Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Medullah posted:

I liked Cougar Town quite a bit but holy poo poo the title was awful. Just was expecting some Real Housewives type stuff

But if it hadn’t been for the awful title we would have gotten the great title card gags as the show went on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I legit had no idea that it was a Bill Lawrence show, the title put me right off and I never bothered to look into it any further.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

started watching Resident Alien

has a mix of the freaky alien stuff + medical tv show stuff that has me interested, and like the alien trying to act human antics

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

zoux posted:

All the Star Trek starship bridges are too big and spacious

They need a lot of oxygen for all the speeches

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I mean, everyone of us are all in on this right?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1775225884464775589?t=fmp0RqNMD2-7WTMOfLh-pA&s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit nothing to see here

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The tweet's a little misleading, HBO has only ordered a pilot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I am convinced that the only reason anyone watches a Vanderpump on television is because the name gets stuck in your head and it vaguely sounds like Vanderbilt.

I always hear "Vander pump rules" in the tone and cadence of "tunnel snakes rule" fallout 3 remix song.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The tweet's a little misleading, HBO has only ordered a pilot.

Yeah but he still wrote in starred in the rest of the episodes without any cameras or other actors and nobody can prove he didn't.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/Variety/status/1775114201016467936?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GateOfD posted:

started watching Resident Alien

has a mix of the freaky alien stuff + medical tv show stuff that has me interested, and like the alien trying to act human antics

Alan is just stupendous in the role and deserves a bunch of awards, and s3 they finally find someone his equal. S2 is a bit of a slog at times, but it’s a fun show that feels like it’s about to hit its natural end and I’ll miss it. Really it could just take away all the plot and just have him react to things in the most absurd ways without anyone thinking twice, and I could watch it forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He didn't finish the story that Bryan Fuller tore through a solid concrete wall screeching and clawing at the executives' eyes seconds later, and the survivors were so impressed by his moxie they let him write a couple of episodes of DS9.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
S3 of Resident Alien really hasn't been doing it for me. The writing quality really dropped, now it feels too sitcommy. It used to feel more like a quirky comedy/drama, but it feels like they picked up too many writers from traditional sitcom rooms. Reminds me of S3 of Arrested Development for some reason. Still very funny, but subtly different and lesser humor, and suddenly throwing in a lot of contrivances and new unnecessary b and c stories, and a reaaaaaal meandering a-story that's mostly wheel-spinning. I'd still be bummed if it didn't get picked up for another season, but I would really want a course correction.

They will not get me to give a poo poo about Misogynist Cop with No Redeemable Qualities no matter how many times they try, and while I am desperate for the abduction storyline to go somewhere, the mayor's wife is not a compelling character, and I don't want to see multiple episodes in a short season centering around watching people cruelly abuse the deputy's kindness. They're spreading their story too thin and giving too much screen time to characters who they've clearly fallen too in love with. I love Asta and want to see her relationship with Jay grow over time, but I do not need a wacky best friend/daughter roommate farce episode. How about spending a little screentime on Max trying to be an alien tracker for a change? Was bird lady really funny or charming enough to center half the season around it? So much stuff is just dropped for like half the season in favor of this really circuitous stuff, which feels really different so S1 and S2 to me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 3, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

S1 is easily the best season, I don’t even really compare it to that anymore. I just pick out the things I like and kinda just don’t worry too much about the stuff I don’t. I think we have the same opinions on each aspect (I really didn’t care for the cop at the beginning, he does make me laugh on occasion now and the mayor and his wife can just fall down a hole as far as I’m concerned) and I really just stick around for Harry stuff. I feel like S3 is having to deal with the fallout of having too much stuff happen in S2 and a reduced episode count would’ve been better that year.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wasn't sold on what's been happening this season, but as of last week's ep, I think it's heading for an interesting place with the plots coming together. I think it's got like at least one more good season in it with all the named characters knowing Harry's secret, and probably leading up to an ending paralleling the town's famous miner story. I don't mind them having wacky non-alien related adventures but that sort of thing is usually best in shows with more episodes per season. I do like having episodes that aren't related to the main plot (some of the best eps of other shows were like this!), but this 8-10 episode season format tends to make people feel like a show is treading water when it does that stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the mayor and his wife :shrug:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Shows that are well-regarded by both audiences and critics where I watched one or more of the first episodes but absolutely couldn't get into them:

Happy Valley

That one where the reluctant hitman is brought back by I think his dad

That one where some other hitman sees and tasks to flying animals and such. Maybe the same as the previous mention.

I feel like The Tourist would be the same for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley s1 is incredible. What’s the other one, Ray Donovan? I ain’t care about that poo poo

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I see adverts for a game show (I think) called Rich in Paradise, where people compete to be the one to win a pre-paid credit card with 50,000 GBP on it that they have to spend really quickly. That description doesn't live up to the name. What are they going to buy? An e-bike, a some dresses and shoes, a new TV and phone, and a run through Sephora?

I don't like shows and contests in general that take millions to produce but the prize is so small compared to the budget. I realize that it's supply and demand: unless an enormous sum is the starring attraction, they'll pay out the absolute minimum they expect to get the contestants they want to participate. It still seems so unfair. 'We pay the hot $20,000 and episode but the grand prize 15 contestants are competing for over a month of their lives they had to take off work is $10,000.'

Not just shows and contests. Art exhibitions where just the ceremony costs >10x the prize to pull off. And overall doesn't even provide six months' expenses of living like a poor artist. And where there are 185 entrants who have spent a year on their submission.

