Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FF7 is a dog person game, which is why everyone loves Red and hates Cait Sith.

Even Rufus loves his weird mutant dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Every Final Fantasy game can be thought of as a dog game, bunny game, or a cat game. In this 2 hour youtube video essay I will be categorizing each mainline FF game accordingly.

I ???
II Cat game
III ???
IV Bunny game
V ???
VI Dog game
VII Dog game
IX ???
X Cat game
XI Cat game
XII Bunny game
XIII ???
XIV Cat game
XV ???
XVI Dog game

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Bro it's literally a cat person for the main character in ix

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
IX was a rat game.

New rat game, please.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Bro it's literally a cat person for the main character in ix

Wait, Zidane is a cat? I always thought he was supposed to be a monkey boy. Then again, it has been a LONG time since I played through IX.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
He monke.

If I remember right he even hangs from his tail a few times.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Put me in the "I thought Zidane was a monkey" category.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Every Final Fantasy game can be thought of as a dog game, bunny game, or a cat game. In this 2 hour youtube video essay I will be categorizing each mainline FF game accordingly.

I Jack Game
II Cat game
III Onion Game
IV Bunny game
V Cat Game (Krile Pajamas)
VI Dog game
VII Dog game
VIII Dog game (Angelo)
IX Monkey Game
X Cat game
XI Cat game
XII Bunny game
XIII Cat Game (Meow Meow Choco Chow)
XIV Cat game
XV Dog Game (time traveling doggo)
XVI Dog game

Fixed

Rhonne posted:

Wait, Zidane is a cat? I always thought he was supposed to be a monkey boy. Then again, it has been a LONG time since I played through IX.

He's a Saiyan so monkey.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

FF7 is a dog person game, which is why everyone loves Red and hates Cait Sith.

Even Rufus loves his weird mutant dog.

I like to think his dog is actually one of the Test 0 dogs and they talk to each other behind the scenes

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

No one's even noticed that I left off FFVIII.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I like to think his dog is actually one of the Test 0 dogs and they talk to each other behind the scenes

It's gonna be sad when the dog dies protecting Rufus from getting vaporized by Diamond Weapon.

Rosalind posted:

No one's even noticed that I left off FFVIII.

Very clearly a dog game, you even use one as a cannon!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually love the canonical way Rufus survived.

A younger Rufus told his father "You should really install an escape system or something in case the tower gets attacked" and President Shinra's response was to laugh and make fun of him and eventually he did install it but he named it the "L is for LOSER" button because Rufus Shinra is a dumb stupid baby loser.

Which, of course, could have saved President Shinra's life when Sephiroth showed up and did save Rufus' life when Diamond Weapon attacked, but he had to literally trigger the LOSER button his dad installed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Please let that be true

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Please let that be true

Yep, 100% accurate.

I googled and here is the Wiki summary of the event if you want:

quote:

When Rufus was five years old, President Shinra showed Rufus blueprints of the renovation plans for the executive office. Rufus proposed the idea of a secret escape route in case of an attack on the Shinra Building. Although he found the notion of escape to be absurd in the face of Shinra's power, President Shinra reluctantly agreed to install one, claiming he was doing so for Rufus's sake, and labeled the switch mechanism for the escape route with the letter "L" for "Loser".

Extra bonus points for him bullying a 5 year old.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wedge is a cat person and he dies horribly, Rufus is a dog person and survived.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Wedge is a cat person and he dies horribly, Rufus is a dog person and survived.

Wedge's cats survived, which is what he desired. Rufus... will lose his dog.

ImpAtom posted:

Extra bonus points for him bullying a 5 year old.

Prez Shinra really just starting that relationship off just right

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The remakes still kill Aerith but they’ll save Rufus’ dog

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

The remakes still kill Aerith but they’ll save Rufus’ dog

We'll get an epilouge scene where a recovering Rufus decides to turn over a new leaf and begins by letting his dog go free.

I mean, letting a horrible mutant dog loose in the wilds is probably an awful idea, but it's the thought that counts.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The dog is nanakis new wife post credits

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
This is more hope than anything, but I think it'd be neat if the meta aspects of Remake and Rebirth and Aerith still dying is leading towards the final game having plot beats that bring her back to life in a way that pays homage to the many urban legends that cropped up in the 90s. The potential timeline split where Cloud deflected the sword, Zack still being alive, and the empty white materia Aerith gave Cloud combined with the lore of the Gi making the black materia by filling an empty materia with emotions all feels like stuff that could add up to something like that. Answering the decades long fan desire of saving Aerith by making the whole "revive Aerith in disc 3" thing real seems like a cooler way of doing it than just saving her from getting stabbed. That's a moment they still clearly wanted to keep in some capacity and it makes sense to keep that in for the ending of the second game so it can be the trilogy's darkest point.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ImpAtom posted:

Fixed

He's a Saiyan so monkey.

