Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hakarne posted:

The new bot ships seem extremely unfun. Dropped on a small map with two facilities and we were literally just spawn camped by a never ending stream of gunships that hovered over the entire map and blew us up as soon as we landed. People complained about Bile Titans and Chargers before they reduced the spawns but this feels like Bile Titans that can fly and launch missile salvos and oh they can fan out over the map too.

I've had plenty of things irritate me in the game but this is the first that crossed over into "why even bother" territory.

once you're out of a medium range they stop spawning gunships, run away, kill the stragglers, avoid the spire if you can't or shouldn't kill it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Gunships are basically Stalkers on super crack.

Still don't think Spear is worth it, you can down lone gunships with regular good bot guns and if they're swarming the spear certainly isn't going to keep up with its slow reload and pathetic ammo count.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Saraiguma posted:

once you're out of a medium range they stop spawning gunships, run away, kill the stragglers, avoid the spire if you can't or shouldn't kill it

It was on a small search and destroy map and there were two facilities to spawn them. There was literally no getting away, there were 3-4 locking on to you as soon as you dropped in and you were always in range of one or both spawning facilities. I'd destroy one with my hell pod then try to grab an EAT to kill another but oops there's another one that already launched it's missiles so you're either dead or rag dolled into the open where more missiles and lasers are waiting from his friend.

It was the most miserable introduction to them that I could imagine.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hakarne posted:

It was on a small search and destroy map and there were two facilities to spawn them. There was literally no getting away, there were 3-4 locking on to you as soon as you dropped in and you were always in range of one or both spawning facilities. I'd destroy one with my hell pod then try to grab an EAT to kill another but oops there's another one that already launched it's missiles so you're either dead or rag dolled into the open where more missiles and lasers are waiting from his friend.

It was the most miserable introduction to them that I could imagine.

yeah between the foundries weird durability, bad terrain around them for actually approaching them, and how fast they spawn it's best to cede the ground they cover and if you can't you're probably just going to lose

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Sounds like you just had a bad drop, blitz missions can get hairy fast in general. They're honestly not that bad, they function like stalkers and are most dangerous when you're already pressured by other stuff or let them build up to unmanageable levels. I wouldn't judge them based on that one experience, they die fast to most good anti-bot guns and the towers don't spawn them very fast.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, they're a lot like Stalkers that require heavy weapons to kill and also are ranged so you can't ignore them and also are elevated so severely limit your cover options and also severely complicate targeting by not being on the same plane as every other threat/target and also can't be stopped by a grenade or long-bomb 500kg.

Sooooo not at all like Stalkers.

Edit: Also they're immune to the vast majority of callins by dint of flying. Just another bonus.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 3, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

raverrn posted:

Yeah, they're a lot like Stalkers that require heavy weapons to kill and also are ranged so you can't ignore them and also are elevated so severely limit your cover options and also severely complicate targeting by not being on the same plane as every other threat/target and also can't be stopped by a grenade or long-bomb 500kg.

Sooooo not at all like Stalkers.

Edit: Also they're immune to the vast majority of callins by dint of flying. Just another bonus.

They're exactly like Stalkers, except they're bots so they're actually difficult.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
they're stalkers with guns and also you need a hellbomb to drop, arm, and detonate without dying to kill their nest

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the spear does in fact demolish those new flying bot gun ships the problem is the drat spawn point can't be killed by anything other than a hellbomb. if someone finds another way to blow up their spawn points pls let me know

in general i love running spear on bot missions. it's inconsistent at targetting but you routinely can take out foundries from an absurd range and the one thing they do lock onto very quickly is the gunships

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

i realized that mouse smoothing is a setting in this game after around 110 hours and i guess that the dominator is better than i was giving it credit

Where do you have it set for best effect?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

another patch just dropped, arrowhead so busy :peanut:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just a crash fix, for anyone not looking.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

off

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s been crashing a lot for all of us in Goon squads. I hope they have loving fixed it

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

LazyMaybe posted:

Thank God. I played last night and on 3 separate 40 minute missions had a crash on the extraction screen where it tallies up your objectives.. It's soul destroying and just sucks any desire to play out of me.

Fire damage is just straight up insane now, you can't out-heal it. I got winged by a bro running with the Breaker Incendiary and I was dead before I could even fire off a stim.

Has anyone tried the Flamethrower since the patch? I guess it must be godlike now?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Malevelon Creek Memorial Day :allears:

How will you spend your 3 minutes?? A commemorative cape twirl I hope :colbert:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I tried out the riot shield and AM rifle after the patch.

The AM rifle still has an offset reticle but it kills poo poo real good though. Damage buff mainly seems to make it eat through the Devastators faster and one shot scout strider legs when they're facing you.

Riot shield is good now. Very good. I actually survived a rocket with more than half health with it thanks to the rocket damage bug being fixed. I still went flying but I didn't drop it. I did drop it when picking up a SEAF artillery shell.

