Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Two gameplay questions that should be obvious, but I am struggling to find answers for that will be very helpful to my main pawn's archer lifestyle to know.

1: Tarred status. My optimistic hope is that the "Realistic deep intuitive gameplay!" mega brain move is to make big monsters easier to knock down, instead of using it for burn DoT... Or, am I just having wishful thinking and it is standard issue "Big monster means big status immunities".

2: Is mage enchant buff flat magic damage based on the caster, or percentage based on the weapon skill damage? Because flat damage would make unlocking tempest shot machinegun really tempting when they hit rank 7. But if it is percentage that is basically going to tickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thundarr posted:

If you enter that tunnel at night, skeletons tend to spawn on the other side of the door and will (hopefully) break the door down for you.

There's at least one other cave with this dumb mechanic but it only blocks off some minor loot iirc.

Speaking of caves with hard to access ladders (late game?) in the cave that leads to the volcanic island, there's a watery ravine with some rattlers. On the northwest part of the ravine is a tunnel that seems to lead to a dead end. I used the Trickster ability to become a ghost and found that there's a ladder very high up, too high for me to ghost to from the bottom. How to you get to the top end of that? I couldn't find any other unexplored areas of the cave.

There's a plateau outside with a campfire on earlier in the cave. If you stand on the edge there, you can see another campfire further ahead. Then you can use a harpy beacon to fly over, that's where you access the ladder. I couldn't find any other entrances to that place, so I suspect it's the intended solution.

Nothing too interesting up there, just some standard loot and an unique cape.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I couldn't figure that one out either so I had to look up a hint.

Mild spoiler:
You need to think very literally

Full-on spoiler:
There's a riftstone which has pawns with the name SphinxMother, SphinxFather and SphinxParent. They are official pawns made by CAPCOM. Some sources say that player-made ones are fine too, but I took a Capcom one by going offline first. Now, the trouble was I hadn't found this riftstone earlier, which I could see being an issue for others too - if you've seen it, you'll probably know immediately what the deal is.

I’ll read this if I can’t think of anything in a day or three!

I’ve tried rolling the nearby golem’s head over to her, based on the nearby stone engraving of the sphinx which is broken in two at the head, but the golem head just vanished halfway through the tunnel to her. I also tried bringing a live harpy via a harpysnare beacon and delivering a dead harpy from the nearby area. just spitballing ideas based on the fact that there’s no item delivery menu on this one so I probably have to physically haul something over or wear something.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TeaJay posted:

I couldn't figure that one out either so I had to look up a hint.

Mild spoiler:
You need to think very literally

Full-on spoiler:
There's a riftstone which has pawns with the name SphinxMother, SphinxFather and SphinxParent. They are official pawns made by CAPCOM. Some sources say that player-made ones are fine too, but I took a Capcom one by going offline first. Now, the trouble was I hadn't found this riftstone earlier, which I could see being an issue for others too - if you've seen it, you'll probably know immediately what the deal is.

I'll corroborate that player-made pawns work as long as they have that name. The Sphinx even says "it's in the name".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Weird question: if my pawn kills something for a badge, I save my game, then die and reload my inn save does my pawn get to keep badge progress or lose it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, starting over there is a lot of low level pawns that are pretty obviously hacked.

Level 10 with corset and endgame weapons, and if you inspect them you can see their level doesn't match their arisen at all

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broken Cog posted:

Heh, starting over there is a lot of low level pawns that are pretty obviously hacked.

Level 10 with corset and endgame weapons, and if you inspect them you can see their level doesn't match their arisen at all

What do you mean my new level 16 sidekick with the *checks notes* "Dragon's Dogma", might not be a legitimate sidekick? Clearly I am just slow and bad for not getting around to recovering the weapons from the mines until I was level 16. (They still have the lovely basic soldier helm less fancy than MINE, mixed in with all their book cover bullshit)

EDIT: Jesus christ. I was feeling so clever for dismantling a bunch of boulder traps, but now my main pawn is fascinated with running to trap themselves in the broken remains every time I try to physically carry them back out. There is nothing there, please stop.

What the gently caress: The entire team is now humping busted boulder chunks rather than do anything else :mad: "Wait... wait... okay stay with me-what are you doing

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

when i was initially playing i ran into a level 16 mage pawn that had all vocations maxed

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also discovered that the border town sells a cloak called "Commanders Mantle" that is probably one of the cooler ones in the game.
I never really check cloaks at shops, since they're so inconsequential.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was an "Attack" command that you could give your pawns, that wouldn't make archers and casters rub their faces against the enemies before using their ranged options.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Also discovered that the border town sells a cloak called "Commanders Mantle" that is probably one of the cooler ones in the game.
I never really check cloaks at shops, since they're so inconsequential.

