Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I remember someone comparing an early 90s store / warehouse system that was keyboard only vs. a later mouse based GUI and his conclusion was the keyboard only software was superior, once you got over the initial hump of only using a mouse. Man I've tried to find that article again, I can't even remember if it was an article or a youtube video...

Some of that old terminal software legitimately holds up today in terms of 'getting a task done quickly'. When the developer can't be distracted by The Aesthetic(tm), you can focus instead on actually making a functional piece of software. Most small-to-medium form-like software would probably be unironically better if you put it in the hands of some guy from the 80s. If you are building software where someone is filling out fields, and you don't support reasonable sectioning and thoughtful tab ordering + shift tab support, your software is literally worse then poo poo running on an AS/400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They can't use reflectors anywhere it snows because the plow would wreck it. When I first moved up I wondered why they dont use them in Canada.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Outrail posted:

They can't use reflectors anywhere it snows because the plow would wreck it. When I first moved up I wondered why they dont use them in Canada.

The English style cat's eyes handle them fine, they depress into the ground.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m looking for a cute dress for my birthday and Shein/Temu Delenda Est.

Holy poo poo I try to look for anything and 80 percent of the results are either one or the other. I guess death to Google Shopping for allowing this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Some of that old terminal software legitimately holds up today in terms of 'getting a task done quickly'. When the developer can't be distracted by The Aesthetic(tm), you can focus instead on actually making a functional piece of software. Most small-to-medium form-like software would probably be unironically better if you put it in the hands of some guy from the 80s. If you are building software where someone is filling out fields, and you don't support reasonable sectioning and thoughtful tab ordering + shift tab support, your software is literally worse then poo poo running on an AS/400.

Everytime our suppliers of our e-commerce system do an update it's like they've added more mouse clicks to do the same thing.

So many loving mouse clicks and steps...

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

I remember someone comparing an early 90s store / warehouse system that was keyboard only vs. a later mouse based GUI and his conclusion was the keyboard only software was superior, once you got over the initial hump of only using a mouse. Man I've tried to find that article again, I can't even remember if it was an article or a youtube video...

If the keyboard-only system was IBM’s RADS, I agree with this and there’s a 99% chance I blackout posted about it some time in the last 20 years.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Apparently they've changed the system in the post office so when the cashier looks up the price for your letter it gives the most expensive one first, and the cheapest fare is now on a second page. At least she realised before I paid an extra 2 quid for postage.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BigHead posted:

Florida should spend an extra $0.14 /mile and significantly improve the road infrastructure.

Florida is full of retired libertarians who get red-faced whenever their tax dollars are used to benefit other people. It's a miracle they still pave the roads.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MikeJF posted:

The English style cat's eyes handle them fine, they depress into the ground.

I lived in Scotland for a winter and the snow barely needs to be plowed rather than multiple times a week every week for months on end. I think they'd get wrecked by Canadian style snow plows? Happy to be proven wrong tho

Or north Americans just won't accept newfangled devil technology because of idiocy or lobbyists. Both equally likely.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

In PA, at night in the rain I pretty much just follow the car in front of me and hope they can see

this is what we do in wisconsin any time we drive anywhere

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Methheads here would steal them anyway.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Philthy posted:

this is what we do in wisconsin any time we drive anywhere

Wisconsin roads were scary at times. I spent most of my adult life there and grew up around Chicago so I'm just amazed anytime someone complains about the roads here in SC.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Everytime our suppliers of our e-commerce system do an update it's like they've added more mouse clicks to do the same thing.

So many loving mouse clicks and steps...
When I worked front counter at a trades supplier we required a signature for every sale. It took seven clicks to navigate through all the sub-menus to get to the signature capture when it probably would have taken a UI person under five minutes to stick a dedicated signature button anywhere on the main order page. gently caress infor.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dip Viscous posted:

Methheads here would steal them anyway.

Makes me wonder if there's some kind of step in the process that regulation can clamp down on in order to remove the monetary incentive from shady scrap people, which would then remove the main motive for theft. Maybe regulating the source of incoming materials to foundries similar to the fda and livestock?

I get that the fda is poorly funded and has way too few inspectors, but that kind of reinforces the point - even though the example agency is vastly underfunded and underpowered, it still got the job done in improving the hell out of things. There's a long way to go, sure, but progress is progress. Why not the same for the metal industry?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I design and build desktop software. Specifically, I work on production-class software which informs a lot of my opinions about how UI should be built. I have so much to say about this, and I would love to turn this into a talk at some make believe software design conference.

[rant here]

Also, if you have trouble with smaller elements, we have DPI settings nowadays. (Admittedly kinda poo poo on old things but the new stuff that loves to put padding everywhere is usually capable of properly dealing with DPI settings)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that was awesome. They had very smooth (and well maintained) but black asphalt roads everywhere around that area. Those reflectors should be on every single road.

Sorry your county exists to support a varsity football team, that is a non football expense

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lol

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1775215997898698907?t=e6P4t226rF4Qj5WNEqF_mA&s=19

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

who would have guessed it was mechanical turks all along?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

lmao i always wondered about that

when i first got into doing devops/infra and got an aws cert the ai grocery stores were one of the big tech innovations used to hype up aws

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Too many companies I've worked for (software tester) get so damned lost in their ui design that user workflows suffer. Thing you do 10 times is buried under 2 sub menus, which you have to navigate to EVERY time you do thing, complete with grids that have to be filtered each time and don't remember the last filter...because the menus look cool.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TrashMammal posted:

who would have guessed it was mechanical turks all along?

