Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

New job has given me a surface laptop studio - are these things any good? Already seems less buggy than the cheapo thinkpad I had at my last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New Teams has its issues, but one thing they’ve mostly fixed is the performance. It really is miles better than the “old” app in that regard.

Too bad it’s still bad at search, chat, usability, notifications and things like connecting to bt devices.

At least it’s not performing like a bitcoin miner anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Generic Monk posted:

New job has given me a surface laptop studio - are these things any good? Already seems less buggy than the cheapo thinkpad I had at my last one

I would like a laptop with a 3:2 display. The Studio seems more like a workstation though and I would rather save the weight and cost and lose things like the weird display stand, touchscreen etc. Surface Laptop looks like a decent device but no chance would I get the fabric palm rest option.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I honestly love the main Surface Pro itself. When I'm at my desk the vast majority of the time, the tear-off keyboard can sit quietly in a draw not taking up space on my desk. When I actually need to go mobile, it's Good Enough™. And yea the screen ratio is real good.

A Surface Studio seems somewhat niche, but maybe your actual work makes sense for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d quite like MS to try making a Surface version of things like the ThinkCentre Tiny

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The surface was ok, if you got the one with the Nvidia, at least it was semi-capable graphics wise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think the Surface devices are all solid to the point where I'm unsure why I'd ever want to buy another Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc. ever again. What's also interesting is that Microsoft just brought back the Devices and OS Group once more after splitting them into two separate divisions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because Surface devices are horrible to get fixed. Also their lack of ports is a+. Here is your lovely dock and a dozen dongles.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep telling users that a Surface with a dock is not a workstation replacement. It's fine if you just need a mobile tablet, but I've had a ton of issues with peripherals and getting the docks to work consistently.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I keep telling users that a Surface with a dock is not a workstation replacement. It's fine if you just need a mobile tablet, but I've had a ton of issues with peripherals and getting the docks to work consistently.

Same with here. TBH our Lenovo T14's have super loose USB-C connectors lately too tho which also sucks, but users keep requesting laptop + 2 monitors.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I had a surface book (1, from launch day) and really liked it even if I almost never undocked. I could go for another one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Surface Pro 3 was my favorite work computer.

I would jump on a modern surface in a heartbeat for a work computer. Being able to use the surface's screen itself for whiteboarding in teams meetings would be so incredibly useful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If any of ya'll want a Surface Pro 5 and a dock lemme know, been selling them on Craigslist since my org told me to throw them all away. They work!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

Because Surface devices are horrible to get fixed. Also their lack of ports is a+. Here is your lovely dock and a dozen dongles.

And it better be the right kind of dongle too if you want to PXE boot, otherwise lol get hosed

Don’t know what model I worked on years ago but never again

I’m not even a mac guy but if you want a tablet, get a loving iPad

Maybe surfaces have gotten better in the past five years but idk there

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

GreenNight posted:

If any of ya'll want a Surface Pro 5 and a dock lemme know, been selling them on Craigslist since my org told me to throw them all away. They work!

I could use one to help look for work and school if you’re just handing them out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want to shake whoever in the Surface team stuck with a proprietary dock connector and mini DisplayPort for about four annual product refreshes beyond when USB-C was everywhere.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Small update on the job front:

got a new contract signed last week, starting this Thursday. Collecting 2 days worth of unemployment, lol.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Asteroid Alert posted:

Small update on the job front:

got a new contract signed last week, starting this Thursday. Collecting 2 days worth of unemployment, lol.

Hell yeah congrats!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My org is moving to ADP for finance and HR, how scared should I be on a scale of 0-255?

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Kind of ??? Moment where I see a director level ticket that goes to Service Desk, iam, iam figures out the ticket is for a template (i.e. something a secretary would do) sends ticket to marketing website team, they send ticket to their L3, L3 dept there sends ticket to contractor group for backend server items.

They shrug at it and send it back to SD with a note to escalate it to the correct dept within their organization. I grab it as part of my effort to close aging tickets with SD and take a look and see he's asking for a template with his photo on it and not an iam or network request.
Someone set the urgency to business critical so a lead reached out asking for someone to work the ticket.. nobody reads these things.