Highlight was facing a riot shield Devastator shield to shield. I casually pulled out my revolver, got the twirl animation, and put a single bullet into its Cranial Processing Unit. My shield was better. :smug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Durzel posted:

Thank God. I played last night and on 3 separate 40 minute missions had a crash on the extraction screen where it tallies up your objectives.. It's soul destroying and just sucks any desire to play out of me.
They didn't patch that, but that crash doesn't prevent you from getting mission rewards (or even continuing the operation after you restart) so it's not such a big deal.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

LazyMaybe posted:

How does the crash frequency basically triple every major update and require a seperate hotfix each time? Goddamn, AH.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fishstick posted:

How does the crash frequency basically triple every major update and require a seperate hotfix each time? Goddamn, AH.

my bet would be on the magical Autodesk engine only they and Fatshark are still using and appears to behave identically here as it already did for Vermintide and Darktide... which is again why they should just do the needful and include reconnect on crash/disco same as FS did for their crashy games

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Alkydere posted:

I tried out the riot shield and AM rifle after the patch.

The AM rifle still has an offset reticle but it kills poo poo real good though. Damage buff mainly seems to make it eat through the Devastators faster and one shot scout strider legs when they're facing you.

Riot shield is good now. Very good. I actually survived a rocket with more than half health with it thanks to the rocket damage bug being fixed. I still went flying but I didn't drop it. I did drop it when picking up a SEAF artillery shell.

Highlight was facing a riot shield Devastator shield to shield. I casually pulled out my revolver, got the twirl animation, and put a single bullet into its Cranial Processing Unit. My shield was better. :smug:

i had the same setup going on. I found a lone devastator riot shield bot and was facing off with him man to man when a teammate accidentally exploded me from behind with an impact grenade. alas the moment was gone, and the inspiration to try again had left me.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sindai posted:

They didn't patch that, but that crash doesn't prevent you from getting mission rewards (or even continuing the operation after you restart) so it's not such a big deal.
You sure about that? I definitely feel like I'm short some XP.

Also - in the cases where I've crashed I've been in some other (random person's) game, so for me I just end up back on my own ship. It just looks like I bailed as soon as the mission ended, and annoyingly when it has happened it's been when we've had a good team going and I've had a good rapport with them.

I don't like just appearing to bounce without saying a word :smith:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I clicked the discussion button on the patch notes. Steam forums continue to behave exactly as expected.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Black Noise posted:

I clicked the discussion button on the patch notes. Steam forums continue to behave exactly as expected.

They really should patch that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

They really should patch that.

Patch:
- No more discussion button on patch notes
- Triggering puffballs may now cause a crash, will be fixed sometime next week, in the meantime enjoy our new event on Ubanea

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I feel for the folks getting crashes but playing this almost exclusively with friends I can't remember the last time this game actually crashed on me and didn't just freeze for a few seconds because my cpu was too hot. That always froze long enough to kick some people in my group so I just stopped being the guy running the squad and we haven't had any issues since. Real weird how much stuff like that varies based on how many people seem to be getting constant crashes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

Devastators seem to still take the same amount of hits as before (1 headshot or 2 torso shots), the big difference comes from striders (-1 shots to all parts compared to before), and it handles berserkers much easier now.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I've dropped my settings to low and keep my GPU fan at 80% and I'm still crashing every other "deployment". The game is just buggy as gently caress. I won't be playing as much anymore but I'm not uninstalling it either. CNN is loving reporting about helldivers memes. The game is huge and I'm sure all this will be fixed ~eventually~ but its still dumb.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Insert name here posted:

Devastators seem to still take the same amount of hits as before (1 headshot or 2 torso shots), the big difference comes from striders (-1 shots to all parts compared to before), and it handles berserkers much easier now.

I have heard but have not tested yet that the AMR one-shots devastators in the lower torso weak point. For completion you might also want to try the legs, they're light armor and kill pretty quickly - the Dominator will two-shot any Devastator if you hit the same leg.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

what do i need to do in my settings to make stuff visible because any kind of bright lighting just washes out the entire screen and makes me blind, i have to shoot out lights to see anything

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spookydonut posted:

what do i need to do in my settings to make stuff visible because any kind of bright lighting just washes out the entire screen and makes me blind, i have to shoot out lights to see anything

You shoot the lights out. Seriously.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

that's a new one

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LazyMaybe posted:

that's a new one

I guess now you're a Steeled Foot Veteran

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Durzel posted:

Happened to us too, but i believe you still get the rewards? What it seemed like

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

raverrn posted:

I have heard but have not tested yet that the AMR one-shots devastators in the lower torso weak point. For completion you might also want to try the legs, they're light armor and kill pretty quickly - the Dominator will two-shot any Devastator if you hit the same leg.
I did try the pelvis (which is light armour) with no luck, but I'll try the lower torso and legs next time I have a chance.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

raverrn posted:

Robo legs are often overlooked as potential weakpoints, I need to try shooting more robo legs.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

explosivo posted:

You shoot the lights out. Seriously.

I do not consider a level completed unless every source of artificial light has been blasted. Makes it so much easier to see the telltale robot glow, too.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

that's a new one
Rise of the Foot Clan

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Recently I've been on a streak of having a decent game, right until the end, when my team mates suddenly decide to throw themselves against a robot base and waste all our reinforcements before trying for extraction. It gets worse when two people have crashed so it's just me and one other player, who's throwing themselves repeatedly into a robot base and an endless swarm of dropships. They don't seem to comprehend the counter ticking down, or they believe extraction's going to go perfectly, somehow. I suspect it might be because a lot of people are used to fighting bugs, where that kind of thing's easier to pull off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

smellmycheese posted:

Off