set of Horus Heresy missile launchers and stuck em on primaris bodies and works 4 me

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Professor Shark posted:

Has anyone 3rd Party made replacement guns for Desoltaors? I watched a few YT games where they performed well, but I would never want to paint those models

Conversion rather than a replacement, but this might be what your looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7l0ih0Np0

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Demilich posted:

I just found out my best friend had a bunch of stuff he was trying to sell at a local store in Riverside stolen. And that's on top of the store absolutely lowballing his giant trade in.

Pretty upsetting tbh

Did you know Riverside is the most common town name in the US? There are like 46 of them.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

True. I'm talking about the one with the largest population in the US though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

Did you know Riverside is the most common town name in the US? There are like 46 of them.

it used to be midriver but all of those got washed away

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Demilich posted:

True. I'm talking about the one with the largest population in the US though.

CA? I was born and raised.

I didn't even know there were any local game stores left.

Hatedad
Dec 2, 2020

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Any of y'all ever play on TTS?

Also, any chance any of y'all would be interested in getting a little goon league going for 40k?

This is how I've been primarily playing 40k lately. My wife and I play a lil weekly 2000 point game, then refine our lists to beat each other the next week without having to drop serious $$$/painting hours.

I'd love to play a few pickup games every once in a while, is there a SA 40k Discord or anything to plan something like that?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

3 Action Economist posted:

CA? I was born and raised.

I didn't even know there were any local game stores left.

Yeah. I didn't even know they're were any myself, but in my defense I'm a few counties over.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Hatedad posted:

This is how I've been primarily playing 40k lately. My wife and I play a lil weekly 2000 point game, then refine our lists to beat each other the next week without having to drop serious $$$/painting hours.

I'd love to play a few pickup games every once in a while, is there a SA 40k Discord or anything to plan something like that?

https://discord.gg/T7BPx7Ub

Just created this Discord. I'll put some work into it later.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBf-Nwhm3KQ

Today I learned that DragonForce released a track called Space Marine Corps recently.

Here's the opening lyrics:

There's even a Blood Ravens namedrop in there and a mention of Primaris Marines.
Not gonna lie, the song is really weak but it's hilarious to see the 40k references worn on its sleeve.

Jeez that was such a disappointing album, DragonForce just isn't the same these days.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I have a suspicion that Sabaton have been stealthily writing songs about 40K for a while, specifically about the Night Lords.

Night Child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjCB8pRJ_QE

Thundergods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15O9ZKo29eo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are old paints completely, utterly worthless? if they've dried up, is there any method of saving them, "re-liquiding" them or something? I've got a bunch including a Mega Paint Kit from back when I used to play, but a lot of them are dried up(the ill-fated screw-caps) or at best goopy. if they're somehow salvageable, I want to sell them, and if they're not salvageable, I want to chuck them. or at least get the paint out and maybe sell the old style paint pots, if people would want those. think I have some of those old Citadel Inks they used to make, too, the ones that are just super watery.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

are old paints completely, utterly worthless? if they've dried up, is there any method of saving them, "re-liquiding" them or something? I've got a bunch including a Mega Paint Kit from back when I used to play, but a lot of them are dried up(the ill-fated screw-caps) or at best goopy. if they're somehow salvageable, I want to sell them, and if they're not salvageable, I want to chuck them. or at least get the paint out and maybe sell the old style paint pots, if people would want those. think I have some of those old Citadel Inks they used to make, too, the ones that are just super watery.

If they're hard or rubbery, they're gone.

If they're goopy you can probably reconstitute them with some water and acrylic medium.

Lahmian medium is the best for this but considering how much it costs you're probably better off buying new paint if you have to rely on it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I'm quite fond of Chaos Space Marine by Black Country, New Road. It's different from the usual metal offerings :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqy6WPSfZSA

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think I've posted this before but this album is some of the funniest 40k metal just because it's so insanely overt and probably violates copyright with their logo and album title.

