Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Platystemon posted:

What do you call these sinks that stick out the front of the countertop, and why are they suddenly everywhere?

e: Keyword is “farmhouse”.

e2: :barf:

The keyword is actually "apron front".

"Farmhouse" refers to very large single-basin sinks, which were in actual farmhouses to allow the sink to be used for things like laundry or cleaning up large amounts of produce from the garden during canning.

You can get apron front sinks with dual basins:

and you can get get farmhouse sinks without an apron front

Trouble is realtors/flippers don't bother to learn about anything beyond whatever buzzword is being thrown around and every "modern farmhouse" kitchen which HGTV shat put in the last decade had an apron front sink, so the terms have become commingled in product listings and marketing.

Personally I kind of like the function of an apron front but also kind of hate the implementation. The cabinetry details right under the front of a sink is both non-functional and tends to get wet a lot so replacing it with a trivial to clean waterproof surface is nice. But pretty much every apron front sink also has a smooth rounded corner at the bottom front edge. Any water dripping down goes right into the under-sink cabinet itself, which is much worse than a standard countertop where it has a chance to drip from the countertop overhang.

If there were a plain apron front with a small lip running right around the bottom of the front that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Life hack: after washing your deck, set it in 45 degree angle so it dries faster.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

God, that is an aggressively white room.

In more ways than one

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

I’m calling applesauce on this one. Those steps are fine, the next step is covering that framing with Trex or some other thin composite board.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what is supporting the vertical load on each section?

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Probably just some screws. You could skip the spacer boards and lay the composite planks directly on the stringers, or even use thinner wood for the spacers entirely.

The composite is fine by itself with proper stinger placement, at least by code up by me. The spacer boards just help get rid of the little bit of disconcerting bounce they have in the middles.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

brugroffil posted:

what is supporting the vertical load on each section?

Looks like nothing, which suggests it's a prank or a gag. There may have been a pile of scrap cut-offs that by coincidence perfectly matched the gap in the stringers, so someone stuck them in there for the fun of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The fact that you can't see fasteners doesn't mean they aren't there. They could be toenailed in from below, which is my guess as to how they're attached.

This would be a pretty high-effort gag, considering that there's six stringers, and seven visible treads. That's 35 individual pieces of wood that needed to be cut and installed, and then they applied high-gloss wood finish for some reason.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The fact that you can't see fasteners doesn't mean they aren't there. They could be toenailed in from below, which is my guess as to how they're attached.

This would be a pretty high-effort gag, considering that there's six stringers, and seven visible treads. That's 35 individual pieces of wood that needed to be cut and installed, and then they applied high-gloss wood finish for some reason.

As someone from Vancouver I believe that is just wet wood from rain. You can see the upright of whatever on the right side of the frame is wet also.

For sure this is real btw I don't think it's a gag at all, someone bought runners and said to themselves that it seems pretty self explanatory what to do.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like nothing, which suggests it's a prank or a gag. There may have been a pile of scrap cut-offs that by coincidence perfectly matched the gap in the stringers, so someone stuck them in there for the fun of it.

Looking closer at the leading edges, there appear to be toe nails.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Nothing weird about that one. It's a second floor deck with a first floor door. Of course it has to be at an angle for that to work.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The front fell off.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Got to make sure you’re building with well-rested lumber, or it could get sleepy like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This doesn't seem right. Where's my level?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

This doesn't seem right. Where's my level?

I think the guy used a level but the wrong part of it

It's a 33.33% chance, could happen to anyone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

`Nemesis posted:

best explanation i saw for this was the builder hosed up the measurements so the rise was too small, so instead of cutting new stringers they did this.

I do think it's easily salvageable with bracing on the underside as well as risers. I think the design is visually interesting at least, and apparently well constructed even if done wrong.

The rise is the same whether the boards are there or on top, except for the very top and bottom steps.
Those stringers are precut from Home Depot or the like.

Platystemon posted:

What do you call these sinks that stick out the front of the countertop, and why are they suddenly everywhere?

e: Keyword is “farmhouse”.

e2: :barf:

I think they forgot something.

"What do you mean I have to 'do more than toenail the deck into the fascia board'? It's *fine*! Where's it gonna go?"

kid sinister posted:

The front fell off.

I think that's the back.
Perhaps they used packing tape?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Zero lag bolts, holy poo poo.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lag bolts, lack of bolts, what's the difference?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

kid sinister posted:

The front fell off.

That's not very typical.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This is what decapitated Kim Kardashian.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Push El Burrito posted:

This is what decapitated Kim Kardashian.

The ultimate trap door.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
this is fine

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugh, don't they know they should have used velcro?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

this is fine

The joist in the foreground could have used some too.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Its impossible to predict how the PVC will line up

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If only there was a way to measure lengths, perhaps on a retracting tape?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Nenonen posted:

It was prophesied that not by the hand of a man would Hitler fall.

Hitler, staring into a mirror in his bunker: no man can kill me
Mirror Hitler, holding gun to head: I am no man

*Mirror Hitler pulls her Hitler hair off, causing her blonde hair to fall down to her shoulders*

BLAM

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Whole house shook at 10:25.

4.7 earthquake under central New Jersey. I thought my foundation failed, or my one last old tree fell over.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Lol, a tree falling was my first thought. Then, oh no, it fell on the house. Then it's still going what the gently caress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My first thought was "huh, small earthquake, alright". It wasn't until five minutes later that I realized "wait, I'm not in California any more, this isn't normal!"

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Whole house shook at 10:25.

4.7 earthquake under central New Jersey. I thought my foundation failed, or my one last old tree fell over.

Felt it up here in Boston. Thought it was the construction next to my office, but my wife also felt at home.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have foundation work going on and the masonry workers showed up like 10 minutes before it happened. I just thought "oh I guess they're chiseling more stone".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EPICAC posted:

Felt it up here in Boston. Thought it was the construction next to my office, but my wife also felt at home.

Buddy, you don't have to declare it in every thread on these forums that you have an open relationship.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/fHvtYPA.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's Kitboga doing his Edna voice and you can't convince me otherwise.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

My first thought was "huh, small earthquake, alright". It wasn't until five minutes later that I realized "wait, I'm not in California any more, this isn't normal!"

Yeah if it was every mag 4+ earthquake here in AK, I'd be posting twice a week for the state, and twice a month for south central.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

spookykid posted:

Yeah if it was every mag 4+ earthquake here in AK, I'd be posting twice a week for the state, and twice a month for south central.

New Zealander here. We’re like a sixth the size of Alaska, have had two 4+ this week. We apparently had a 5.6 two weeks ago too. I don’t think any of these has even made the news.

It’s kinda cute watching NYers posting online after their brush with death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NoSpoon posted:

It’s kinda cute watching NYers posting online after their brush with death.

In fairness, East Coast construction was not built with earthquakes in mind. While I wouldn't expect an earthquake of this magnitude to cause significant damage, it is the kind of thing that could provoke anxiety in people who might reasonably worry that a slightly bigger one could cause serious damage.

It's like how people pointed at laughed at southern states being paralyzed by light snow, not realizing that the entire state has 3 snowplows, nobody owns winter tires, water lines are buried shallowly because "it never freezes here", etc. Different places prepare for different kinds of disasters. It'd be ridiculous to expect every building in the country to be hardened against earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, temperatures from -30C to +50C, et cetera.