Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I don't think it's that hard to get some people who you start chatting with interested enough to go on a date a date if you are not concerned with showing your real personality, don't mind lying, and study up on stuff that probably works. I'd also like to know what they use for training data, but it doesn't surprise me that an AI who has no real personality, no problem with lying, and a database of fairly flirty stuff that worked on some people can generate a few lines of text that pique someone's interest. I think most women on dating sites who will go on a date in a reasonable timeframe (as opposed to endlessly chatting or looking to collect messages for an ego boost) are really looking for 'sounds not boring and not red-flagged, I'll figure out the rest in person', so what an AI is good at generating should be good for that.

I assume the bot is mostly just a numbers thing, it can message a lot more women without needing to spend extra time.

But also yes, people who are serious about online dating generally are more interested in getting to know someone over coffee or drinks than building an online romance via chat, so the AI doesn't really need any elaborate seduction abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I assume the bot is mostly just a numbers thing, it can message a lot more women without needing to spend extra time.
If it's like the one I linked it seems like it doesn't have direct integration with any dating apps and you have to manually copy in the messages you receive to get it to generate responses so it doesn't seem like it goes off and spams people on its own

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

If it's like the one I linked it seems like it doesn't have direct integration with any dating apps and you have to manually copy in the messages you receive to get it to generate responses so it doesn't seem like it goes off and spams people on its own

lol, that's pretty bad then! I assumed the bot was at least doing the legwork for him since manually feeding messages into a chatbot seems so much worse than just typing up a couple messages worth of small talk, but I guess I was giving him too much credit

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
It’s an AI Cyrano de Bergerac, this isn’t complicated!

Brb, getting funding for my new startup cyrAIno

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A classic - estranged, abusive family member suddenly reaches out and is all sweetness and light. Gosh, could it be that they want something?

AITAH for not helping my “sister” out of a financial hole because she was a monster to me?

quote:

I 26F grew up with 2 other siblings. 29M and 34F My sister is 9 years older than me so we never really got to bond? She was also always really mean to me and would hit me and push me around. I still have a scar on my face from her pushing me off of a rock wall in a park when I was 11. I later found out that I am not my fathers kid and he didn’t find out until I was 3 and that’s when my dad divorced my mom and she ultimately blames me for, in her words, “my parents splitting up” I haven’t spoken to my sister since I was… 13? She would call me “bastard baby” and “the home wrecker”

When I was 17 I couldn’t go to college because my mom wasn’t well off. My brother said he would help and he asked my sister if she would chip in and she wouldn’t. So I ultimately decided I wouldn’t go. I got a Job and worked. When I was 19 I was invited to a party and that’s where I met my boyfriend. We got married when I was 22 (I know that’s young, no need to tell me) and he put me through college. I am now a nurse with my bachelors and I’m going back for my masters soon.

My husband is well off... My brother lost his Job during Covid and hasn’t been able to find good work since and he almost lost his house and my husband said he would help him. This brings me to two weeks ago I got a call from an unknown number and it’s her and she’s happy to hear from me and find me and she’s acting like we had a good relationship. Then it comes out, her husband made some bad business deals and they’re going under. She’s been staying with “our dad” (Mind you she’s always called me a bastard and I “took her dad from her” so it’s funny that he’s now “our dad”) and she Just needs some help to get on her feet.

I told her “when the scar under my eye goes away, I’ll give you all the money you want” and she tries to apologize and I hung up. I really don’t know the woman she is now. It may be petty but she made my life a living hell and I had no clue why until I was almost an adult. She took her anger out on me. I understand why she was upset but did she have to be so cruel? I would have preferred if she only ignored me. My brother calls me and tells me I have a niece and nephew and he understands if I don’t want to help her but I should think about them and if I don’t want to help out that’s still okay. But like… I don’t know them either? All of these people are essentially strangers to me, I didn’t even know I had a niece and nephew from her. I only know about my nephew from my brother.