Escobarbarian posted:

Happy Valley s1 is incredible. What’s the other one, Ray Donovan? I ain’t care about that poo poo

They don't resolve anything in that season, do they?

My favourite grim drama about a detective who isn't afraid to tread all over the rules has to be Luther. They're similar characters actually.

(And no it's not Ray Donavon. It's some show that starts in Bruges or what have you and his father tracks him down to get back into it. He sees like flying pink dragons and stuff although he's not taking drugs or irrc has any mental illness beyond what might make someone a professional hired killer.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bright Bart posted:

They don't resolve anything in that season, do they?

Yeah, it resolves entirely satisfactorily and there was no need for the subsequent seasons which got progressively worse.

Season Two is the one that leaves the main plot unresolved and even then because you can tell there was the expectation of a third and final season hanging over it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bright Bart posted:

I see adverts for a game show (I think) called Rich in Paradise, where people compete to be the one to win a pre-paid credit card with 50,000 GBP on it that they have to spend really quickly. That description doesn't live up to the name. What are they going to buy? An e-bike, a some dresses and shoes, a new TV and phone, and a run through Sephora?

Are they not allowed to just go blow it on a car?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't look into it but the producers are pitching it as a spree at the end of a grueling competition I think.

This presumably means that as the show has been filmed, the producers know that the winner chose a shopping excursion even if they didn't have to.

There may have been rules or hurdles against buying something big but for the audience boring. Like you need to blow the money in a short period of time and no dealership will sell you a new car within hours and charge it to your card. Unless things have changed.

If you want to store value you could buy like 25 MacBooks and sell them as needed to buy what you actually want.

But that's kind of my point. That amount isn't enough to outfit a large family with Apple products let alone to entirely redo the house you already own.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Alan is just stupendous in the role and deserves a bunch of awards, and s3 they finally find someone his equal. S2 is a bit of a slog at times, but it’s a fun show that feels like it’s about to hit its natural end and I’ll miss it. Really it could just take away all the plot and just have him react to things in the most absurd ways without anyone thinking twice, and I could watch it forever.

S2 did suffer from needing to service the story if it's ancillary cast instead of the main story which was portioned out perfectly in S1 but there were highlights even there. One of the best comedies of the last few years. Wish S3 would drop on Netflix already

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

(And no it's not Ray Donavon. It's some show that starts in Bruges or what have you and his father tracks him down to get back into it. He sees like flying pink dragons and stuff although he's not taking drugs or irrc has any mental illness beyond what might make someone a professional hired killer.)

Keen to know what this was, twisting my brain to try and make Barry or Patriot (with the ducks) fit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If it's Patriot that's hilarious

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Argue posted:

I wasn't sold on what's been happening this season, but as of last week's ep, I think it's heading for an interesting place with the plots coming together. I think it's got like at least one more good season in it with all the named characters knowing Harry's secret, and probably leading up to an ending paralleling the town's famous miner story. I don't mind them having wacky non-alien related adventures but that sort of thing is usually best in shows with more episodes per season. I do like having episodes that aren't related to the main plot (some of the best eps of other shows were like this!), but this 8-10 episode season format tends to make people feel like a show is treading water when it does that stuff.

Isn't the next episode the series finale?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

If it's Patriot that's hilarious

Other than the dragons it sounds like Patriot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Medullah posted:

Isn't the next episode the series finale?

No, at least not yet. Hell, the show runner was just talking about what he would like to do in season 4.

The only thing that's fueling these "it's ending" stories is the reduced episode count for Season 3 and the fact that 2 and 3 got renewed so early.

The sale to Netflix and the fact that it's been on the top charts for Netflix since then are pretty positive indicators that it could be renewed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

No, at least not yet. Hell, the show runner was just talking about what he would like to do in season 4.

The only thing that's fueling these "it's ending" stories is the reduced episode count for Season 3 and the fact that 2 and 3 got renewed so early.

The sale to Netflix and the fact that it's been on the top charts for Netflix since then are pretty positive indicators that it could be renewed.

Oh that's good, I swear I had read it officially somewhere. Was a bit worried because it seems like there's still a lot to wrap up in 1 episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume part of it is how Syfy just isn't really doing a lot of actual content any more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

I assume part of it is how Syfy just isn't really doing a lot of actual content any more.

Like CW and superhero shows.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

This sounds like it could be Happy! with the dragons, but I can't remember his father being involved.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The magical friend in Happy! is a unicorn, friend

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Resident Alien is a show that I could have sworn has been on since like 2016. I have no idea why but it just always shocks me that its third season only just started. I must be getting it confused with one of those other comics-based Syfy shows from the mid-10s.

Anyway Paramount just released a Star Trek Discovery promo with actual Mass Effect music in it, lol.

https://youtu.be/F9Xkd8pltB0?si=iA8Ak3TUv4c4B8wZ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the one that was a movie and then a TV show which was basically the plot of District 9 but with Star Trek aliens instead of shrimp?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

What was the one that was a movie and then a TV show which was basically the plot of District 9 but with Star Trek aliens instead of shrimp?

Alien Nation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes thank you! Anyway that's what I'm always confusing Resident Alien for

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1775561399823171673

lol looks like Lana's gambit failed

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The movies will end once Keanu is Harrison Ford's age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You either exist as a standalone one off movie or get enough sequels people hate it.