Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Executives just shrugging their shoulders and looking confused during the scene where Scully gets a tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Gillian Anderson wanted to get the tattoo for real, but production asked her not to because it would take too long to heal and, of course, please don't do that for this lovely episode.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I would be shocked if this actually comes out, but this quote kind of blew my mind:

Like I know the 90s had some really hosed up ideas about beauty and sex appeal but those executives were insane.

I mean, I could see them saying this in the beginning but what does it matter? She became a huge sex symbol and remains so even today. Knowing what we know now, think about the executives at Fox back then.

I AM GRANDO posted:

On the one hand, the way they had her dressed was kind of dowdy. On the other hand, they made her do a strip tease in the pilot. I wonder if that scene was to placate the executives.

She is dressed horribly in her 1st few scenes.

The pilot also has her in bed with a guy when Mulder calls her at night. This was cut out and I think the boyfriend may get one other brief mention a few eps later and is then dropped.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Feeling like we're getting a bit foggy about Fox TV in the 90's. They were breaking boundaries the other channels were not.

Yes, Fox News is absolute garbage, but the TV station used to be very very different, than the news channel, and all the other broadcast channels.

I mean, that's the reason X-Files was there in the first place, and not off in the syndication space like many sci fi shows of the era.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
People forget Fox wasn't the right-wing channel, it was the fuckin' WEIRD channel. Sure, all the jokes about them that I can remember were from shows ON that network, but they mostly boiled down to "Fox will show any old garbage". For me, Fox used to be cartoons and the Simpsons and if you were to tell 8yo me that it would evolve into being the Nazi Adjacent Channel... I'd have asked you what "adjacent" meant.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zesty posted:

Gillian Anderson wanted to get the tattoo for real, but production asked her not to because it would take too long to heal and, of course, please don't do that for this lovely episode.

jodie foster is so good in that episode too

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

redshirt posted:

Feeling like we're getting a bit foggy about Fox TV in the 90's. They were breaking boundaries the other channels were not.

lol Fox News would have a heart attack if Married With Children was a new show.

My interpretation is that that Fox had Kelly Bundy tastes but only a Gillian Anderson budget.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

lol Fox News would have a heart attack if Married With Children was a new show.

My interpretation is that that Fox had Kelly Bundy tastes but only a Gillian Anderson budget.

That might have been Fox News's first synergy: Bitching about Fox TV's the Simpsons and Married with Children.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

redshirt posted:

Yes, Fox News is absolute garbage, but the TV station used to be very very different, than the news channel, and all the other broadcast channels.

I mean, that's the reason X-Files was there in the first place, and not off in the syndication space like many sci fi shows of the era.

Exactly. Regardless of what happened in later episodes, it's the first tv show that I remember where the main characters weren't involved with each other and their attractiveness was not a plot point at all. All the other garbage on TV was sitcoms and soap operas (Melrose Place, 90210, Baywatch).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you're going to reboot an old Fox show, do Warewolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-QTvowyHU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gravitee posted:

Exactly. Regardless of what happened in later episodes, it's the first tv show that I remember where the main characters weren't involved with each other and their attractiveness was not a plot point at all. All the other garbage on TV was sitcoms and soap operas (Melrose Place, 90210, Baywatch).

Was Xfiles running against those shows in its timeslot?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

When it aired on Sundays it was probably up against popular stuff.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Poohs Packin posted:

I mainly watch xfiles for the 90s FBI motor pool vehicles at this point
It's Dodge Caravan this time!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Have we talked about what Skinner wears? It's like a JC Penny fashion show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Skinner's Tighty Whiteys

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I like that they threw Skinner an X-File of his own every now and then.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

X files, a notoriously unpopular show.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Two shows can be popular at the same time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Yeah not really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996%E2%80%9397_United_States_network_television_schedule

ABC and NBC had their Sunday night movie. CBS does the same the next year. I can't recall any of those movies but it was probably some edited feature or a made-for-TV something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_United_States_network_television_schedule

Fox is just unbeatable on Sunday nights. Plus they can promote the hell out of their shows during Football. NBC would have dominated with their Thursday night line up around this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%9399_United_States_network_television_schedule

Here comes Millionaire. Survivor will debut in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_United_States_network_television_schedule

During the last season they were up against Law and Order. Not a bad run.

Let's not forget the solid run that HBO also had on Sunday's. Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On Fridays they were up against TGIF and Burke’s Law, neither of which I think of as lasting very far into the 90s.

