Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Brutal kunnin', warboss, and da big dakka. In that order.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they were originally made to be subtly imperialist but this is the setting with orbital drop castles so it was a bad fit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they were originally made to be subtly imperialist but this is the setting with orbital drop castles so it was a bad fit

Astarties are inbound

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

This is more like it. Cat noises!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Read Deff Skwadron here if you haven't already: http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Deff%20Skwadron/deff_skwadron.htm

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

why should I do that?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
i enjoy it, maybe you would too

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's a comic about orks in planes shooting each other.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Benagain posted:

it's a lot of fun

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Rags to Liches posted:

it's a lot of fun

Orks is the best!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god, the SINK DA GRIMLUG title page gives me chills even today. I bought the hard copy of Deff Skwadron back in the day and cherished it, but then found out it was worth hundreds of dollars because it was so stupidly rare, so had to sell it. I loved those comics but not enough to justify keeping a $300 graphic novel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why should I do that?
cuz it rules, nerd. do it or I'll shove you back in the stasis-locker

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if I had to pick a dream 40k movie it'd probably be just Uzgob and da boyz hanging out regaling their past stories to each other during some downtime, and cutting to the different storylines of deff skwadron as a way to cram it all into one movie. and then the ending is them running off to go on some new attack

that or The Redeemer as a movie. god I loving love that comic, it took the piss out of 40k harder than most, and the art ruled

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo that's the comic with the dude who purges while wearing a fire hat right? That did rule

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Deff Skwadron should get 5 seasons at least somewhere imo

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can barely even parse that art. I think those are ork flown plans in profile flying left to right on the left side, but the entire thing is a top down shot of a giant base, or ship maybe given the name. Why would they fly sideways with one wing pointed straight down?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Benagain posted:

Oh poo poo that's the comic with the dude who purges while wearing a fire hat right? That did rule
yeah Klovis The Redeemer. he has a fire crown and a giant combi-Eviscerator

I might actually still have the graphic novels for that one somewhere. it was so gloriously over the top and very clearly tongue in cheek in a way even regular 40k usually didn't grasp properly. this page was one of my absolute favorites, perfectly captured the literally insane nature of the lot of them and especially their leader

they did a color version but I always loved the stark black and white original.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can barely even parse that art. I think those are ork flown plans in profile flying left to right on the left side, but the entire thing is a top down shot of a giant base, or ship maybe given the name. Why would they fly sideways with one wing pointed straight down?
they're in the process of dive-bombing an island-sized battleship. that's the shot of them about to go nose-down at it, the dramatic moment before. you can see some of their skwadron already going in.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

god, the SINK DA GRIMLUG title page gives me chills even today. I bought the hard copy of Deff Skwadron back in the day and cherished it, but then found out it was worth hundreds of dollars because it was so stupidly rare, so had to sell it. I loved those comics but not enough to justify keeping a $300 graphic novel

cuz it rules, nerd. do it or I'll shove you back in the stasis-locker

Blood for the blood god. Yeah. I'm not allowed to tell you how I did it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

the price the 80's and 90's 40k art paid for the loving mega-total-detail on everything is dog-poo poo perspective, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The notion that I remember from the first codex is that they value life, so they don’t want to throw away Tau lives needlessly through dumb close combat. In addition to yeah they are smart and understand tactics.

They also understand that they just naturally suck at close combat, and their stats on tabletop reflect that. Even human auxiliaries with the same kit as Fire Warriors are better.