Other random not-Bolt Thrower 40kish stuff that's both good and cool
Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity
Chainsword - Born Triumphant
Baneblade - Traitor Hymns
Evertale - The Great Brotherwar
Debauchery - Rage of the Bloodbeast

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I think by far the best soundtrack that truly embodies 40k to me is the Darktide OST done by Jesper Kyd.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Al-Saqr posted:

I think by far the best soundtrack that truly embodies 40k to me is the Darktide OST done by Jesper Kyd.

"Disposal Unit" is such a basic name for such an absolute banger of a song. The OST really nails the sound of a Imperial Hive.
https://youtu.be/ZnOREzwYYP0?si=iHtbxoVz0fvfoGcA

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Since we're on the topic of 40k music, Bolt Thrower enjoyers will probably like Chainsword, which is a shameless Bolt Thrower worship band.

How shameless? From their Spotify bio:

Chainsword posted:

since Bolt Thrower is not playing anymore we thought it is safe now to release a second album and not get sued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97okpR4VgY

Can anyone recognize the sample in the beginning of this song? It's obviously a 40k thing talking about titans, but I can't place it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

The Mechanicus and Neceomunda Hired Gun OSTs are also Excel

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Geisladisk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97okpR4VgY

Can anyone recognize the sample in the beginning of this song? It's obviously a 40k thing talking about titans, but I can't place it.

Pretty sure it's from Epic 40k: final liberation

EDIT: yup, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbKTrgjPSI

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Because I am a slave to plastic, and am approaching completion of my 1000 point Iron Warriors list (squad of 5 chosen left to go!), I am looking ahead to what a second army would look like. I'm pretty tired of metallics and dark schemes, so I'd like some bright and colorful, combat focused, non-horde, and with the abilities take an Inquisitor and a squad of weirdos for kitbashing purposes. This has lead me to Blood Angels, in either a retro red-orange color scheme or perhaps Atlantean Spears or Lamenters successor chapters.

How viable are Blood Angels without Dante/Mephiston/Sanguinor? I'm thinking jump pack captain/troops with a storm speeder and a dreadnought, squad of death company, plus Inquisitor and retinue.

Plays totally different to my current army and has a nice mix of different paint schemes and modelling opportunities. Thoughts?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mephiston leading a squad of 10 Death Company with Jump Packs and Power Fists + Inferno Pistols is the backbone of any Blood Angels army right now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Eej posted:

Mephiston leading a squad of 10 Death Company with Jump Packs and Power Fists + Inferno Pistols is the backbone of any Blood Angels army right now.

Mephiston can't lead Death Company of either sort, or any other good melee unit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woops, I was thinking of Lemartes.

Mephiston can't lead DC, he can instead sit in an Impulsor with 5 Assault Intercessors and ruin the day of anyone sitting on an objective. Not as good as a Captain on their Go Turn but still pretty good.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I see that Death Company Intercessors are a thing but looks like the datasheet for Death Company with Jump Packs is still firstborn style. Any foreseeable issues using the new models for this unit?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
The rules that make them good will come and go, you should collect the army you think is rad and enjoy the good times with the bad

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

40k music chat: I unironcially love Noise Marines by D-Rok, despite (because of) how cheesy it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1wSSZ-iFs

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvsExvmIl8

No idea how this wasn't posted. I played a lot of Chaos Gate, this is the sound of 40k to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Captain Invictus posted:

Goopy paints can often be revived with acrylic medium or distilled water (it doesn't have to be distilled but it's best). If they have hardened to where they are actually solid or rubbery (basically, if you poke them and don't come away with paint) they are dead and you should throw them out.

