Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’ve already seen he’s given predictions on players equivalent to crystal balls and they’re calling them Fong Bombs which is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://newsradio1290wtks.iheart.com/content/2024-04-01-hundreds-of-alumni-diagnosed-with-cancer-took-classes-at-shut-down-building/

Hope our wolfpack goons are okay :ohdear:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

You know, the savvy industry veteran of the NIL/transfer demon portal that's been around for... 5 years

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Asproigerosis posted:

You know, the savvy industry veteran of the NIL/transfer demon portal that's been around for... 5 years

Steve Wiltfong?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat no wonder jimmy v got that poo poo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a crazy story. Never heard of PCBs in building materials doing that. Ground contamination yeah but not a building itself. I figured it would be like radiological thing when I clicked on it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

FSU and Clemson at Big10 feels real weird.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Big rear end On Fire posted:

FSU and Clemson at Big10 feels real weird.

hasn't happened yet as far as i know

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’d be funniest if ACC just boots Clemson and FSU and the Big 2 says no to two squabbling bomb throwers who have a problem with contracts they willingly signed, so they just end up in the Big XII with smaller revenue shares.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But apparently they don't read agreements they sign, so the Big Ten can probably trick them into paying a membership fee instead of a slice of revenue

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I mean the ACC basically has SMU paying them to be memebrshis, so sure. Got for it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Alabama fans already looking past UConn

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

But apparently they don't read agreements they sign, so the Big Ten can probably trick them into paying a membership fee instead of a slice of revenue

fsu is one of the few athletic departments in the country that i think would run at a loss on football just for the sake of grabbing at that brass ring

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

It’d be funniest if ACC just boots Clemson and FSU and the Big 2 says no to two squabbling bomb throwers who have a problem with contracts they willingly signed, so they just end up in the Big XII with smaller revenue shares.

But I’m not holding my breath.

we don't live in a just world, so this won't happen.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

we don't live in a just world, so this won't happen.

No doubt. But it’s nice to daydream.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

We live in the dumbest timeline, how NIL got rolled out and its ripple effect is proof.

To clairify, NIL itself is not bad, but we live in the dumbest timeline so we got it in the stupidest most poorly designed option.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

The Notorious ZSB posted:

To clairify, NIL itself is not bad, but we live in the dumbest timeline so we got it in the stupidest most poorly designed option.

Agreed. Kadyn Proctor rolled into Iowa, stole a couple million, then rolled out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Agreed. Kadyn Proctor rolled into Iowa, stole a couple million, then rolled out.

Honestly I'm waiting for a five-star to pull seven figures before setting foot on campus then saying "lol I can work at my dad's dealership and, like, not get CTE instead"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Lol yeah that owns

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

GD_American posted:

Honestly I'm waiting for a five-star to pull seven figures before setting foot on campus then saying "lol I can work at my dad's dealership and, like, not get CTE instead"

Forget commitments. The real fun will be watching the Top 50 players every year to see if they actually sign their LOI.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ohio State hired Carlos Locklyn away from Oregon to be the RB coach.

Sorry, Ducks, I guess?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Sorry, Ducks, I guess?

He's a good coach, really emphasizes ball security and Oregon has been one of the top teams in that category the past few years. Kind of an old school hard rear end type of coach which really works with most of the kids he coaches but a few of the "softer" ones might start eyeing the portal if they can't deal with it. Curious how he'll get along with Chip.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Sorry, Ducks, I guess?

Obviously we just need to bring Gary Campbell back out of retirement.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

He's been around a bit, but I just noticed the Major League pitcher named Bowden Francis.

Wanna guess where he's from?

There was a child in my rather redneck hometown named Athens years ago. There has to be a ton of children named for Bear Bryant and probably at least a few named for Saban.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I wonder who starts this year. Easy answer would be Will Howard but reports are saying he isn’t that much ahead of everyone else and they like what they are seeing from Julian Sayin

Would be shocked if it’s anyone but Howard. Most of this stuff grew from one clip of him missing kinda bad on an out route to the opposite side of the field.

From what I understand, Day is working on stuff with him mechanically so I’d imagine there’s going to be some rough poo poo as he adjusts to those changes.

The fact that a lot of the hubbub seems to come from media people who are traditionally mouthpieces for the program leads me to think Day is probably nervous about the possibility of going into the season with Howard and two true freshmen so he wants to make this look like more of a competition than it actually is to keep the room from thinning out.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1775649129068155167

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Proposal is 70 permanent members of the football Senate I guess then 10 slots for which the other 60 FBS teams compete with promotion and relegation.
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1775649395062587625

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Truther Vandross posted:

Would be shocked if it’s anyone but Howard. Most of this stuff grew from one clip of him missing kinda bad on an out route to the opposite side of the field.

