Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Snooze Cruise posted:

What are other horror films with really good music like Wicker man? Well like uh, music that is actually perform in the movie like that.

If you like classical music, then Nocturne!
Whiplash meets Black Swan, a bit underrated imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

What are other horror films with really good music like Wicker man? Well like uh, music that is actually perform in the movie like that.

Green Room

also, maybe but not really, but kind of, Suspiria (2018)

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 3, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There's the whole "heavy metal horror" subgenre: Black Roses, Deathgasm, Trick or Treat (1986), Hard Rock Zombies, but I don't remember the music being anything special.

Return of the Living Dead has a banging soundtrack AND score, though (edit: not performed in the film though - oops!)

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched Ghost Stories (2017) on Shudder last night and really enjoyed it. It's an anthology film (kinda/sorta) based on a stage play. Nothing ground-breaking but it's well-made and Martin Freeman is great in it, plus it ties everything up quite nicely at the end. Worth a watch if you want a spooky little movie with some fun twists.

One odd thing; it has very obvious spots for commercial breaks in it; the movie literally fades in and out at several points, but from what I've read this was a theatrical release and not a made-for-TV thing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I watched Ghost Stories (2017) on Shudder last night and really enjoyed it. It's an anthology film (kinda/sorta) based on a stage play. Nothing ground-breaking but it's well-made and Martin Freeman is great in it, plus it ties everything up quite nicely at the end. Worth a watch if you want a spooky little movie with some fun twists.

One odd thing; it has very obvious spots for commercial breaks in it; the movie literally fades in and out at several points, but from what I've read this was a theatrical release and not a made-for-TV thing.

Solid anthology, some really effectively creepy visuals for what I’m assuming wasn’t a big budget.

Weissey
Aug 16, 2023

Thank you!!!!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Lure

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

Is the dumbest horror movie about the internet still Feardotcom?

I think .com For Murder (2002) has it beat

I think it's still only available to watch via digital purchase or physical release but, it's fantastic for all the wrong reasons

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the best part about FeardotCom is that they couldn't snag fear.com so the website in the movie is feardotcom.com

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What was that piece of poo poo movie that referred you to a website and now the website is defunct

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Weissey posted:

Thank you!!!!

Always happy to spread the good word of Koji

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What was that piece of poo poo movie that referred you to a website and now the website is defunct

The Devil Inside

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Koji Shirashi kicks rear end

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

space jam

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 3, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Drunkboxer posted:

The Devil Inside

Oh yeah what a piece of poo poo

Weissey
Aug 16, 2023

MacheteZombie posted:

I’m definitely watching it this weekend. That and the copy of Manhunter that I own but haven’t watched.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Koji's so great yeah. Still gotta get through his series. I think I'm right before the big movie installment.

Kvlt! posted:

wheres the lie folks
20 minutes into Showgirls and I gotta apologize to Jesus and God. Clearly the most badass character in cinema is "Nomi Malone".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Showgirls is loving great.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

gently caress yeah, Showgirls rules. Nomi is indeed a badass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Fancy Hat posted:

I love this movie and was highly amused to learn it's a stage play.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My favorite part of Showgirls is the cartoon bra that they drew in over her boobs in the tv edit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I know this isn't on topic but Showgirls is truly making me lose my mind and I'm waiting for the other horror foot to drop.
I mean there's literally a billboard that says "jesus is coming soon" that blinks into "jesus is coming on" when nomi walks by lmao. Renowned Christologist Paul Verhoeven (still mean to read his book on Jesus). This movie loving rips. I mean there's a lesbian cold war through proxy loving Kyle machlachan lmao.

Once again my apologies but this is kinda horror with dancing.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 3, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

The Devil Inside

Good INXS track though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah I know this isn't on topic but Showgirls is truly making me lose my mind and I'm waiting for the other horror foot to drop.
I mean there's literally a billboard that says "jesus is coming soon" that blinks into "jesus is coming on" when nomi walks by lmao. Renowned Christologist Paul Verhoeven (still mean to read his book on Jesus). This movie loving rips.

Once again my apologies but this is kinda horror with dancing.

Any film about capitalism is a horror film, comrade.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Any film about capitalism is a horror film, comrade.
:hmmyes:

This is a body horror movie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm mad the reception to that movie killed Elizabeth Berkley's career, because she's fantastic in it, just giving 110% in every single scene.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Now I would not call Showgirls horror myself, but it's full of that delicious Verhoeven capitalism-hatred and dark satire with an absolutely excellent final act and shot, so if someone wanted to use it for the hypothetical "Non-Horror" May challenge prompt I certainly wouldn't argue.

It's also so gorgeous with the new Vinegar Syndrome 4K restoration.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Showgirls manages to make a movie about Vegas showgirls into one of the least sexy films ever created and turns the glitz and glamor of Vegas into a nightmarish hell on Earth. All the contemporary reviews viewed this as a negative but, let's face it, it's the biggest strength.

That and Robert Davi. He 100% understood the assignment on this one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

That and Robert Davi. He 100% understood the assignment on this one.
Truly he accessed the elemental nature of Davi for this one

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It might be the best American dream movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

It might be the best American dream movie

He basically made a remake of Scarface with beautiful showgirls instead of gangsters. Genius.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it would make a hell of a movie night with Pain and Gain. American dream/body horror night.

Speaking of horror I got to see The Wolf House in theaters and it was truly traumatizing. A mixed media masterpiece. Second most striking film about white supremacy after The Zone of Interest.
Also watched The Dirties again recently which gently caress, talk about horror, Kevin Smith meets Elephant if Kevin Smith had taste (and he does have enough to like Matt Johnson so hey)

But seriously if there's a single human being reading this post who hasn't seen The Wolf House loving start downloading bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoYazbA1Ic

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah it would make a hell of a movie night with Pain and Gain. American dream/body horror night.

Speaking of horror I got to see The Wolf House in theaters and it was truly traumatizing. Second most striking film about white supremacy after The Zone of Interest.
Also watched The Dirties again recently which gently caress, talk about horror, Kevin Smith meets Elephant if Kevin Smith had taste (and he does have enough to like Matt Johnson so hey)

Hell yes.

drat wolf house on a big screen would be so cool. I have a nice home theater and it gave me a solid anxiety attack lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Showgirls also had a Surprise Kyle MacLachlan Appearance for me, which is always pleasant! I love that dude.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm mad the reception to that movie killed Elizabeth Berkley's career, because she's fantastic in it, just giving 110% in every single scene.

as long as we're talking about it, this happened recently and i thought it was really sweet

https://x.com/MrEAnders/status/1770686060219043990?s=20

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is like Hayden Christiansen tearing up when that kid in the audience goes "WE LOVE YOU HAYDEN!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Excuse me but Showgirls is a banger movie and Hayden was only in one good movie called Shattered Glass

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Excuse me but Showgirls is a banger movie and Hayden was only in one good movie called Shattered Glass

You know we don't always see eye-to-eye but this post makes me feel so seen

I constantly think about the delivery of the phrase "Jukt Micronics" on that voicemail message.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Showgirls rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Life As a House is a decent little drama he did with Kevin Kline that I like. Won't blow your mind, but it's good enough that I remember it 20 years on. Kevin Kline is dying of something and wants to build a house with his son before he dies.