Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

deep dish peat moss posted:

Level 7 bot missions right now feel like level 9 bug missions did before any patches - it's just a nonstop slog of superheavy units that demand AT weapons. I've seen single dropships carrying 3 hulks, two dropships both carrying tanks, and at least 1 hulk or tank every pair of dropships. It's brutal and not very fun to play against. The new units are cool but I'm going to stick with bugs where literally every weapon is viable because this game is more fun when you can use any loadout you want.
That's not normal for 7 and definitely not a patch change.

Tanks really aren't that threatening though. A single regular air strike has a pretty high chance of killing one and unlike all the other heavies they move too slow to avoid them.

Flamethrower hulks now scare me a lot more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
stun grenade + autocannon or AMR makes hulks into chumps, and if multiple drop you can stun them all at once

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

We just did a buncha Bot 7s on the desert world and didn't see any new enemies. In fact we kept remarking it was an easier time than our usual level 5 runs. Lotta variance in mission difficulty, it sounds like.

But we also all had the Dune OST playing so maybe that was making us Powerful.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I swear jetpack melee bots are like my #1 cause of idiot deaths :mad:
https://i.imgur.com/B8zg6o7.mp4

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Those new Jet fabricators are no joke. The last game I played had two spawn next to one another (a medium outpost?) where a hellbomb would have taken both out but we just got overwhelmed by jets.

They're definitely a top priority the moment you spot one.

I notice we get new walk-in intros when the game loads in. That's cute, adds a little variety.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sixto Lezcano posted:

We just did a buncha Bot 7s on the desert world and didn't see any new enemies. In fact we kept remarking it was an easier time than our usual level 5 runs. Lotta variance in mission difficulty, it sounds like.

But we also all had the Dune OST playing so maybe that was making us Powerful.

we just did a bunch of bot 7s on the desert world and lmao jesus christ i have never seen so many robots and the double gunship tower variation is some real poo poo when you're also constantly being pushed by continuous triple drops of tanks/hulks/god knows how many devastators

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

explosivo posted:

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills seeing people talking about an arc thrower nerf. I think it feels so much better now that it staggers and the range difference didn't seem that drastic to me. I was still able to hit plenty of targets at a range I didn't really expect it to. Honestly a huge fan of the change.

The range nerf is not the issue at all, absolutely I barely noticed that. It's the rate of fire nerf, its really noticable. The gun is still good, but it lost like 30-40% of its dps thats pretty huge.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
it should be clearer to player about what you can shoot to destroy and what you can airstrike/orbital and then what needs terminal work and/or a hell bomb.

from my vague reckoning
shootable:
broadcast tower
spore tower
(eventually) shrieker nests
bot AA
bot mortar
bot tank turrets

bombable:
rogue lab (500kg)
bot fabricators (airstrike or if you're lucky and the door is open the cluster bomb strike)

terminal work/hell bomb:
gunship factories
detection towers
strategem jammer

correct me if i'm wrong obviously.

also the gunship factory doesnt look destroyed enough once you hell bomb it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BadLlama posted:

I mean in the sense that fire tornado just wrecks everything bugs, you etc

Hmm, weaponized fire tornadoes, I can work with that.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
detection towers die to a 500

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Saraiguma posted:

i've tried so many times how did i manage to fail every time :negative:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Eagle strafing and rockets should engage flying units if they encounter them on their pass

Re: hulks, which eagles will reliably kill them besides 500s? I tried rockets and it seemed hit or miss

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

i've tried so many times how did i manage to fail every time :negative:

a few of the layouts have really bad terrain and beacons will roll like 300 feet away

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

That's not normal for 7 and definitely not a patch change.

Tanks really aren't that threatening though. A single regular air strike has a pretty high chance of killing one and unlike all the other heavies they move too slow to avoid them.

Flamethrower hulks now scare me a lot more than anything else.

It seems to be just on Maia, I switched to tibit and it stopped happening

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've seen detection towers die to:

500kg
380 Barrage
Walking Barrage
Laser

But all of them except laser are extremely hit or miss. Even if the 500kg beacon lands right at the base of the tower sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. :shrug:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 3, 2024

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Level 7 boring now level 8 is the new sweet spot. Chaotic goodness

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The 500kg comes in at an angle from behind you, sometimes the best way to hit things is to stand with your back to the tower and throw a few feet forward - you can catch the bomb halfway up the building. This also works for cannon towers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How good are the cybernetic armours for increasing throwing range? Is 30% increase a notable change?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Saraiguma posted:

They’ll die to an orbital laser too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arc Hammer posted:

How good are the cybernetic armours for increasing throwing range? Is 30% increase a notable change?

yes and you shouldn't use them because of that. it was super loving weird switching to another armor bonus

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Arc Hammer posted:

Do not do it. You will never be able to go back. You will spend the rest of your dives with a backpack full of grenades and nothing else but orbital bombardments. Sure it'll be cool the first few times you annihilate an entire base from 90m, but ... I mean no that's still cool. Every other armor feels like poo poo after though.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

causticBeet posted:

Eagle strafing and rockets should engage flying units if they encounter them on their pass

This would make a SICK ship upgrade.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

causticBeet posted:

Re: hulks, which eagles will reliably kill them besides 500s? I tried rockets and it seemed hit or miss

dont even bother trying to kill hulks with an eagle, same deal with chargers dont bother its too unreliable.

if you can directly hit a hulk with 500kg or you get a bunch of solid damage on its back sure but 9 times out of 10 it will turn around just as the eagle is about to nail it and tank it on the front or side.