The artificial intelligence is actually 3 slaves in a trench coat

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Woolie Wool posted:

Sorry your county exists to support a varsity football team, that is a non football expense

They didn't even win this year! :mad:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
On the UI stuff, I just moved to a new floor at our office, and it's got a newer/fancier copier/printer model. Which means that the "one touch" button I sent up to scan stuff to my e-mail involves at least four additional button presses and two short loading screens AFTER I hit the button with my name.

EDIT: Oh, and it doesn't stay set on my e-mail address, so I've got to do it every time unless I send every document through it in one go.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But think of how much more convenient it is to send a pdf link to download the ScannerPlusConnectPro Trial app to your office desk phone

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

One thing I've noticed being slightly less lovely lately is menus on blu rays. Most things I've bought in the last few years have really simple menus that (after the inevitable company ident and copyright notice) transition to whatever you're trying to look at more or less instantly. Compared to most DVDs and older blu rays I've owned, where there were unskippable trailers and lengthy animated menu transitions it's kinda nice.

Special shout out to the loving awful 'In Bruges' blu ray where, if your blu ray player is connected to the internet for any reason (like, if it's a playstation) it not only has unskippable trailers but it actually forces you to wait while it downloads trailers and then makes you watch them. I'm not sure if the 'BD-Live' feature ever got used for anything other than this kinda poo poo. I remember magazines talking about how you'd be able to sync up watching a film with other people over the internet, and I thought that was a great idea (I still do, I regularly watch films with friends and family using watch parties on prime), but I don't know if that ever actually materialised on actual discs. Anyway, thankfully you can disable all BD-Live bullshit on most modern players.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Ikea now requires an email address for you to buy tall, narrow furniture like dressers. They pinkie promise they won't use it for anything other than to send safety information, but if that were the case it'd come in the box like it has for the last twenty years. I've had way, way too much experience with companies gathering my data on false pretenses to use for commercial means to be fooled by this, and while I expect this from an American company, I went out of my way to go to IKEA specifically because this sort of brazen bullshit doesn't happen there. Well, didn't. Does now, though!

Good news is they don't validate (yet).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Your email address or an email address?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve mostly given up on the idea of printing things. Way too complicated

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

euphronius posted:

Kind of in the same boat. Just too much trouble right now. I want the fidelity of resin printing, with extremely low failure rates, and no cleanup or post-curing. If they get to the point where you can load a model, hit print, and it spits out a ready to go model, with no further input or post care needed, I might jump in then.

But regular paper printing? Ugh, never.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I had to print out my tax returns and take them into an IRS Office, because I didn't receive the letter to confirm my identity in the mail (which is its own enshittification, because apparently filing fake tax returns with other peoples SSNs is a thing)

It cost me 7.50 to print out 30-odd pages in black and white. For a stack of paper the IRS absolutely demanded to have in full, and which the IRS agent looked at the top two pages, and then I had this big stack of paper with a bunch of PII for literally no reason whatsoever

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

euphronius posted:

It's amazing that even the giant network printers at my work cannot manage to print without some kind of fuckup or error or time out, on the daily.
Those things look like they cost a lot of money plus whatever monthly maintenance contract. And it's still just flaming garbage.

PC load letter? Statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged. Things are not meant to be printed. They have taken us for utter fools.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think my it department cares if I print or not. There is no reasonable avenue for me to connect a printer to my computer

It’s just like how they replaced the perfectly working landlines with internet phones ?? That have since never worked . There is no way to call me at work at my old business office phone number . I guess that is ok

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's amazing that even the giant network printers at my work cannot manage to print without some kind of fuckup or error or time out, on the daily.
Those things look like they cost a lot of money plus whatever monthly maintenance contract. And it's still just flaming garbage.

PC load letter? Statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged. Things are not meant to be printed. They have taken us for utter fools.

We had a wide format printer error out and refuse to print because one of the parts was at the end of it's rated life. It wasn't broken. It just printed exactly 10,000 feet or whatever and then crossed its arms and stopped until we paid for a professional service plan.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

euphronius posted:

I don’t think my it department cares if I print or not. There is no reasonable avenue for me to connect a printer to my computer

That's not a case of them not caring, it's a case of them deciding its not needed for your job. Why are you trying to add a printer when work doesn't already have one set up?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got a new computer

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

euphronius posted:

I got a new computer

sucks for you

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

So that's when you go to your boss and say "IT hosed up and i can't do my job until they fix it. Do you have a different computer that works?"

If you're not paid specifically to be a computer janitor, then don't budge an inch. At work you admit that you know how to use a computer, but you tell them that know absolutely nothing about configuring them and if they press you say "I'm not comfortable taking on that liability"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Outrail posted:

They dig out a little dip out of the asphalt and they work just fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah don't be an IT scab

Printers such because places don't pay for printer people anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just email stuff I need printed to people who can print

It works out