Honestly I would hesitate to sell recovered paints without letting people know, because sometimes they don't come back the same way, depending on the pigment. I don't think anyone wants the old pots because, as you found out, they are extremely poo poo for storing paint in.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Most of my citadel pots close okay but brass scorpion and any red can just suck it, gently caress them

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

"Disposal Unit" is such a basic name for such an absolute banger of a song. The OST really nails the sound of a Imperial Hive.
https://youtu.be/ZnOREzwYYP0?si=iHtbxoVz0fvfoGcA

you can't fool me, this is just feeding aluminum cans into a garbage disposal backed by a chorus

Super Waffle posted:

Because I am a slave to plastic, and am approaching completion of my 1000 point Iron Warriors list (squad of 5 chosen left to go!), I am looking ahead to what a second army would look like. I'm pretty tired of metallics and dark schemes, so I'd like some bright and colorful, combat focused, non-horde, and with the abilities take an Inquisitor and a squad of weirdos for kitbashing purposes.

I just want to point out that this description covers all of the non-Iron-Warriors-themed CSM crap. A dark commune is great as an open-ended kitbash prompt, possessed and accursed cultists can work with any color scheme, a dark inquisitor would work as like half of the CSM characters (including the DC leader), etc.

Assuming you want an actual inquisitor, I feel I should warn you that most inquisitor datasheets are bad. Kyria Draxis has a place in a unit that benefits from her 18" pseudo-lone op aura. Greyfax is okay if you can smuggle her into a battleline that has dev wounds shooting somehow. The others are jank or junk, especially the generic one in an inquisitorial bodyguard, because that means you can only get a CP refund on using generic stratagems.

I think BA mainly run generic SM jump units with sang priests (who gently caress) except for maybe a jump DC unit with Lemartes. DC without Lemartes are just whatever and Sang Guard cost a trillion points. Baal preds with all flamers are silly underpriced too.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Kyria Draxus shoots hard as hell with Custodian Guard. Rerolling 1s to Wound (or just Wounds) and shoot twice once per game? Hell yeah.

Custodians are also the least horde-y and can be as colorful as you want, plus they always have room for imperium weirdos.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

You all know a good white model paint? My experience with citadel paints has been mostly good, but i'm getting tired of corax white's bullshit. And unfortunately I need to use it a lot because my past self made my admech's primary color scheme green/white with silver/brass metal.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

sharkmafia posted:

You all know a good white model paint? My experience with citadel paints has been mostly good, but i'm getting tired of corax white's bullshit. And unfortunately I need to use it a lot because my past self made my admech's primary color scheme green/white with silver/brass metal.

If you aremt already, use really light grey instead of white. Vallejo Sky Grey reads as white but goes on 100 times easier than corax white

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sharkmafia posted:

ProAcryl Bold Titanium White is the best white paint on the market

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sharkmafia posted:

If you really need pure white (and not very light cold grey), Liquitex Titanium White. Ink, Soft Body, and Heavy Body are all good. For anything that's a single pure pigment, artist/professional acrylics are cheaper per unit and all excellent (except for the ones that have retardants to emulate oil-paint drying times, like Golden Open.)

I would also expect any current-gen hobbyist acrylic white to be good. New VGC, AK 3rd Gen, Two Thin Coats, Pro Acryl, Scale75, and Army Painter Fanatic are all lines that are now as good or better than Citadel these days, and either for the same price or cheaper.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

paperface posted:

40k music chat: I unironcially love Noise Marines by D-Rok, despite (because of) how cheesy it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE1wSSZ-iFs

To add to music chat, the OST for the Owlcat Rogue Trader game has plenty of absolute bangers in it. I think Scions of Lorgar is a very popular one for its placing in the game (six squishy humans getting rocked up on by Word Bearer and collectively poo poo their pants, but are absolutely shocked when they manage to kill it) but things like Semper Servientes (main title theme) and Wrath of the Lost (specific encounters that include Eldar) really nail the 'vibe' of 40k.

Here's Hanged Man's Lot, which is the fight music for encounters on Footfall station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EBuYeICs-U

sharkmafia posted:

This is where I'm heading when it comes to 'white' these days. Which is to say do what OctaMurk says and don't paint white, use light gray and highlight things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APwVOAzwUqg

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 4, 2024