Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/Gizmodo/status/1773801452974075930?s=20

building a $100 billion computer to make the chatbot slightly quicker

that's quite the headline

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I saved $100 billion on transporting myself into the future by experiencing linear time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

I saved $100 billion on transporting myself into the future by experiencing linear time

Your privilege is showing. Try thinking about all the oppressed, silenced, and time-disadvantaged people that don't have the luxury of being born into linear time before you open your mouth next time. And while you're at it, try thinking about that before the last time you opened your mouth too.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-reportedly-ditches-just-walk-out-grocery-stores-1851381116

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/shwinyo/status/1775268508223558012

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
is mechanical turking still a job you can get in the US? after all somebody’s gotta take the food out of those greedy hindustan mouths

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you can literally sign up for mechanical turking at amazon.com. my dearest wish is that people are exploiting that by getting existing open source AI tools to do it for them, creating an ouroboros of garbage.

anyway i'm not going to run defence for bezos but everyone, including the original article, is misinterpreting what labelling is in terms of computer vision. there weren't just indian guys watching the cameras and manually adding up every purchase all the time. that probably happened occasionally though, which is indeed pretty funny.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
are you saying the indian workers were just training the algorithms?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Reading the article, there really was an algorithm processing all of that data and identifying people’s purchases. The Indian workers were there to cover for when the algorithm wasn’t able to fully handle everything. As designed, intervention was only supposed to be necessary in 50/1000 of cases.

The punchline is that 700/1000 of cases required intervention.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
seems like people aren't misinterpreting the clipped bits then

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i dunno i'm sure some of it's just shitposting hyperbole, but i'm getting the impression that some people genuinely think the whole thing was a scam, and a true "mechanical turk" in the sense that there was no "AI" involved at all

it's the same thing that's been happening with robotics for decades, with self-driving cars for 10 years, and is happening right now with LLMs - some dork comes up with a genuinely cool proof-of-concept thing that's (100%-X%) reliable; capital shits itself with excitement by extrapolating that the remaining X% will be easily taken care of, and then all the promises of the tech come crashing down when it turns out that making any progress against X is incredibly difficult or impossible.

the algorithms amazon were using here are likely akin to the YOLO (you only look once) computer vision library, which is legit impressive, improving all the time, and used without problems in a million different applications. but you misapply it or expect too much out of it, and it can all blow up in your face.

anyway we're like 99% in agreement, i guess i was just trying to give a more nuanced view of why these systems seem to inevitably suck poo poo, but now that i think about it a bit more, it doesn't really matter as long as everyone's on the same page that they do indeed suck poo poo. i hope amazon lost a lot of money on Hit Da Bricks or whatever it's called

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sao8eyBuo91u0fuse.mp4

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's hosed up they call it "the mechanical Turk" and "turking" in tyool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

digital Finn can't stop perkeling

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

You know that it’s a reference to a specific eighteenth-century hoax device, right?

The verb neologism is bad, granted.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

You know that it’s a reference to a specific eighteenth-century hoax device, right?

The verb neologism is bad, granted.

yeah. maybe it's time to move on from 18th century terms

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

time to start calling them artificial turks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

just call it "Hidden Human", or "HH" for short.

hm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything the orientalist overtones are all too fitting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

just call it "Hidden Human", or "HH" for short.

hm.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Person of Turk

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol at the last few posts.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

blastron posted:

The punchline is that 700/1000 of cases required intervention.

*required intervention according to the algorithm.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mawarannahr posted:

yeah. maybe it's time to move on from 18th century terms
on the one hand you're not even remotely wrong

on the other this made me remember the dude who said that "Byzantine" was as bad a slur as the n-word when reviewing a computer science paper about the Byzantine general's dilemma

https://twitter.com/CSProfKGD/status/1591456435359064064
and yes, he actually said the n-word, uncensored, multiple times, in his followup

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kostan kaikki derpaniit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

on the one hand you're not even remotely wrong

on the other this made me remember the dude who said that "Byzantine" was as bad a slur as the n-word when reviewing a computer science paper about the Byzantine general's dilemma

https://twitter.com/CSProfKGD/status/1591456435359064064
and yes, he actually said the n-word, uncensored, multiple times, in his followup

lmfao

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Looking good mawy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

the perfidious Turk

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Hidden Turk Crouching Byzantine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

don't get me started on Graeco-Latin square experimental design

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

don't get me started on Graeco-Latin square experimental design

lmfao

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
At first I was afraid of AI because I was scared of misinformation. Then I started using AI to create misinformation and I love it!!