Anyway it was slow so it took me like 5 minutes in photopea to fix the "issue" and I closed with "ask your secretary or the document owner next time" in nicer words.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Susat posted:

Anyway it was slow so it took me like 5 minutes in photopea to fix the "issue"

you should get out of this habit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i love it when software behaves the opposite to how it's documented to behave. really keeps me on my toes. great stuff.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Vargatron posted:

I've had a boomer exasperated at me because those things are pieces of poo poo and like idk he expected me to magically solve everything. Then he sent it in to microsoft to get it fixed or whatever and I got stuck answering questions I didn't know the answers to

very fun

i've also been asked to plug it into a screen and i never loving managed to get it work. i don't consider myself stupid with technology. but i never managed to loving make it work so i just gave up i loving hate Surface tablets god drat

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 3, 2024

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Surface Pro 7s are pretty great, been using them with a WD19 or D6000.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I think there are good and bad Surface Pro generations. My Surface Pro 4 has been an absolute workhorse and durable AF (knock on wood). I've been using it as my main machine for a few months now and its been perfect, especially for an 8 year old laptop. Only complaint is the battery is trashed. I wish I'd kept the docking station/port replicator over the years.

2nd monitor support on Surface Pros has always been wonky. I had to mess with the settings so it wouldnt suspend when the cover closes, and then disable the built-in display. Using both monitors at the same time usually craps out after a while.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The sight of this horrific dock should induce PTSD

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I got like 4 Surface docks but not that huge rear end one.

More like: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-PD9-00003-Surface-Dock/dp/B0163HP38W/

But MORE DONGLES

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Perfectly designed at perfect angles. Users will never need to adjust it which is good because they can't. :smug:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh dear god, I had completely forgotten about those drat things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Perfectly designed at perfect angles. Users will never need to adjust it which is good because they can't. :smug:

They'll wedge paperclips or pens underneath it to tilt it. Or whatever junk they got sitting in their desk drawer.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I got like 4 Surface docks but not that huge rear end one.

More like: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-PD9-00003-Surface-Dock/dp/B0163HP38W/

But MORE DONGLES

:hmmyes: this is what i had, although I bought a powered 10-port USB 3.0 hub and its basically the same thing, although I occasionally run into I/O issues writing to the external HDD

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

i love it when software behaves the opposite to how it's documented to behave. really keeps me on my toes. great stuff.
We no longer have developers writing plans for QA and those manual QA plans feeding technical writers anymore. Now we have test-driven development and high-quality testing tools, so everyone can move fast and write software that stably reverses behaviors to do the exact opposite of what it says

In the Kubernetes ecosystem, I so routinely find bad or wrong documentation for absolutely critical (usually third-party) cluster components that if the source of something is available, I'll almost always read it to figure out how to do something instead of reading incomplete, ambiguous, half-finished docs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Silly Newbie posted:

Surface Pro 7s are pretty great, been using them with a WD19 or D6000.

I've had about 5 WD19 docks in the past 2 years arrive and the ethernet port just doesn't work at all. Dell never acknowledged this problem until like 2 months ago. Loved ordering a $250 dock only to have to send it out for warranty repair immediately.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Boss is asking me if I want to go to any conferences and I need recommendations

I did hashiconf last year and have done Ignite a few times, so I'm not super excited about doing either one again right now.

We're not an AWS customer and my team doesn't work with k8s, so reInvent and kubecon are out.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Vargatron posted:

I've had about 5 WD19 docks in the past 2 years arrive and the ethernet port just doesn't work at all. Dell never acknowledged this problem until like 2 months ago. Loved ordering a $250 dock only to have to send it out for warranty repair immediately.

Dell docks are trash and I've long since lost count of how many times I've had to guide users through doing a dock reset.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

klosterdev posted:

Dell docks are trash and I've long since lost count of how many times I've had to guide users through doing a dock reset.

Ours have worked fine for years without trouble :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've never had issues with Dell docks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Make sure you're updating the firmware on them.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Thanks Ants posted:

Especially when paired with the phrase "DisplayPort daisy chain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lol I just noticed the IE icon in that picture.