Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Elviscat posted:

What in the world?

like these. these are what i think of when i hear "snow tires"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

Wow, metal snipe \m/

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

(Also far more likely to have buying decisions that stick rather than rage boycotts that go away after a few months, progressives aren't dumb and nowhere near as reactionary as the alt-rights shitheads, they are far more likely to make permanent buying decisions I believe)

Yeah, I haven’t fueled up at a BP since the Deepwater Horizon fiasco and the fuckery that ensued. Likewise, a Model 3 was an aspirational thing for me until the Boer showed his whole rear end with his main character syndrome bullshit with the rescue sub, and then everything after that just dug his grave a foot deeper every time. Now that I’m actually in a position to buy an EV, Tesla is nowhere near the list. That R3X is looking pretty good to me, hopefully Steve-O doesn’t turn out to be a monster :v:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Cactus Ghost posted:

I'd call those "studded tires". That's different than winter tires or snow tires, which just have a different rubber formulation and tread pattern. There's also tire/snow chains, which are literally just a set of chains designed to be put over existing tires for the most treacherous conditions.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd say the main full reason is straight out about buyers not wanting to support Musk and adverse publicity around the Cybershit. Tesla with a non stupid CEO would be doing a lot better even with it's current lineup and I doubt the Cyberturd would have happened. There's still a LOT of space for EV's to grow as a market

TBH A Model Y is pretty much the kind of car I'd want - more than quick enough, decent range, can throw a bike in the back without taking the wheels off etc. It's almost wagonesque in the back with the seats down and it would come from Shanghai which actually does screw cars together well...... There is no fuckign way however with the transphobe in charge. I'm not sure he's the worst racist in charge of a car company, or biggest transphobe or neo nazi but holy poo poo it's combined to be one utterly huge awful package that IS way worse than anyone else. The thing here too is Musk also just does not shut up so he never gives it a chance to blow over so it's always in people's faces how much of a piece of poo poo he is

And worth repeating, the chuds might fondle his balls now, but they wont buy his products

People that buy EV's are more progressive by nature and would be repelled by chud in charge? Who would have thought?

(Also far more likely to have buying decisions that stick rather than rage boycotts that go away after a few months, progressives aren't dumb and nowhere near as reactionary as the alt-rights shitheads, they are far more likely to make permanent buying decisions I believe)

As a mod note, while posters may have their opinions to buy or not buy - and as above I certainly have my opinion too - this thread stands as a neutral zone where all EV's are accepted and posters are "encouraged" to not question why/why not someone bought the car they did.

Yea, I'm already thinking about how soon I can sell my two and a half year old Model Y (that I love) specifically because of Musk's noisy fascism. And I would easily expect every other major CEO (car company or not) is happily buying their ticket on the Trump Train, but the rest of them have the good sense to not be quite so vocal about their disgusting transphobia and racism.

Good thing the Model Y has so much room for all its baggage.

All that said, I saw other reports that Tesla was the only one seeing a significant EV slowdown. There's certainly an argument that they're finally facing real competition, but I doubt that's the only factor.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

cruft posted:

I keep writing replies to this and deleting them. Feels like musk chat.

Suffice to say from a car selling standpoint Elon seems to be on a weird path. From a protect EVs from the worst of the oil company attacks, maybe it makes sense. I dunno.

I have yet to meet anybody with a neutral opinion about the guy. And as CI said, his fans don't seem to be buying the cars a lot. Ican't see that being good for the company.

I wasn’t willing to consider another Tesla purely due to the changes they’d made feeling like several steps backwards. I don’t like Musk at all, but the 2013 Model S and 2020 Model X were both perfectly fine cars. No issues with the cars themselves, though I grew to hate the doors on the X. The S took us to the redwoods, the X took us to Yellowstone. Both trips were very enjoyable. We decided we didn’t want to own the Model X out of warranty, so we got the Lyriq. No Tesla was considered because there was a stack of features our Bolt EUV had that we refused to forego on any new car.

Radar for ACC
Ultrasonic sensors for parking
Ventilated seats
360° Camera
Turn signal stalk
Gear selector stalk
Rear cross-traffic alert
Probably others I’m forgetting…

The bolt has all of those, the lyriq has all of those. The ride quality and comfort in the lyriq is worlds better than any Tesla I’ve been in. Except for acceleration, Teslas have been outclassed. I may have begrudgingly kept the X if they hadn’t started opening the supercharger network.Their focus on “FSD” instead of just refining highway ADAS really showed me that the company’s goals for driver assist aren’t aligned with what I want out of it.

