Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I do use suckless terminal though, it’s good

and I build it via nix with my config patched in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh the moment you step away from human-editable (and this to some extent goes for assuming tool support to do xml) just do sqlite for everything.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
plists aren't xml. there's an xml serialization of plists but that's not the native format and the xml serialization is very weird

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

leper khan posted:

:hmmyes: if they care enough they can binary patch it. no need for recompiling, providing source, or using the registry.

i've only seen this once in the wild at a former employer: the perforce vs plugin used to(?) have a dialog box for some thing or another that would trigger quasi-randomly including while you were in the middle of editing code. the default selected option in that box was to just clobber your local changes and replace them with a fresh copy from the repo. predictably, this design choice was rather unpopular with devs, to the point that someone just straight up hex-edited the dll to flip the buttons around and started distributing it internally

so basically what i'm saying is this is the correct answer to the issue of config formats

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Plorkyeran posted:

plists aren't xml. there's an xml serialization of plists but that's not the native format and the xml serialization is very weird

right. ascii with undocumented pbxproj extensions ftw

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Xml is s-expressions Enterprise Edition

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Can someone sell me on LSP? Because I feel like I don't entirely get the point.

Maybe that's a bad way of phrasing it, but people seem to make a huge deal out of LSP these days, e.g., languages and/or tools (editors, IDEs, REPLs, etc.) having or not having LSP support, or even more on the extreme (to me) end, refusing to use languages without LSP and I don't get it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

what if we could write one plugin per language instead of one plugin per editor per language

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i like kotlin enough that i deal with it not having a maintained LSP (last i checked) because the kotlin company is also the intellij company and that's a pretty drat good IDE i'm happy enough to use, but if your language is not also made by a company that makes a top-tier IDE, it probably should have an LSP so people can use it with w/e

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
also everyones in one of three buckets

1) only uses vscode, which supports
2) uses some editor like vim or emacs which both support LSP because no one wants to write a vim or emacs plugin for a language anymore
3) is using some integrated language-and-IDE like visual studio/.net, xcode/swift, or kotlin/intellij, and thus the point is moot

i think a big thing is that if your "language support" in an editor is just syntax highlighting then lmao you need to be using a different language, and one plugins get more complicated than syntax highlighting it becomes hard to maintain them across multiple editors

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

pokeyman posted:

what if we could write one plugin per language instead of one plugin per editor per language

and what if the developers of the language could provide that LSP plugin instead of fifteen different hobby users creating bespoke parsers everywhere.

not that this currently happens - but I think it’s the ideal of LSP.

And since it’s a “server protocol” languages could even ship their LSP with the language and editors can then “just use it”

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

necrotic posted:

and what if the developers of the language could provide that LSP plugin instead of fifteen different hobby users creating bespoke parsers everywhere.

this does happen sometimes, e.g. rust-analyzer coordinates closely/is distributed with rustc

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Ralith posted:

this does happen sometimes, e.g. rust-analyzer coordinates closely/is distributed with rustc

yeah, fair. I should have said “frequently happens”.

overall LSP is relatively new, and so many languages already have bespoke support in many editors. I think we’ll be seeing more and more LSP over the years, and hopefully more from the actual language (or closely supported by, like rust-analyzer).

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it’s been a while since I posted here but the feature I designed, prototyped, and wrote tests for has finally matured and will be in the next major erlang version.

first version was drafted in 2018, prototypes were done 3+ years ago, and it matured for a couple years but it’ll be in for good.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

As an emacs guy LSPs have been a revelation after what felt like years of stagnation

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

MononcQc posted:

it’s been a while since I posted here but the feature I designed, prototyped, and wrote tests for has finally matured and will be in the next major erlang version.

first version was drafted in 2018, prototypes were done 3+ years ago, and it matured for a couple years but it’ll be in for good.

badass, congrats

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

:toot:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

necrotic posted:

isn’t thus exactly why Microsoft created LSP for TypeScript? like the language + IDE vendor actually does provide the LSP support, because LSP is how they provide the TypeScript language support to VS Code

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fortaleza posted:

As an emacs guy LSPs have been a revelation after what felt like years of stagnation

the thing is, emacs could have had this, but Stellman was paranoid about possibly making something that helped “proprietary software” too

that and he had little exposure to decent implementations of emacs before he scrawled his name on and bolted a lovely lisp to gosmacs; all the real “fancy code editor” action was all happening in Zmacs on TI and Symbolics, and in InterLISP-D and Smalltalk on Xerox, all of which were p-p-p-proprietary!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

eschaton posted:

the thing is, emacs could have had this, but Stellman was paranoid about possibly making something that helped “proprietary software” too

that and he had little exposure to decent implementations of emacs before he scrawled his name on and bolted a lovely lisp to gosmacs; all the real “fancy code editor” action was all happening in Zmacs on TI and Symbolics, and in InterLISP-D and Smalltalk on Xerox, all of which were p-p-p-proprietary!

most advances in IDE features were in proprietary s/w back in the day

ergo IDE features are inherently suspect

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

prisoner of waffles posted:

huh, just learned that VS Code is MIT licensed

mystes
May 31, 2006

leper khan posted:

huh, just learned that VS Code is MIT licensed
But some of Microsoft's extensions, like the current python one, are licensed in a way that says you can only use them in the official version of vs code

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mystes posted:

But some of Microsoft's extensions, like the current python one, are licensed in a way that says you can only use them in the official version of vs code

lol

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

An IDE without sin would only crash, never save.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

ynohtna posted:

An IDE without sin would only crash, never save.

Immediate Deletion Engine

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

eschaton posted:

isn’t thus exactly why Microsoft created LSP for TypeScript? like the language + IDE vendor actually does provide the LSP support, because LSP is how they provide the TypeScript language support to VS Code

yes, I should have said “rarely” - rust-analyzer was also pointed out above.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Internet Janitor posted:

Immediate Deletion Engine

sounds like decker should get on that, good luck

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Apple should license the IDE work out to Jetbrains and have them make Xcode.

:rip: appcode

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

vscode is very much in the tradition of emacs. just better at it, to no small part because emacs has largely rotted for decades.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

eschaton posted:

Oh yeah I know, I've been an emacs guy for nearly twenty years. We've all heard that story, probably multiple times, but now things are better and there's nothing the goobers can do about it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
as a vim sicko, I am curious to know if neovim and its scripting situation are good/bad/okay/atrocious

I really should just take a day and try out neovim

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

vscode is very much in the tradition of emacs. just better at it, to no small part because emacs has largely rotted for decades.

propped up upon the rotting corpse of the fsf

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

as a vim sicko, I am curious to know if neovim and its scripting situation are good/bad/okay/atrocious

I don't know vimscript, but Lua is nice. The problem I have with it is that I switched to nvim because I didn't like how "magically just works" stuff was with VSC, but documentation to actually set stuff up from scratch in nvim is very poor. so you'll get told to use plugins, which put you back in the "magically just works" category

i recently rewrote a chunk of my config because Mason was loving up one of my LSPs (mostly the LSP's fault tbh) and this was a nice walkthrough of all the stuff that lspconfig was abstracting away: https://vonheikemen.github.io/devlog/tools/neovim-lsp-client-guide/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

modern actual vim is better than neovim

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, vscode is in many ways what emacs could have been if it had continued to be developed with the intention of advancing the state of text editing rather than being an ideological art piece

leper khan posted:

modern actual vim is better than neovim

i agree, but i do wonder how long it'll stay true with bram gone

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Do people actually do things in vscode beyond editing files? Emacs turned into more of a unified application platform, and while it's fine not to like its style of interface, I don't really see vscode being better at it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Athas posted:

Do people actually do things in vscode beyond editing files? Emacs turned into more of a unified application platform, and while it's fine not to like its style of interface, I don't really see vscode being better at it.

click menu botan vs cmd shift pgdn

mystes
May 31, 2006

Athas posted:

Does it need to be "better" at being a "unified application platform" for someone who doesn't like its style of interface? Isn't being as good at that but having a UI that sucks less good enough?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Athas posted:

vscode is in a wierd spot where its too bloated to be a text editor and its not good enough to be an IDE. still better than vim or emacs tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

vscode is in a wierd spot where its too bloated to be a text editor and its not good enough to be an IDE. still better than vim or emacs tho

it's good enough for web dev.