From what I understand, Day is working on stuff with him mechanically so I’d imagine there’s going to be some rough poo poo as he adjusts to those changes.

The fact that a lot of the hubbub seems to come from media people who are traditionally mouthpieces for the program leads me to think Day is probably nervous about the possibility of going into the season with Howard and two true freshmen so he wants to make this look like more of a competition than it actually is to keep the room from thinning out.

Michigan vs. tOSU is such a good rivalry that they have a QB-Battle Battle.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shocked Pikachu face

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I hope this idea dies like the attempted European soccer Super League.

"The 70 permanent teams would never be in danger of moving down, while the second division would have the incentive of promotion and relegation." This is stupid, either go all the way with promotion relegation or don't try it. There is no reason schools like SMU or Baylor should be permanent super league members while USF, Memphis, and Tulane have to be promoted with threat of relegation. It'd be hilarious to see schools like Texas or Penn State get relegated.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 4, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Proposal is 70 permanent members of the football Senate I guess then 10 slots for which the other 60 FBS teams compete with promotion and relegation.
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1775649395062587625

This is wish-casting by a few suits that’s never going to happen with this many teams, this many spots, or in the next decade in any form; but it’s interesting to see where their heads are at.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I hope this idea dies like the attempted European soccer Super League.

"The 70 permanent teams would never be in danger of moving down, while the second division would have the incentive of promotion and relegation." This is stupid, either go all the way with promotion relegation or don't try it. There is no reason schools like SMU or Baylor should be permanent super league members while USF, Memphis, and Tulane have to be promoted with threat of relegation. It'd be hilarious to see schools like Texas or Penn State get relegated.
Agreed. Everyone should be in danger of relegation, even if there's some sort of hysteresis like "must be in the bottom 10 for 4 consecutive years" or something.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Do that but nobody is protected. Bottom 5 get relegated every year.

Break the other level into 4 groups. Group winners get auto promotions, and have a four team playoff for a title.

The next two for each group do an 8 team tournament for the last promotion spot.

This is probably stupid. I just want more football.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo boy they need to tell these "sports execs" to gently caress off

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Truther Vandross posted:

I just want more football.

This is why I'm gonna try to get into watching the UFL and giving it my spirit energy to not fold after a season

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A side effect of this happening is that everybody, everywhere, will finally stop pretending all 134 FBS teams are legitimately competing for the same Championship.

They’re not. It’s not an opinion or anything. It’s reality.

Dozens of programs will shrivel on the vine and die.

NO top tier high school graduate is going to voluntarily play for a relegated team no matter what they pay.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gonz posted:

A side effect of this happening is that everybody, everywhere, will finally stop pretending all 134 FBS teams are legitimately competing for the same Championship.

At least half of every conference is pretending at that point. They all have a chance at making the playoff now.

Really should be more G5 spots but we have to pretend teams who will place 3rd and 4th in their conference belong. Since the NY6 was started, G5 teams win their NY6 game more often than Eastern Conference teams win the NBA Finals. In that same time, the NFC's Super Bowl win rate is equal to the G5's NY6 win rate.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 4, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Dozens of programs will shrivel on the vine and die.

NO top tier high school graduate is going to voluntarily play for a relegated team no matter what they pay.

Top tier high school players don't go to G5s as is outside of unusual circumstances.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

This is wish-casting by a few suits that’s never going to happen with this many teams, this many spots, or in the next decade in any form; but it’s interesting to see where their heads are at.

There's a lot of presidents and admins who are seeing the gravy train start to dry up. If you're a Wake Forest or Baylor, maybe even a Vanderbilt who is part of the haves for now, you want to do whatever you can to ensure you have a piece of an ever growing pie. Meanwhile, TV execs and streaming execs are probably being bombared by hedge funds on how they can put together an 18-24 team Super League and keep all of the broadcast revenue for themselves.

Like I've said before, take that list of the 18 most popular teams posted above, add like UNC and a couple others (A&M/Miami come to mind), at the very most you're looking at 32 and then you're having to ask yourself "do we really need Ole Miss in this?", maybe some senators get pissy and demand the service academies be added for some cheap flag humping points. But that'll be major college football before too long, they just haven't figured out the prices yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A reorganization of the sport that extreme just seems like a gargantuan undertaking in terms of contractual untangling and negotiation that nobody will ultimately have the stomach for anytime soon; not when everyone is making so much money already.

A super league of any kind would require a level of coordination and cooperation that we’ve never seen in the history of the sport. I wouldn’t worry about it.