Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why doesn’t Australia make their own subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

what about a missile ship that shoots missiles full of drones, and then the drones also have even smaller drones that come out?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ghosted by ghost book ghost written by ghosts.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

an australian sub sounds gross. smeared with vegemite instead of mayo, not cool

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

an australian sub sounds gross. smeared with vegemite instead of mayo, not cool

Still sounds more edible than a typical sandwich from Subway

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The 3 year delay on the Constellation is particularly startling since it is a frigate based on a pre-established design, I know they are having possible balance issues with it but taking that long with a frigate is going to be an issue especially since both classes of LCS are useless.

Well they decided to modify a pre-existing asw platform to remove the bow-mounted sonar that was already part of the design because the limp-dick shipyard that got the contract doesn't have a deep enough drydock to accommodate the design with it included, so that probably says all you need to know about how the constellation is going to end up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Well they decided to modify a pre-existing asw platform to remove the bow-mounted sonar that was already part of the design because the limp-dick shipyard that got the contract doesn't have a deep enough drydock to accommodate the design with it included, so that probably says all you need to know about how the constellation is going to end up

Also, I believe they switched up the VLS system which caused additional issues. That said, supposedly there is also pretty huge labor storages which is also just slowing everything down across the board (there is also just a perverse incentive to under hire to save on costs if the US Navy just doesn't matter whenever the ship arrives.)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

china should build the Arsenal Gear from MGS2

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

i assume they don't have the shipyard facilities

couldn't they just build them? No. No neoliberal countries aren't allowed to do things.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

euphronius posted:

IIRC they were going to build them with French help but the Americans swooped in with what must have been an offer that couldn't be refused.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

euphronius posted:

It's not an "mutually beneficial economic exchange" it's a "shake down".

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Ardennes posted:

Also, I believe they switched up the VLS system which caused additional issues. That said, supposedly there is also pretty huge labor storages which is also just slowing everything down across the board (there is also just a perverse incentive to under hire to save on costs if the US Navy just doesn't matter whenever the ship arrives.)

chill, post cold war admirals adopting a holistic lifestyle where they no longer have to worry about beating the soviets and can instead look forward to the sweet kickbacks they can squeeze out of their positions. work life balance :)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

That Japanese carrier vid is wild. Wonder what happens if someone were to do that again, but with twenty suicide drones, each aimed at a radome/antenna/sensor...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

nomad2020 posted:

IIRC they were going to build them with French help but the Americans swooped in with what must have been an offer that couldn't be refused.

An offer they couldn't refuse as in they have ScoMo's video on Epstein island.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This is why all military officers need to be cut from the same cloth as Gordon, if you follow. Can't be bribed, no interest in teenage girls. Just not too far in that direction, or you get an Auchinleck.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like china has better ways than some dinky lil' drone to sink a japanese baby carrier if they feel like it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

That Japanese carrier vid is wild. Wonder what happens if someone were to do that again, but with twenty suicide drones, each aimed at a radome/antenna/sensor...

wouldn't they just unload on them with one of those guns that looks like a minion with a boner? I'd imagine in a war scenario where the carrier is at sea they'd be a little more vigilant and probably detect the drones long before they got close. which could obviously be defeated by using more drones than they have ammo or some way of deploying the drones close to the ship. like maybe some kinda slbm drone swarm capsule or a drone swarm bomb dropped from a high altitude bomber.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

i feel like china has better ways than some dinky lil' drone to sink a japanese baby carrier if they feel like it

yeah, probably more realistic to just launch a few hypersonic anti-ship missiles at it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do you think they would bother taking out a helicopter carrier

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hatebag posted:

wouldn't they just unload on them with one of those guns that looks like a minion with a boner? I'd imagine in a war scenario where the carrier is at sea they'd be a little more vigilant and probably detect the drones long before they got close. which could obviously be defeated by using more drones than they have ammo or some way of deploying the drones close to the ship. like maybe some kinda slbm drone swarm capsule or a drone swarm bomb dropped from a high altitude bomber.

the point is if you can walk up to a capital ship in dock with drones you can cripple it before it ever gets into the fight

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

the point is if you can walk up to a capital ship in dock with drones you can cripple it before it ever gets into the fight

well that's cheating

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, their flying lawnmowers have cameras on them and they also have the auto-factories coming online too.