I pick cloaks purely based on fashion for this reason

Jack Trades posted:

I wish there was an "Attack" command that you could give your pawns, that wouldn't make archers and casters rub their faces against the enemies before using their ranged options.

"Go!" is supposed to encourage your pawns to spread out, but I'm not entirely certain how pawn behavior in combat works. I think inclination plays a large role.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

"Go!" is supposed to encourage your pawns to spread out, but I'm not entirely certain how pawn behavior in combat works. I think inclination plays a large role.

Yeah. I've been making a big list of bad pawn combinations in my head as I've been playing the DYI Hard Mode.

For example Kindhearted pawns will loving drop everything they're doing as soon as one of the pawns is downed, or if you run out of stamina, so don't loving EVER hire a Kindhearted Sorcerer because they will absolutely stop channeling that encounter-winning Maelstrom if you accidentally run out of stamina and then throw themselves off a cliff trying to reach you.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Every loving cloak clips through your weapon and often your arms too, I can't get over how bad it looks.

Neck wraps for life.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game needs a lot more blood

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah. I've been making a big list of bad pawn combinations in my head as I've been playing the DYI Hard Mode.

For example Kindhearted pawns will loving drop everything they're doing as soon as one of the pawns is downed, or if you run out of stamina, so don't loving EVER hire a Kindhearted Sorcerer because they will absolutely stop channeling that encounter-winning Maelstrom if you accidentally run out of stamina and then throw themselves off a cliff trying to reach you.

Good, I'm the main character

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Giving my warrior the catapult launch sucks because it’s great for traversal when she decides to use it and help me reach a chest but she ends up using it in combat constantly so instead of swinging the sword she’s just waiting for anyone to get launched and does nothing for most of the fight.

You’re supposed to be hacking and slashing! I’m flinging magic arrows I don’t need to get launched!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
one of the better looking cloaks is the one you get from tokens, it goes well with the heavier looking dark colored sorceror robes, i have my pawn in those with a witch hat and it all seems to tie in together well

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Giving my warrior the catapult launch sucks because it’s great for traversal when she decides to use it and help me reach a chest but she ends up using it in combat constantly so instead of swinging the sword she’s just waiting for anyone to get launched and does nothing for most of the fight.

You’re supposed to be hacking and slashing! I’m flinging magic arrows I don’t need to get launched!

ok but have you considered that your pawn sorceror companion really wants to get launched to latch onto the cyclops's head

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

along with the launch, another trap skill I’ve found for warrior pawns is the counter move. My straightforward pawn would activate it and just park in place indefinitely, sometimes nowhere near enemies, sometimes continuing to hold it long after the fight is over. some say he is still holding the counter to this day

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I need a cloak or hood that the elven armor doesn’t clip through when running.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I need a cloak or hood that the elven armor doesn’t clip through when running.

Ymmv but I wore the Imperial Shoulder Cape with that set and thought it looked awesome at all times. Can't remember if it clips or not.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man, this absolutely infuriated me during my first golem fight. I had just swapped vocations with my pawn so now I was a mage and my pawn was a warrior. None of my spells seemed to have any effect on the golem and my pawn did nothing but kneel down and repeatedly try to launch me, which is completely unhelpful when you're a mage. The last weak spot was on the bottom of the golem's foot but none of my pawns would attack it so it took an absurd amount of time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

Oh man, this absolutely infuriated me during my first golem fight. I had just swapped vocations with my pawn so now I was a mage and my pawn was a warrior. None of my spells seemed to have any effect on the golem and my pawn did nothing but kneel down and repeatedly try to launch me, which is completely unhelpful when you're a mage. The last weak spot was on the bottom of the golem's foot but none of my pawns would attack it so it took an absurd amount of time.

in their defense the foot medal is extremely irritating to get, one of DD's greatest trolls

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sloober posted:

in their defense the foot medal is extremely irritating to get, one of DD's greatest trolls

Meteoran, as always, is the answer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SkeletonHero posted:

The NPCs do seem quite hardy. I tried throwing the racist coastal town mayor into the Brine and he just reappeared on the shore after being devoured, soaking wet but otherwise unharmed and unbothered.

lol I did the same to him but he did actually die, I had to go rez him in the morgue to complete a quest. And he immediately went back to being a racist rear end in a top hat, so back into the Brine he went as soon as I got my XP. :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sloober posted:

Here's a pretty huge tip for dealing with that, and golems in general: When you shatter one of the medals and the golem freezes for a few seconds, run up to one of the legs, grab it, and push them apart. The golem will fall to pieces for a good while, and it makes the foot medal specifically much easier to take care of.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

And Warfarer's best trait isn't carrying around a bunch of different weapons, it's being able to wear whatever you want :colbert:

:haibrower:

My Warfarer's endgame fashion was on point. Action Pawn on the far right is my main. I ran with nothing but lionesses in my party the whole time :hellyeah:

I played the whole game intending to raise Wilhelmina's affinity right before facing the dragon, but completely forgot.
https://i.imgur.com/j6Bjw1W.mp4

Eini, my beloved :swoon:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda thought that the lack of findable weapons and armor was strange. But now that I've gone and explored some of the stuff I missed earlier I'm finding all kinds of neat armor, gear and weapons - some of which was even upgrade to what I was using! (Gazer's Hood). I started originally to check out that Ancient Battlefield passage I asked about, went on to Misty Marches and then moved on to Venworth. Fought a drake, found all kinds of caves I missed earlier - so maybe the gear is just hidden a bit more than in dungeons on the main path. But I'd say it's there, at least in some capacity. I don't know how much of it applies to later game areas, but I definitely found some good stuff in Battahl and Volcanic island too - like two big rear end elemental hammers.

(Also Nuebot, your quest is now done)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i think the crazy old man next to the ocean is going to be my beloved on all my playthroughs from now on. he's the only one who really understands what ive been through.

oh to sail out to sea together. a dream never to be.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Has anyone tried simply carrying the Magistrate out of prison when he refuses to leave before you find him a library? I'm very curious what would happen

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I was loaded down with loot and half dead, and think "maybe I should sell this" before hitting the sack in the inn. I fall off the stairs, faceplant, and I'm left bleeding to death on the floor

A pawn proudly told me there was a ladder nearby as if that would make it better

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 80 hours into the game, right next to the ending, and I'm yet to see the dragonblight.
I started seeing it near the end, and I think I know why. I think it has to do with summoning high level pawns. I was typically summoning about 5 levels ahead and keeping them around until they were 5-10 levels behind, but in the back half I started summoning WAY ahead, like 15 levels, because I liked having a crew stick around for a while before swapping them out. That was when I started getting some sass from my pawns, and when I first got the dragonblight message. Never did end up seeing what it did, but I looked it up after beating the game and I'm sure glad I missed out on that! What a strange mechanic. Seeing the true ending didn't do anything to clarify the dragonblight calamity's whole deal either. If your pawn has a fledgling lesser will of their own, and they're choosing to help you in that final fight, why are they choosing to slaughter a city while you sleep in an inn?

e: If anyone wants to summon my pawn, level 79 Warrior (will always be a warrior): 0NVOP19Q5B04

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 3, 2024

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished up with the true ending this morning. Ended up feeling about the same as I did regarding DD1 - it’s a really unique and good (sometimes great) experience. Makes a killer first impression…then really loses steam by the time you get to the late game (with a relatively brief burst of energy in the post-game).

I want to see what this kind of game could be if they paid attention to any part of the game that isn’t the sandbox, but I just don’t think that’s Itsuno’s bag and we’re never getting a DD3.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I ran with nothing but lionesses in my party the whole time :hellyeah:

You're the guy all my pawns kept talking about!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I killed the dragon and the fake ending and was extremely surprised that my beloved was actually Wilhelmina as I wanted it to be.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, the dragon is supposed to take your beloved? He just took the sorcerer who summoned him lmfao, I was so confused about why I should care

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shyrka posted:

You're the guy all my pawns kept talking about!

Every time they talked about that in my party i wondered if they were being catty

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm fairly certain that Nora the Mage had the flu, her eyes were kinda red and she kept saying me stuff "Don't boss me around, I know what to do!" so I tossed her in the brine to be sure. I don't know whose pawn it is but you might wanna see if that fixed her!

She is a pretty good mage so I'd like to keep her around if that helped her.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Finished up with the true ending this morning. Ended up feeling about the same as I did regarding DD1 - it’s a really unique and good (sometimes great) experience. Makes a killer first impression…then really loses steam by the time you get to the late game (with a relatively brief burst of energy in the post-game).

I want to see what this kind of game could be if they paid attention to any part of the game that isn’t the sandbox, but I just don’t think that’s Itsuno’s bag and we’re never getting a DD3.

DD3 will be basically an update/remake/refresh of DD2 with essentially nothing new. It’ll also be a VR NFT.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'm fairly certain that Nora the Mage had the flu, her eyes were kinda red and she kept saying me stuff "Don't boss me around, I know what to do!" so I tossed her in the brine to be sure. I don't know whose pawn it is but you might wanna see if that fixed her!

She is a pretty good mage so I'd like to keep her around if that helped her.

Not that it matters, but I don't think brining someone else's pawn cures them, it just sends them back home without a rating/item. You can literally just talk to them and "dismiss" them while still being able to send them back with something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

I'll corroborate that player-made pawns work as long as they have that name. The Sphinx even says "it's in the name".

I can confirm player ones work.

Speaking of the Sphinx, I can also confirm you can (minor reward spoiler]dupe a Portcrystal a second time in NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I wonder if you can sphinx-dupe the godsway?

I was extremely disappointed it couldn't be forged.