I’m Just really conflicted… would I be wrong not helping? If I did it would be out of my money, my husband and brother are best friends pretty much which is why he had no problem helping him but he says he doesn’t know my sister or care for her knowing what she put me through and since it’s coming out of my money… I really don’t want to.
Eat poo poo, sis. Excellent mic drop response by OP there.

Math fans might note that the sister was 20 when she pushed an 11 year old off a rock wall, almost costing OP her eye.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Captain Yossarian posted:

I recommend threatening a politician or posting this picture a whole bunch

I will not be busting the krust

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Scathach posted:

Wtf is it about weddings that drive people insane? I don't get it. Who cares if your friend has mondo titties, roll with that poo poo.

Absolutely voting for a gold catsuit for the wedding.

Wear it under the giant suit, then when you get to the alter, rip the suit off in one dramatic motion like Kiryu.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for telling my in laws that their adopted kid isn't welcome here anymore and that I will kick them out if they go against me?

quote:

Before anyone comes for me, YES, I'm legally allowed to kick them out whenever. They pay zero bills here and don't even get their mail here. 30F. My MIL and FIL moved in to my home 5 months ago to "help" us. This was immediately following me giving birth to my daughter. They occupy the space above my garage. They pay zero bills (despite both working full time) and as I said, don't even have their mail sent here. The whole point of them moving here was to help with the baby, because my husband is deployed and I had no one.

Two weeks after they moved in, their adopted son (21m) came to live with them. They did not ask me. I immediately ran in to issues with this because he blares the horn from the driveway for seemingly no reason (he has severe ADHD and apparently it's a "tick") or revs his truck AND dirt bike up for hours for no loving reason and it was waking up the baby constantly. So I told him directly he either stops or he wasn't welcome here anymore. My in laws stopped coming over after that. I literally did not see them once from November to January because they were pissed at me (because their son said "gently caress this" and moved out and in with his girlfriend and they blamed me for being controlling and causing problems).

Well, 2 weeks ago their son moved back in (I'm assuming, because he's here 24/7). And as of last week, he started taking his dirt bike out again and once again my baby isn't sleeping because he revs the piss out of it right outside our window. Whenever I went out to say anything to him he would take off so I never got the chance. But today he was sitting out in the driveway and started blaring on his truck horn and yelling out the window, telling his mom to "hurry up". Literally blared on that horn for a solid 3 minutes straight. I was pissed because I had JUST got the baby to sleep and she's been difficult lately because she's teething. So I went outside and flipped the gently caress out. I told him to get off my property and that he wasn't welcome back here. My MIL immediately started jumping to her sons defense and said that I couldn't tell her who she could and couldn't have here, so I screamed back "the gently caress I can't! You don't pay any bills here, you don't even get your loving mail here! That kid steps foot on my property one single time again and you'll be out of here!" They leave. Well, my husband called asking what happened because she texted him (he's on base right now) and I told him that their son was at it again with his bullshit and he wasnt welcome here anymore. My husband is on my side but said that threatening to kick his parents out was wrong because they have no where else to go. I told him they can go to a nursing home for all I care. AITA?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i love having beef with a baby and revving my cool motorcycle

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
can you take a baby on a motorcycle

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like that they moved in to supposedly help with the baby (which they presumably haven't done?) and are paying zero bills despite working full time but they can't move out because they have nowhere to go?

Also asking the son to not blast the horn for no reason does not exactly seem like an unreasonable request.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for accidentally doing my friend’s roommate’s laundry?

quote:

I (AFAB, 18) have a friend, (AFAB, 23). My friend (I’ll refer to her as Tara) moved from Palestine in September and lives in a large house with around eight other people. Tara has been very depressed since moving here as she has little contact with her family who are still in Palestine. Her room has gotten very messy over the last month or two (which is unlike her) so I decided that every Saturday I would go over and help her out with cleaning, laundry, dishes, and making her dinner. This Saturday I came over around four pm, did my usual cleaning while she handled dinner, ate and then got ready to head back around nine pm. The washing machine has been acting up lately in Tara’s house so I offered that I bring home her laundry to my house, clean it and bring it over to her after school on Monday. She was grateful and told me to take the basket that was next to her backdoor on my way out. When I went downstairs to leave, I saw three baskets. I wasn’t sure which one was Tara’s but I was been driven home by my dad so I figured I’d just take all of them. The next day I washed them, dried them and folded them. Some of the clothes didn’t look like Tara’s so I figured some of them were her roommate’s stuff too. On Monday I went over to her house to drop of the clothes and one of her roommates opened the door, and after telling him why I was there he flipped out. He started yelling at me, saying that it was a violation of his privacy and that I shouldn’t have taken them. To put this in perspective, you have a 6’5 grown man yelling at a 5’2 teenager for doing his laundry. Another one of her roommates came over and began yelling at me as well after overhearing apparently i had washed her clothes too. Tara wasn’t there at the time so i dropped the clothes at the door step and walked home.

I do feel really awful as I feel like I trespassed her roommates property. I don’t know if I should tell Tara what happened or not. So, AITA?

[Jeff Foxworthy voice] If you steal multiple peoples' clothes for the weekend rather than spend half a second clarifying the situation....you might be a redditor

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mystes posted:

Also asking the son to not blast the horn for no reason does not exactly seem like an unreasonable request.

It's a tick. So she should tell them her tick is putting sugar in his gas tank.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for telling my in laws that their adopted kid isn't welcome here anymore and that I will kick them out if they go against me?

"You have ADHD?"
"Yeah."
"So that means you gotta sit in the driveway and honk the horn?"
"It helps."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not including any of the neighbor’s kids into my daycare because of how they acted in the beginning?

quote:

Let me start this off by saying I have a daycare license and when I got my apartment, a 1 bedroom open space plan (obviously aside from the bedroom) I was very upfront about how I was going to use the space to my landlord. It took some compromising but I have full permission to use the area as a daycare lawfully and locally (landlord). My apartment is on the first floor so all clients have to do is walk through the lobby where I meet them/guide them to the apartment which is the first one on the hallway. Please ask any questions if needed, I’m trying to not give too much details about location.

My neighbors were unhappy about this I think. Whether it was passive aggressive notes or side eyeing the parents that would sometimes wait in the building’s lobby, they were not kind. My daycare is from 10am to 6pm which is pretty standard hours for noise and I don’t let the kids run wild or anything but I’ve always received complaints.

I had an issue come to head last week when a local daycare near us had to close down for a while. I’m not associated with that daycare so I don’t know all of it. All I know from the news and all was that the daycare had to close down due to improper building regulations or something.

This led to some of my neighbors asking if I had space for their kid(s). Now, their kids are of age for the license I’m authorized to care for. However, although I can’t confirm who did or didn’t complain, I’m pretty sure plenty of the parents who reached out must’ve complained at some point especially the ones on our floor. I think it’s unfair to take them in after they made complaints.

I reached out to ask the landlord if it’s fine to put a poster on the building bulletin board that I will not be taking in any kids of the building who were not already enrolled in my daycare. He confirmed that would be fine as long as it was informational (so no saying I’m refusing because of past compliants). I put up the notice/flyer without issue.

Today though, I had a neighbor knock on my door. I opened and he began to ask me about the flyer/notice. I just reiterated what it said but he kept pressing on why the residents of the actual building don’t get childcare in their own building. I explain that I’m independent from the building. He kept on pressing saying it makes more sense that the people who live here get to have childcare access and I got a little snappy and said that if multiple weren’t complaining about noise in the past then maybe I wouldn’t have that notice.

I guess he spread the word around and now I’m getting some sticky notes on my door or complaints about noise before I even start daycare. AITA?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Captain Hygiene posted:

[Jeff Foxworthy voice] If you steal multiple peoples' clothes for the weekend rather than spend half a second clarifying the situation....you might be a redditor

why wouldn't you just ask and no anxiety isn't a good answer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not asking is dumb and she shouldn't have done that (he is right to be unhappy imo) but yelling is a bit excessive, assuming he was actually yelling.