There's a series of novels from the Tau perspective and apparently for human antagonists they created a Guard regiment clearly based on the Confederacy, with even more racist than usual overtones and ridiculous Biblical names. Most IG armies are based on historical armies, at various stages, for crossover appeal to the historical miniatures crowd.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fire caste, by peter fehervari. the actual pov is mainly the commissar attached to the confederates

necrons and orks have basically all of the good xenos books. despite being the elves of the setting (and theoretically by default the second most important faction, by tolkien rules), 40k eldar books basically all suck

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

the price the 80's and 90's 40k art paid for the loving mega-total-detail on everything is dog-poo poo perspective, yes

Ah yes, the "I don't know what's happening, but there's a lot of it" philosophy

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

necrons and orks have basically all of the good xenos books. despite being the elves of the setting (and theoretically by default the second most important faction, by tolkien rules), 40k eldar books basically all suck

Space elves and dark elves are the most boring faction. They're fundamentally static - the Space Elves are like "oh no we blew up the universe will all our loving, now we're sad" and the space dark elves are hot topic drow. Rogue Traders do pirates better than Corsairs

Exodites are vaguely interesting but AFAIK there is zero fiction about them, and Gee-Dub is too cowardly to release elves riding dinosaurs in space

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all factions are static basically except the spess marines. 40k is about eternal vicious stasis and rot and decay

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

fire caste, by peter fehervari. the actual pov is mainly the commissar attached to the confederates

I kind of don't wanna know, but I also can't resist; are there any dark eldar books? Are Dark Eldar still a thing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

I kind of don't wanna know, but I also can't resist; are there any dark eldar books? Are Dark Eldar still a thing?

renamed drukhari for intellectual property consolidation purposes. there's some dreck

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/novels/path-of-the-dark-eldar-ebook.html

at least they can have the consolation of being usually the best faction on the tabletop

there's a deldar bit in da big dakka which is better than the actual deldar books

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Space elves and dark elves are the most boring faction. They're fundamentally static - the Space Elves are like "oh no we blew up the universe will all our loving, now we're sad" and the space dark elves are hot topic drow. Rogue Traders do pirates better than Corsairs

Exodites are vaguely interesting but AFAIK there is zero fiction about them, and Gee-Dub is too cowardly to release elves riding dinosaurs in space

New elf and dark elf lore is making a god of death to kill Slaneesh and experience the ultimate thrill, dying with your bank account at 0 so your heirs get nothing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

New elf and dark elf lore is making a god of death to kill Slaneesh and experience the ultimate thrill, dying with your bank account at 0 so your heirs get nothing.

but some Orks!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

there's a deldar bit in da big dakka which is better than the actual deldar books

The best consequence of that book is that commorragh is infested with Ork spores now.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I wish I could grow some orks in my backyard

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

I wish I could grow some orks in my backyard

you need a really big backyard, or you'll only get snotlings or grots

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wish they'd reprint the old 40k 1st edition and 2nd edition books or at least make them PDFs. Maybe their PDFs on Drive Through RPG. Anyway they were loving amazing books.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

you need a really big backyard, or you'll only get snotlings or grots

incorrect. you need a really fighty backyard

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Just go start punching mushrooms and cultivating the ones that seem to put up the most fight

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

That ork comic is the drawing equivalent of death metal band logos, I swear to god I cannot make heads nor tails of it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

madmatt112 posted:

That ork comic is the drawing equivalent of death metal band logos, I swear to god I cannot make heads nor tails of it.

Yeah. Lol!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Teatime posted:

I question how anyone thought Tau were supposed to be good unless you really weren’t paying attention. It’s always been ‘congratulations you have been selected to join the empire!’ and if you refuse out come the rail guns and battle suits. If you do join the co prosperity sphere you get to find that some (the tau) are more equal than others. They are a classic expansionist empire and you can physically feel the pith helmets coming through the page when they describe other species they’ve subsumed.

yeah, they are basicaly the covenant except instead of theocrats, they are neoliberals with caste flavors. sorta.

here are some of mine. I have a small collection of admech dudes too.
anyway apperently they are releasing nids soon and more chaos dudes for the joy toy line. also more guardsmen.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I like the Orks. At least they have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reading old 2000AD is fun because you can see where Warhammer got it all from in the first place. Nemesis the Warlock is pretty much where they nicked everything from. Also a fun one where the humans are antagonists, and the hero is the titular warlock who clowns on their xenophobic theocracy and I'm pretty sure fucks human women. And he's a magic alien space dragon.