Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Trying to decide whether to hit the places/content I still haven’t done, or wrap up the game and save them for my next play through. I’ve already done a ton and I’m level 50 on the final story quest, but there’s several map sections I haven’t seen and a few notable encounters that I know I passed over (sphinx and dullahan).

Mods have definitely given the game more longevity for me (esp the difficulty tweaks, stuff was getting tooo easy). Question is now how to spend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Trying to decide whether to hit the places/content I still haven’t done, or wrap up the game and save them for my next play through. I’ve already done a ton and I’m level 50 on the final story quest, but there’s several map sections I haven’t seen and a few notable encounters that I know I passed over (sphinx and dullahan).

Mods have definitely given the game more longevity for me (esp the difficulty tweaks, stuff was getting tooo easy). Question is now how to spend it.

FWIW the second thing in your spoiler was the closest I've felt to a From fight in DD2 (at least as melee; ranged is broadly easier). It's not as technical (esp. not like Sekiro) but it doesn't gently caress around, and the set piece itself is impressive

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ooh, thank you. I’ll go seek it out then. I missed the initial quest to send you there, and then later got an ambient line about how it had Happened so I kinda forgot about it but you’ve sold me.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Anyone have any advice on finding Folkes the peddler after he leaves checkpoint rest town? The interactive map makes it look like he's in the fort at the top of the ancient battlefield, but I swear I've explored every inch of that place and have turned up nothing.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Wizard Whateley posted:

Anyone have any advice on finding Folkes the peddler after he leaves checkpoint rest town? The interactive map makes it look like he's in the fort at the top of the ancient battlefield, but I swear I've explored every inch of that place and have turned up nothing.
Check the charnel house, he was dead when I first visited the Ancient Battleground.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Good idea! I'll try that. I keep forgetting about that. I've had some surprising guests show up there after I thought a quest was broken.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Is it normal for people you've maxed affinity with to show up in the hot springs? I found Sara in there but figured that just must be because I did her quest which was nearby, but walking out I saw Lennart and the Trial of Archery elf walking in that direction.

Wizard Whateley posted:

Good idea! I'll try that. I keep forgetting about that. I've had some surprising guests show up there after I thought a quest was broken.

Yeah, I found him dead on the floor on one of my trips to the Ancient Battleground. That and the merchant who sells the Stargazer outfit are two Wakestones I've had to use to revive dead NPCs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

Is it normal for people you've maxed affinity with to show up in the hot springs? I found Sara in there but figured that just must be because I did her quest which was nearby, but walking out I saw Lennart and the Trial of Archery elf walking in that direction.

Yeah I'm not sure exactly how the game decides who to put there but it seems to heavily preference people you have high affinity with. They'll just teleport there when you go in and teleport back home whenever you leave the area.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'd do the former, if only because you can only fight it once per playthrough and the pawn badge requires 5 of them lol. But it's quite involved and I would drop a temp portcrystal at both locations and use ferrystones to complete the riddles. Personally by the time I met the dullahan I must have been overleveled because I killed it in like 20 seconds much like everything else in this game, but YMMV, especially with mods.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Beat it, felt it was better overall than 1 but wow the main quest sucked rear end compared to 1. Wished there were more set piece areas like Misty Moors and Wyrmsblood Forest

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like the two areas leading to the Sphynx's temples that mess with your visibility and navigation. I didn't know what they were protecting but it obviously had to be something important to screw with you like they do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 80 hours into the game, right next to the ending, and I'm yet to see the dragonblight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jesus loving christ. A grim minotaur teleports out of the sky in the middle of the night to one shot two pawns and leave me half dead, leading to a chase all the way from the Battahl oracle hut to the border crossing town, alone and mostly dead, and out of healing items, with wolves and goblins harrying me the whole way so a ferrystone wasn't an option. On Trickster of course, so I had no self defense (taking time to summon a ghost would have just gotten me interrupted and dogpiled).

Never underestimate a minotaur alpha strike just because you're high level.

On the other hand, I managed to Trickster an armored cyclops into attacking a gryphon. The gryphon... died extremely fast. Not even 30 seconds after it had entered the fight.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Haven't booted up the game since the update and now it seems to crash at the drop of a hat? Anyone else having this issue? Whenever it happens it takes Steam along with it.

EDIT: Switching to fullscreen from borderless fullscreen seemingly fixed it.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 3, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

no foe is more fierce than the floor

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The poo poo you gotta do to promote yourself for a job these days

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I encountered a new skeleton enemy in this random tower who dropped a Flamberge and was probably the most "Souls-like" enemy I've encountered. He just does these powerful melee strikes.

I was a Fighter at the time, and one of its attacks 1-shot me from full health even though I was using the counter skill.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 80 hours into the game, right next to the ending, and I'm yet to see the dragonblight.

Same and 66 hours in NG+

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I encountered a new skeleton enemy in this random tower who dropped a Flamberge and was probably the most "Souls-like" enemy I've encountered. He just does these powerful melee strikes.

I was a Fighter at the time, and one of its attacks 1-shot me from full health even though I was using the counter skill.

Was it a Skeleton Warrior (there's a skeleton version of every pawn vocation, just like with bandits) or was it yet another version? Skeleton Warriors are pretty nasty and armored to hell and back.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we have a concrete number on how large the damage boost of the Aromatic Rally is?

EDIT: 200% for Aromatic Rally and 230% for Aromatic Resurgence.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 3, 2024

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Was it a Skeleton Warrior (there's a skeleton version of every pawn vocation, just like with bandits) or was it yet another version? Skeleton Warriors are pretty nasty and armored to hell and back.

There's a secret ultra Skeleton Lord guy with a huge two handed sword, he'll gently caress you up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jizzy sillage posted:

There's a secret ultra Skeleton Lord guy with a huge two handed sword, he'll gently caress you up.