I think "please do not do that again" would have sufficed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 3, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The_Franz posted:

"You have ADHD?"
"Yeah."
"So that means you gotta sit in the driveway and honk the horn?"
"It helps."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like "living funeral" is a persistent spontaneous invention of dudes in their 20s with the robust and dynamic social circle that entails.

My grandma had a living funeral type thing, she was declining from Parkinson's and so all her relatives and all the kids she'd fostered over the decades came out to say goodbye and tell her how much of a positive impact she's been in their lives.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was the son blasting Guns n Roses while riding away with Budnick from Salute Your Shorts on the back? If so op needs to leave that house immediately

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

so long suckers! i rev up my motorcylce and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying with severe ADHD on the pavement

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not including any of the neighbor’s kids into my daycare because of how they acted in the beginning?

yta what was the point in putting up the notice, all you're doing is antagonising your neighbours. just saying no in person to anyone who asked would have been fine, could have said "sorry we're full" or whatever. explicitly making it about people in her building was a really dumb move and she's just put herself even further down everyone's poo poo-list

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I accidentally deliberately took someone else's laundry on purpose

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

yta what was the point in putting up the notice, all you're doing is antagonising your neighbours. just saying no in person to anyone who asked would have been fine, could have said "sorry we're full" or whatever. explicitly making it about people in her building was a really dumb move and she's just put herself even further down everyone's poo poo-list

Yeah, I think people with kids are probably acquainted with how hard it is to get into daycare on short notice. Nobody would have noticed anything was up if she just said she was booked up and the waitlist was overflowing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's AFAB? All Foremen Are Bastards?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITAH for telling my husband me and the kids are leaving if he brings home his grandfather's untrained, aggressive dog

quote:

I 32f have been with my husband 37M for 9 years married for 7 and have 2 kids Amy 6F and Luke 2M. Things have been going well all things considered except for one reoccurring issue about dogs. I don't like them, never have. On our very first date I told him I don't like dogs and under no circumstances would I ever get a dog. He was upset about that and said that would be a deal breaker for him. I had no hard feelings as that wasn't the first time it had happed, however a few weeks later he said he wanted to give us a go anyway.

Since then he has repeatedly tried to get me to give in to having a dog, including a plan to surprise me with one as a birthday present, which thankfully I learned about ahead of time and put a stop to. He tries every few years to bring home a dog. We have gone to marriage counseling over this, but stopped because he felt our councilor was ganging up on him. All this to say I am on my very last rope on this subject.

On the subject of his Grandfather 80's M , His grandfather is an alcoholic, a sexist, a racist, a hoarder and a redneck. He is currently in hospital with a failing liver and it doesn't look like he has long. Despite his everything, my husband loves his grandfather. His grandfather wants my husband to take care of his dog, This is very much a "Junkyard Dog" This dog has never been groomed or trained. It's aggressive and honestly pretty disgusting. His grandfather beings this dog everywhere with him and it barks at strangers, chases other dogs down in the middle of the street, has injured several family members, chews furniture, and poops and pees wherever the hell it pleases. My husband is jumping at the chance to bring home this dog and I have made it clear in no uncertain terms that if he brings that dog anywhere near our home me and the kids are gone. Despite this my husband continues to argue that the dog is family and is being entrusted in him by his grandfather. So, AITAH?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Cacator posted:

Assigned Female At Birth

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I bet that idiot could win her over on the concept of dogs if he introduced her to some really nice dogs. A dangerous junkyard dog is only going to further entrench someone's incorrect opinions on dogs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Honestly really thought after the first few sentences, Jeff was just gonna go impregnate his sister.
No worries, the next generation will be picking up the slack on incest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I bet that idiot could win her over on the concept of dogs if he introduced her to some really nice dogs. A dangerous junkyard dog is only going to further entrench someone's incorrect opinions on dogs.

