Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rarity posted:

I see the cops have already made Scotland's anti-hate law irrelevant by giving JK a free pass

This legislation is confusing (is it an extra charge that accompanies a charge of violence, is it the equivalent of reporting a goon post to the mods, is it something that will be held on a file and be revealed during background checks?) and I think a lot of that will come out in the wash (likely I just haven't read enough or on the right places), but if it is allowed to be perceived as useless in a move by a billionaire to infuence hate and probably increase how bold TERFs will be over the next few months, then you have to wonder what the loving point was.

SG should be taking JK on and calling her bluff or at least making clear why misgendering and lining your Twitter beefs up in a thread alongside sexual offenders is technically not a hate crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

really made an absolute oval office of himself lol

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Isomermaid posted:

No though it's great, official sign-off at the highest level in the land that we can just ignore laws we disagree with! I can think of a few amazing ones if we can use this excuse

She can, we cannot.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

mediaphage posted:

lol sure ok

Robert Maxwell's connections to Czechoslovakia were the sole reason the Israelis were able to bring to bear an air force and win the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, which they were on track to lose up till that point. Half a dozen current and former Mossad chiefs attended his funeral. His daughter is Ghislaine Maxwell. It really isn't a big stretch.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Epstein wasn't Mossad, I know this because Alan Derzshowitz said so.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
some pretty blatant antisemitism in this thread is it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Getting a bit weird in here.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well that didn't take long

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

getting???

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Bozza posted:

some pretty blatant antisemitism in this thread is it

And this thread freaks out whenever anyone suggests that the british left and Corbyn have a history of antisemitism.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shakespearean Beef posted:

And this thread freaks out whenever anyone suggests that the british left and Corbyn have a history of antisemitism.

Can you speak a bit about how you proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
making GBS threads on israel isnt antisemitism.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The connections of Robert Maxwell to the Mossad are fairly well known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell#Mossad_allegations;_Vanunu_case

Ditto with Epstein (although US intel connections seem to have more evidence):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein#Alleged_connections_to_intelligence

quote:

Epstein was rumoured to be associated with intelligence.[291] The US journalists Dylan Howard, Melissa Cronin and James Robertson linked Epstein to the Israeli Mossad in their book Epstein: Dead Men Tell No Tales. They relied for the most part on the former Israeli intelligence officer Ari Ben-Menashe.[292] According to him, Epstein's activities as a spy served to gather compromising material on powerful people in order to blackmail them.[293] There is also a possible connection to the Mossad via Ghislaine Maxwell, whose father Robert Maxwell is said to have had contacts with the Mossad.[294] Epstein's victim Virginia Giuffre also alleged Epstein to be an intelligence asset, linking on Twitter to a Reddit page, that alleged Epstein being a spy, running a blackmail operation.[295]

As US Attorney in Florida, the later US Secretary of Labour Alexander Acosta reached a settlement with Epstein's lawyers (including Alan M. Dershowitz) in 2008, which allowed him to receive a very light prison sentence. Acosta later reportedly stated that he was told that Epstein "belonged to intelligence" and that the issue was above his "pay grade." According to Acosta, he was pushed to give him a good deal.[296]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem with intelligence agencies is that they're by definition well funded, secretive, and operate outside of basically anybody's oversight and are explicitly allowed to ignore the law and/or willing to break it and get away with it. And some of the poo poo they're known to have done is so utterly heinous that it's hard to rule out any horrific act on the basis of "nobody would do that because it's so horrible" and some of the other stuff is so outlandish and stupid that you also can't say "well nobody would do that because it's idiotically convoluted and serves no obvious purpose"

So you're left basically in a position where any given absurd theory might or might not be true. So I generally settle on the position that all spies should be avoided at all costs and/or shot on sight if you can get away with it, but also trying to figure out specifically what they're up to or why is probably not enormously productive. It's probably hosed up and stupid but you can't really do much about it even if you somehow managed to figure it all out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Mossad don't need to blackmail western nations for support. They have a financial and geopolitical incentive to support Israel regardless of what they do.
Blackmail would actually be preferable, because then we wouldn't be willingly culpable in decades of brutality.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that the American right wing is stuffed to the gills with evangelical death cultists, who want Israel to exterminate the Palestinians and take control of all of their land because they believe that this is a prerequisite for the end of the world, which they see as both imminent and a good thing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

