Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Is it just me or does Sickly feel really undervalued as a 1 point curse? Even without the hp restriction "dying allies have pain added to all sides" feels like it would kick in pretty rapidly at higher floors and fry an entire party with little recourse.

e: there should be a keyword if it doesn't already exist that's called "inflict inflict" which inflicts all inflict-X keywords. this is critical so you can pass something like inflict-singleuse or inflict-pain back and forth between your party and the enemy's forever.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
That exists for some keywords, like inflictInflictDeath.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RoboCicero posted:

Is it just me or does Sickly feel really undervalued as a 1 point curse? Even without the hp restriction "dying allies have pain added to all sides" feels like it would kick in pretty rapidly at higher floors and fry an entire party with little recourse.

It only kicks in when both conditions are met, it does nothing if you are dying but have more than 1 HP. At worst it's effectively -1 HP, except you still get to take a final turn after hitting 1 HP and may even have a chance to save yourself still. Does hurt worse on cantrip heroes though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I feel like a lot of the level 0 mutations that get offered (and I almost always skip) are actually somewhere between a -.25–-.50 curse.

But the "one less item but it's higher quality" and the one that wandifies every monster side are the opposite, and a +.25–+.50 blessing (monster wands might actually be better than quite a few of the tier 1 blessings, IMO)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

the holy poopacy posted:

It only kicks in when both conditions are met, it does nothing if you are dying but have more than 1 HP. At worst it's effectively -1 HP, except you still get to take a final turn after hitting 1 HP and may even have a chance to save yourself still. Does hurt worse on cantrip heroes though.

There's two different Sickly 1-points, with a difference in the name I can't remember right now. One is just the "Pain at 1 HP" conditional, the other has that and a second conditional (I think it's when you have incoming fatal). I know this because I had both of them at the same time in one run.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s totally bogus that my Twin can equip an item that makes his dice awesome (it made him copy the dice of another character) but his twin won’t get the same dice. What gives? What’s the point of a twin if it’s not really gonna twin?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also is there some explanation of what each hero color means? The only one that makes sense to me is green is a catchbag of weird stuff. Like I got a literal cat, sphere and coffin.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Vegetable posted:

It’s totally bogus that my Twin can equip an item that makes his dice awesome (it made him copy the dice of another character) but his twin won’t get the same dice. What gives? What’s the point of a twin if it’s not really gonna twin?

This also applies to things like rain of arrows - I gave it the keyword that gives a random keyword each turn + double use and hooo boy that was confusing when all the keywords shifted (and multiplied) every time you used it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vegetable posted:

Also is there some explanation of what each hero color means? The only one that makes sense to me is green is a catchbag of weird stuff. Like I got a literal cat, sphere and coffin.

Orange = Rogue (specializing in attacking cleverly)
Yellow = Fighter (specializing in attacking straightforwardly with big numbers)
Grey = Defender
Red = Healer
Blue = Caster

Green is, basically, gimmick heroes. Randomly generated heroes are also found here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quackles posted:

Green is, basically, gimmick heroes. Randomly generated heroes are also found here.

I thought you could have generated heroes of any colour.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I thought you could have generated heroes of any colour.

You can. I get them when having overleveled heroes thanks to earlier levelling blessing when I play blursed mode.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Tw1n uses the item, which copies the base dice of the above character, which is Twin, so it ends up the same*

*this will clear blessings/curses

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
How does “squared” work? I thought I understood it, but now I’m not sure.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

norp posted:

Big self death sides are amazing - I just finished a generate run where I had an amazing green that had a massive death side, a blue reuse side & a grey that stopped death. With my cantrip reroll sides I could consistently get a couple of hits in every turn with it. Nearly first-turned dragon with it.
I'll frequently grab an Eyepatch or Blindfold when offered, unless there's a good immediately useful item against it, purely on the speculative chance that it will be useful in the later stages. Blanking bad keywords on otherwise good sides is super satisfying (Blindfold on a Barbarian particularly feels like cheating). Sometimes you need a shuffle item to help out, but most of those are fairly cheap investments.