Nah, that lady's opinions on dogs are more correct than most dog owners. If you're not going to give a dog the care and attention it needs (which is a lot of work and not for everybody) then don't get a loving dog. The only dog opinions that need correcting in this scenario are the husband and his family.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

the holy poopacy posted:

Nah, that lady's opinions on dogs are more correct than most dog owners. If you're not going to give a dog the care and attention it needs (which is a lot of work and not for everybody) then don't get a loving dog. The only dog opinions that need correcting in this scenario are the husband and his family.

What makes you think the husband won't take care of the dog

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baronjutter posted:

I bet that idiot could win her over on the concept of dogs if he introduced her to some really nice dogs.

She told him when they met that it was a solid boundary and the decided to give it a go anyway. He's spent the last decade trying to force a dog on her to the point they had to see a marriage counselor which he then quit. He even tried to give her the one thing she said she never wants as a gift for her loving birthday.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cacator posted:

Assigned Female At Birth. A lot of very young/online people have started saying this instead of just "male" or "female" to acknowledge the impermanence and arbitrariness of gender

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Assigned Female At Birth. A lot of very young/online people have started saying this instead of just "male" or "female" to acknowledge the impermanence and arbitrariness of gender
I'm not sure that using AFAB when you're just talking about your gender and your AGAB is irrelevant to the post like the OP appears to be doing is necessarily a great way to do that though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also :lol: at the backstory of
"I do not like dogs, I will never consider owning a dog, there will be zero dogs in my life if this relationship continues"
*husband begins scheming to get surprise birthday dog*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

500excf type r posted:

It sounds like the dog has major behavioral issues so taking care of it and retraining it will be a full-time job. It cannot be in the same house as preteens while those issues remain and it already has a history of biting people so it may be a lost cause :/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She told him when they met that it was a solid boundary and the decided to give it a go anyway. He's spent the last decade trying to force a dog on her to the point they had to see a marriage counselor which he then quit. He even tried to give her the one thing she said she never wants as a gift for her loving birthday.

Yeah, he took the entirely wrong approach. He should have respected that boundary and been actually ok with it never changing, but also maybe letting her interact with and meet some really lovely therapy-dog level dogs. Over time from non-forced exposure to good dogs, she MAY have softened. But trying to force it only cements it, and refusing to even entertain the idea that she may never change her opinion on dogs is just loving their marriage. Just give it up dude.

My wife HATED dogs when she moved here, but she grew up in a place with dangerous stray dogs and a lot of people who owned dogs not caring for them or training them properly because the purpose of a dog is to guard and intimidate. After spending some time with some very chill small dogs over the years she's become the driving force to perhaps get a dog of our own.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

500excf type r posted:

The op said fairly little about her husband, yet somehow I am absolutely certain that the exact second he was allowed to bring a dog home, he would dump all the actual work taking care of it on his wife.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

AnoHito posted:

The op said fairly little about her husband, yet somehow I am absolutely certain that the exact second he was allowed to bring a dog home, he would dump all the actual work taking care of it on his wife.

That's your projection tho

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

500excf type r posted:

I hate how often people just project and make poo poo up from whole cloth from these stories, but in this case they're 100% correct. I can feel it deep in my bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

500excf type r posted:

It is, but there is probably some level of correlation between not giving a poo poo about your spouse's feelings like this and being likely to foist responsibilities for taking care of an animal on them

If you think your spouse is unreasonable for not wanting a dog and don't care about their point of view, and therefore you feel like you should force a dog on them for their own good, maybe after that you will end up thinking they are unreasonable for not willing to take care of the dog and think you should force them to do that for their own good as well.

A reasonable person would say "I won't always be available to take care of the dog and would need my spouse to help some of the time, so if they aren't able to do that, I shouldn't get a dog" and not take in the dog in the first place. So if you're already getting a dog with the plan to make them do something they aren't willing to do some of the time, what's to stop you from doing it most or all of the time?

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 3, 2024