Angelo does not make FFVIII a dog game. Griever makes FFVIII a cat game. As homework, please relisten to "Maybe I'm a Lion".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Angelo does not make FFVIII a dog game. Griever makes FFVIII a cat game. As homework, please relisten to "Maybe I'm a Lion".

Angelo is for sure a dog, whereas "Maybe a lion" indicates the possibility of not being a lion.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Clarste posted:

Barret's thing kind of makes sense if you think of mako as a metaphor for nuclear instead of fossil fuels, but that also makes it really dumb.

It's not really that dumb - it is dumb, but it's logical for dumb premises - at the time it was made. Mako was originally very unsubtly intended to be seen as nuclear power, because this was the 90s and 90s environmentalism was aggressively anti-nuclear due to the aftermath of Chernobyl and association with nuclear weapons, along with everything else about it that was a sort of unpleasant vaguely anprim degrowth ideology. There's a reason modern environmentalism has a pretty big split between pro-growth, pro-green technology high-density types, who are the more modern sort, and the old-fashioned "environmentalism means we'll let go of our modern creature comforts, feed ourselves with farmers' markets and live simple pastoral lives in harmony with nature" NIMBY no-development fears-of-population bomb types that were much more dominant in the 90s.

Mako reactors look pretty overtly like nuclear reactors. Making (unsustainable, clearly some harmonious use of the Lifestream is possible given the Cetra built their civilization on it) Mako use more explicitly about fossil fuels and how vulture capitalism corrupts even good intentions rather than nuclear power is one of those very necessary updates.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 2, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I agree that Sephiroth is loving with Cloud to drink all the sadness juice, but I think it's going to come back and bite him. He's definitely creating new pockets of, or whole realities to do it. He says so when he shows off his nasty works. So in creating this apparently extra sad scenario for Cloud I think he's created Epic Aerith. She's going to wreck his rear end in another cool scene where your hp/mp restore after a hard close-up on her hair tie.

The reality where Cloud deflects the blow could also be unintentional by Sephiroth. He's opened up possibilities and Cloud and Aerith are both very powerful. He admits he's underestimated them (I took this is being directed at both, not just Cloud) before the final battle.

There's also the fact that Zach participates in the fight and overlaps to Cloud for a boost. If Aerith is back in 3 maybe there will be overlaps by accident, or by willpower on the part of the heroes.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2024

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Incidentally, in relation to the whole shift from 90s environmentalism, I kinda appreciate how everyone in the party is disgusted with Cosmo Canyon and how it's basically just a self-help destination peddling cliches and no-hope passivity while relying largely on tourism and (through Bugenhagen) stale out-of-date resting on their laurels rather than being framed as The Enlightened Solution.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jetrauben posted:

Incidentally, in relation to the whole shift from 90s environmentalism, I kinda appreciate how everyone in the party is disgusted with Cosmo Canyon and how it's basically just a self-help destination peddling cliches and no-hope passivity while relying largely on tourism and (through Bugenhagen) stale out-of-date resting on their laurels rather than being framed as The Enlightened Solution.

I laughed out loud when the concierge ushered us to a group seminar

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bugenhagen did turn a Shinra installation into a windmill. And I respect that.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jetrauben posted:

I really liked this, but I also appreciated that they had Bugenhagen recognize that he was probably loving up and that he needed Red XIII to go further (and asked him to come back and teach his elders when he's done). It was a good way of squaring that circle and made a flawed but ultimately likable character out of Floaty Grandpa.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

Big same. I got real big cult vibes. Real new age crap for retired yuppies stuff.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The devs must have spent a lot of time in and around LA

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think there could’ve stood to be a scene in between to show Bugenhagen starting to rethink his assumptions, as is he just goes straight from being dismissive to sending Naniki on his way to save the planet

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

I think there could’ve stood to be a scene in between to show Bugenhagen starting to rethink his assumptions, as is he just goes straight from being dismissive to sending Naniki on his way to save the planet

He does though, right after the planetarium scene before you go to the seminar. He has a moment of “you know, maybe I’m just too old to accept these new theories” in a scene with Cloud.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He gets some more lines in a side quest I think

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
After you beat him in sit-ups, yeah

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm genuinely curious to how game 3 is going to go in terms of scope. There's so much poo poo packed into Rebirth it needed two discs on console so when it comes to part three they're going to need to make a space biome, all the cities they missed, midgar in full (I assume) ontop of poo poo like the weapons and sister ray.

They already killed bone town or whatever that stupid place is, I can't help but wonder if Mideel will be skipped over and rolled into Corel with the doctor guy there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wasn’t sure how they would manage full open world until Chapter 12 but now I can see it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rhonne posted:

He’s a monkey, because he’s lupin iii

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zidane's a monkey yeah (see also: prehensile tail)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

With the submarine, we'll have a whole underwater map full of World Intel to collect for Chadley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Imagining Chadley standing nonchalantly at the bottom of the ocean, waiting for Cloud and the gang.