There's apparently multiple and each drops a piece of equipment?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is the Dullahan gated behind the quest? Because in 50 hours of gameplay I've never seen one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Is the Dullahan gated behind the quest? Because in 50 hours of gameplay I've never seen one.

that's the only guaranteed one, although my guess is that there's a few stuck in very out-of-the-way places that you can only find at night

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I got ambushed by two in two separate places unrelated to any quest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

that's the only guaranteed one, although my guess is that there's a few stuck in very out-of-the-way places that you can only find at night

Yeah I ran into a couple while running around at night so they are around, although it was way back when I started the game so I don't remember exactly where it was. It wasn't actually that out of the way, it was along a road somewhere near Vernworth

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I keep running into them around bridges? They're a massive pain, mostly because I can never see the tell for the aoe knockdown thing

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Trenchdeep posted:

I keep running into them around bridges? They're a massive pain, mostly because I can never see the tell for the aoe knockdown thing

This was the only place I encountered one outside of the quest. I guess it's the headless horseman thing even though the DD universe doesn't have horses. Really cool enemy. Idk if they'd patch this but if they made Dullahans and Medusas as common as, like, Minotaurs it'd go a long way. They're both fun boss fights but were basically one-and-done for me which is a shame.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This was the only place I encountered one outside of the quest. I guess it's the headless horseman thing even though the DD universe doesn't have horses. Really cool enemy. Idk if they'd patch this but if they made Dullahans and Medusas as common as, like, Minotaurs it'd go a long way. They're both fun boss fights but were basically one-and-done for me which is a shame.

If someone manages to make a mod to make rarer enemies like the sphynx respawn more often I'd love it. I want that badge but I don't want to NG+ five times.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Post game is almost that

A lot of rare enemies but unless you just enjoy fighting them, there isn't reason to stay there

Like you just get better gear but it isn't difficult to need it

You can finish T4 enchants but the stat buffs are not needed

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, besides the quest encounter I've met one Dullahan and have yet to win. The other was right where you enter Battahl via the canyon, below the big waterfall. Wish there was another fixed spawn somewhere.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
This games gives me the biggest FOMO ever. I want to explore every nook and cranny, but when you're on your way to a quest, or when you are dangerously low on life (yesterday my main pawn died, so I had no camp with me; first time I had to ferrystone to Vermund) you just cannot go to all those places. Sometimes I notice I am too weak for a particular cave (I respecced myself and my pawn) and I have to back out, I'll try to mark it but only having 5 map markers is really insufficient. I'll try to go back later to explore, but I also want to finish all the quests and progress to the desert area.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can just head to the nearest Forgotten Riftstone, interact with it, and get your main pawn back that way. That's why it's a good idea to keep your camping kit either on yourself or on your main pawn, so it doesn't get sent to storage as the support pawn that has it dies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat, I don't think the Fisherman hermit can (endgame spoilers) be the beloved for the credits scene. This will have to do instead:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was gifted a beetle by someone named Ishy. :toot: Not on my friends list, but probably a goon? Either way, thank you Ishy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I should stop running around looting everything myself, and just use the go command... Hey you missed one, in fact you all ran right past it. Guess I'll do it-" $300 "God damnit."

It feels like Pawns are programmed to avoid looting any bodies with gold on them, the thing I want them to loot most :saddowns:

Also griffins remain kind of awkward while I am dealing broadsword tickle damage to them with occasional "ooh, saw their healthbar move more than a pixel thanks to mage pawn!" until they gently caress off, or suddenly one-shot me after what feels like twenty minutes but was probably ten (Please leave I want to set a camp in the same mile as me)

Getting half wrecked killing a too wet to set on fire minotaur was much cooler. Because I could actually see "Yup, dealing damage instead of gently caress all! This is great!-OH gently caress MY SPINE... Broke their horn though, life is good" :histdowns:

I still have no idea if upgraded shield smash is a waste of time, or helps speed up big monster staggering compared to my other options.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

It was much larger than normal skeleton enemies and had a great sword IIRC. It gave "fell bones" or something.

Tbh it would have been trivially easy as a ranged class and was only awkward because I was melee and fighting it in a small room. It looked cool, though.

jizzy sillage posted:

That sounds like it. His damage caught me off-guard, since I'm pretty end-game geared and only drakes really threaten me much.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 3, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ytlaya posted:

It was much larger than normal skeleton enemies and had a great sword IIRC. It gave "fell bones" or something.

Tbh it would have been trivially easy as a ranged class and was only awkward because I was melee and fighting it in a small room. It looked cool, though.

That's a "Fel Lord", you can find them a few places. There's one in the Ancient Ruins passage between the elven place and the Melve area IIRC.

Edit: I'm actually tempted to start over again, and set up a new pawn for people to hire while I take a break. What's the easiest way to get into Battahl?
Last run I used the coastal path, but that one can be kind of rough.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah what's everyone running for weapons? I'm mainlining Warrior right now and it's all heavenward strike, mountain breaker and Razing sweep. Every boss I just chain heavenward strike and if it's staggered I'll mountain breaker. But it does feel like both of those skills work best with high knockdown power and it feels like mountainbreaker is weak with a sword instead of a mace.

I think I'll go warfarer and insert gut and run so I can dagger switch and hit bosses weak points with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Section Z posted:

I still have no idea if upgraded shield smash is a waste of time, or helps speed up big monster staggering compared to my other options.

Shield Smash is dope...against smaller targets. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes down to figuring out if it works against big guys too, but I'm leaning on the "no" side. Probably better to climb and stab them in the head (or for minotaurs, baiting their charge into the auto-parry/counter skill, it shreds them)