Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

We had a wide format printer error out and refuse to print because one of the parts was at the end of it's rated life. It wasn't broken. It just printed exactly 10,000 feet or whatever and then crossed its arms and stopped until we paid for a professional service plan.

AI is going to fix this. Your printer will send a digital copy everything you print to a central location, where sophisticated AI will analyze the stress it puts on your printer parts, knowing exactly when to completely disable printing, coinciding with the replacement part that was already charged to your account and sent to your home.

Your printer will refuse to print at all at the precise moment the replacement part is delivered.*

All this is required, and you cannot opt out of it without fully disabling your printer.

*Premium shipping required.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ronald Reagan's on the dollar coin

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

listening to reagan by killer mike whilst reading this post

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There's a store you can bring your poo poo to and they print stuff for you and it's like $2 but also the library. Newbs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vampire Panties posted:

I had to print out my tax returns and take them into an IRS Office, because I didn't receive the letter to confirm my identity in the mail (which is its own enshittification, because apparently filing fake tax returns with other peoples SSNs is a thing)

It cost me 7.50 to print out 30-odd pages in black and white. For a stack of paper the IRS absolutely demanded to have in full, and which the IRS agent looked at the top two pages, and then I had this big stack of paper with a bunch of PII for literally no reason whatsoever

It cost me like $10 to fax two pages at Staples recently. Just two pages faxed

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

doctorfrog posted:

this cover of billy joel sucks

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Ikea now requires an email address for you to buy tall, narrow furniture like dressers. They pinkie promise they won't use it for anything other than to send safety information, but if that were the case it'd come in the box like it has for the last twenty years. I've had way, way too much experience with companies gathering my data on false pretenses to use for commercial means to be fooled by this, and while I expect this from an American company, I went out of my way to go to IKEA specifically because this sort of brazen bullshit doesn't happen there. Well, didn't. Does now, though!

Good news is they don't validate (yet).

I think their dressers killed enough kids that the either IKEA’s lawyers or the USCPSC required that they be able to contact buyers of these items for recalls. It isn’t just to send you a wordless PDF depicting the installation of a wall anchor or something, they still desperately print those in the instructions for everyone to ignore.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They didn't even win this year! :mad:

All the more reason to cut everything else's budget because clearly you're not spending enough on the football coach. They'll hire one who in 20 years will be the county's feudal lord

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao I just got a call from a local cell number that told me in stilted, robotic English (not a common language here outside of business) that my ID card has been involved in illegal activity and there's a warrant for my arrest. And that I should press 1 to speak to one of their officers.

Never got a scam phone call here, let alone one in English. They must be really counting on the 0.01% that responds to this being the dumbest motherfuckers in the world that will go through the whole scam.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Never got a scam phone call here, let alone one in English. They must be really counting on the 0.01% that responds to this being the dumbest motherfuckers in the world that will go through the whole scam.

That's exactly how it works. If they snag someone reasonably skeptical they might bail out on the scam half way through and that's a waste of the scammer's time. Like putting wide gaps in your net so the small fish can swim through.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Lmao I just got a call from a local cell number that told me in stilted, robotic English (not a common language here outside of business) that my ID card has been involved in illegal activity and there's a warrant for my arrest. And that I should press 1 to speak to one of their officers.

I occasionally get weird scammer calls in what I believe is Mandarin. Spanish would make a lot more sense

I also got one of those scary we-have-kidnapped-your-mother calls, but the acting was so bad I thought it was a skit

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wash bucket posted:

That's exactly how it works. If they snag someone reasonably skeptical they might bail out on the scam half way through and that's a waste of the scammer's time. Like putting wide gaps in your net so the small fish can swim through.

Sometimes, but very often the scammers are just incompetent themselves, or don't feel optimizing the scam would be worthwhile (i.e. screening for people who actually speak the language of the scam would improve the share of potentially exploitable idiots among called numbers, but calling random numbers from the database is faster)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Black Mirror eerily prescient once again. The only real difference between this and the appliance-running cookies in White Christmas is how captive the workers are.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I was under the impression the Amazon stores just used RFID. It seems like that would be easier than hordes of workers staring at video but IDK.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

cat botherer posted:

I was under the impression the Amazon stores just used RFID. It seems like that would be easier than hordes of workers staring at video but IDK.

Oh my sweet summer child...

Much like Elon's aversion to LIDAR, Amazon wanted very much not to use something so tried and true as RFID. Possibly because both are licensed technologies? Who knows?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

anonumos posted:

Oh my sweet summer child...

Much like Elon's aversion to LIDAR, Amazon wanted very much not to use something so tried and true as RFID. Possibly because both are licensed technologies? Who knows?
I assume RFID tags cost more than Indian... datafarms?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The most surprising thing about that is how long it's taken for that detail to finally come out.

years and years of this, not one major substantial leak or anonymous post of "oh yeah it's not that, it's actually just:" that gained any traction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is people on the store … scanned each item … so that a record of the items purchased could be made

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Slotducks posted:

The most surprising thing about that is how long it's taken for that detail to finally come out.

years and years of this, not one major substantial leak or anonymous post of "oh yeah it's not that, it's actually just:" that gained any traction.