The problem with intelligence agencies is that they're by definition well funded, secretive, and operate outside of basically anybody's oversight and are explicitly allowed to ignore the law and/or willing to break it and get away with it. And some of the poo poo they're known to have done is so utterly heinous that it's hard to rule out any horrific act on the basis of "nobody would do that because it's so horrible" and some of the other stuff is so outlandish and stupid that you also can't say "well nobody would do that because it's idiotically convoluted and serves no obvious purpose"

So you're left basically in a position where any given absurd theory might or might not be true. So I generally settle on the position that all spies should be avoided at all costs and/or shot on sight if you can get away with it, but also trying to figure out specifically what they're up to or why is probably not enormously productive. It's probably hosed up and stupid but you can't really do much about it even if you somehow managed to figure it all out.

What spies are you talking about?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Reminder that the American right wing is stuffed to the gills with evangelical death cultists, who want Israel to exterminate the Palestinians and take control of all of their land because they believe that this is a prerequisite for the end of the world, which they see as both imminent and a good thing

And one of them was recently president!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Failed Imagineer posted:

And one of them was recently president!

you must mean bush. trump is rotten to the core but he’s no evangelical

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mediaphage posted:

you must mean bush. trump is rotten to the core but he’s no evangelical

Correct. Dubya was always banging on about Gog and Magog, and such

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

which makes it all the funnier trumps hawking a loving bible with lee greenwood that has prints of the constitution and the pledge of allegiance

honestly y’all have a terrible history and evil governments too but at least you have i dunno, castles and poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mediaphage posted:

honestly y’all have a terrible history and evil governments too but at least you have i dunno, castles and poo poo

The castles are as much to trap the nonces inside as to keep the poors out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of castles, a couple went to europe on a honeymoon in the sixties and came back to my home state of kentucky to build a castle. it’s in versailles (pronounced ver-sails).

the castle started construction in 1969 and then they divorced six years later lolol. someone bought it in 2005 and finished it to turn it into a hotel

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

This is the main reason why I think it's insane that Britain's nuclear deterrent is dependent on the USA.

Nuclear deterrents are for batshit insane Wasteland type scenarios, anyone who thinks they have one weird trick to use them in a conventional war definitely shouldn't have one, so if your nuclear deterrent can't account for threats like "President Taylor-Greene decides to immanentize armageddon" then it's functionally useless. Fully independent or none.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

putting the parking lot right next to the front entrance really makes it truly american

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

President Taylor-Greene

oh are we telling horror stories now

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

mediaphage posted:

putting the parking lot right next to the front entrance really makes it truly american

I was gonna comment on that but I guess check out Clifford's tower in York

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mediaphage posted:

speaking of castles, a couple went to europe on a honeymoon in the sixties and came back to my home state of kentucky to build a castle. it’s in versailles (pronounced ver-sails).

the castle started construction in 1969 and then they divorced six years later lolol. someone bought it in 2005 and finished it to turn it into a hotel

Doesn't even have a moat, you could put alligators in the moat... alligators with laser beams!!! :getin:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the main reason why I think it's insane that Britain's nuclear deterrent is dependent on the USA.

It isn’t fully dependent you are right as trident is an American system with missile sharing. Could MBDA create a SLBM? Sure, not sure if it’s worth doing that in order to stop missile sharing? Sure. Is there stuff we should spend the money on instead? Certainly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

serious gaylord posted:

Have they worked out if we sold them the missiles that killed our citizens?

It's not completely impossible, the brimstone/martlet are exactly the sort of light guided missile for it, but Israel does not officially have them I think.

e: Really unlikely though, they have plenty of other missiles.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 3, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The solution to missile-sharing is creating safe launching sites and a clean supply of missiles.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Shakespearean Beef posted:

how long were you reading the thread for, waiting to make that remark? lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My brain melted after watching this....
https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1775605599276835222

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sawt it AAAAAHHHT proime ministah

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's such a oval office
https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1775584051673403522

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

mediaphage posted:

That photos is doing a lot of heavy lifting, it looks terrible close up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most European castles are falling to bits too tho.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

Most European castles are falling to bits too tho.
But it's authenticly decaying. That thing is barely above the magic castle at Disney; a cheaply constructed monstrosity that has all the finesse of a Liz Truss policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
we're going to have the next tory leader run their election campaign on putting a massive net along the channel