Keeping the Tesla or buying a new one would require additional incentive, and a loudmouth moron as the figurehead of the company is not helping matters. Basically, there is plenty of reason to switch away or keep them out of consideration, and the musk factor doesn’t actually change the decision, since it was already out of the question to stick with the brand. They just don’t have a compelling product anymore when my primary objective is to be comfortable during long drives.

tl;dr: musk sucks rear end but even if he didn’t there are much better choices now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla's Model 3 always made sense to me. It's relatively quick, efficient, and affordable for what it is. I'm sure the Y is more so still.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla's Model 3 always made sense to me. It's relatively quick, efficient, and affordable for what it is. I'm sure the Y is more so still.

Not only is it no longer aspirational, it's covered in Musk stink. Other cars have better technology for how people actually use cars, not wish casting on how you are going to use your car in 5 years and Tesla hasn't really done anything interesting with their cars in the last few years but make them worse.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wayne Knight posted:

No Tesla was considered because there was a stack of features our Bolt EUV had that we refused to forego on any new car.

Radar for ACC
Ultrasonic sensors for parking
Ventilated seats
360° Camera
Turn signal stalk
Gear selector stalk
Rear cross-traffic alert
Probably others I’m forgetting…

My Volt spoiled me and the Bolt has only ruined my expectations further, because of things like this. How could I possibly ever drive a vehicle without such features?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
360 camera and ventilated seats are usually restricted to top trim. 360 cam is so drat useful.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Three Olives posted:

Not only is it no longer aspirational, it's covered in Musk stink. Other cars have better technology for how people actually use cars, not wish casting on how you are going to use your car in 5 years and Tesla hasn't really done anything interesting with their cars in the last few years but make them worse.

Yeah, I think even if Musk hadn't sank into the never-ending K-hole/fart huffing recirculator he's been in since 2017 or so the Model 3 wouldn't be a great buy now. In 2019 it was one of, if not the only car on the road with a 250+ mile range and decent fast charging. Now, there's around a dozen and more coming online every year. CCS is still behind the Tesla network but it's only acutely felt in the midwest. The Model 3 hasn't really changed in price for an equivalent feature set and got notably shittier in a bunch of ways like the removal of stalks, radar cruise control, and parking sensors. In the meantime, Tesla has failed to show anything meaningful in the following areas of development that they should have been on top of:

- 800V Architecture
- Solid State Battery Commercialization
- Alternative LiPo/LiIon Battery Chemistries
- Fast charging beyond 250 kW
- An affordable mid-size crossover SUV, the most common category (Y is too compact, X is too expensive at ~80k)

These are all things that other car manufacturers have made more progress than Tesla on and as far as I know the only one that doesn't have a consumer product ready to go is the solid state battery.

So why buy a Tesla in 2024?

These were the only reasons I could think of:
1. In North America, the Supercharger network is still the best charging network.
2. No dealership bullshit (or maybe minimal? I've not had great experiences with service centers in NJ or NM, even if I never felt like they were actively screwing me.)
3. Infotainment is better done/more responsive than most auto OEMs. Back in 2019 the Model 3's interface had a lot of stability issues but those seem to have been mostly resolved by now.

Number 1 is going away soon now that the network is opening (even partially) to other cars and adopting NACS as a protocol. It seems like only the new NEVI-compliant chargers will be open to all vehicles so Teslas might still have an edge in some cases. Number 3 is something they could be surpassed on at any time if other automakers gave a poo poo. Number 2 is the least likely to change but they're also not the only people going dealer-less anymore. Even putting aside Musk, Tesla's just losing their competitive edge day by day.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
There's are really good used choices at the lower end of the price range. Bolts, iD.4s, EV6, ioniq 5, even the Mach-e. For a while, it really was just Teslas.

bird with big dick posted:

Is that what you’re planning on doing? Living in your dad’s van?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The post/username combo checks out.

I mean, I can probably fit my racing car bed in the back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of the 800V architecture, how many fast chargers are there that can really charge something like one of the eGMP cars at a decent speed? I was pretty disappointed to see how the superchargers with magic dock are pretty meh for it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Douchebag posted:

The pickup today was stupid easy. She signed like 4 forms, got her “keys” and off she went. Instantly loved it, and so happy she didn’t buy something like a Malibu. I’m also very impressed with it, such a fun car to drive.

Also saw a Cybertruck….

Who buys Malibus anymore? Old people that don't know any better?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Who buys Malibus anymore? Old people that don't know any better?

Avis

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And fleets in general.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Probably the later plus competition. Most people could care less about Elons antics when making a car purchase.

US market seems to be cooling on EVs, Europes economy is in a slump, and Teslas getting outcompeted by the Chinese EVs in China and other parts of Asia pacific.