On a related note, a search field for items/monsters/classes would be welcome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

Seems buggy since it doesn't work with echo

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cheating sleeves is so much fun with duplicate sides

code:

`{d:{l:{m:[Alpha,Wolf]},m:[Versatile^4,Monster Hp Down^2,Reliable,i.Handcuffs],n:4,p:{e:[Emerald Shard,Pendulum],h:[y2.d5a,r1.eac~Handcuffs,y1.dd8,n2.978~Anchor,n1.45d~Iron Heart~Cheating Sleeves]},sl:1},p:["2{}",3],s:1355540,v:3018r}`

Edit: and it got sillier:

code:

`{d:{l:{m:[Saber,The Hand,Saber]},m:[Versatile^4,Monster Hp Down^2,Reliable,i.Handcuffs],n:20,p:{e:[Pendulum,Emerald Shard,Twisted Bar],h:[y3.8c0~Ghost Shield~Anchor,r2.512~ritem.2334~Longbow#Extra Pocket~Erythrocyte,y3.9e0~Obol~Sickle,n3.ccb~Hourglass~Iron Heart~Cheating Sleeves~Triple Shuriken,n3.190~Handcuffs]},sl:1},p:["2{ps:[!lr3.9f7@3lr3.4ce@3lr3.564@3lr3.b54@3lr3.a4d@3lr3.34f@3r3~1~l@3ss]}",3],s:00442311,v:3018r}`

norp fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 3, 2024

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

For keywords that scale with pips, it squares the keyword effect. So for an attack with the mana-gain keyword, it won't change the attack damage but will square the gained mana.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Please please please I know it probably gets said a lot but a menu option for turning off the reroll limiter. Please.

Make it unlock after 125 achievements or something, I don't care, but I'm hunting for the last few achievements on stuff like Generate-Unfair, and having to play through so many completely non-viable runs where I roll only heroes that want to kill themselves or roll only the worst curses, even only to stage 3 in order to reroll, is really killing my motivation. There is no worse feeling than wasting time on a run that's going nowhere just to have the possibility of maybe getting one that could go somewhere.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Hail Blurtra Satan

This takes forever, after this run I'll be sticking to classic mode for a while.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Are people getting any of the crazy new keywords like hyper-x on anything? I would have expected new items in the mix but I don't see them. I'm trying to play a lot of blurtra to see interesting combos.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I played about 10 rounds and won some of those. I did not manage to beat hard dificulty yet, but it was close.
To be honest, I'm already getting a bit bored. I keep seing the same items and some of the partymembers feel really bad.
Is there a bit more variation once you unlock more stuff? The early game items are especially boring by now. I did unlock a few things, but so far thise are situational at best. I.e. I could think of some specific synergies which would make it useful, but it's highly unlikely to get those.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 3, 2024

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Please please please I know it probably gets said a lot but a menu option for turning off the reroll limiter. Please.

Make it unlock after 125 achievements or something, I don't care, but I'm hunting for the last few achievements on stuff like Generate-Unfair, and having to play through so many completely non-viable runs where I roll only heroes that want to kill themselves or roll only the worst curses, even only to stage 3 in order to reroll, is really killing my motivation. There is no worse feeling than wasting time on a run that's going nowhere just to have the possibility of maybe getting one that could go somewhere.

Isn't that what a palate cleanser heaven run is for?

The "re seed" trigger is not per mode so doing a quick run on something else is the best answer

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

cant cook creole bream posted:

I played about 10 rounds and won some of those. I did not manage to beat hard dificulty yet, but it was close.
To be honest, I'm already getting a bit bored. I keep seing the same items and some of the partymembers feel really bad.
Is there a bit more variation once you unlock more stuff? The early game items are especially boring by now. I did unlock a few things, but so far thise are situational at best. I.e. I could think of some specific synergies which would make it useful, but it's highly unlikely to get those.

just click the unlock all button - theres a bunch of other game modes that may be more interesting for you. Though you could just be bouncing off the general concept.