EDIT: Burke’s Law only existed in the 90s. I’m way off.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Originally it was on at Friday nights at 9pm which is a very very poor time slot (after Briscoe County Junior!) and despite being in the time slot of death, it succeeded and eventually moved to Sunday nights. So it wasn't up against Melrose or 90210, I just meant that those were the popular shows at the time and the X-Files was a very different vibe. The success of Twin Peaks was the only other thing I can think of which was in the same realm.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love the rough edge on those early seasons. It’s not as good when they’re not straining to afford a single train car explosion.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Gravitee posted:

Originally it was on at Friday nights at 9pm which is a very very poor time slot (after Briscoe County Junior!) and despite being in the time slot of death, it succeeded and eventually moved to Sunday nights. So it wasn't up against Melrose or 90210, I just meant that those were the popular shows at the time and the X-Files was a very different vibe. The success of Twin Peaks was the only other thing I can think of which was in the same realm.

I remember Married with Children had the Sunday 9-10pm slot for a season or two. Then they gave that slot to the X-Files, moved Married to 7pm on Sunday and cancelled it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bonzo posted:

I remember Married with Children had the Sunday 9-10pm slot for a season or two. Then they gave that slot to the X-Files, moved Married to 7pm on Sunday and cancelled it.

They should of just shared the slot. Have the Bundy's joint the fbi and work on the x-files.

Would of been the perfect show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

As in he wears too much clothes? :hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
He's Walter Skinner, not Walter Clothesner

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I missed the second ep of the two parter where Mulder was stuck in a train buried in the desert with a bunch of alien bodies. How did he get out alive?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Outpost22 posted:

I missed the second ep of the two parter where Mulder was stuck in a train buried in the desert with a bunch of alien bodies. How did he get out alive?

Hid himself under the bodies but still got all hosed up and some native Americans nursed him back to health and he had a spiritual journey while in a magical coma.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Another X file could walk through walls and saved him

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a later episode about a guy who does that but can't do glass and he gets hit by car and trisected.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Well we may still see Scully yet again...

https://tvline.com/news/gillian-anderson-the-x-files-reboot-ryan-coogler-scully-return-1235195940/

Also which one of you wrote this:
https://www.indiewire.com/news/general-news/gillian-anderson-wasnt-sexy-enough-x-files-executives-1234970129/

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 3, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

If only Muldur had made friends with more of the x-files monsters not enemies, maybe they would of come to his aid more often.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was loving outraged

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Outpost22 posted:

It's a three-parter

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Truth is on the Last Page

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Someone on Reddit suggested that she come back as the Director of the FBI, since Mulder(?) once said he expected to see her in the role one day. Plus then she could show up as much or as little as she liked, given how important her job would be. I like that, and hope to see it.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m watching the show (again) with my kids. I watched it originally when it aired and my sister and I were obsessed with it back then. We’re on Season 4 right now, somewhere in the middle. Random thoughts so far:

Episode that scared the kids the most: Squeeze

Kids’ favorite episode: The sidesshow one (I forgot the name)

Overall best episode: Clyde Buckman’s Final Repose. This has edged out Jose Chung as my favorite episode during this viewing. Every character is just so charming. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but sometimes Mulder comes off as a dick and Scully as a pretentious loser. In this episode, they feel like the perfect essence of each character and I just like them more. Plus, Peter Boyle is great and the mystery is fun and clever.

Overall worst episode: Any lovely ‘ethnic’ episode. Or most episodes with Chris Carter as co-writer. Especially, any episodes with Chris Carter writing where we get Scully or Mulder reading their word-salad diary out loud.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chris Carter ponderous monologues are so bad. They’re indistinguishable from parody.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

newts posted:

I’m watching the show (again) with my kids. I watched it originally when it aired and my sister and I were obsessed with it back then. We’re on Season 4 right now, somewhere in the middle. Random thoughts so far:

Episode that scared the kids the most: Squeeze

Kids’ favorite episode: The sidesshow one (I forgot the name)

Overall best episode: Clyde Buckman’s Final Repose. This has edged out Jose Chung as my favorite episode during this viewing. Every character is just so charming. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but sometimes Mulder comes off as a dick and Scully as a pretentious loser. In this episode, they feel like the perfect essence of each character and I just like them more. Plus, Peter Boyle is great and the mystery is fun and clever.

Overall worst episode: Any lovely ‘ethnic’ episode. Or most episodes with Chris Carter as co-writer. Especially, any episodes with Chris Carter writing where we get Scully or Mulder reading their word-salad diary out loud.

OP IMO the worst episode is the Scully religious crisis episode because it sucked every bit of rear end possible and then got ignored

Also OP what did the kids think of the Stephen King possessed doll episode, the vampire episode I love “Bad Blood”, the Cerulean Blue arc, idk I will post others but I’m curious!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I AM GRANDO posted:

Chris Carter ponderous monologues are so bad. They’re indistinguishable from parody.