Not true at all in Australia, Tesla is selling EVs as fast as they can make them

March figures arent out yet but in February Tesla again was by far the top selling EV brand with Year-on-year sales up 60%, BYD not even close.

The Model 3 was the 3rd highest selling vehicle behind only the Hilux and Ranger dual-cabs the country is loving obsessed with

The Model Y continues to also be a top-selling car

The downturn in EV sales sure isnt happening here

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Douchebag posted:

The pickup today was stupid easy. She signed like 4 forms, got her “keys” and off she went. Instantly loved it, and so happy she didn’t buy something like a Malibu. I’m also very impressed with it, such a fun car to drive.

Also saw a Cybertruck….

I saw "pickup" and the picture and thought you made a terrible mistake.

All I'll say about Musk is that paying $44b to scream nazi poo poo at the top of your lungs, when your US customer base is mostly libs that are not gonna buy your cars because of it is an incredible unforced error. He's been saying that climate change is "a solved problem" recently too.

And it's gotten bad enough that normies are picking up on it too, not just internet poisoned weirdos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man what is up with the plastic cladding under the liftgate of that thing, it looks god awful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Yeah it was definitely large but it was probably more of an I was expecting it to be even larger sort of thing. It didn’t seem as obnoxious as I had expected it would be, basically.

It is definitely an impressive looking vehicle and surprisingly I didn’t hate it. Looks good in white.
It might be because modern trucks and SUVs make the hummer look tiny lmao. Carsized sadly doesn't have the EV one but here's H1:

(It's an f-150 behind)

I always liked the original one, it was a dumb military toy but as long as people weren't using it to commute to the city en masse :shrug:

They made the EV one even larger, but only the width really the stands out I think.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 3, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I got the free 1 month trial of FSD yesterday. I like the better visuals but we tried the full FSD on a short drive home from dinner last night and lol nope, can't believe people pay for and regularly use this. Def not for me.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What did it do?
It certainly seems like their one month free trial thing is going down like a lead balloon with most users.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

El Grillo posted:

What did it do?
It certainly seems like their one month free trial thing is going down like a lead balloon with most users.

Driving down the main road of my neighborhood which is a 30mph road it came up to a marked pedistrian crossing and suddenly slammed on the brakes, if someone was following closely behind me which often happens they would've rear ended me.

There was no reason for it to do that, there was no pedistrians on the side of the road and it's one of those, pedistrians should cross here, not, stop here and check for pedistrians before proceeding crossings.

Also, there was a squirel in the road and my wife freaked out when it didn't slow down or try and avoid it, just kept on trucking along, thankfully the squirel moved.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

What did it do?

It's... different than it was before. It hugs the right side of the lane: ms cruft thinks it does this when there's oncoming traffic. It drives like a petrified granny on highways, frequently below the speed limit, with no option to go back up. I will say it is more consistent with lane positioning, and doesn't get faked out by New Mexico's offramps with no striped line to denote the right of through lane.

The worst thing about it, though, is that when you enable FSD now, there is no way to get back to just cruise control. You get FSD or you do all the driving. This is really irritating on the highway when you want to keep up with the Ford Fiesta passing you at 52MPH in the 55MPH zone.

So I've disabled FSD. It's a pity, I actually preferred it on the highway. Maybe the next release will fix some of these things: that seems to be the way of it.

I really hope they don't get rid of the auto-steer stack any time soon. It's got problems, but I've learned how to work around it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mattfl posted:

Driving down the main road of my neighborhood which is a 30mph road it came up to a marked pedistrian crossing and suddenly slammed on the brakes, if someone was following closely behind me which often happens they would've rear ended me.

There was no reason for it to do that, there was no pedistrians on the side of the road and it's one of those, pedistrians should cross here, not, stop here and check for pedistrians before proceeding crossings.

Also, there was a squirel in the road and my wife freaked out when it didn't slow down or try and avoid it, just kept on trucking along, thankfully the squirel moved.

Complains that it stopped for a pedestrian crossing, complains when it doesn't stop for a rat crossing the road.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rats are 10 points the car is leaving points on the table (road)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Complains that it stopped for a pedestrian crossing, complains when it doesn't stop for a rat crossing the road.

It slammed the brakes right about here

I guess it saw the markings in the road for crossing or something? Who knows

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ROFLBOT posted:

Not true at all in Australia, Tesla is selling EVs as fast as they can make them

March figures arent out yet but in February Tesla again was by far the top selling EV brand with Year-on-year sales up 60%, BYD not even close.

The Model 3 was the 3rd highest selling vehicle behind only the Hilux and Ranger dual-cabs the country is loving obsessed with

Over here in NZ EV sales are in the toilet because the incoming government axed incentives and introduced a per KM road tax.

Kind of a shame because we were just starting to get an interesting array of smaller Chinese options.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just realized I have yet to see any EX30s around, are they on sale in North America yet?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

dissss posted:

Over here in NZ EV sales are in the toilet because the incoming government axed incentives and introduced a per KM road tax.

Oh wow, is it an overly punitive tax like the one Victoria tried to implement? (That was hilariously challenged as unconstitutional and had to be repealed and everyone got their money back)

Does it apply to all cars or only EVs?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i think the model 3 is still one of the best choices for a budget-minded EV enthusiast. i do not think it is the only option anymore, the way i did until 2020 or so. so any judgement on tesla owners remains Foolish for a little while longer.

at least for owning a Tesla. if they're the assholes who cross the highway into your lane without using their blinker, they must be destroyed mercilessly, with haste, via. anvils dropped from a high rise

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Three Olives posted:

A Correct Opinion. I can't believe I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with 3O.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

I just realized I have yet to see any EX30s around, are they on sale in North America yet?

No.
Website now says summer. Hopefully that means they're launching it with the MY2025 improved steering wheel buttons and an improved software experience.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
After my wife and I watched Last Week Tonight where Oliver talks about FSD she has been terrified of Teslas, like straight up worried anytime we are near one and I don't really blame her.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

Oh wow, is it an overly punitive tax like the one Victoria tried to implement? (That was hilariously challenged as unconstitutional and had to be repealed and everyone got their money back)

Does it apply to all cars or only EVs?

It applies to all non-petrol powered vehicles but previously EVs had been exempt. Petrol has a similar sort of tax but instead of being done on distance it's built into the pump price (this is why diesel is far cheaper at the pump than petrol)

I'm not adverse to paying some sort of road tax, but how it's set up any EV is paying the equivalent of a petrol car using 10l/100km which I think is excessive - in many circumstances it'll now be cheaper to run a Prius than a Leaf.

Also it's prepaid with fairly hefty admin fees so penalises those of us that don't have sufficient cash around to buy a large block.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

It's... different than it was before. It hugs the right side of the lane: ms cruft thinks it does this when there's oncoming traffic. It drives like a petrified granny on highways, frequently below the speed limit, with no option to go back up. I will say it is more consistent with lane positioning, and doesn't get faked out by New Mexico's offramps with no striped line to denote the right of through lane.

The worst thing about it, though, is that when you enable FSD now, there is no way to get back to just cruise control. You get FSD or you do all the driving. This is really irritating on the highway when you want to keep up with the Ford Fiesta passing you at 52MPH in the 55MPH zone.

So I've disabled FSD. It's a pity, I actually preferred it on the highway. Maybe the next release will fix some of these things: that seems to be the way of it.

I really hope they don't get rid of the auto-steer stack any time soon. It's got problems, but I've learned how to work around it.

Well, that would explain all the Teslas going 10MPH under the speed of traffic in the left lane on my way to work recently.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

dissss posted:

It applies to all non-petrol powered vehicles but previously EVs had been exempt. Petrol has a similar sort of tax but instead of being done on distance it's built into the pump price (this is why diesel is far cheaper at the pump than petrol)

I'm not adverse to paying some sort of road tax, but how it's set up any EV is paying the equivalent of a petrol car using 10l/100km which I think is excessive - in many circumstances it'll now be cheaper to run a Prius than a Leaf.

Also it's prepaid with fairly hefty admin fees so penalises those of us that don't have sufficient cash around to buy a large block.

So in other words NZ government is just as incompetent as AU ones in their ability to implement a fair and uniform taxation system across all forms of transport regardless of what powers it

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

What do motorcycles pay?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think electric motorcycles are still exempt. There are probably like 5 of them in the entire country though so I doubt the powers that be are too worried about them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, I'm already thinking about how soon I can sell my two and a half year old Model Y (that I love) specifically because of Musk's noisy fascism. And I would easily expect every other major CEO (car company or not) is happily buying their ticket on the Trump Train, but the rest of them have the good sense to not be quite so vocal about their disgusting transphobia and racism.

Good thing the Model Y has so much room for all its baggage.

All that said, I saw other reports that Tesla was the only one seeing a significant EV slowdown. There's certainly an argument that they're finally facing real competition, but I doubt that's the only factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

March figures out, the Model Y overtook the Hilux in sales. That is huge.

Today Tesla just chopped thousands off the price of Ys too - they are getting really aggressive, Y is a bargain now. Signs the updated version isn't far away?