Kind of agree on the items. I think the game is at its most fun with items at like Tier 6+ and especially when you get into the randomly generated/smushed together items, so I do wish they showed up more often in a normal game run.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm sure it's been reported but Bossilisk seems to be eligible to be offered multiple times a curse and taking multiples doesn't change the boss fight.

malnourish posted:

Are people getting any of the crazy new keywords like hyper-x on anything? I would have expected new items in the mix but I don't see them. I'm trying to play a lot of blurtra to see interesting combos.

I haven't -- the shifter keyword (from gizmo and the T3 orange agent) once gave me "inflict inflictnothing" which was very funny. I got an option for a random "add KEYWORD to all sides" item that I slam picked but it gave me +fumble to all sides (50% chance to be blanked per turn, lol).

I think there's definitely a place for curses that affect specific enemies -- iirc in a previous version there's one where goblins got their old "+1 pip to all sides each time i'm damaged). I totally get the desire to avoid something that might not have an effect in any single fight, but there's definitely a high-enough occurrence of most enemies that like, "undying first turn illusions" or "each slate hp spawns slimelets" would have an impact over the length of one run.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Trying to get two Dabbler picks for the achievement.

Doing 5-orange Heaven runs, picked the "you get like a dozen more fuckin' choices for level ups" blessing. No Dabbler. Checked the hero log, says "Banned (Mana)." Is Dabbler just never going to be an option if I don't start with at least one red/blue hero, even if I start with Dabbles?

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Sharpshooter with rampage on the left face is very good.

I really like Pilgrim and Jester. Most of the level threes that are offered don't seem as good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

moosferatu posted:

Sharpshooter with rampage on the left face is very good.

I really like Pilgrim and Jester. Most of the level threes that are offered don't seem as good.

yea theres a couple of classes that can form really strong combo or enablement synergies and upgrades just...dont do that

i really like primrose and its really hard to upgrade off a class where every side does something useful \ strong and comes with a class ability and the options to upgrade to are like... a class with no sides or one with only 2 sides or whatever dumb bullshit is packed in green

Pilgrim, Bard, Jester, Druid are all really fun

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jerkface posted:

... a class with no sides... dumb bullshit...

Don't disrespect Statue like that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Poopy Palpy posted:

Don't disrespect Statue like that.

Every time im offered it i have no items that give sides, gently caress that class :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Every time im offered it i have no items that give sides, gently caress that class :colbert:

Even if you don't have items that make good use of it right now, it's still really good as a tank. Also remember that the run away mechanic is based on your HP. So having a giant block of HP is still useful in making the enemy run away.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I made it to level 100 in Blursed and it is a fun mode, but The Hand can go gently caress himself

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, the Hand can just decide to end my runs if I'm running some short of defensive team and he just decides to spawn two swords every turn.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If the swords had a few less HP or did slightly less damage it'd still be tough but less like "welp, you rolled a bad party for this boss, better luck next time"

I know this is explicitly a luck based game but it feels really rough to land at a boss and just know you're hosed.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Cursory googling says no, but is there any way of keeping the iOS and Steam version synced in terms of progress? All I've found so far is that you can apparently export achievements (which may or may not be tied to unlocks) from the Android version and import them into the Steam version.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Achievements are your progress, generally speaking. They're what unlock things.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've never felt screwed when I see the Hand. Hexia, absolutely. The Inevitable? Definitely.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I sort of feel that the game should tell you the final boss sometime in advance, like StS. The builds that work against each one are very different

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Even if you don't have items that make good use of it right now, it's still really good as a tank. Also remember that the run away mechanic is based on your HP. So having a giant block of HP is still useful in making the enemy run away.
Will a full party of statues make a bunch of enemies run away immediately?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Woebin posted:

Will a full party of statues make a bunch of enemies run away immediately?

If their hp is high enough at the end of the first turn the enemies should run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just wanna say that I’ve been playing this for like 50 hours and Easy mode is the most fun way to play this. It’s nice to not have to work so hard for a dang dice game.