I mean, the one liner twitter reposts of the story are mostly a misrepresentation of what really happened. It's not such a huge story. The shops did really use machine learning to track the purchases and then human labor to review/correct cases where it wasn't sure and to generate new training data. I don't think there were a lot of people who weren't aware of that. If you use machine learning technology like Alexa, Siri, Midjourney, autopilot, ChatGPT, etc. you have to assume real people will look at the data to correct it or to add edge cases to the training data. There was nothing to leak.

The big revelation is that they never got the technology to work well enough that it could deal with even a majority of purchases. Most of the receipts still had to be reviewed by humans up until the very end. It's a story about the failure of the technology, not a story about Amazon trying to outsource cashiers to India(cause that's just ridiculous).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the outsourcing is the story tho.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

euphronius posted:

I think the outsourcing is the story tho.

Lol yeah like, the story is they couldn't get the tech to work so they outsourced and Wizard of Oz'd it

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

MrQwerty posted:

Lol yeah like, the story is they couldn't get the tech to work so they outsourced and Wizard of Oz'd it

Pay no attention to the several thousand Indian workers behind the curtain.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

GABA ghoul posted:

I mean, the one liner twitter reposts of the story are mostly a misrepresentation of what really happened. It's not such a huge story. The shops did really use machine learning to track the purchases and then human labor to review/correct cases where it wasn't sure and to generate new training data. I don't think there were a lot of people who weren't aware of that. If you use machine learning technology like Alexa, Siri, Midjourney, autopilot, ChatGPT, etc. you have to assume real people will look at the data to correct it or to add edge cases to the training data. There was nothing to leak.

Every tom dick and harry don't know there's humans touching this poo poo. The AI magic fairy dust is real to the overwhelming population.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How is that not an April fools thing. It's so stupid. A bunch of people in India squinting at screens as it says "Buffering.." while screaming.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Philthy posted:

How is that not an April fools thing. It's so stupid. A bunch of people in India squinting at screens as it says "Buffering.." while screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3SljxsUh4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think their dressers killed enough kids that the either IKEA’s lawyers or the USCPSC required that they be able to contact buyers of these items for recalls. It isn’t just to send you a wordless PDF depicting the installation of a wall anchor or something, they still desperately print those in the instructions for everyone to ignore.

Maybe they shouldn't design furniture that kills kids?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean....the dresser tipping poo poo was bad but I feel like 'watch your kids when climbing on furniture because it can tip and crush them' was a universal thing growing up, because we grew up in the era of 90lb tvs precariously balance on 'tv tables'. Way more kids have died under a TV than under an IKEA dresser, but you don't see us calling tube tvs 'kid crushers', though we should.

9 children have died under IKEA dressers since 1989. That's a low enough number for me to side-eye why the gently caress the kids were alone by themselves climbing furniture rather than blaming it on Big Dresser cutting corners.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 3, 2024

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I climbed a non-IKEA dresser in the 80's and it still fell on me.
luckily the small lamp on top of the dresser fell in the right spot and kept the dresser from putting all of its weight on me.
I was not being supervised. Those drawers seemed like good steps at the time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I always assumed they were no more or less safe than any other dresser and the death count was just from there being a fuckload of IKEA furniture around.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I worked at a grocery store in high school and the Pepsi delivery guy had a son, maybe 7-8, who came into the store with him occasionally. Apparently the kid had a fish tank on his dresser and while pulling a drawer open the tank fell on him and smashed on his face. I saw him after he got out of the hospital and he had probably 300 stitches zigzagging across his entire face. He looked like Chucky the Killer Doll in the later movies. After that I was always really cautious about heavy stuff on dressers.

That was 20 years ago, and I think about that kid sometimes. I hope he healed well and is doing good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I worked at a grocery store in high school and the Pepsi delivery guy had a son, maybe 7-8, who came into the store with him occasionally. Apparently the kid had a fish tank on his dresser and while pulling a drawer open the tank fell on him and smashed on his face. I saw him after he got out of the hospital and he had probably 300 stitches zigzagging across his entire face. He looked like Chucky the Killer Doll in the later movies. After that I was always really cautious about heavy stuff on dressers.

That was 20 years ago, and I think about that kid sometimes. I hope he healed well and is doing good.

Water weighs about 8lb or 3.6kg per GALLON. Your basic 10 gallon beginner fishtank is about 80lb. Not something you want on a stand not designed to support that weight.

EDIT: gallon lol

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 3, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Water weighs about 8lb or 3.6kg per pound.
:thunk:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Ok so I both hosed up my wording and I think my numbers are low.

8.34lb/3.785kg

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

waters mass is 1 kg per liter, actually

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Americans, anything but metric even when metric

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
A college chemistry teacher taught me

“a pint’s a pound the world around”

To remember water weight

He also had a convertible car named Clyde and he often said he would get in Clyde and ride

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

imagine having to remember a conversion factor other than 1 L = 1 kg lmao

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

When customary measurements were used outside the US usually every single industry and purpose had its own measurements (in the US, really still do, like with troy vs. avoirdupois ounces) and nobody cared about converting anything.

Look up tons burthen (a unit of volume) for some true insanity, and once you got those "tons" or whatever off the ship you would probably have to measure them all over again

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

UFOTacoMan posted:

A college chemistry teacher taught me

“a pint’s a pound the world around”

A US pint ≠ British pint, so no. Even in strictly US terms, a pint is 1.041lbs of water, so close, but not exact.

Also a US dry pint ≠ US liquid pint.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I always forget how much 1l is in m3 is though :mad: