Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nail Rat posted:

People also feel it's acceptable to be tired and drive and studies repeatedly show that can be worse than being drunk and driving.

Basically cars are death machines

Sometimes you're tired through no fault of your own and have to get somewhere. But man, the data is horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There was a news station in Colorado I think that did a driving test on a group of people, each time they went on the track they were more and more stoned. The one thing that stuck out was the people recognized they were too high to drive around the point when their performance was affected. The drunk drivers don't seem to be as self aware.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

From what I understand, being very tired is functionally the same as being drunk in terms of motor skills and decision-making.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

IIRC there was a study in the 90s that found mildly stoned people were actually safer drivers: they sped less and were more careful..

Of course there's the old joke that a drunk driver will blow through a stop sign; a stoned driver will wait for it to turn green.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Sometimes you're tired through no fault of your own and have to get somewhere. But man, the data is horrifying.

There are always alternative methods of travel if you're not able to drive safely

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
For the crime of tired driving, 30 years in the isocube.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1775342247740874907

quote:

Edward Ahmed Mitchell, the deputy director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), also said the event was nixed because so many people chose not to attend, including invitees who had initially agreed to go.

“The American Muslim community said very early on that it would be completely unacceptable for us to break bread with the very same White House that is enabling the Israeli government to starve and slaughter the Palestinian people in Gaza,” Mitchell told Al Jazeera.

quote:

A key issue with such talks, activists say, is that the administration has been handpicking whom to meet with.

A Muslim advocate close to the administration presented a list of credible Palestinian American leaders to invite for a meeting at the White House last year, but the government rejected the suggested individuals, one source told Al Jazeera.

Emgage, a Muslim political advocacy group that endorsed Biden in 2020, said it received an invitation to Tuesday’s meeting but declined to attend, citing the US’s unconditional support for Israel and the mounting death toll in Gaza.

“In this moment of tremendous pain and suffering, we have asked the White House to postpone this gathering and to convene a proper policy meeting with representatives of the community’s choosing, rather than those selected by the White House,” Emgage CEO Wa’el Alzayat said in a statement.

Emgage outlined a list of demands for Biden, including an “immediate and permanent” ceasefire, the resumption of funding for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) and a “legitimate political track” for a Palestinian state.

“Emgage is ready to support efforts that engage in a substantive manner on the above priorities. However, without more Palestinian voices and policy experts in the room, we do not believe today’s meeting will provide for such an opportunity,” Alzayat said.

Hebah Kassem, a Palestinian American political strategist, echoed that concern.

“The administration is strategically selecting who should be at the table, and they’re picking people who likely won’t be critical of their actions and policies,” Kassem told Al Jazeera.

“Why are we allowing them to choose who represents us? These meetings haven’t led to any change. If anything, Biden has doubled down his support for Israel and increased the supply of weapons to Israel.”

If I were them, I'd decline to go as well. No point in meeting the man when he's adamant about supporting a genocidal apartheid state as they genocide Palestinians before our eyes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fart Amplifier posted:

There are always alternative methods of travel if you're not able to drive safely

So what I'm hearing is that you've never stopped to rest in the middle of a multi day journey at a roadside hotel in the middle of goddamn nowhere and been unable to sleep. Or had to work in a town with no mass transit. poo poo happens. It's not like getting drunk and going out for a jaunt.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Fart Amplifier posted:

The United States, the place famous for its ease of access to non-car modes of transportation.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
On the previous discussion, the comparison between weed and immigration is also not a good one because the statutes are different.

The immigration statute in question, bolding is mine:

8 USC s 1182(f) posted:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.

Changing scheduling of a drug is under 21 USC s 811. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/811 I don't want to quote it due to length, but as you can see the process to change a schedule requires the President to tell the AG to do so, then the AG "may by rule..." which means it has to follow the standard administrative rulemaking process, which is lengthy. And before doing that, the AG has to do extra bullshit getting scientific and medical studies. And there may also be treaty obligations that affect what the executive can do as well. All of this is a much lengthier process than being able to ban immigrants via proclamation, which if Joe Biden had decided to do, the administrative state would enforce until being told otherwise.

Things "snapped into place" for Republicans not when Trump issued his EOs, but when Congress passed those laws in the 1960s.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

koolkal posted:

For the crime of tired driving, 30 years in the isocube.

Former coworker of mine had to do several years after tired driving to get to a job and causing an accident that ended up killing another driver. Don't tired drive please.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

So what I'm hearing is that you've never stopped to rest in the middle of a multi day journey at a roadside hotel in the middle of goddamn nowhere and been unable to sleep. Or had to work in a town with no mass transit. poo poo happens. It's not like getting drunk and going out for a jaunt.

You hallucinated a bunch of stuff if that's what you've heard.

And yeah for everyone else on the road it's almost exactly like you're getting drunk and driving.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If you get behind the wheel you are knowingly endangering other people's lives. poo poo doesn't "just happen".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

There's always Uber.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
It's really easy to say you shouldn't drive tired but I have an hour and fifteen minute commute one-way for a career I've invested 23 years in. I live where I can afford to live and there is zero public transit in my area. Am I supposed to quit? Like yeah, I know I'd be at fault if I fell asleep but there are zero other options for me other than a radical life change.

It was the same for my dad when he worked in the area and it's currently the same for my mom.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Dirt5o8 posted:

It's really easy to say you shouldn't drive tired but I have an hour and fifteen minute commute one-way for a career I've invested 23 years in. I live where I can afford to live and there is zero public transit in my area. Am I supposed to quit? Like yeah, I know I'd be at fault if I fell asleep but there are zero other options for me other than a radical life change.

It was the same for my dad when he worked in the area and it's currently the same for my mom.
:kstare:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

If you get behind the wheel you are knowingly endangering other people's lives. poo poo doesn't "just happen".

This is true no matter how tired you are. You're just endangering it more when tired.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Dirt5o8 posted:

Have you heard of the sunk cost fallacy?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's always Uber.

No, there most definitely is not always Uber or taxi service available.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Goatse James Bond posted:

My understanding is that the weed rescheduling process is going at pretty much the normal speed of the administrative state. Maybe a bit slower because the DEA is cranky about literally everyone else in the government telling them to reschedule weed, but they're still on the high end of the regular pre-public-comment window.

Apologies if this is off topic but are you working for the Biden campaign this year?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

shoeberto posted:

No, there most definitely is not always Uber or taxi service available.

I live 20 minutes from the airport and can't get a ride home because my area looks too rural on the map, just cancellation after cancellation when I tried that. There are plenty of places in the US where the only practical option is driving and you don't even need to live in the great plains or Alaska to experience it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Proof we need to invest in public transit and let more people work remote: "yes I'm knowingly doing something as dangerous as drunk driving but I have no choice."

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Looks like abortion will be on the ballot in Arizona come November:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4570793-backers-arizona-abortion-amendment-say-have-signatures-for-ballot/

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Remember months ago when I said I really hope the dems put some really popular things like abortion and weed up for a vote to increase turn out?

I was talking about this.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Remember months ago when I said I really hope the dems put some really popular things like abortion and weed up for a vote to increase turn out?

Reminder how staunchly red Ohio had a 57% vote in favor of abortion rights, even after the republicans did everything they could to block or stymie the issue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Reminder how staunchly red Ohio had a 57% vote in favor of abortion rights, even after the republicans did everything they could to block or stymie the issue

Everything they could, up to and including "hey guys why don't we make it require 60% to pass ballot propositions? No reason, we just think it would be neat"

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

In Florida at least, these ballot initiatives have nothing to do with the democratic party. The only credit the party should get is for being so totally useless that ballot referendums are the only way anything positive can happen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Proof we need to invest in public transit and let more people work remote: "yes I'm knowingly doing something as dangerous as drunk driving but I have no choice."

I mean, yes. It's like saying "I know there's lead in my water pipes but I can't afford to move" or "I know my car is unsafe and has issues with the brakes but I can't afford to fix them and have to get my kids to school."

People do terribly dangerous things all the time because of circumstance and it can both be bad and also not their fault.

Saying "don't drive tired" is objectively true and still doesn't actually fix the situation when someone's options are "drive now or lose your job / leave your kids somewhere unsafe / fail to make your court appointment"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Everything they could, up to and including "hey guys why don't we make it require 60% to pass ballot propositions? No reason, we just think it would be neat"

"What's that? We have to do an emergency special election, when just last year we went on record saying special elections were wasteful and costly? And we scheduled it at a weird time just a few months before this other election just in case all our court battling to block the referendum failed? And we deliberately copied the design of the signs from the first initiative to hopefully confuse people on the second?

Huh, what a crazy random happenstance!"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tired driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or no

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

tired driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or no

I mean I get the joke but it's true: the obvious difference between drunk driving and tired driving is that most people would never choose to drive tired, they're going somewhere because they feel like they have to.

I think like most things in our hellscape we should just take it for granted if somebody tells us they're too tired to get to work but I also think our awful work culture has made honest self-evaluations completely impossible for the average worker. I think most people would agree that a trucker shouldn't get behind the wheel if they just drove through the night and there are lives are on the line, but I also think that most people have some experience with driving to work after getting four or five hours of sleep. You'd be hard pressed to find any social will to say people in the latter case should skip work, and I think you get your blurry edge cases from there there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mendrian posted:

I mean I get the joke but it's true: the obvious difference between drunk driving and tired driving is that most people would never choose to drive tired, they're going somewhere because they feel like they have to.

It's a dril quote.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
reposting from GBS but Moms for liberty types got wrecked hard again last night.
seems like alot of the hardline social conservative poo poo is still super toxic the second its not vague.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have those clowns actually won/retained any school board seats anywhere?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I'm not loving all of those margins (some are pretty good), but wins are wins.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Original clown is still on her Sarasota county school board seat I think even after the scandal.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reposting from GBS but Moms for liberty types got wrecked hard again last night.

always fun to see moms get wrecked hard

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Some places yeah, but mostly in Uber red places. The issue is a lot of places are fine with social conservative ghoul poo poo if you keep it vague or talk about sports or whatever, but the mask came off hard and no one liked what they saw. Meanwhile the gop braintrust thinks twitter is irl so you have the Charlie kirks screaming about getting rid of all birth control and book bans.
https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1775261797781844080
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1775226973981151616

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 3, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elon has been replying to similar anti-BC statements on Twitter lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Elon has been replying to similar anti-BC statements on Twitter lately

yeah, elon is a dickhead depression spiral and only gets dopamine hits from chuds clapping and laughing for him. so he is gonna keep diving and diving.