Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm in....the Florida alliance?

So did they draw those up based on spilling a mug of coffee on the map or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lol if New People's Army is supposed to be communist given that Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas are in there.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Fightin’ Florida Men

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I’ll be hanging out in western nc, surrounded on all sides, protecting civilizations psilocybin meadows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Have heard of the ASVAB, but don't remember taking it at all nor trying to get out of it or the test being required at all in my high school. graduated in 2004 in Oregon, so more likely it was elsewhere in the state but not the suburbs of Portland.

I think we did have ROTC at UO as well, so it's not like there's zero presence in the state. (insert Animal House joke here as well)

Alaois posted:

he should get that thing rebadged and turn it back into the Isuzu Faster it was born as

absolutely needs an old-school 'autumn leaf' sticker for the back window too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like in a hypothetical civil war 2 you wouldn’t end up with conflicts on neat state boundaries anyway. Most states are deep blue urban centers with red rural areas. Like Washington state hasn’t voted for a republican president in 40 years. But no way in hell are all the militia psychos in eastern Washington Ridin’ with Biden. They’re absolutely trying to break off and join Idaho or some poo poo.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

I took it in high school. I had friends take it twice to get a high enough score to get their MOS of preference.

I was with some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive in the Army. I have no idea how anyone could fail that test in a way that would bar them from service barring having an actual mental disability.

I was going to say, I remember the folks who still willingly enlisted in the Army or Marines right out of high school and they were not the brightest.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm going to pretend that map is because of a very controversial Superbowl.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ll be hanging out in western nc, surrounded on all sides, protecting civilizations psilocybin meadows.
General Fashizzle, the Georgia 21st Division has taken Franklin!

Do you answer with
1: Why?
2: Let them deal with it.
3: The poor bastards...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

General Fashizzle, the Georgia 21st Division has taken Franklin!

Do you answer with
1: Why?
2: Let them deal with it.
3: The poor bastards...

Franklin is a lovely little town!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Franklin is a lovely little town!

It is, I rented a cabin there years ago and the area is just gorgeous.

Also, if Loyalist States means the US government, then no way does SC stick with them lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shinji2015 posted:

Also, if Loyalist States means the US government, then no way does SC stick with them lol

Depends on who is president, but yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also a reminder that Garland will not be directing movies anymore after Civil War
https://x.com/physicalmedia_/status/1774826368548929680?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

I think I'll watch Dredd tonight.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

They really wanted to make a modern Civil War movie but make it complete nonsense and without substance to avoid offending trumpists didn't they.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Docjowles posted:

I feel like in a hypothetical civil war 2 you wouldn’t end up with conflicts on neat state boundaries anyway. Most states are deep blue urban centers with red rural areas. Like Washington state hasn’t voted for a republican president in 40 years. But no way in hell are all the militia psychos in eastern Washington Ridin’ with Biden. They’re absolutely trying to break off and join Idaho or some poo poo.

Yes a new civil war wouldn't be North vs South again or some similarly clear cut division, it would be rural vs urban.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tinola. Accidentally bought breasts instead of thighs because I'm illiterate!!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

They really wanted to make a modern Civil War movie but make it complete nonsense and without substance to avoid offending trumpists didn't they.

The Texas/Californian Axis pulled me right out of it initially then I saw Jesse Plemons in red sunglasses and I’m all in.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Tinola. Accidentally bought breasts instead of thighs because I'm illiterate!!

Please swing by with a Cool Whip container full of this.

Speaking of which, apparently April is Filipino Food Month and several restaurants in Portland are participating. Thank God I'm back to eating meat again after Lent wrapped up!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yes a new civil war wouldn't be North vs South again or some similarly clear cut division, it would be rural vs urban.

The documentary media of such already exists

https://youtu.be/v0DpBnUznd0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

The Texas/Californian Axis pulled me right out of it initially then I saw Jesse Plemons in red sunglasses and I’m all in.

Honestly, knowing nothing about the movie beyond the trailer, Texas and California are basically the only states that could potentially exist as independent countries and while the reasons they would try and secede from the USA are probably different if they did both try and secede it would make sense to cooperate against what was left of the American government fighting against their secession.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The fact Texas & California are teaming up to secede is what has me intrigued.

That said, watch it be something really dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The fact Texas & California are teaming up to secede is what has me intrigued.

That said, watch it be something really dumb.

I can imagine different socio-political contexts that would make secession a popular idea in each state, they'd be different for each state but could potentially arise at the same time.

Veto proof majority banning abortion nation wide but not doing anything about the border in Texas.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Making air conditioning illegal

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If we in the US didn't all use the same currency and have access to the same stuff on TV, we'd have beaten each other to death in the streets by now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am going to guess its something to do with Mexican food.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I could go some good Mexican food rn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

I am going to guess its something to do with Mexican food.

