Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, I'll throw down some fish ponds. I was gonna upgrade the coop first but I wanna feel like I'm moving on the fish. Good advice pals thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Stingrays are nice in a pond because they produce dragon teeth, which later in the game becomes one of the most pain in the rear end items to gather.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Stingrays are nice in a pond because they produce dragon teeth, which later in the game becomes one of the most pain in the rear end items to gather.

100% this, gently caress dragon teeth.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That and also stingrays are ADORABLE and I love them. :3: They are little flappy friends.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I will forgive them for what they did to Steve Irwin

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cranappleberry posted:

I will forgive them for what they did to Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin would have.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Please tell me there is a failsafe or something in getting dwarf scrolls because I just need 3 and it just will not drop for me.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Leal posted:

Please tell me there is a failsafe or something in getting dwarf scrolls because I just need 3 and it just will not drop for me.

Not really. Wiki says that it's a .5% drop from pretty much all the mobs in the base mine.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Dwarf_Scroll_III

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Buy a chicken and name it [98]

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Reporting that the new furniture catalogues gently caress severely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Not really. Wiki says that it's a .5% drop from pretty much all the mobs in the base mine.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Dwarf_Scroll_III

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Buy a chicken and name it [98]

:negative:

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Leal posted:

Fun fact: The minifridge counts as a storage when adjacent to a workshop while still providing its contents to the kitchen

Woah, I had to re-read that to get what you mean. Even if the workbench isn't in the house?

I was also wondering if the question regarding fridges from two pages back was answered, as yes fridges will work as extra storage if adjacent to the kitchen, similar to chests around a bench.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can't put a mini-fridge down outside.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm just doing regular cucumbers and eels for now for cooking. I had a lava eel pond for awhile, but I couldn't get past 3 eels because the little bastards wanted basalt. The expensive lava eel roe/smoked lava eel would be nice but after 2 seasons of no basalt I gave up. If I get one in the future maybe I'll make another lava eel pond.

The Basalt is only one of three things it can request at Population 3. If I don't have one handy I "re-roll" by taking all the fish out and resetting the pond and hoping when they make the request again it's one of the "easier" two options (two diamonds or a dwarf scroll 3). Yeah lava Eel requests for Population 3 are hit or miss the rest are pretty easy (fire quartz, mega bombs, and an Iridium Bar)

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Alxprit posted:

You can't put a mini-fridge down outside.

Ah, hadn't tried. Makes sense though, Harvey would be raiding it nightly.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a Raccoon hat. I feel like I just won the game.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

We got the fish farmer bundle in the game I'm playing with my wife and despite also having the skill to get roe from treasure chests, building a pond is probably the only thing we can do to finish it. I didn't know they let you refill the watering can and we were considering building a well first, so a fish pond it is! Might as well start with trout since the trout derby is going on at the moment. We got the squid ink from a squid kid in the mines so that was easy

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's Perfection, and then there's the Everything Bagel.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm looking at the price tag on the gold clock, and uh... so is endgame money making just ancient fruit plantations and fairy honey farms?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
afaik the big “fire and forget” moneymaker is coupling ancient fruit farming with kegs and the artisan profession, since both wine and ancient fruit take one week. Plus stuffing your cellar full of as many casks as it will take, to age a chunk of those wines to iridium quality.

Slightly more involved is doing it with starfruit, which has to be replanted every harvest, but yields pricier wine.

I've never bothered with either and never bought the gold clock.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Trying to go for perfection this time, never actually did before so yea... guess wine it is! :cheers:

Been wondering about sheep - a bunch of barns with auto petters and auto grabbers, spec into rancher and just sleep through a few years then pick up a few thousand wools. Kindna seems like a joja run thing which I also never did.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's way more expensive to get up and running materials-wise but you can also run sheds full of Crystalariums making diamonds. A full shed produces an income of around 135K with the gemologist perk every five days, and you don't need to do anything but pop in and empty the machines unlike managing wine.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Unintentionally, I have become history's greatest monster

My dog is trapped by the stable, the bin, and the trees. It's actually really convenient because now he's always right next to his bowl and I can give him his morning pat at the same time I fill it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

My dog is trapped by the stable, the bin, and the trees. It's actually really convenient because now he's always right next to his bowl and I can give him his morning pat at the same time I fill it

That's just distracting from the real crime, which is that top right sprinkler!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Wafflecopper posted:

I did the same thing and didn't worry about it too much since my dog would still warp indoors at night time, until I needed to use a farm warp totem at 1:40am and I too, was stuck by the really stupid placement of a couple buildings.