Danann has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Apr 3, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hatebag posted:

I'm thinking more of a first strike type deal where sleeper cells park a flatbed just outside the fence/across the harbor when the ships are at port. I am ASSUMING the ciws systems aren't even active when the ships are in port, so even if you saw the drones in the air over the sailor barracks or hq or whatever, there's not really anything you can do

The Oldest Man posted:

Precisely

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, both sides can play that game, but I got a feeling the Chinese are paying more attention to the improvements in EW the Russians are doing than the JSDF.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys are talking as if it was some Chinese spy agent who did it to "send JSDF a message", but it was a Chinese youtuber who flew his dji over because JSDF has no anti drone electronic interference fence around the carrier.

Also the guy took some picture of the USS Reagan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm thinking more of a first strike type deal where sleeper cells park a flatbed just outside the fence/across the harbor when the ships are at port. I am ASSUMING the ciws systems aren't even active when the ships are in port, so even if you saw the drones in the air over the sailor barracks or hq or whatever, there's not really anything you can do

Precisely

if you have a real military you don't actually have to pull some dahir insaat poo poo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

You guys are talking as if it was some Chinese spy agent who did it to "send JSDF a message", but it was a Chinese youtuber who flew his dji over because JSDF has no anti drone electronic interference fence around the carrier.

I'm talking about it as if any random schmuck could cripple a capital ship with off the shelf hardware and an afternoon off of work

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Danann posted:

probably is a fair bet in vietnam's case

though it seems to be an accurate census of the philippines elite at any ate

edit: yeah i think they did find all the vietnamese liberals in there

edit 2: they really did put the united states five times on there

Lol at the 26-27% of Asians who trust the loving Japanese to be the best voice for Asia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also the guy took some picture of the USS Reagan

Also, yeah the USS Reagan clearly isn't anywhere close to being combat ready, and the USS Roosevelt is pretty much "keeping an eye" on China on its own.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

wait reagan isn’t all there??

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i assume they don't have the shipyard facilities

couldn't they just build them? No. No neoliberal countries aren't allowed to do things.

Proles can’t seize the means of production if there just aren’t any.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

The Union had a total higher deployment than the German allies, but they had a higher peak deployment during the war. I could see Sheridan not exactly be amazed beyond just a terrible job by the French.

The French had a similar army to the Germans on paper but half of it was more or less useless militia, and it is why they could bully the French at Gravelotte and then take out its professional core at Metz/Sedan. Sheridan usually had opponents that didn't just toss their entire army away in the name of Elan.

I mean in terms of geographical distances covered alone and that was while rebuilding a military officer corps from scratch because everyone 'good' had gone over to the slaveowners.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

because JSDF has no anti drone electronic interference fence

well yeah, because an "anti drone electronic interference fence" doesn't exist.

besides shooting them down with guns, there are very few options out there for anti-drone defense. US nuclear power plants can't stop drones from flying over them:

quote:

In the September incidents, a swarm of five or six large drones flew over the Unit 3 nuclear reactor at Palo Verde in Arizona for about eighty minutes, a length of time which suggested they were carrying out a thorough survey of the site. The documents released at the time referred to a similar incident at Limerick Nuclear Generating Station in Pennsylvania.

Johnson sent a follow-up request to get more details. The response was a terse list of fifty-seven security incidents (SIDs) involving drones, running from December 2014 to October 2019. This provides little more than the date and location, with no details of the number or type of drones involved. We do not know how many involved multiple, simultaneous drone flyovers. At the time the list was generated, three of the incidents were listed as ‘Open’ and five ‘Closed Resolved.’ but the overwhelming majority, 49 of them, were ‘Closed Unresolved.’ This indicates that for 85% of the cases the NRC has no idea who the perpetrators are or what they intended, and has given up on finding them.

so it isnt surprising that a carrier at port could get overflown by a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU936t1nJoY

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

well yeah, because an "anti drone electronic interference fence" doesn't exist.

There's geofencing though which would take at least some jailbroken firmware to get around.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

There's geofencing though which would take at least some jailbroken firmware to get around.
if it was a dji drone, I'm surprised that area wasn't already geofenced.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It is a popcorn flick that is supposedly designed to tell the audience that "America should stick together" so yeah.

That said, if state national guard units start ignoring federal orders (a big if) then you would have a breakup along state lines, but the frontline would likely be very different and probably look more like a mid-war map of former Yugoslavia.

It is just a good question why most of the south is following orders from Florida besides it being the biggest in the area, and what would get the Pacific Northwest and inland mountain states on the same side.

Also, how "evil" is a third term president if he still won the election and why would it start a Civil War besides liberals fetishizing term limits?

I heard the Civil War breaks out because the president disbands the FBI

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
This seems like a really good time to start working in the MIC. The grift numbers are going to go up to infinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ied dowsing rods, fake anti-drone guns, the f35 - if you've got enough money to bribe a half dozen brain dead army guys you could absolutely make a killing selling any old poo poo to the americans