Arc Hammer posted:

I am forever ruined and cannot play without using the throw range bonus, dont do it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

raverrn posted:

The 500kg comes in at an angle from behind you, sometimes the best way to hit things is to stand with your back to the tower and throw a few feet forward - you can catch the bomb halfway up the building. This also works for cannon towers.

It actually depends on where you are on the map. The closer to the edge, the more of an angle. Same applies to the Orbital Laser but it's less important there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I love this game. SAM sites do exactly what you'd expect to gunships. :allears:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Away all Goats posted:

It actually depends on where you are on the map. The closer to the edge, the more of an angle. Same applies to the Orbital Laser but it's less important there.

You're thinking of orbitals, eagles fly in based on your facing. Strafing run and 500kg both come in from behind you, the air strikes and cluster fly in perpendicular.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Horace Kinch posted:

Today I learned autocannon shots can ricochet off the flaps on foundries and land inside, blowing them up. Further evidence that the autocannon is supreme.

I saw someone do that and couldn't believe it.

Also only kills i've gotten with airburst is against teammates, seems useless against bots.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Eediot Jedi posted:

yesterday i saw them to exactly jack poo poo to any and all dropships

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

You're thinking of orbitals, eagles fly in based on your facing. Strafing run and 500kg both come in from behind you, the air strikes and cluster fly in perpendicular.

Yeah I read that post wrong.

On an unrelated note, gunships are way more dangerous than Shriekers and harder to kill since the Dominator couldn't even penetrate their armor. Laser cannon was also much more efficient at downing them than the Quasar

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Back Hack posted:

I've learned to hit stuff with the plasma Punisher from long range where I basically treat it like a mortar, and I don't know if it's true, but I swear the plasma bolt explosion gets bigger the more air time it has.

I've noticed vfx like distant blood and explosions get scaled up for clarity. It's especially noticeable when you kill bugs from a distance. The scorcher has the same thing happen. I'm pretty certain it's only visual, but with the inherent jank this game seems to have it would not surprise me if the actual explosion radius was bigger

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
just have one person bring a spear now it will unalive dropships easily.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Do not do it. You will never be able to go back. You will spend the rest of your dives with a backpack full of grenades and nothing else but orbital bombardments. Sure it'll be cool the first few times you annihilate an entire base from 90m, but ... I mean no that's still cool. Every other armor feels like poo poo after though.

I feel like that goes for a lot of the armors. I'm hooked on medic (heavy) for mechs and engineer for bugs (moar grenades).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Snuffman posted:

I feel like that goes for a lot of the armors. I'm hooked on medic (heavy) for mechs and engineer for bugs (moar grenades).

I've heard rumors of "medium" and "heavee" armor, but my democracy officer told me that was bug and/or bot propaganda.

If you ain't fast, you don't last.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Legit Businessman posted:

I've heard rumors of "medium" and "heavee" armor, but my democracy officer told me that was bug and/or bot propaganda.

If you ain't fast, you don't last.

I had surprising success using heavy armor instead of the shield on some Urbana missions tonight. I'm slow, but the improved survivability over recon armor is very noticeable. The stamina booster alo goes a long way toward making the heavy armor less cumbersome

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I was going throwing armour sometimes and explosion resist armour sometimes but now that rockets don't murder me all the time I'm gonna stick with throw range

Also my favourite armour is throw range. The one that's like a basic helldiver armour but it has prosthetic limbs

Sometimes i would forget i didn't have throw range on. Usually that results in an embarrassingly short precision strike on a fabricator, but could also have me murder my team with the orbital airburst

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

This is how I feel about the stealth armor. Been using it since a few days after launch and I have no idea how to function without it. Being able to sneak past things or disengage is way too baked into my playstyle to do without.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Eediot Jedi posted:

They have difficulty tracking fast-moving dropships that JUST spawned and are rubber banding in from the map edge, but ohhhh boy do they clank motherfuckers otherwise.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ok this level 8 automaton blitz search and destroy with two stratagem jammers might've been the most intense mission I've ever played

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The new bot ships seem extremely unfun. Dropped on a small map with two facilities and we were literally just spawn camped by a never ending stream of gunships that hovered over the entire map and blew us up as soon as we landed. People complained about Bile Titans and Chargers before they reduced the spawns but this feels like Bile Titans that can fly and launch missile salvos and oh they can fan out over the map too.

I've had plenty of things irritate me in the game but this is the first that crossed over into "why even bother" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Ok this level 8 automaton blitz search and destroy with two stratagem jammers might've been the most intense mission I've ever played

Unironically when people don't drop onto the evac site to determine if there are jammers on these missions, you can simply wipe trying to evac. I think this is low key a good way to ensure success on 7/8/9 blitz missions

Hakarne posted:

The new bot ships seem extremely unfun. Dropped on a small map with two facilities and we were literally just spawn camped by a never ending stream of gunships that hovered over the entire map and blew us up as soon as we landed. People complained about Bile Titans and Chargers before they reduced the spawns but this feels like Bile Titans that can fly and launch missile salvos and oh they can fan out over the map too.

I've had plenty of things irritate me in the game but this is the first that crossed over into "why even bother" territory.

:goonsay:

Spookydonut posted:

just have one person bring a spear now it will unalive dropships easily.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 3, 2024