Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Regarde Aduck posted:

if people don't destroy these things then everyone deserves this poo poo world

i am once again reminding the olds and/or europeans in this thread that public protest and property destruction are super-duper felonies in these united states. that poo poo worked in the 70s or whatever, now it gets you state prison and permanent unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Or dead.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Consolidated Ed posted:

i am once again reminding the olds and/or europeans in this thread that public protest and property destruction are super-duper felonies in these united states. that poo poo worked in the 70s or whatever, now it gets you state prison and permanent unemployment
public protest is not illegal in the US, and property destruction is illegal everywhere else too. american exceptionalism as an excuse not to protest or riot lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

spechtie posted:

public protest is not illegal in the US

one time i saw a young woman at a peaceful (lol) public protest sit down in an otherwise empty intersection that had been ordered cleared by the police

when she refused to get up, they hit her in the chest with a grenade

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

that poo poo happens everywhere, that doesnt mean public protest is illegal

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

spechtie posted:

that poo poo happens everywhere, that doesnt mean public protest is illegal

If cops shoot protesters in the chest with a grenade without suffering any consequences... it kinda does...?

Like, how is it legal, at that point?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it is legal (except where it is made illegal for the comfort and convenience of the people that the protest wishes to be uncomfortable and inconvenienced), but it is not safe

fear not, Ham Equity: the punishment you will receive for protesting is not a legal punishment, but an extralegal punishment!

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

protest should be safe, legal, and rare

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's better than legal, it's supralegal

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bouillon Rube posted:

Sort of off topic but can anyone explain discount programs like GoodRX? It’s totally hit or miss but sometimes it brings down the cost of medications by like 50% but it’s not insurance so I’m not sure what the gently caress anyone is getting out of this arrangement
It turns out GoodRX was selling your data. They won't do it any more. Pinky swear.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Goons not understanding that de jure means nothing

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

tokin opposition posted:

not how I like my steak but w/e

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

None of y'all ever got thrown into a "Free Speech Zone" versus face arrest or death? drat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Every single protestor in America in the past 10 years was killed. Or worse.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

tokin opposition posted:

I understand that, I just dont think the US is special when it comes to the danger of protesting

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sb9upliboY1s1ddrj_720.mp4

spechtie has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Apr 3, 2024

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah well i think you should jump off a local bridge, dipshit

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
can't, they're all collapsing before anyone can get to that point

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

spechtie posted:

I understand that, I just dont think the US is special when it comes to the danger of protesting

That's because you are dumb. Hope this helps!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

good soup for my family?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

soup de facto

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
De jure means friendship

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
De jure is when you have a slice of pie with ice cream on top

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

cat botherer posted:

De Greasy is when you have a slice of pie with a meatball on top

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

Degrasse is when you have a slice of pi with science on top

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cat botherer posted:

Degaussing is when you have a slice of pie with no remnant magnetic field on top

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cat botherer posted:

De eznuts is when I HAH GOTTEM

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

cat botherer posted:

de Gaulle is when you have a slice of Paris with Hitler on top

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Don't hate de player hate de game

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ArmedZombie posted:

good soup for my family?

Today's soup de jure is the Chili Effect

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

🥶

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Paladinus posted:

expelled

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

de_jure was an underrated map

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cat botherer posted:

Degrassi is when you have a slice of life with very important topics on top

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

spechtie posted:

then youre hopelessly naive and/or european

you have no idea how fascist the us is, zero. the only labor solidarity in the us is between police, who can kill or imprison with impunity

this isnt greece, where throwing molotov cocktails at cops is something that just happens. we use tanks on unarmed protestors here, and our cops have air forces

edit: friendly reminder that multiple US states/localities have tried to make criticism or filming of police a crime.

america loves the boot, it craves the boot, it needs the boot. we want slavery, trump, and the olive garden.

Consolidated Ed has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Apr 3, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, I am convinced!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This came up in the Ukraine thread, but the one time Germans actually protested against the Holocaust, the Rosenstrasse protest, the protestors won, no violence was used against them, and memos show the Nazi party was immediately concerned and responsive to public protest against one of their policies.

Contemporary Liberalism, is literally more heavy handed and less responsive than Naziism.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I've had a cop point a gun to my face for refusing to be corralled into a Free Speech Zone. It was Louisiana. They kill here with no provocation, so I relented. Maybe I'm a coward.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one has tried to kill me for protesting, but that's because all the protests I've participated in were clearly going to be ineffectual.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This came up in the Ukraine thread, but the one time Germans actually protested against the Holocaust, the Rosenstrasse protest, the protestors won, no violence was used against them, and memos show the Nazi party was immediately concerned and responsive to public protest against one of their policies.

Contemporary Liberalism, is literally more heavy handed and less responsive than Naziism.

Sure sounds like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Since the turn away from industrial labour in the 1970's, there's no real reason, materially, for protests to be listened to. What are you going to do? How could you actually hurt them in a meaningful way? Your protests don't impact stock prices and spreadsheets.

Compare to general strikes and protests crippling industrial economies, and thus leading to a response addressing their demands. In 1968, the French economy was practically shut down. Occupy, critically, did not actually occupy Wall Street in the same way that occupying docks and factories did - by shutting down productivity.