Somebody re-do that poster, but it's labeled with regional BBQ styles.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I got some Pollo Asada thighs soaking right now buuuuuddy. Thanks again for that red curry rec, replaced pickled jalapeños for heat in my asada marinades (cilantro, roast garlic, lime juice, cumin, paprika, black pepper, olive oil, onion powder and Mae Ploy paste with a bit of white vinegar). Just gonna broil em cause my grill is buried on the snowy side of the house haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Silly Burrito posted:

lol grouping texas and california together

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Reading the article, it sounds like that there's not going to be any reasons given:

The Guardian posted:

This is an offhand comparison, but an apt one. Like Sir Jonathan Thompson, the civil servant who was appointed chair of the high-speed rail infrastructure project, Garland seems determined to stay out of the fray which attends his highly political project. In Civil War’s version of the near future, the entrenched Democratic state of California and the entrenched Republican state of Texas are aligned as the “Western Forces” against the federal government, though neither they, nor the federal army, evince any distinguishing political ideology. The film’s warning against our descent into dystopia is urgent and sincere, but it simultaneously declines to map out the specific arguments and ideas that might take us there. Why is Garland both-sidesing like this?

He’s not, he says. But he recognises this as a potential misinterpretation of a film that posits “polarisation” as cause – not a symptom – of our current malaise. The film is concerned about “the speed at which the other side shuts down” when we talk to people in different political positions. “[I am] trying to circumvent that by not being polarising, and by trying to find points of agreement.” This is the same approach he’s always taken to his work. “What I’m usually doing in films is presenting more than one opinion, so it’s more like a conversation, rather than: ‘Do this, think that’. So there are several ways you could look at Ex Machina; as a film about sentience, or where gender resides, or objectification. The same is true of Men. And somewhere, coded within that, I will be taking a position. But I’ve tried to do it in a way that isn’t interrupting the conversation.”

He does, however, seem to be having much less fun with the unpredictable way people might participate in this conversation when it comes to Civil War, at one point requesting to go off-record so he can explain his personal views and voting preferences. Yet while Garland clearly cares about how his film will be received, and returns fretfully to the subject of media misinterpretation on several occasions, he seems to be in a place of peaceable, if gloomy, acceptance: “It all could and will be misunderstood”, and “it would be out of your control as it is out of mine”.

I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this to begin with, and less so after reading this article. If the discourse bothers him enough to make him want to quit directing, I dunno, maybe don't make a movie like this?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

I got some Pollo Asada thighs soaking right now buuuuuddy. Thanks again for that red curry rec, replaced pickled jalapeños for heat in my asada marinades (cilantro, roast garlic, lime juice, cumin, paprika, black pepper, olive oil, onion powder and Mae Ploy paste with a bit of white vinegar). Just gonna broil em cause my grill is buried on the snowy side of the house haha

Sounds great.

Im glad you're enjoying it bruv. Always get a kick outta it when someone enjoys my rec.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Intruder posted:

lol grouping texas and california together

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol fuckin owned

Also, where my fellow Douggie wavers out there yo, we be ready to leave those dummies who call us South Alaska to their fate and just like become polite trade partners with Canada who we say we should totally hang out with and get a drink some time but never actually follow up with that and just politely ignore their existence outside work.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 3, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait how do you have a place in the middle of La for half my mortgage

I bought it in 2003. In retrospect I wish I'd bought two!

I have never heard of people being forced/tricked by their high school into taking the ASVAB. It was only people who replied to the military recruiter by accident that did it when I graduated.

C-Euro posted:

Somebody re-do that poster, but it's labeled with regional BBQ styles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol fuckin owned

Also, where my fellow Douggie wavers out there yo, we be ready to leave those dummies who call us South Alaska to their fate and just like become polite trade partners with Canada who we say we should totally hang out with and get a drink some time but never actually follow up with that and just politely ignore their existence outside work.

'Sup?

If I'm going to play pretend war, I might as well be fighting for a pretend country.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol fuckin owned

I love that the three soccer clubs each use two different combos of the three colors of the flag (Vancouver blue and white, Seattle blue and green, Portland green and white).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My entire class in a private Catholic high school was herded into an auditorium and made to do the Asvab.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I decided to take a DNA test using Ancestry.com and now I've gone head first into genealogy. My mom was working on tracking down her side of the family before she passed, so I got a bunch of hand written notes and pictures my mom had collected. Can't even imagine having to do this when you had to go around to libraries and pull county records to find this stuff. Now most of it is scanned and online.

You really do become your parents though. I'm talking to my wife about driving around to cemeteries, which is something we did on a couple of family trips when I was a kid.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The only thing I got from my mom was emotionally durable relationships to stuff, she was just on this side of being a hoarder, but in the neatest, tidiest way. We had two full closets off the garage with boxes of every gift, card, piece of decor, non-consumable item any family member ever received neatly boxed and catalogued in my childhood home.

We are in the middle of tacking on a 3rd bedroom so both of my kids can have their own space and so this meant clearing out a lot of stuff that I formerly had storage capacity for as we consolidate into less of the house for construction. I'm glad I needed to do it because there was a lot of crap I really needed to toss, but it was still hard to throw away things like the box for the pentium motherboard I bought at fry's with all the original accessories and manual as I stared at it and remembered building it.

Brains are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Some states (and I think the DoEd) have benchmarks for school systems that measure preparedness for students post-graduation. One of the metrics is percentage of students that take things like the SATs and ACTs, but the ASVAB also counts for that, and its free for schools to administer, in fact the military pays schools to administer it (I can't remember if its directly through recruitment budget or if it gets funneled throught DoEd). So even if it's not "required", pretty much everyone takes it in practice.