Luckily moving buildings around isn't a big deal

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Daztek posted:

That's just distracting from the real crime, which is that top right sprinkler!

if i moved it down a row there would still be just as many wasted tiles. it's not my fault the tillable area isn't a perfect rectangle!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Function over Form Farmers rise up

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Leal posted:

Dwarf scroll 2 for me.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i found one of the best ways to get scrolls done was farming coal sprites for the monster hunt reward ring, b/c the burglar ring just makes on kill stuff so much easier to get and will also pay off later with finding stuff like rabbit's feet from dragonflies and iridium from slimes and poo poo. also i end up finding more prismatic shards as drops than from mining. its been a while but if i remember blue slimes have a higher rate of dropping scroll 3 and they're around the coal sprites. blue slimes also can drop 2s

also a nice little boost to coal supply from farming them up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sloober posted:

i found one of the best ways to get scrolls done was farming coal sprites for the monster hunt reward ring, b/c the burglar ring just makes on kill stuff so much easier to get and will also pay off later with finding stuff like rabbit's feet from dragonflies and iridium from slimes and poo poo. also i end up finding more prismatic shards as drops than from mining. its been a while but if i remember blue slimes have a higher rate of dropping scroll 3 and they're around the coal sprites. blue slimes also can drop 2s

also a nice little boost to coal supply from farming them up

Yeah, with the Burglar Ring and Monster Musk from one of the Wizard’s bulletin board quests you can get ungodly amounts of drops spending a lucky day fighting enemies.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it's a good idea to shift some of your perks around based on what you need and when. Prospector is good when you need coal and the +1 ore/vein on miner is helpful early as well. Gatherer and Botanist are quite good early on but eventually you'll need way more wood or need that wood earlier if you didn't plant trees to cover yourself ahead of time.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Don't mean to be a monster but in case anyone didn't know, filling the water bowl doesn't do anything mechanically. My cat has gone without water for a full year now.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

it's a good idea to shift some of your perks around based on what you need and when. Prospector is good when you need coal and the +1 ore/vein on miner is helpful early as well. Gatherer and Botanist are quite good early on but eventually you'll need way more wood or need that wood earlier if you didn't plant trees to cover yourself ahead of time.

I might be weird but I have made a rule for myself that I don't chop trees on the farm unless they are blocking new growth or in the way of my farming plot. I chop all the external trees as soon as they're ready for the free regrowth. I am sitting on like 700 wood and a similar amount of seeds in early Y1 winter but haven't had to plant any to maintain sustainability.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

Don't mean to be a monster but in case anyone didn't know, filling the water bowl doesn't do anything mechanically. My cat has gone without water for a full year now.

Wrong, it makes your pet happier and builds friendship a little faster.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

it's worth half as much as a pet is, and you can max your pet affection by the end of year 2 with just pets, so it's strictly a 'how much sooner do you want to ignore your pet' item

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

One of the points for the Year 3 assessment from Grandpa's ghost is if you maxed out friendship with your pet, and the two things that increase it are filling the water bowl and petting them every day

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
No longer true! There is now the minor benefit that max heart pets can drop gifts when pet. And you can have multiple of them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tylana posted:

No longer true! There is now the minor benefit that max heart pets can drop gifts when pet. And you can have multiple of them.

ahh that's nice, i havent played the new update yet. its on my list for later this year

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Last night I wanted to swap out my default bed for a cuter bed I got from the ticket machine, but my cat was sleeping on it and the game informed me I could not change a bed currently in use. That's the most realistically cat thing ever, A+ programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

ILL Machina posted:

your loving cat is dying