Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Didn't realise the Netherlands was that overpoliced (also it can't be, Brittany would be bright red)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm the solid chain of pigs cutting Bosnia in half

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Given how outside Germanic Europe it seems to look like roads. I think it’s roads that are above a certain speed limit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah if you look at France it's obvious that it's something to do with routes or transport of some kind.

After image search: it's bike lanes

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

It’s sightings of Dutch people

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah if you look at France it's obvious that it's something to do with routes or transport of some kind.

Huh... seems dubious to me. I think there are inconsistencies in what OpenStreetMaps is considering "Bike Lanes". NL, yeah. Wallonia? Switzerland? Montenegro? In Montenegro, their map is showing like every paved road in the country, few if any of which have bike lanes. Switzerland also is pretty lovely for bike lanes. Yeah it has a little striped side on the side of the road often, but the striped area gives so little space that two cars passing would always have to eat into the pseudo-bike lane.

In Switzerland it is showing the Furka Pass road (from Valais to central Switzerland) as having a bike lane - which it absolutely does not. It's narrow enough in spots that two cars will slow down to pass, and there's no nearby paved bike path either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

chadbear posted:

It’s sightings of Dutch people
Where are the ones on the sea for the ghost ships?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

PittTheElder posted:

Ah... That is cheating

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Where are the ones on the sea for the ghost ships?

They're flying, so it doesn't count.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Letmebefrank posted:

Ah... That is cheating

Guess the map is dumb.

If you don't label your map, all it does is makes more work for others to reverse image search.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Bicycle paths on Openstreetmap.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Cutting off the incandescence of Copenhagen feels like cheating

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jehde posted:

Guess the map is dumb.

If you don't label your map, all it does is makes more work for others to reverse image search.

I enjoy guess the map, reading people's guesses for a handful of posts before the real answer is revealed. It's usually interesting to briefly think about those possibilities and why they may or may not fit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ditocoaf posted:

I enjoy guess the map, reading people's guesses for a handful of posts before the real answer is revealed. It's usually interesting to briefly think about those possibilities and why they may or may not fit.

Same, it can be a fun test of useless world fact knowledge. It's not like there's a ton of serious content here. Depends on the map though, sometimes it's near impossible to figure it out or make any funny guesses.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
luckily there is a solution, which is to include the answer/source in spoiler tags, so people who like guessing can guess and people who don't don't have to and then people don't have to be annoyed about it in either case

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

luckily there is a solution, which is to include the answer/source in spoiler tags, so people who like guessing can guess and people who don't don't have to and then people don't have to be annoyed about it in either case

You know nobody guesses when the answer is already there in spoiler tags.

As long as the answer shows up not too long after, it's fine. If it bothers you just don't engage with the post until it's named.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You can drive from Texline in the upper corner of the Texas panhandle to Port Isabel at the mouth of the Rio Grande in 14 hours, and you can do it without bouncing back and forth across your state like a dumbass Yankee ping pong ball.

I genuinely do not understand what this person thought they were achieving with this tweet.

They were trolling for Texans. Looks like they caught one!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They were trolling for Texans. Looks like they caught one!

Yeah, I'll eat that crow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Negostrike posted:

Kind of comforting knowing that I live in the 7% hemisphere even though it makes zero difference

6% of that is ur mum lmao.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Florida Alliance is less stupid than it sounds. I looked it up a while back, and it's actually a really populous state. I think it's 20+ million by now. None of the other states in the alliance even come close, I think Georgia would be second.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

why is California allied with Texas though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's the New People's Army?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All shall cower before the geriatric battalions of florida.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

- Located to the west of most other states
- Huge Mexican American populations
-

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

- Arid
- Oil industry
- Lots of billionaires
- Coastal
- Chauvinistic

Californians will object until the cows come home but they're not that different.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
California is probably like 40% chud by volume

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

distortion park posted:

- Arid
- Oil industry
- Lots of billionaires
- Coastal
- Chauvinistic

Californians will object until the cows come home but they're not that different.
- About 4.5 million votes for Trump in 2016.

California is basically Texas with some more liberal coastal cities and Hollywood, and the LAPD and other police departments could easily swing the state to align with Texas with threats of letting "thugs" run wild.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
South Carolina being loyalist is rather more iffy I'd say.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

cali went 63-34 in the last election, texas went 52-46. it's way more likely for texas to swing blue than cali to swing red.

Therefore the civil war plotline is obviously that Trump wins without Texas. He declares war on Texas because of the obvious fraud, he definitely won that big beautiful state. Newly elected Gov. Beto allies with California and the the south secedes under Ron Desantis. The northwestern states are studying the issue in committee and don't feel enough time has been given to come to a conclusion one way or the other.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Cuz both are full of californians

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

cali went 63-34 in the last election, texas went 52-46. it's way more likely for texas to swing blue than cali to swing red.
Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.

In any case, given the non-democratic nature of American elections, it seems especially silly to base political allegiances on voting. Like, if you live in a state that you perceive as not having a shot at going to your candidate, you might well decide to just not vote. The people with the opposite issue can at least run up the score and feel like they're winners too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

president nick offerman was really divisive

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Because the author is a coward

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

jeebus bob posted:

Because the author is a coward

yeah it's this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My theory has been that they very consciously don't want to tap into specifics of current political alignment, which is why the factions don't really make that much sense on those grounds.

From the trailers it seems like the movie's going to be about a bunch of journos who don't really know what's happening but awkwardly trying to wade through dangerous situations, kind of evoking the chaos of conflicts in like the Balkans, Syra, or Sudan, but in a familiar setting.

Although I do keep constantly thinking back to this XKCD map

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are more Trump voters in California than Texas, more Biden voters in Texas than New York, more Trump voters in New York than Ohio, more Biden voters in Ohio than Massachusetts, more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Mississippi, and more Biden voters in Mississippi than Vermont.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are more Trump voters in California than Texas, more Biden voters in Texas than New York, more Trump voters in New York than Ohio, more Biden voters in Ohio than Massachusetts, more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Mississippi, and more Biden voters in Mississippi than Vermont.[/spoiler]

Meaningless without percentages, since there are more people in California than there are in Texas, more people in Texas than there are in New York, etc etc. The only place the pattern doesn't hold is New York (8.3 million) vs Ohio (11.76 million).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

SlothfulCobra posted:

My theory has been that they very consciously don't want to tap into specifics of current political alignment, which is why the factions don't really make that much sense on those grounds.

From the trailers it seems like the movie's going to be about a bunch of journos who don't really know what's happening but awkwardly trying to wade through dangerous situations, kind of evoking the chaos of conflicts in like the Balkans, Syra, or Sudan, but in a familiar setting.

Although I do keep constantly thinking back to this XKCD map

the director's position per interviews is, to paraphrase, "polarization is bad, and stuff that makes us polarized is bad", "gee, wartime violence is not so fun when it happens in the imperial core, how would that make you feel?", and "journalists are courageous heroic truth tellers and we need to support them" while intentionally avoiding giving any ideological or political cohesion to the civil war per se which, is, sure, a choice, even a defensible one. i just think it's a cowardly choice and would make the stakes and setting of the movie feel weightless. but maybe i will be wrong, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Meaningless without percentages, since there are more people in California than there are in Texas, more people in Texas than there are in New York, etc etc. The only place the pattern doesn't hold is New York (8.3 million) vs Ohio (11.76 million).

But the whole point of that comparison is to avoid percentages. It's an interesting way of describing it (and a pretty cool map)